accident awareness

how aware are you of when you have an accident?

• aware of when i have to go but i dont have long

Votes: 92 59.4%
  • not aware of when i need to go but i can tell when im going

Votes: 49 31.6%
  • not aware at all until after the fact

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • other

Votes: 17 11.0%

• Total voters

chiaochai

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
personally i have no idea when i need to go but i can feel when im actually having an accident, curious on other incontinent peoples experience with this as it seems we all differ a lot

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, sport1 and Ebabyboy12
My issues are fluctuating. When a flare up hits, I only have the feeling right before I’m about to wet myself. During calm periods, I can feel and hold long enough that I don’t need protection during the day. These days are rare now. Usually, I have a five minute warning, which is fine in the office or at home, where I have a bathroom in close and easy access. But on highway, especially stuck in traffic, it just means that I know five minutes in advance that I’m going to pee myself. That’s why I always wear protection when I’m out and there is a chance that I’m not within five minutes from a toilet.

Reactions: lilgirllil, BLtheDL, DiaperGuy08 and 5 others
I can generally tell when I need to pee beforehand, but when I'm having bowel problems it just starts and I realize it while I'm pooping. Bowels I can stop usually, bladder not so much.

Reactions: sport1
I vary. The current state of my neuromuscular disorder determines my degree of control. When I'm doing well I lean towards retention and am not aware I need to go until my bladder is well over 1000mL, at which point it involuntarily empties or sometimes goes into full retention. My daily voiding schedule prevents this scenario during the day, but I still need to wear protection in case there is a sudden shift in my neuromuscular disorder.

There are occasions when I'm doing well and following my voiding schedule, but after kicking back for awhile I suddenly realize I'm wet. Really wet. In a panic to change wet. I've been dribbling heavily with no sensation it was happening. I find this the most disconcerting.

When I'm not doing well, I leak uncontrollably. Leaking is inconvenient, but not serious, unlike other issues going on at the same time.

I can't tell when I am going to pee. It just starts coming out at random times. As far as pooping, I don't know I have to poop until I get a contraction. Once the contraction starts, I have about 3 to 5 seconds before it is coming out and filling my diaper. I have no idea when or where i am going to pee or poop myself so I wear good quality diapers all the time.

I'm somewhere between the first and second options. Usually, it's the first, but if I vomit, or laugh, or move just right, there might not be enough in there to cause, "gotta pee sting", but it's coming out. I've also noticed if my gut makes a water draining sound, I either have minutes to make it before I poop, or I'm not going to make it.

Reactions: sport1
I’m 90 percent not aware I need to go and I’ll be doing something like cleaning, walking or just plain sitting and I’ll feel myself peeing the other 10 percent I’ll get a slight feeling I need to go then I’ll feel myself going. It used to be a big deal in the beginning but over time it’s not.

Most of the time I don't feel it anymore that I have to go, they cut away a good portion of those nerves.
But still I do feel that there's "something" pushing if sitting for too long and the bladder is filling up.
But the moment I stand up it gushes out completely.
When standing I dribble continuously, and often don't feel anything except the liquid passing through the urethra.

At night it's a whole different thing, when lying down the bladder fills up partially, I don't know if I wet in my sleep because I'm diapered 24/7 and am already wet before I fall asleep, but sometimes I do wake up at night with a pressure feeling and then I just have to breathe or turn around and it runs out. I do take a mild sleeping aid and 10mg valium to help relax the pelvis during night time to help with the bladder emptying itself at night but it's not a breakthrough, it helps but not very much but rather that than nothing.
When lying down and waking up with a partially full bladder is painful in a different way because different parts are hit then, where some nerves are still present. But I am pretty sure I wale up more wet than when I fall asleep though.

Any kind of physical action results in complete emptying of the bladder, bending to.
Standing bending forward or backwards have different results, sometimes the urine gets stuck and when moving dribbles out again, other times it shoots out like a water gun, other times it just dribbles.

