My Sewing Thread: AB Clothing and Diaper Projects (pic heavy)

TeddyUrsadorable said:
I'm looking at embroidery machines right now.. but damn, they're not cheap!
new these machines of mine were probably $1500-3500 each in todays monies
my mom has a Bernina that she paid $1500 for new in 85-86
today that model still sells for $800-1200

• Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Blacksmith said:
new these machines of mine were probably $1500-3500 each in todays monies

Yeah, this one was CAD$2800 (USD$2300) on sale.

Last edited:
  • Wow
KnappFlannel said:
Thanks babyann! I hope you have a great visit with your mommy 😊. I can't tell you how many nights I've been up squinting at my monitor drafting patterns or sewing until 3, 4, or 5 in the morning and then having to drag my ass into work that morning 🙃. I might be a little crazy in that regard, but I am over the moon I've finally started to find fellow abdl sewers out in the world. It strengthens my resolve to continue forward knowing there is an "us" of abdl sewers rather than just a "me."

It's a funny thing, I don't mind posting pics of my early attempts with knits, but something I haven't posted are pics of screws -- I repair and restore vintage sewing machines, and I can't tell you how many screws I've stripped out and have to search out replacements for because no matter how much I focus or how hard I try, I still cannot manage small screws very well with how things are even after 2.5 years of repairing machines. And I cannot sell machines with stripped out screws to the sorts of customers I have.

One thing I have picked up though is, if you have even a halfway decent sewing machine, once you 'learn' how your particular sewing machine acts, it will do most to all of the 'fine level' guiding and fabric movement for you, if you can figure out and provide the 'larger level' direction it needs.

I know how difficult it can be trying to figure out sewing things on your own. If you, or anyone else for that matter, might like to see some tutorials for a technique or have a technical/construction question, may be I could put together a short video or two ad hoc? Obviously I cannot assist anyone in person, but a video might be the next best alternative or at the very least make things a little less lonely.
View attachment 58178

I'll keep an eye out for questions, and again I hope you have great visit with your mommy.
Sorry, I will respond properly soon. My weekend got cut by 50% with my Mommy because the government here has brought in strict travel regulations, which basically meant I had to leave the safer Cape and head back to the really bad Gauteng province. So I am now home alone again, when I should be in Cape Town with my Mommy. Life stinks and this pandemic is so unfair!!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: KnappFlannel and BobbiSueEllen
babyann said:
Sorry, I will respond properly soon. My weekend got cut by 50% with my Mommy because the government here has brought in strict travel regulations, which basically meant I had to leave the safer Cape and head back to the really bad Gauteng province. So I am now home alone again, when I should be in Cape Town with my Mommy. Life stinks and this pandemic is so unfair!!
I just looked over South Africa on Worldometers' COVID page: you're in the middle of your third COVID wave. Your waves are quite sharply-peaked with low, calm valleys in-between. Hope y'all catch a break real soon!

Reactions: babyann
BobbiSueEllen said:
I just looked over South Africa on Worldometers' COVID page: you're in the middle of your third COVID wave. Your waves are quite sharply-peaked with low, calm valleys in-between. Hope y'all catch a break real soon!
Yes, the figures are not good, I know. But I had taken the chance and an offer of a lift to travel the 1500km from Jo’burg to Cape Town so I could spend a really special long weekend with Mommy there. But then on Sunday evening our President brought in new restrictions which included no travelling between provinces for anything other than work. So the couple who gave me a lift down, told me they would be heading straight back early Monday morning (rather than Wednesday morning). I am too scared to fly, because of Covid, so Mommy said I should catch the lift back with them. I think I started crying when President Ramaphosa first announced it…and I haven’t really stopped yet. So now back in the worst effected area, and it is going to be a long, long time before I get a chance to go down again or before we can get vaccinated here (at present only over 60’s can register). It is really horrid. But thank you for the wishes.

