We have to settle the debate.

Do Pull-Ups Count As Diapers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
babykeiff said:
Do you think that Shakespear and/or the charachters in The Taming of the Shrew were ABDL / wore diapers?
The way I'm reading this, you're the only one making a claim about the function of a "diaper" 400 years ago.

Anyway, in today's meaning, I'd say a technically pull-up qualifies, but just really isn't the same at all.

Bearcatz said:
The way I'm reading this, you're the only one making a claim about the function of a "diaper" 400 years ago.
I stated that the term to be from US trading posts and historically from the name of the cloth weave. Another claimed it to be from UK since it is used within Shakespear's play 'Taming of the Shrew'. Since you seem to disagree, in compliance to Stokes and Godden claims that the right to an opinion also includes the obligation to provide rational reasons for that opinion, what is your reason?

Yes for toddler pull-ups because toddler pull-ups tend to have more padding and higher absorbency.
No for adult pull-ups because adult pull-ups tend to have less padding and lower absorbency.

If ABDL pull-ups that look like toddler pull-ups were to come out, then I can maybe count them as diapers.

babykeiff said:
in compliance to Stokes and Godden claims that the right to an opinion also includes the obligation to provide rational reasons for that opinion, what is your reason?
Now my opinion is you're just looking to argue and derail the thread. Well, I'm not biting so chill out.

To me pull-ups are diapers, just different from tape-on diapers.

As someone else said - all pull-ups are diapers but not all diapers are pull-ups.

BabyDenise said:
To me pull-ups are diapers, just different from tape-on diapers.

As someone else said - all pull-ups are diapers but not all diapers are pull-ups.

yes they are

If you can go poo-poo or pee-pee in it without it leaking it's a diaper... and If you can be made fun of for being too old for it it's a diaper. this reminds me of that pampers slogan "I'm a big kid now" It felt insulting because it obviously wasn't the case.

Doctorimstr03k said:
I want everyone’s HONEST opinion on the matter
I would say pull ups count as padding, they are not a diaper as such, and are intended for light wetting, as they don't provide anything like the level of protection as a diaper does. That said, they are protection and designed to serve a purpose, they are also useful for discretion, when and if needed.

babykeiff said:
Shakespear used 'diaper' in 'Taming of the Shrew' Let one attend him with a silver basin Full of rosewater and bestrewed with flowers, Another bear the ewer, the third a diaper where the word diaper refers to a washcloth and/or a type of cloth. In no form would one hand a lady / gentleman a diaper / nappy to use to wash oneself.

The next line in the play almost confirms this - And say, “Will ’t please your Lordship cool your hands?”

Do you think that Shakespear and/or the charachters in The Taming of the Shrew were ABDL / wore diapers?

The type of weave of this cloth was made to be thick, soft and absorbant, and is a type of twill weave (note double or thick). In Shakespearean reference, this could also be used as a type of towel to dry one's hands. It was never supposed to be used as something to contain pee / poop in that era!
Hand me a diaper, is indeed a reference to washcloth/flannel in this context. However it is nevertheless funny! :ROFLMAO: Imagine being handed a soggy diaper to cleanse your brow. :unsure::ROFLMAO:(y):giggle:

• Love
Reactions: babykeiff
They let me avoid the potty, thats enough for it to count in my eyes

Reactions: JazzBaby and ILuvDiapers
In my mind, a nappy/diaper and a pull-up are two distinct things. A nappy is something that tapes round the waist, if I hear the word nappy I will never think of a pull-up.

Reactions: ILuvDiapers and babybenji
Having worn both as a kid I definitely don't consider pull-ups in the same category as a taped diaper. When I was wearing diapers as a kid in the late 90's/early 00's taped diapers were pretty thick and the 'taped' aspect was what more-so defined them as a diaper for me. As other's have said, were I to hear the word nappy/diaper or read it or w/e I wouldn't think of a pull-up.

I think, for children at least and probably the manufacturer's view, pull-ups are supposed to be the final step before 'big boy/girl underwear'. I think they're intentionally 'less-diapery', if that makes sense? To help with potty training and the eventual transition to regular underwear.

