New to incontinence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. I'll get some plastic pants. Yesterday I changed myself less frequently and I ended up using less diapers. I still think I need to run more tests to determine the average life span of one of my diapers. How long is a diaper (Abena M4) expected to last?

matt9615 said:
Ok. I'll get some plastic pants. Yesterday I changed myself less frequently and I ended up using less diapers. I still think I need to run more tests to determine the average life span of one of my diapers. How long is a diaper (Abena M4) expected to last?

That's a subjective thing, but in my personal experience a M4 will last from a minimum of 3/4 hours (if you're keeping yourself well hydrated) to a maximum of 8/9 (if you're not drinking much). So I would say that 6 hours on average conditions is a safe estimate of how long I should reasonably expect to be in one without worrying about leaks.

Basically you want to find the perfect balance between making the max out of your diapers and avoiding leaks.

quattrus said:
Basically you want to find the perfect balance between making the max out of your diapers and avoiding leaks.

Ok. I guess I'll just have to start with trial and error. So far I've been checking my diaper about every two hours.

I've been wearing disposables 24/7 for many years, to check my diaper I see if the wetness has started creeping up the seat of the diaper, if so it'll most likely be prone to leaking soon. This can be done simply by patting or feeling you lower butt for that special wet diaper feel, vs. Sticking a hand down your pants. The front if your diaper will and should normally be wet without requiring a change.

Based on your height, dry 24/7 diapers might work best for you as they run a bit larger unless you skinny. Remember the diaper is there for your convenience, you should be able to wear the same diaper for 4-8 hours before changing if you have a good fitting and high performance diaper. Of course over hydrating can mean more frequent changes... otoh, good hydration keeps the urine more diluted. Balance in everything! Do plan on re-diapering up before any activity where you don't want to be interrupted with a change even if the current diaper isn't fully used.

In keeping your body optimally hydrated and your diapers in a good state always check the color of your urine, clear to light yellow is good dark yellow is bad and will cause a really stinky diaper.

matt9615 said:
Yeah I can see your point about my friends. I will tell them that my incontinence is a GENUINE medical problem and I want support.

I know my first kneejerk reaction to your initial post on this was "you need to find better friends", but after some thought I think that's too rash of a response. They probably just don't know how to react to the situation. It's probably a new and unique experience for them too and they hadn't thought about how it feels to be on the receiving end. Friends will tease and joke, but sometimes it goes too far, and you need to say something if it does.

Confront them on it next time you see them, preferably in person and in private with only one of them at a time. Explain this is not something you can control, and would they tease you if you stuttered or were in a wheelchair? That should give them a powerful reality-check on their behavior, to where they realize their response was both inappropriate and very inconsiderate. It'd be to your benefit if they'd have said "Hey Matt I don't think you noticed your diaper is starting to leak". Don't leave them with the impression that they shouldn't have said anything. If they know about your condition they should be considerate, supportive, and discrete, because that's how friends treat friends. Those are mature adult responses, and it's high time for them to start polishing those behaviors.

I need to explain this to my friends. I've already told one friend a lot about my incontinence. I've said that I can't control my pee and I use diapers to avoid wetting my clothes. Also like the creams I use, why I use the diapers I use, etc....

I think I understand how to check my diaper now and it makes sense that the front of my diaper is usually going to be wet.

matt9615 said:
I think I understand how to check my diaper now and it makes sense that the front of my diaper is usually going to be wet.

If you're keeping your penis pointed down (which you should) then the front of the crotch will get wet first. If with that your front top is wet, your diaper is probably very soaked and is at risk of leaking. (it WILL wick upward a bit, but it's fighting gravity) What you need to be thinking about more is in the back under your cheeks, that's where disposables like to leak. Different things change the risk factors. Sitting down increases your chance of leaking there for example. You'll have to figure out and get used to what's best practice for what you're wearing. (and getting a good, leak-resistant fit will require some time, experimentation, and practice)

bambinod said:
If you're keeping your penis pointed down (which you should) then the front of the crotch will get wet first. If with that your front top is wet, your diaper is probably very soaked and is at risk of leaking. (it WILL wick upward a bit, but it's fighting gravity) What you need to be thinking about more is in the back under your cheeks, that's where disposables like to leak. Different things change the risk factors. Sitting down increases your chance of leaking there for example. You'll have to figure out and get used to what's best practice for what you're wearing. (and getting a good, leak-resistant fit will require some time, experimentation, and practice)

I'm keeping my penis pointed down. It makes sense that disposable diapers leak at the back because sitting for example because the extra pressure on the diaper forces pee out of the pad. I guess it all takes practice. So when I change I should expect the entire diaper to be soaked except for the top part of the diaper in the front. Right?

- - - Updated - - -

Should I air out my skin?

It differs for soaked area, due to various movements. Also, you should air out your skin, mainly after a nice hot shower. It helps, at least for me, to prevent the skin from becoming too sensitive.

quattrus said:
That's a subjective thing, but in my personal experience a M4 will last from a minimum of 3/4 hours (if you're keeping yourself well hydrated) to a maximum of 8/9 (if you're not drinking much). So I would say that 6 hours on average conditions is a safe estimate of how long I should reasonably expect to be in one without worrying about leaks.

I once lasted 14 hours in an L4. I seem to produce less urine overnight.

Should I use a cheap diaper to wear between my room and the shower and then back to my room?

- - - Updated - - -

I have extremely little control over my bladder.

you could use inexpensive pullups from Costco for the transition between rooms.

It's rare for me that a diaper is ever fully utilized without leaking, the dry spots for me tend to be the top rear and almost never the front... most diapers don't wick wetness as far as you might assume (against gravity) meaning a full diaper for practical reasons often will have dry areas. I seem to recall molicare diapers wicked really well and all the padding would be wet, but the other brands (some that hold more!) not so much. Of course position of your penis and body position play roles too...

Hi Matt! My name is Karen and I'm actually in a very similar situation. I am an equestrian, so also love horses, and think dogs are great. Early into November, I began having my first experiences with incontinence. I now need to wear some kind of protection. My best advice so far, is to carry on as close to normal as possible. I haven't let it interfere with what I do, and that's been going well. Good luck!

Hi Karen! It's nice to know there's someone like me. It's cool your an equestrian. Your around my age so that's cool. Have a good day.

Matt

I got some drugstore diapers with tapes to use in between showers so I don't wet anything by accident. They are actually pretty crappy diapers but it's better than peeing on the carpet or somewhere else.

matt9615 said:
I got some drugstore diapers with tapes to use in between showers so I don't wet anything by accident. They are actually pretty crappy diapers but it's better than peeing on the carpet or somewhere else.

Warm water tends to relax the urinary sphincter, so if you have little to no control, your bladder should empty while you shower. You shouldn't really need protection to get back to your room. As for beforehand, simply remove your nappy in the shower, and bag it up before you turn the water on.

Regardless, I'd say that a small towel held over your crotch will do. You don't actually need a nappy for such a short journey.

Just don't tinkle on trigger he gets really mad!

Akastus said:
Warm water tends to relax the urinary sphincter, so if you have little to no control, your bladder should empty while you shower. You shouldn't really need protection to get back to your room. As for beforehand, simply remove your nappy in the shower, and bag it up before you turn the water on.

Regardless, I'd say that a small towel held over your crotch will do. You don't actually need a nappy for such a short journey.

I do have little to no bladder control. I have a few more of the drug store diapers left. Should I use them until I run out and then start taking my diaper off in the shower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back