How frequent should you change your diaper?

chuck said:
I am usually wet when I get up in the morning. I change and shower then. Then I need to change around noon and again around 5 pm and just before I go to bed.
Sounds about right to me.

For me if I’m wet I can stay in it for long periods but as soon as I feel like I’m gonna leak then I’ll change. I also will often wear wet overnight. A dirty one, I change within 10 minutes.

Reactions: 20twenny and lilran
I don't think there is a set time frame since everyone functions different. I normally will change if I feel soggy. That being said if I am wet I won't stay in it more than 6 hours unless its overnight and even that is stretching it. I am very conscious of smelling like pee or being offensive even though I shower regularly and keep good hygiene and normally wear nighttime or when a bathroom is not available I prefer to be clean about it.

Reactions: 20twenny and (deleted member)
Soon as possible after its been used.

When it full

Reactions: Deleted member 57387 and chamberpot
for me, I get my diaper changed every 3-4 hours unless I am very wet or messy or if it is on the verge of leaking.

Reactions: Deleted member 57387
I entered adulthood, still wearing diapers... and what I learned is for most diapers it is good practice to change every three to four hours. If you are wearing a high capacity diaper you can go longer: 8 or 10 hours.

One exception is while sleeping, where you should be wearing a diaper that absorbs your overnight voids. That's what I do, I have N.E..

I use those guidelines and they seem to be true because skin breakdown when in contact with urine becomes evident if your diaper is not keeping you dry. You can tell because you will see skin coming off when you wash your genital area if you have been sitting in urine.

Always change immediately after you finish pooping or you risk bacterial infections which can range from an itchy anus to UTI.

Last edited:
Non-incontinent diaper lover here, meaning I would change only 2 or 3 times a day

wake up, mid morning, lunch, mid afternoon, dinner, before bed

TD712 said:
Non-incontinent diaper lover here, meaning I would change only 2 or 3 times a day

same. maybe 4 a day on the weekend day though.

I only wear cloth prefolds and rubber pants. I usually add one or two cloth inserts as well. I get my diapers changed typically three times a day, when we get up in the morning, again in the late afternoon, and lastly when we are getting ready for bed. I wet off and on during the day whenever I feel a little urge and I seldom have problems with leaks. I do like to feel the sensation of peeing often during the day.

I change my diaper as soon as I use it. When I’ve used it even a bit it always leaks in my bed.

MK6 said:
I change my diaper as soon as I use it. When I’ve used it even a bit it always leaks in my bed.
Get a better diaper, shouldn't leak after one use.

I was peeing a bit in bed this morning and it was ok But I had to go a ton. So I went in the bathroom and completely flooded it and then I changed out of it. I managed to grab a plastic bag and throw it in the garbage can without waking anyone up. This was at 3AM

Last edited:
CookieMonstah said:
Get a better diaper, shouldn't leak after one use.
It was my first one and first time putting a diaper on and I got the wrong size and I think I may have put it on backwards too.

MK6 said:
It was my first one and first time putting a diaper on and I got the wrong size and I think I may have put it on backwards too.
Tabs start at the back and you attach them to the front.

ben10hnt said:
I usually stay in my night diaper through the day when I'm not going out. As it is usually already soaked at night, I'm not sure if this is a good practice with a threat of rashes. But then I feel like my diaper is barely used and usually it won't leak until the end of the day.

But then how often should I change?

My partner is an RN, and when he and I were discussion my wearing, he told me that standard protocol is to change a patient when you see they've soiled their briefs in any way (wet or mess). Personally I enjoy sitting in a wet diaper. For me, I can go 8-12 hours in a wet diaper so long as it isn't leaking. I'll change it if it's leaking.

He said that he'd prefer I change out of a messy diaper within 15-30 min of messing just in case (and so far I've only messed twice, and once since he and I had the talk. He wasn't home for it so I changed myself out after 10ish minutes)

But yeah, in a clinical setting, they change them immediately upon noticing any wet or mess.

Cupcake said:
Personally I enjoy sitting in a wet diaper.
Yeah, I think that goes for most of us! :)

I sort of randomly bounce between cloth and disposable diapers, and my changing routine is along for the ride. Cloth diapers don't hold as much, so I might give myself a few hours (or a few pees) between changes. More than that, and I'm liable to end up with wet pants. No thanks! (I enjoy diaper changes too, so diaper capacity isn't especially important to me.) If I'm in a high-capacity disposable, however, I might go half the day or longer before changing--assuming I don't poop, which is usually a fair assumption. (I'm not big on getting messy, though the urge does sometimes hit.)

Cupcake said:
But yeah, in a clinical setting, they change them immediately upon noticing any wet or mess.
I'd suppose that has a lot to do with the interval at which they check on the patients, too. That probably varies from place to place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howl and Cupcake
Back