• Wow
babyann said:
I'm so sorry to hear that! That really stinks. I can appreciate how terrible extended 'alone times' can be especially when it seems there is no end in sight.

I know there's not anything I can do...but would it be a welcome diversion at all to have a new onesie or romper pattern to sew up?

KnappFlannel said:
Bubble Leg Shortalls pt 1

This is my test piece for a 'boy' bubble leg style shortall. It's a variation between what's affectionally known here in the south as JonJons and a more traditional bubble romper. The body and straps are made with lightweight denim. The bib lining, functional pocket, and inseam gusset are print flannel, and the heavy duty metal snaps are reinforced with twill.
View attachment 57954 View attachment 57955
View attachment 57956View attachment 57957
Those shortalls are LITERALLY AMAZING HOLY COW... I'm really fond of overall/shortall styles haha

You-you're not selling these, are you? 'Cause I think I'd totally buy some. Really awesome work!

• Love
Reactions: longallsboy, babyann, KnappFlannel and 1 other person
RainbowConnection said:
Those shortalls are LITERALLY AMAZING HOLY COW... I'm really fond of overall/shortall styles haha

You-you're not selling these, are you? 'Cause I think I'd totally buy some. Really awesome work!
Thank you so much 😁! Seeing your comment really brightened my day.

I have been thinking through some possibilities for selling these, but these are just a prototype for now -- I would need to work out sizing ranges, trims and finish, and a number of other details.

But if I do commit at some point to making a run of these, community folks here on adisc will be first in line 😀.

Reactions: longallsboy, WillFord384, babyann and 2 others
I look at this stuff and marvel at the skill. You guys are gifted at this.

I forget where I got it from, but full credits to whomever:
121983784_o_compress21.jpg

A nice little bit of diaper history.

• Love
Reactions: KnappFlannel, WillFord384 and BobbiSueEllen
here is a pictu
KnappFlannel said:
(1987-88) Pampers clone pocket diaper pt 1

This is my reproduction of the fit, style, and look of a mid-late 80's Pampers diaper as a reusable pocket diaper. The material is 'sandwich' PUL. Two layers of poly knit fabric are coated on one side each with a thin layer of polyurethane, and then the two urethane coated sides are pressed together and chemically bonded. The resulting fabric is dense, bulky, and loud ;) ...and very very waterproof.
View attachment 57961

The voluminous all-the-way around interior gusset was sewn to the body as 4 separate pieces and double-stitched into shape. The front gusset area secures right at the crotch line and the back gusset wraps over and around the rear forming a very nice seal all the way around.
View attachment 57962View attachment 57963And I completely forgot to take pictures of the absorbency used to stuff it...I used 2 xl prefolds from Changing Times and two bamboo french terry soakers -- really though, you don't even need specialized diaper fabrics at this 'pocket' volume. It will 100% hold a full size bath towel no problem :).

As this is a test piece I sewed the gusset elastics in two different ways, and I think the left side definitely looks better.

The pocket diaper attaches at the waist with velcro tabs and at the crotch leg intersection with unobtrusive velcro squares on each side.
View attachment 57964
There is so much I could write about the amount of research and design re-design that went into the pattern drafting and construction of this thing -- I'm happy to talk shop if you want more info about something.
here is a picture of a cloth diaper that I bought years ago that looks similar.

Attachments

• 109_9732.JPG
    109_9732.JPG
    521.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 109_9733.JPG
    109_9733.JPG
    525.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Love
Reactions: babyann, KnappFlannel, WillFord384 and 1 other person
If you are skilled with a sew machine, you can adapt adult clothing to look like children’s clothing.

Reactions: KnappFlannel
KnappFlannel said:
Bubble Leg Shortalls pt 1

This is my test piece for a 'boy' bubble leg style shortall. It's a variation between what's affectionally known here in the south as JonJons and a more traditional bubble romper. The body and straps are made with lightweight denim. The bib lining, functional pocket, and inseam gusset are print flannel, and the heavy duty metal snaps are reinforced with twill.
View attachment 57954 View attachment 57955
View attachment 57956View attachment 57957
These are super cute!! Good work!

