Guest viewing is limited
  • Guests can only view a limited number of pages. Please log in or register to remove this limit.
  • 4 guest views remaining

My Sewing Thread: AB Clothing and Diaper Projects (pic heavy)

KnappFlannel said:
Thanks!

And thank you for posting šŸ¤Æ I'm working on it right now, but I completely forgot about the copy of the builder diaper pattern. Should be done with everything in 2-3 hours.

btw, what's your preferred paper printing size?

View attachment 67332
Normal print size, 8.5x11 and thanks again!

Reactions: KnappFlannel and BobbiSueEllen
KnappFlannel said:
Vinyl for plastic pants are definitely one of the more finicky materials to work with. If you ever do get to sewing and are using vinyl, I have 2 or 3 good articles about sewing with vinyl.
I would like to see the articles

I was going to 'do' leg-warmers a few years ago šŸ˜
For my skin condition, though, not for fashion. Alas, I'd have to have suspenders for them as I can't wear tight clothing (inc. elastications) because of the condition.
I did buy an arm & leg warmer set (the latter being thigh-length socks), though, to see how they'd fare; the socks were too tight, though (Chinese [one size fits all] sizing šŸ˜’).

Last edited:
  • Sad
I wish I was great to sew clothes. i found some my little pony fabric at the local store. I want to make something of it. It had been perfect to sew pj or maybe a romper.

NorGirlBaby said:
I wish I was great to sew clothes. i found some my little pony fabric at the local store. I want to make something of it. It had been perfect to sew pj or maybe a romper.
If your knitting is anything to go by, you'll be okay at it šŸ˜‰

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Blacksmith said:
I would like to see the articles
Happy to! I'll try to convo them this weekend.

ade said:
I was going to 'do' leg-warmers a few years ago šŸ˜
For my skin condition, though, not for fashion. Alas, I'd have to have suspenders for them as I can't wear tight clothing (inc. elastications) because of the condition.
I did buy an arm & leg warmer set (the latter being thigh-length socks), though, to see how they'd fare; the socks were too tight, though (Chinese [one size fits all] sizing šŸ˜’).
That stinks Ade! - the one-size-fits-all thing irks me too.

Agreed :oops:, this pattern would definitely not work with any sort of skin condition concerns.

I had a thought though if you were keen to make something that might keep your legs covered and stay up without too much trouble, how about a pair of those leggings 'chap' style pants sometimes used for potty-training? -basically a pair of sweatpants sans crotch but with a waistband :ROFLMAO:.

For fabric that won't irritate, I can absolutely recommend cotton velour. The good quality stuff is the single only fabric I've found that stays buttery soft, even if it gets damp or wet. I have found the bamboo velour tends to get crunchy over time and loses softness and feels rough when wet.

For garment longevity, you can get velour cut with 5-10% poly in the base without losing any of the softness šŸ‡.

NorGirlBaby said:
Hey we all get started somewhere. I began with a $15 thrift store machine and zero knowledge of sewing. A few pages back on this thread I posted pics of some my early attempts. They are pretty darn awful :D.

KnappFlannel said:
had a thought though if you were keen to make something that might keep your legs covered and stay up without too much trouble, how about a pair of those leggings 'chap' style pants sometimes used for potty-training? -basically a pair of sweatpants sans crotch but with a waistband
Oh, I've thought about chaps šŸ¤£
Actually, I've got some suspender type clips knocking about, somewhere (I may have bought them in anticipation) šŸ¤”
I saw, somewhere, them being attached to a T-shirt [to leggings] and from trad diaper to leggings.
At the moment, and not to jinx it, I don't need them, but I'll keep my options open šŸ˜‰

I hope the holidays weren't too crazy for everyone, especially for those who didn't have people around to spend it with. I was ridiculously sick over the past two and half weeks, but now I'm over the hump as it were...and there has been just enough time to sew a completely new style of diaper cover for Christmas:

Cut Pieces 01.jpeg finished cover 03.jpeg

I need to test it a few more times, but I think I have a new favorite overnight cloth diaper cover. It's made with 2 fleece body layers, a fleece soaker pad, and enclosed waist/leg bands. Even with 3 layers, it breathes better than PUL or plastic, and no wet bedding in the morning.

I really like this style of design. It 'cuts' well for adult proportions and is very much an authentic baby/toddler style cover if that's your jam. Here is what it looks like (front, side, and back) over two Changing Times prefolds.

Fleece Soaker Cover 01.jpgFleece Soaker Cover 02.JPGmmfleece fit 03.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: xxPampersBoyxx, Angelapinks, Tommy10 and 5 others
Glad to hear that your feeling better! Itā€™s never fun getting sick, especially around the holidays.

Gotta say those look comfy and look good on you.

• Love
I'm a pretty smart cookie with computers.. yet, pattern drafting is a whole lot of voodoo to me.

I'm half tempted to take a course.

KnappFlannel said:
(1987-88) Pampers clone pocket diaper pt 2 - Fit

I'm not usually one to point out just how much I like something that I've made...but this to me this fits and feels and moves exactly like the Pampers I had to wear at night.

fit at front
View attachment 57966

fit at rear
View attachment 57968

fit on side
View attachment 57969
I absolutely LOVE the look of these. Iā€™d buy one in a hot second if they were available. I wish I was as good as you at making patterns or even get back into sewing. I used to work for a company that made baby clothes and accessories - we didnā€™t make diapers though, only covers.
Iā€™ve always wanted a cloth diaper thatā€™s constructed and fits like a disposable. I hope you can go far with your design. As Iā€™m sure you know, itā€™s uniqueness has the potential to be something people will be willing to pay extra for.