Pull-ups, even back in the late 90's/early 00's, had considerably less padding than diapers did IIRC and were more for a smaller volume of wetting. I was always placed into a diaper at night for that very reason, diapers just held more pee than a pull-up.

This isn't to say pull-ups didn't/don't serve a useful purpose and/or aren't considered at least in the same category as diapers.

Reactions: ILuvDiapers
I wear bed wetting underwear in the evenings when I’m going on walks. I can walk for upwards of 4 miles and be out for a few hours using them as needed, and they rarely leak. They may not be intended as diapers but I use them as such and work fine.
But things like good nights are probably more diaper-like. I read that potty training pull-ups are designed to be uncomfortable when wet, to discourage their use, but in bedwetting the kid doesn’t mean to, so the designer probably wants to keep her comfortable. Accidents happen.
This, they may be more useful as diapers than true pull-ups.

Last edited:
While rereading these posts, I notice multiple views in that a pull-up might or might not be a diaper. That is where I see the difference - the indecision, but that indecision is more to do, in my opinion, with useage rather than the product.

A diaper/nappy is something that is put on another, usually by a career of someone who needs to wear it i.e. a parent putting a diaper/nappy on a baby.

The pull-up can be placed on another, but usually is put on by the wearer.

Both products are supposed to fulfill the same function, but experience here tells us that the pull-up is a facimile, or a weak copy at best. The missing interaction is, what I suppose is what the baby / adult baby is looking for. The end feelings of bulk between the legs exist with both products, but the self perception of one as a baby when wearing a pull-up is non-existant. The image is wrong - to me.

When I look at the progress to pull-up type diapers for babies, I also see the link between older and older children still needing diapers in school and later in life, and I ask, is this an engineered progression by companies to increase protection usage as a way to increase profits? .... and also the source of the confusion of what a diaper/nappy is and what a pull-up is - and maybe the reason for the OP question?

Functionaly, changing a babies soiled pull-up diaper adds complication to an already hands on process. With a baby lying down, the task is easier. Where the baby is can stand, there is the complication of lifting the baby to a standing position, holding the baby, and then pulling up the pull-up diaper. The baby might wet a little when the weight of internal organs presses its bladder, so not only do you have wee all over the place, one has to restart the cleanup. I don't know how most here would do it, but in that case, I prefer the tape on diapers. Pull-ups are best used during toilet training etc - as they avoid any mistake in the childs mind between a diaper and underwear.

Last edited:
As Akura and others have stated correctly Pull-Ups aren't essentially a diaper but do indeed serve a purpose. Children's Pull-Ups are designed to act as protective underwear as they move away from diapers into underwear. Also older children with bedwetting issues might, and do use them as night time protection. Adult Pull Ups are designed for moderate urinary incontinence, and less obvious in terms of discretion.

I have worn everything children's Pull-Ups, Adult Pull-Ups, medical grade diapers, as an incontinent toddler/child/adult. I have now progressed onto ABDL diapers and been awarded with my golden star ⭐. (y) :giggle:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Akura and babykeiff
From this Momma's perspective,

No. Pull-ups and diapers are different.

Diapers are more secure. Not only for leakage or capacity issues, but it's harder to remove them for my fidgety boy.

Tug down pull-ups in sleep, and the bed is ruined. Both of us are soaked in pee.

Diapers don't come off even if you tug them.

Diapers win.

Reactions: babykeiff
Yes and no. Pull-ups serve a different function than a diaper (at least in my mind). A pull-up says that you might be able to make it to the toilet and it’s just there in case you don’t. A diaper is there because you can’t (or won’t) make it and is meant to be worn for a longer period of time.

Reactions: ILuvDiapers and bdale
Pullups and diapers serve different purposes for me.

Daytime I can wear pullups, for bed I must wear a diaper.

Yes a pullup is a diaper. I like wearing them when I want something discreet. It's an absorbent underwear garment, which is essentially the dictionary definition. There isn't a compacity limitation, or a tape requirement, just that it is secured around the waist, which it is with the elastic.

Back