The future of plastic backed diapers, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenstheboy

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hi y'all

Im 100% DL and for me its a must that the diapers are plastic backed.

Sometimes I have this "fear" that plastic backing in the next.. say... 10 years will be discontinued because of environment regulations and what not.

Do you think plastic backed diapers will seize to exist? Will they just become "rare"? And do you think my "fear" is irrational.

Have a nice day!

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: MegaLugia, BobbiSueEllen, ILuvDiapers and 1 other person
jenstheboy said:
Hi y'all

Im 100% DL and for me its a must that the diapers are plastic backed.

Sometimes I have this "fear" that plastic backing in the next.. say... 10 years will be discontinued because of environment regulations and what not.

Do you think plastic backed diapers will seize to exist? Will they just become "rare"? And do you think my "fear" irrational.

Have a nice day!
I think it's inevitable that they'll be phased out at some point.

I was the same re plastic backed but I'm not as bothered nowadays. I much prefer tena proskin slip maxi these days and find plastic backed can get a bit irritating especially when trying to sleep at night.

Reactions: LifeGoesOn223, MegaLugia and Pinkman123
They're all plastic-backed, so environmental considerations as to the backing/outer-foil are irrelevant.

• Love
  • Thinking
Reactions: EcoIncon, Pino, soggybottoms8882 and 7 others
I worry as well that due to environment law that they will be be one day. I don’t like reusables at all. They said I think the world had a lot of other priorities to work through so this might not happen for a wile specifically for medical versions.

Reactions: LifeGoesOn223, MegaLugia, Pinkman123 and 1 other person
It better not happen! I only prefer plastic backed diapers, and don't even like the thought of using a cloth backed diaper because PE ones aren't around anymore. They need to live on!

• Haha
Reactions: soggybottoms8882, Ortler, ILuvDiapers and 1 other person
As they are all made of plastic I doubt “plastic” diapers will go away. However as patents for cloth backed diapers begin to expire I do think we will see more cloth like adult diapers on the market. A few good examples are the Tena and Seni line of products. They are by far the best I have used aside from an ABU little king. Once they get the tapes correct across the board I foresee them becoming the new staple. The Seni Super and Quattro have become my go to bedwetting diaper.

Reactions: ILuvDiapers
I prefer the feel of the plastic plus I feel they’re more leak-proof than the cloth backed.

Also, I’d love for the plastic backed to be more environment friendly while still maintaining its quality.

Reactions: soggybottoms8882, MegaLugia, Dragon64 and 2 others
jamiejamie said:
I prefer the feel of the plastic plus I feel they’re more leak-proof than the cloth backed.

Also, I’d love for the plastic backed to be more environment friendly while still maintaining its quality.
Plastic backed diapers are more effective at preventing leaks and seep through. I think some manufactures are experimenting with hybrid versions, both cloth and plastic combined. Plastic backed diapers are also better at containing odours.

Reactions: soggybottoms8882, MegaLugia and Pinkman123
ade said:
They're all plastic-backed, so environmental considerations as to the backing/outer-foil are irrelevant.
Not sure all are?

Reactions: MegaLugia
I hope they don’t get rid of plastic backed diapers I always prefer to wear plastic backed diapers instead of cloth diapers

• Love
Reactions: soggybottoms8882, MegaLugia, theancientmariner and 5 others
MrDiaperLoverUK said:
I hope they don’t get rid of plastic backed diapers I always prefer to wear plastic backed diapers instead of cloth diapers
I think we are safe for a while yet. (y) :giggle:

Reactions: MegaLugia, Pinkman123 and MrDiaperLoverUK
ILuvDiapers said:
Plastic backed diapers are more effective at preventing leaks and seep through. I think some manufactures are experimenting with hybrid versions, both cloth and plastic combined. Plastic backed diapers are also better at containing odours.
I agree. Every time I wear a cloth backed, I can feel the wetness seeping thru the backing so it’s a No for me.