ā¤ļøšŸ¦•šŸ§øLittle Red HoodiešŸ¦–šŸ¼šŸšœ

• Love
KnappFlannel said:
I hope the holidays weren't too crazy for everyone, especially for those who didn't have people around to spend it with. I was ridiculously sick over the past two and half weeks, but now I'm over the hump as it were...and there has been just enough time to sew a completely new style of diaper cover for Christmas:

View attachment 68922 View attachment 68923

I need to test it a few more times, but I think I have a new favorite overnight cloth diaper cover. It's made with 2 fleece body layers, a fleece soaker pad, and enclosed waist/leg bands. Even with 3 layers, it breathes better than PUL or plastic, and no wet bedding in the morning.

I really like this style of design. It 'cuts' well for adult proportions and is very much an authentic baby/toddler style cover if that's your jam. Here is what it looks like (front, side, and back) over two Changing Times prefolds.

View attachment 68924View attachment 68925View attachment 68926
I love how you look like a toddler wearing them. :love:

• Love
tobid03 said:
I love how you look like a toddler wearing them. :love:
Wow, that is great to hear a confirmation from someone else! :D. That idea is half the battle of my drafting process. I thought it was possible I might at least be getting close with some of my projects. I am adult proportioned physically, mostly ;) - it doesn't hurt to have the same measurement for your waist and hips.

Many of my projects are taking baby / toddler patterns and redrafting them to adult sizes, which can be a process on its own as adult proportions are quite different.

Though it adds an additional layer of difficulty I aim to draft every Little / AB project to fit in a way so as to make the wearer appear to be proportioned as or at least closer to the proportional range of a toddler of baby. Thanks again for commenting!

• Love
Reactions: WillFord384, BobbiSueEllen and tobid03
KnappFlannel said:
Wow, that is great to hear a confirmation from someone else! :D. That idea is half the battle of my drafting process
Not thought about one of those 'realistic baby masks' to help create the look?

• Haha
Reactions: KnappFlannel
LittleBoyInTheRedHoodie said:
I absolutely LOVE the look of these. Iā€™d buy one in a hot second if they were available. I wish I was as good as you at making patterns or even get back into sewing. I used to work for a company that made baby clothes and accessories - we didnā€™t make diapers though, only covers.
Iā€™ve always wanted a cloth diaper thatā€™s constructed and fits like a disposable. I hope you can go far with your design. As Iā€™m sure you know, itā€™s uniqueness has the potential to be something people will be willing to pay extra for.

ā¤ļøšŸ¦•šŸ§øLittle Red HoodiešŸ¦–šŸ¼šŸšœ
Thank you for such positive feedback :D. I keep threatening to make a run of 20 or 30 to sell. We'll see...I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

By the by, if you don't mind sharing what would be your dream disposable (brand/year/style) made into a reusable cloth diaper?

I can't make any promises or estimate when I would be able to get to it...but I keep a running list for future projects :D.

ade said:
Not thought about one of those 'realistic baby masks' to help create the look?
Oh No, ade!
koolaid man 01.jpg
just oh no

Welp, looks like you found my line šŸ¤£

...and might possibly be trying to haunt my dreams lol.

TeddyUrsadorable said:
I'm a pretty smart cookie with computers.. yet, pattern drafting is a whole lot of voodoo to me.

I'm half tempted to take a course.
For what it's worth, I'd say having a handle on the computer stuff is 75% of the game already, especially if you already can do interesting things in Inkscape, Illustrator, or even AutoCAD.

Beyond some foundation basics and familiarizing with a few different approaches to design and drafting, it seems like P.T. Barnum was correct, "There's an ass for every seat" šŸ˜†. I wish I knew of a fundamentals course I could recommend. Early last year I spent time researching a few, and the one I ended up taking at least confirmed for me I already knew what I was doing, but was nowhere near a good value for the cost.

KnappFlannel said:
Thank you for such positive feedback :D. I keep threatening to make a run of 20 or 30 to sell. We'll see...I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

By the by, if you don't mind sharing what would be your dream disposable (brand/year/style) made into a reusable cloth diaper?

I can't make any promises or estimate when I would be able to get to it...but I keep a running list for future projects :D.
Oh my gosh youā€™re welcome! I admire people who are industrious as yourself. I had kinda a dream of using some of my equipment for making some sort of abdl products, but mental health setbacks keep me kinda, well, set back. ā˜ŗļø
I have industrial sewing equipment just sitting in storage from when I did tailoring/repair work for a cleaners. Seeing what youā€™ve created really makes me want to try setting up for sewing again.

Unfortunately, I really donā€™t know diapers that well. So I really wouldnā€™t be able to tell you what would be my ideal diaper style to make into clothies (what I call cloth diapers.)
Something Iā€™ve wondered is: why donā€™t adult diaper companies make their diapers in the same way baby diaper companies do? It would appear to me to be WAY easier, since baby diapers are essentially still rectangles of material with wings and leak guards added. Iā€™ve ALWAYS thought that the major adult / abdl diaper companies put WAY too much into them. Iā€™ve always felt that the wings didnā€™t need to be so huge or the leg areas/gathers so deep! Perhaps scaled up baby diapers wouldnā€™t fit the same on a adult? Maybe more leaky? Easier to use existing tooling rather than scale-up baby diapers?
Probably itā€™s a combination of a lot of those.
Like I said, I really REALLY like how the ā€˜80ā€™s diaper you made into a clothie looks! Perhaps with a little experimentation, you could tweak the Velcros and their positioning into one single ā€œtape.ā€ The fit looks exactly what Iā€™d like in a diaper.

ā¤ļøšŸ§øšŸ¦–Little Red Hoodie šŸŒšŸ¶šŸø

Back