accident awareness

how aware are you of when you have an accident?

• aware of when i have to go but i dont have long

Votes: 92 59.4%
  • not aware of when i need to go but i can tell when im going

Votes: 49 31.6%
  • not aware at all until after the fact

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • other

Votes: 17 11.0%

• Total voters
Had my incident last night going to bed. I was taking out my contacts, knew I was going to go as soon as I got them into solution. Working on my second lens, which is not a time consuming process, and began leaking right then and there by the sink. At least I didn't have to go far, but F'n A! When I've had my accidents on the couch, I apologize to my mother and always mention, "think one of these days I'll be back in my personal items all the time", used to say it as a bit of a joke, but think that there is a day like that coming

Well, i voted not aware but feel when I'm going because it's a bit of both
I leak constantly, sometimes I don't feel the urge, sometimes i do (after sitting for a while) but I can't hold it anymore since all muscles are removed
But i do feel when urine passes through the tunnel. Sometimes it still hurts or the nerves are overstimulated when they pass either sphincter but luckily it's no longer blocked

Reactions: sport1 and jamiejamie
Well if I get an urge, then I'd better move fast. Otherwise I could be leaking already and yeah.

Reactions: surprise35
winterheart01 said:
Well, i voted not aware but feel when I'm going because it's a bit of both
I leak constantly, sometimes I don't feel the urge, sometimes i do (after sitting for a while) but I can't hold it anymore since all muscles are removed
But i do feel when urine passes through the tunnel. Sometimes it still hurts or the nerves are overstimulated when they pass either sphincter but luckily it's no longer blocked
That's how I fell just had accident on the way home.

Yeah, it's pretty sudden for me, sometimes I have a few minutes, sometimes not at all.

Reactions: sport1
I’m zero to 60.

For sleeping, if I am really tired, I wait up wet, and sometimes when I am not so tired I wake up wet too. Daytime is a coin toss between, a sudden realization that my bladder is shouting ‘Go (going) now!’, or you have random.randint(0,75) seconds to find a restroom.

Reading the heading of this thread I thought it sounded like a chapter in a Driver’s Ed manual. Personally, I generally have limited awareness of either passing urine or when having a bowel movement. Sometimes I notice the buildup of pressure and have some exterior sense of it occurring and sometimes not even that much.

I’m pretty aware when I’m not diapered, like during the day. But at night when I’m diapered up, I don’t really notice until I’m going.

Although I do have mixed incontinence, stress and urge, for the most part my incontinence is associated with OAB, so I generally experience an extreme urge followed in a few seconds by wetting. On rare occasions I will wet during the night without waking up, but the rest of the time I am aware of my "accidents".

IC from birth. Sensory is mostly normal. I can feel everything. But I have a very strong urgency feeling. Sometimes I have maybe 2 to 3 minutes. The urgency changes by intensity. BM's are usually pretty strong. For some reason I don't poop during sleeping unless about 1 or 2 sleeping accidents per week.

It doesn't happen often, but it normally happens for me in dreams, then I wake up and hate life cause I wasn't wearing a diapered and instead pissed my sheets.

Also is it possible to unpottytrain yourself, has anybody done that?

ShimSham said:
It doesn't happen often, but it normally happens for me in dreams, then I wake up and hate life cause I wasn't wearing a diapered and instead pissed my sheets.
Also is it possible to unpottytrain yourself, has anybody done that?
Stop hating life. Learn to love life. Begin to diaper up 24/7. Finally, you can un-potty train yourself. It takes three to six months.

Reactions: ShimSham
Just as a PSA, maybe it's best to not ask questions about unpotty training in an incontinence forum.

• Love
Reactions: Zeke, hoimi and ClaudTheBear
Milianna said:
Just as a PSA, maybe it's best to not ask questions about unpotty training in an incontinence forum.
Uhhhhhh... yeah.. whoops 😵‍💫
maybe.. should have thought of that

BabyGirlMara said:
I’m pretty aware when I’m not diapered, like during the day. But at night when I’m diapered up, I don’t really notice until I’m going.
I immediately went diapered 24/7 because my accidents were anathema, intensely loathed. There was not any way I was going to permit another accident. Diapers are my best friend.

jdlake131 said:
IC from birth. Sensory is mostly normal. I can feel everything. But I have a very strong urgency feeling. Sometimes I have maybe 2 to 3 minutes. The urgency changes by intensity. BM's are usually pretty strong. For some reason I don't poop during sleeping unless about 1 or 2 sleeping accidents per week.
Usually, I urinate in my sleep and awaken when needing to poop. To help keep the poop in the diaper, I get out of bed when awake to avoid leaking poop onto the bed linens. I have gotten out of bed and stood wondering why I was doing that. Then I discovered my diaper was poop-filled. I had no awareness that I was pooping.

Last edited:
My incontinence has evolved in recent years. I started having intense urges to go and getting caught short or the spasm was so unbearable I’d start peeing with no way to hold it in. Recently I’ve had more times when I start peeing myself with a sharp urge but there is no warning...and after several hours of this it leaks or I full on pee with almost no urge and very little sensation ...just the sensation of being wet. Bowel accidents are happening more often now usually along with the larger pee accidents. Luckily I didn’t have those every day. It’s almost a numb or “open” sensation when I’m having full on incon episodes...it’s a very strange sensation really...theres just a hint of an urge deep inside but not enough warning or awareness that I’m about to lose control and no “hold” reflex to prevent an accident...the “try to hold it” sensation just isn’t there At that point. Those are the most jarring. I’m really learning to adjust now. I’m grateful for this site.

jess

Last edited:
Obviously there are a lot of different causes. I had a stroke in almost 7 years. And I have a list of problems relating my stroke (aphasia, memory, hearing process,vertigo [loss of balance] and double and blurred vision). But of all these issues, non are as bad as IC (double and complete). I've gotten better over time with Bowel IC. I've used a bowel program that's helped. I still have accidents but not as before. Mostly in the morning. I do have issues but they're fewer. For sleeping, I only have a couple of BM accidents per week. In the beginning I had them all the time.

Urinary IC is still a problem. I wet all the time, sleeping and during the day. Yes, it's a real pain. Thank goodness I have pretty strong skin. I rarely get diaper rash (great for Desitin). I've never got rid of having to wear a diaper.

The problems are sometime episodic, delayed signals and issues with sensation. Living with these other problems have made life tough. But... I'm still alive.

I dribble almost constantly, so the only time I really feel anything is an occasional spurt when coughing or climbing stairs.

When the urge hits I have to hurry up. But will notice the dreadfull moment if I can't find the bathroom on time.
But in between urgencies, I often dribbles. I'm aware if that because I feel the leak in my underware or protection. But no prior notice. That's so frustrating !

Reactions: richard3
Back