Reactions: soggybottoms8882, MegaLugia, Pinkman123 and 1 other person
Plastic is going the way of the rotary-dial landline, I fear. They are my preference but they are getting to be much harder to come by.

I get it. Our understanding of waste management is much better than it was years ago, though a lot of it strikes me as performative.

Every now and then you hear about biodegradable plastics or something that will essentially 'eat' plastics. Should they ever come to pass and should diaper manufacturers ever find a way to incorporate them, I expect they will be a hit.

Reactions: Pinkman123
I think it is a percentage thing. So long as plastic backed stay below a percentage of the majority, there will always be something available.
I have come to like the Seni Quatro during the day. They hold alot and have very sturdy in the side panels, unlike most cloth type. But with cloth must come a plastic pant to round out the overall vintage vibe. And I still want my Abena L4's at night.

• Love
Reactions: MegaLugia, Pinkman123, ILuvDiapers and 1 other person
jenstheboy said:
Sometimes I have this "fear" that plastic backing in the next.. say... 10 years will be discontinued because of environment regulations and what not
The "cloth-like" backings are often a woven plastic, so they use as much or more plastic then regular plastic backed diapers.

As far as plastic backed going away, we already went through this crisis back around 2012 when depend and abena discontinued their plastic backed diapers. In response, XP medical and northshore came out with their own diapers, and Casey bought out ABU and started to turn the company around. Depend and Abena realized they'd made a huge mistake and quietly re-launched their plastic backed products.

I just can't see plastic backed ever going away as long as there's demand for it. Worst case, they'll re-label the diapers as "sex toys" or "absolutely normal underwear" to get around any bans.

• Thinking
Reactions: MegaLugia, Pinkman123 and ILuvDiapers
ade said:
Ah! Therein lies the rub. Continued propagandization by manufacturers and the mindless Disciples of Al Gore that plastic diapers are bad, bad, bad...and that clothlike diapers are good, good, good. And you're right...

IT IS ALL PLASTIC.
It all takes decades to break down. No disposable diaper is more virtuous than the next...but they sure sell the lie wholesale. Guess people love being lied to.

• Love
Reactions: soggybottoms8882, MegaLugia, Deleted member 56273 and 4 others
Will not comply.

• Haha
Reactions: MegaLugia, ILuvDiapers and Edgewater
BobbiSueEllen said:
Ah! Therein lies the rub. Continued propagandization by manufacturers and the mindless Disciples of Al Gore that plastic diapers are bad, bad, bad...and that clothlike diapers are good, good, good. And you're right...

IT IS ALL PLASTIC.
It all takes decades to break down. No disposable diaper is more virtuous than the next...but they sure sell the lie wholesale. Guess people love being lied to.
As far as I'm aware, no one has EVER tried to claim that the cloth-like backing on "cloth-backed" disposable diapers is more environmentally friendly. Everyone knows it's made of plastic. Seriously, show me where any company has tried to make that claim; post a link. This is just fear-mongering.

Companies are driven by profit. If there ever comes a time when few enough people are buying plastic-backed diapers that companies can't make a profit by continuing to manufacture them, they'll stop. Until that time comes, I think we're safe.

Reactions: MegaLugia, Eclectic, espectro and 2 others
avery said:
As far as I'm aware, no one has EVER tried to claim that the cloth-like backing on "cloth-backed" disposable diapers is more environmentally friendly. Everyone knows it's made of plastic. Seriously, show me where any company has tried to make that claim; post a link. This is just fear-mongering.

Companies are driven by profit. If there ever comes a time when few enough people are buying plastic-backed diapers that companies can't make a profit by continuing to manufacture them, they'll stop. Until that time comes, I think we're safe.
Perhaps, but tell that to the consumer. On average, they think clothlike is more environmentally-friendly. And corporations welcome such assumption because it means sales. Get that cheddar any way ya can...

Reactions: ade and MegaLugia
I think that more ABDL diapers would switch to cloth-backed in the future because baby diapers nowadays are cloth-backed and having those ABDL diapers cloth-backed makes them look more like baby diapers.

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: DLWee and ILuvDiapers
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back