Thumb sucking because you were denied a pacifier?

What do you prefer?

• Total voters

IcyBlue

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Carer
When I was about 3 I wasn’t allowed to have a pacifier anymore but, that backfired on my parents when I just ended up sucking my thumb. It wasn’t until I was about to start school at 5 I was strongly encouraged not to suck my thumb at all.
Now that I’m finally starting to embrace my comforts again at 29, I tried sucking my thumb but it feels too big in my mouth. It was somewhat pleasant and made me feel very little though… I have purchased 6 different pacifier from multiple stores online to find out if it’s something I will enjoy.

If you sucked your thumb; was it for a similar reason?
Do you still suck your thumb?
Does sucking your thumb make you feel little?
Do you prefer pacifier more and why?
Recommended pacifiers?
Do you suck on your plushies/stuffies?
Is there something that gets you out of the sucking habit?

Last edited:
Oh man, I used to be a really really bad thumb sucker (i dont think i ever took to a binky). To the point were the skin on my thumb was coming off (ya gross). Same as you, partents cracked down hard when it was time to go to school. I dont think i ever got over the comfort tho, i do this thing where i tuck my thumbs in between my index finger and middle finger. Like when someone pretends they took your nose. I never noticed i was doing it untill my wife pointed it out and im currently 35. I also still play with my hair alot like when i sucked my thumb. I prefer my binky now as its more comfortable and saves my thumbs.😬
As for recommendations, unfortunately im still new to using a binky. I have one from LFB and a size 9? from pacifier addicts. I like them both for different reasons. Mostly depends on the situation.

Reactions: IcyBlue
I sucked my thumb for a long time as a child (no pacifier). I like sucking my thumb still, but prefer a pacifier

I don't remember ever using a pacifier. Consequently, I don't remember my parents taking a pacifier away from me.

On the other hand, as far back as I can remember (to 4 or 5 years old), I have enjoyed sucking my thumb and I still do.

I tried to hide it when I was younger but that didn't work. My parents told me numerous times to stop but I never did. Once they brought a speciial nail polish so that when I sucked my thumb, it would taste very bitter. That didn't help much.

I never had trouble with my teeth due to thumb sucking.

I was a weird baby, the only thing my parents could get me to suck and that calmed me down was the old style bottle nipple that goes on the disposable bag style bottles, I never found a picture of theses, it was a normal plastic bottle but that didn't have a bottom, you placed a disposable kind of bag into it and placed the nipple over it. They had to create makeshift pacifiers with that, all others didn't work, now that I think of it, it was probably the earliest sign of Autism I've ever expressed. I never sucked my thumb according to my parents, and I quickly didn't need a pacifier shortly after my 2nd birthday my aunt (long long story, she took care of me because my mother had to stay at the hospital for my brother birth, she was at risk and she was in bed for 1 month before my brother birth) so my aunt that was babysitting me cause my father was way too busy, weened me out of that habit along with the bottle at the same time.

I was never given a pacifier as a baby. I sucked my thumb until sometime shortly before kindergarten.

As an adult, I vastly prefer a pacifier. The best part is that it’s hands-free! I work from home and often have my pacifier in while I’m at my desk. It only has to come out when I get a call.

It also amuses me how automatically I suck on it when it’s in. It just happens. If only diaper use could be so easy.

• Love
I was never a thumb sucker, I don't know how long I had a pacifier, I don't remember one.

One of my siblings still sucked their thumb into their teens. They would be laying on the couch or their bed reading books with their thumb in their mouth, I wonder if they even knew they put it in or it was just so much of a habit as they never had stopped. Mom would scold them and they would take it out. I think they would get a little embarrassed in their teens, which make me think it wasn't on purpose.

As far as now I have a few baby pacifiers (18-36 month) and a few of the cheap "Size 6" adult ones that almost all the ABDL places sell. I have mixed feelings on them as it gets uncomfortable after a while, I tried sleeping with them but they usually don't stay in all night, only twice have I woke up with it still in (the size 6 one never the baby), the first time my front teeth felt a little sore in the morning so I didn't use it for a long time after that, the next time I didn't have that problem. I have seen on other threads that you really need to get the size 8 or 10 (though some say the 10 is too big it is going to vary by person) as the 6's tend to not reach far enough in and so there is too much pressure up front on your teeth.

• Love
I can't remember having a pacifier but I sucked my thumb for years. My mom kept telling me it would push my teeth outward. She even used alum on my thumbs to get me to stop.

Sucked my thumb until 2nd grade. Really prefer my pacis now, though.

The main reasons my mother gave me to stop were that it would lead me to have bad front teeth and it leads to smoking. So I pretty much quit “smoking” from an early age 😹
The scare tactics worked but they had to make me feel very self conscious before that I now realise…

Reactions: dogboy
I sucked my thumb when I was a kid until I was 12 or 13, not all the time but usually after my mother pinned my diapers on at night because I still wet my bed. I stopped sucking my thumb around the time I started playing with myself under my diapers at night. However years later I started sucking my thumb again on those occasions I got to wear diapers and rubber pants for a day or two. Once I was diapered for the night and in bed, sticking my thumb in my mouth and sucking it seemed to happen naturally, almost automatically. Once I told my now wife about my love for wearing diapers and rubber pants and wetting myself, I started sucking my thumb at night again and now do it every night as I fall asleep. My wife at first tried to stop me by pulling my thumb out of my mouth but eventually gave up, telling me if she could put up with sleeping next to her husband wearing diapers and rubber pants and wetting them during the night, she could put up with me sucking my thumb.

I could never get myself to use my thumb. When I was an infant, I only used a pacifier. When I was initially weened, I didn’t use my thumb because I didn’t know I could. Then, when I was six, one of my classmates in kindergarten would suck his thumb during story time, but was told to stop due to distraction. I did it myself for a short period, but only because I wanted attention. Now as an adult, I will exclusively use a pacifier. I tried several times to use a thumb, but I could not get the habit to stick. I even tried to use rubber gloves to mimic the taste and feel, but the result was the same. However, very recently, I got my hands on a pacifier from Dion413 which uses a circle guard and a cherry pop teat (latex of course). This pacifier mimics thumb sucking very well in my opinion. If you wish to stop using the thumb and switch to a pacifier without sacrificing the feel you’re familiar with, I recommend this circle guard and cherry pop teat option! The cherry pop teat comes in latex and silicone!

ilove sucking on my paci but I stilll suck on my thumb out of habit and I’m twenty

I was never a thumb sucker and parents said I never took a pacifier. Now I absolutely love my pacifier and sleep with it every night 😍

• Love
I just got 2 lots of 2 new pacifier in the mail today 😻
I’m melting thinking about sleeping with one tonight! 💕
27C4804F-1173-4426-A39C-AE726E9149CF.jpeg

Reactions: CrazySmoker
Thumb sucked till 5years old, pacifier as an adult

It was a glorious night of pacifier but I had a small dribble rash in the morning 🙀
There is quite a few people that selected “plushies/stuffies” in the poll which makes me wonder what makes them “tasty” for lack of a better term?

I chewed on my clothing, and hummed, but didn't suck my thumb that i recall. I do remembor having a paci in my earliest memories when i was around 2. sadly I don't remember diapers.

I never wanted to quit using a paci, and now that I can have one again I love it.

Last edited:
IcyBlue said:
It was a glorious night of pacifier but I had a small dribble rash in the morning 🙀
There is quite a few people that selected “plushies/stuffies” in the poll which makes me wonder what makes them “tasty” for lack of a better term?
I think it means they turned to plushies for comfort not sucking or chewing them. But i could be wrong.

• Haha
Back