We have to settle the debate.

Do Pull-Ups Count As Diapers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I still prefer Goodnites. But thinking about buying some "state-of-the-art" ABDL diapers like TryAgains.

When my phone goes off in my front pocket, I sometimes legit panic and think I'm wetting my normal undies at work.

• Haha
Reactions: babykeiff and bigtoddler96
I'd say so. First time I started down the abdl root was buying some pull ups. I still do, really cheep one's for when I want the comfort of a diper but I need to be more discreet. They are a lot cheaper than dipers so they have their advantages. Very poor absorbency though.

i see them as a type of diaper. you have pullup and tab diapers. you have plastic/cloth-backed, and you have cloth diapers

In the UK Pampers have started calling them "Nappy Pants" over the last few years.

As for parents... some of them seem to use them long before they start potty training and more around the time the little one is walking as they are easier to change standing up. This then means the toddler doesn't need to lie down on a mat (and the parent doesn't have to try and keep them on said mat!). In a warm house a least a quick pull down and up is easier if the child doesn't really want to take time out for a bum change. It must work for some though to have them in tape ons because they are made in bigger sizes and I guess there's the situation of if there's clothes on top they are easier to put on and remove as the clothes don't have to come off to put the new nappy on.

I think as more of a teaching aid they can also work for some families whole want something easy to pull up and down without the risk to the sofa, carpet or anything else...

Reactions: babykeiff
Why is it a debate and competition and why does one 'side' have to be definitively excluded and marginalized by authoritatively 'settling' it?

Silly humans and their pecking orders and group conformities. Always having to declare winners and kings of every mundane thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rusher
It doesn't look like this debate is getting settled.

LittleAndAlone said:
Why is it a debate and competition and why does one 'side' have to be definitively excluded and marginalized by authoritatively 'settling' it?

Silly humans and their pecking orders and group conformities. Always having to declare winners and kings of every mundane thing.
Well, if they are nappy pants does that not make them both nappies and pants?!

WoollyAndJoshy said:
Well, if they are nappy pants does that not make them both nappies and pants?!
They are both childish and happy! All that matters. 😁

Reactions: Rusher and WoollyAndJoshy
A lot of my prior experience with diapers was with pull-ups. I find that they aren't quite what I want out of diapers, both absorbancy and feel wise, but when it's what you have access to or it's what fits then it definitely works.

Reactions: Jimbobaby
CowboyCutie said:
A lot of my prior experience with diapers was with pull-ups. I find that they aren't quite what I want out of diapers, both absorbancy and feel wise, but when it's what you have access to or it's what fits then it definitely works.
Personally I don't like any of the pull-ups I've tried...they don't seem to fit well and I'm a heavy wetter so it seems they always leak. I'll only wear plastic backed diapers with tape tabs. But everyone has their preferences.

babykeiff said:
I stated that the term to be from US trading posts and historically from the name of the cloth weave. Another claimed it to be from UK since it is used within Shakespear's play 'Taming of the Shrew'. Since you seem to disagree, in compliance to Stokes and Godden claims that the right to an opinion also includes the obligation to provide rational reasons for that opinion, what is your reason?
" Since you seem to disagree, in compliance to Stokes and Godden claims that the right to an opinion also includes the obligation to provide rational reasons for that opinion, what is your reason?"

Damn! Even that sounds Shakespearian.

• Haha
Jimbobaby said:
Personally I don't like any of the pull-ups I've tried...they don't seem to fit well and I'm a heavy wetter so it seems they always leak. I'll only wear plastic backed diapers with tape tabs. But everyone has their preferences.
In an ideal situation plastics are always preferred, but for realistic use I’m getting behind cloth every time

MiddleJacob said:
I still prefer Goodnites. But thinking about buying some "state-of-the-art" ABDL diapers like TryAgains.

When my phone goes off in my front pocket, I sometimes legit panic and think I'm wetting my normal undies at work.
I’ve got a set of the tryagains and I’ve been so happy with them. definitely recommend when you get the chance!

WoollyAndJoshy said:
In the UK Pampers have started calling them "Nappy Pants" over the last few years.

As for parents... some of them seem to use them long before they start potty training and more around the time the little one is walking as they are easier to change standing up. This then means the toddler doesn't need to lie down on a mat (and the parent doesn't have to try and keep them on said mat!). In a warm house a least a quick pull down and up is easier if the child doesn't really want to take time out for a bum change. It must work for some though to have them in tape ons because they are made in bigger sizes and I guess there's the situation of if there's clothes on top they are easier to put on and remove as the clothes don't have to come off to put the new nappy on.

I think as more of a teaching aid they can also work for some families whole want something easy to pull up and down without the risk to the sofa, carpet or anything else...
These nappy pants you are talking about are confusing to a baby/child during toilet training. I found, and a friend of mine who had their kids in them found that their kids don't really see the difference between underwear that they are supposed to keep dry and a nappy pant that they wet and mess at will in, and the start of the confusion is when one puts a baby/toddler in them out of a percieved convenience.

I presume that the they are prob. the real reason a number of 6+ year olds are attending school still dependant on diapers 24/7. Although, to most ABDLs that might seem like the cats whiskers, but in reality, it is retarding a childs development by keeping them in diapers longer than what is normally needed.

Last edited:
I thi
babykeiff said:
These nappy pants you are talking about are confusing to a baby/child during toilet training. I found, and a friend of mine who had their kids in them found that their kids don't really see the difference between underwear that they are supposed to keep dry and a nappy pant that they wet and mess at will in, and the start of the confusion is when one puts a baby/toddler in them out of a percieved convenience.

I presume that the they are prob. the real reason a number of 6+ year olds are attending school still dependant on diapers 24/7. Although, to most ABDLs that might seem like the cats whiskers, but in reality, it is retarding a childs development by keeping them in diapers longer than what is normally needed.