• Sad
Reactions: jasonm03
I'm not technically incontinent, but do have my few accidents due to not enough time to make it, or at least small accidents where I just barely don't make it and then do. So there are times where I don't have very long for some reason. Sometimes I think it might be caused by my water intake, but other times I'm not sure. My only true major accidents recently have either been in diapers or in bed asleep. So I don't really know. I just picked other.

Reactions: lilgirllil, diaperbobby and richard3
I cannot feel my bladder feeling and don’t know I’m getting ready to pee in till it’s coming out and my diaper is wet. My bowels often work in the same way unless I’m back up and then I need help to go by giving myself an enma. It’s a real pain in the ass. No pun intended.

Reactions: DiaperGuy08 and Deleted member 40705
Weatheronthe8s said:
I'm not technically incontinent, but do have my few accidents due to not enough time to make it, or at least small accidents where I just barely don't make it and then do. So there are times where I don't have very long for some reason. Sometimes I think it might be caused by my water intake, but other times I'm not sure. My only true major accidents recently have either been in diapers or in bed asleep. So I don't really know. I just picked other.
If you're already trained, and you go involuntarily, it's IC. Amount is irrelevant. Mild IC is still IC. IC that isn't permanent is still IC. If you didn't do it purposely, it was IC. Maybe it's episodic. Maybe it's temporary. Maybe it can be solved relatively easily. Maybe it can't. Doesn't mean you did it on purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: FudgedInLuvs, Ebabyboy12 and Weatheronthe8s
Almost always aware, just, better open up the starting gates asap because if I can feel it, I need relief NOW. Other times, especially when my system has been overwhelmed, or I'm on a detox I might feel full, no urge, but then I begin to leak and start running

My incontinence is due to damaged nerves, and is kinda strange at times. Most of the time, I am not aware I need to go, but know when am I going. Sometimes, I know I need to go, and can make it as long as a bathroom is within 20 feet. Other time, specifically after certain sexual stimulation, I can actually know and hold it for about 20 or 30 minutes.

Reactions: mickdl
SpAzpieSweeTot said:
If you're already trained, and you go involuntarily, it's IC. Amount is irrelevant. Mild IC is still IC. IC that isn't permanent is still IC. If you didn't do it purposely, it was IC. Maybe it's episodic. Maybe it's temporary. Maybe it can be solved relatively easily. Maybe it can't. Doesn't mean you did it on purpose.
Yeah. I think it might be an extremely mild form of IC. It is fine usually, but it does become an issue sometimes. There are alot of times I barely make it. So it is strange. I don't know if I consider it enough to need protection. Who knows what will happen over time though?

Azie said:
Other time, specifically after certain sexual stimulation, I can actually know and hold it for about 20 or 30 minutes.
That's pretty normal.
When sexually stimulated, the sphincters will try to close as much as possible to avoid other fluids from entering the bladder or urine from leaving the body.
I could clearly feel this after the sphincterotomy that it was really trying to tighten up but couldn't, well, just a little but not enough.

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21
Usually I feel the need to go and make it to the bathroom. But sometimes, especially after getting up sitting down for a prolonged time, I don’t feel the sudden strong urge until after the stream starts. And I can not stop it once it starts. So zero warning, so I consider the second one most appropriate.

I am aware about 30 minutes before I need to go but the feeling goes away in about fifteen minutes. I am then unaware that I need to go and in another fifteen minutes I am not aware that I need to go until I start to wet. If I am distracted by various things I may be fairly unaware of the need to go and just wet my pants.

Reactions: Weatheronthe8s
Yeah I get a funky sensation in my urethra that tells me I'm currently having an accident, and if that doesn't do it, the warmth if the urine against my skin usually does it. I don't have enough proper sensation in my bladder/groin to know I need to use a restroom. Like, I get some sensations, but they're usually more like mild numb tingling than anything else, and they aren't reflective of a filling bladder specifically. However, unless I have some sort of incredibly slow leak and I'm insanely busy to the point where my attention is entirely focused on something else, I do know when an accident has happened. Accidents without any sort of awareness are just exceedingly rare for me, and tend to be in general.

Reactions: zaronab
Back