• Love
Reactions: Andrewgdfw, KnappFlannel and BobbiSueEllen
I sewed this diaper cover (and the inserts inside). I don't wee in cloth diapers, but I find them really comforting to sleep in. I like them to be snug around all my parts and my waist, and not binding at all. So this one is made with a non-stretchy cloth, lined with flannel, and has no elastic in the legs. It's so thick because it has two thick liners in it.

I found a great dinosaur flannel sheet at a thrift store! I used it to line this cover and to sew a formed liner (hour-glass shaped). I used layers of bath towels in some liners and fleece in some. I just experimented until I found the thickness between the legs balanced with the softness I crave.

I can use my handmade liners in my store-bought pocket cover, too. So if I ever did want to wee in cloth, I could.

20210717_094308 resized.jpg

Reactions: KnappFlannel, WillFord384, Beachbum and 1 other person
Apologies for the delay in posting, I've had a lot of -life- happen and some medical issues had come up that needed to be addressed.

But I should be good now, and I also got rid of my storage unit so my living room legit looks like the inside of a fabric store ...as it should...

my plan is to go all-in for a time with drafting/making the little clothing, cloth diapers, and replica reusable diapers.

I have a number of projects or potential projects in mind.

Want to have some say, what would you like to see here posted next 🙂?

* pattern for 80's Pampers clone reusable
* classic style bubble romper
* summer style bubble romper with detachable bib
* diy drafting guide for true front-facing leg reusable diaper cover (pull-on or snaps)
* low-leg, high hip classic shape diaper cover / training pants
* retro style baby pajamas -- gusseted leg, footed, high rise, cut super wide, back snapping top, and top and pant snap together at the waist
* envelope neck style bodysuit (snaps at crotch inseam or side-snapping)
* winged butterfly style prefold diaper
* reusable Goodnites style nighttime training pants
* vintage Staydry Panties clone
* 'modern reusable brand' training pants to adult sizing

• Love
Reactions: longallsboy, Teddy, WillFord384 and 1 other person
Wow, you caught me in mid-project here! You mention the '80s Pampers clone, reusable...which is what I just started working on. Currently cutting out the cotton batting for cutting into the hourglass shape, along with the super-soft cotton batting between the heavy batting and the polar fleece lining. Got everything here to make 'em, including PUL in both baby-soft pink & white. Gonna use the pattern you put up, it has the babyish extra-wide crotch and extra elastic, which I've badly wanted. This is how I'm gonna beat the Chinese government in their diaper-shortage debacle: make my own diapers! 🧸🍼🥰🥳

• Love
Reactions: WillFord384 and KnappFlannel
KnappFlannel said:
I'm so sorry to hear that! That really stinks. I can appreciate how terrible extended 'alone times' can be especially when it seems there is no end in sight.

I know there's not anything I can do...but would it be a welcome diversion at all to have a new onesie or romper pattern to sew up?
Yes, yes yes! I am back where I need to be, with my Mommy now. But…my sewing machine is back in my flat in Jo’burg. Hopefully this will be a permanent move, if I can find a job, but I will only move my stuff down here once I can get that security. One thing for certain though, is that I cannot live apart from my Mommy. That is absolutely clear now. I feel I can dare to breathe again here. I might do some knitting again though while I am here, until I get my machine sorted out. I knitted fingerless gloves for Mommy 2 years ago and I noticed that She has almost worn them out, so I will make her some more.

Reactions: KnappFlannel, ade and BobbiSueEllen
KnappFlannel said:
summer style bubble romper with detachable bib
I made-ish one of those, some years ago: just a quicky project of making a bib and straps to button onto some training pants (plastic outer, terry inner) which I wasn't otherwise happy with.
You can find the odd photographic record of such things from olden days, of just plastic pants, though.

Back