I think it depends how they are used. I think if they are used as a convenience when the kid isn’t ready then it probably delays daytime dryness.

If when a parent starts potty training they have a potty and some nappy pants (possibly with the still wet feeling liner inside) they may have more success without quite as much mess.

Although, kids make that much mess anyway what difference does a bit of pee make?

WoollyAndJoshy said:
I thi

I think it depends how they are used. I think if they are used as a convenience when the kid isn’t ready then it probably delays daytime dryness.

If when a parent starts potty training they have a potty and some nappy pants (possibly with the still wet feeling liner inside) they may have more success without quite as much mess.

Although, kids make that much mess anyway what difference does a bit of pee make?
I see and agree to your points completely - if they are used just for potty training, then they have a valid function.

I question why a company makes such a product (Size 3) that fits a child of 16lbs to 28lbs which equates to 2mths old to 4years with the average being 16mths old. Companies do not make products that do not sell, or that they have at least done some market research. The conclusion that I come to, and I may be wrong, is that these companies want babies toilet training to be delayed as long as possible - after all, they make money the longer a person uses their products. These same companies advertise the message that as soon as a baby learns to stand, they don't want to lay down for a change, so the parent should support them in using pull on diapers.

To me, that creates two problems :-
  1. if the child is upset at having to lay down to get its diaper changed, it will associate the inconvenience it feels with diapers which might make toilet training a little easier.
  2. if a child is used to diapers being pull-ups, that is teaching the child that there is no difference between a pull-up diaper and pull-up underwear.
I trained my two using cloth training pants - and yes, there were a few (pulls hair out) messes and tantrums, but due to the instant feedback of the cloth, my two (boy and girl) trained in 2-3 days. I don't think that in a nappy pant even with the wet feel, that the feedback would be so instant. Being IC myself, I lined on of my own diapers with a wet-feel pant, and it was not that uncomfortable - as opposed to thin cloth and no plastic pants.

babykeiff said:
I see and agree to your points completely - if they are used just for potty training, then they have a valid function.

I question why a company makes such a product (Size 3) that fits a child of 16lbs to 28lbs which equates to 2mths old to 4years with the average being 16mths old. Companies do not make products that do not sell, or that they have at least done some market research. The conclusion that I come to, and I may be wrong, is that these companies want babies toilet training to be delayed as long as possible - after all, they make money the longer a person uses their products. These same companies advertise the message that as soon as a baby learns to stand, they don't want to lay down for a change, so the parent should support them in using pull on diapers.

To me, that creates two problems :-
  1. if the child is upset at having to lay down to get its diaper changed, it will associate the inconvenience it feels with diapers which might make toilet training a little easier.
  2. if a child is used to diapers being pull-ups, that is teaching the child that there is no difference between a pull-up diaper and pull-up underwear.
I trained my two using cloth training pants - and yes, there were a few (pulls hair out) messes and tantrums, but due to the instant feedback of the cloth, my two (boy and girl) trained in 2-3 days. I don't think that in a nappy pant even with the wet feel, that the feedback would be so instant. Being IC myself, I lined on of my own diapers with a wet-feel pant, and it was not that uncomfortable - as opposed to thin cloth and no plastic pants.

Size 3, well babies do come in all shapes and sizes. I get where you are coming from but equally if people didn’t buy them they wouldn’t make them.

I still think (and will always think) that nappy pants are only good if you think the wearer might make it to the toilet and it’s no more than a safety net.

While I don’t really agree with the idea I know the argument of baby doesn’t want to lay down for a quick change is the argument that will be put forward. However, I still think if they aren’t ready to be trained and you know they won’t use the toilet, it’s not an issue but they should wear side opening nappies rather than nappy pants. By the time they are 3-4 years old, they might then decide they don’t want to be a baby and want to be a so called “big” boy or girl (as much as many of us on here may see it as the famous potty trap!).

Making a child decide they do want to learn is half the battle, but I know for sure nappy pants are very impractical if the wearer isn’t trying to train.

I believe they count, on the condition that they are also absorbent garments. Granted absorbency may vary!🙄

I honestly flip flop on the issue. If my friends are wearing pull-ups and they're trying to use that as justification to show how big they are then you bet I'm calling them diapers and that they're babies for wearing them xD

But in all honesty, while I certainly don't consider pull-ups actual "normal" undies they're definitely not diapers either.

I mean, if they're diapers then they'd be called diapers. If you have a pack of pull-ups and a pack of diapers in your closet, and you ask someone to grab you a diaper from your closet, the person is going to grab a diaper and you're going to be expecting them to...otherwise you would have asked for a pull-up.

To me it's mainly intent/the target demographic that defines what a diaper and what a pull-up is.

In general, a pull-up may or may not be used by the person wearing it and if it is used, the amount it's used, relative to a diaper, is minimal. Usually pull-ups are intended to handle just wetting accidents, and relatively minor ones at that and are meant to complement potty use.

Diapers on the other hand are expected to be the potty. When someone is put in/wearing a diaper, it's expected to have to be changed at some point from use (of course there are those that wear for fun who don't use their diapers, but the diaper's intended design is for it to be used).

These points, to me, make a definitive difference between the 2.

Reactions: MiddleJacob
I am 48 and weigh between 175 and 185 (fluctuate) . I buy the Huggies Goodnites XL and use them for work . They work quite well during hotter months for me . During colder weather I use regular tab style diapers . I prefer a 2 tape style diaper because I’m active and I feel they fit me better . I like the rearz select and love the abuniverse sdk and even kiddos , which sadly they put on a shelf . As a daily diaper for work I have found the Molicare 8D is a great diaper . With 2 Velcro tapes they work well . I use with onesie during work .

Back