How frequent should you change your diaper?

ben10hnt

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I usually stay in my night diaper through the day when I'm not going out. As it is usually already soaked at night, I'm not sure if this is a good practice with a threat of rashes. But then I feel like my diaper is barely used and usually it won't leak until the end of the day.

But then how often should I change?

It depends a lot on a diaper, the amount of liquid you drink and other factors. I usually change roughly every 4-5 hours during the day, always right before going to bed, even if I'm barely wet, and always immediately after I wake up in the morning. I find this system to be the best, for me, personally, at least.

When I am at home I only change when my nappy is completely soaking wet. I have to admit I am lazy when it comes to changing.

ben10hnt said:
I usually stay in my night diaper through the day when I'm not going out. As it is usually already soaked at night, I'm not sure if this is a good practice with a threat of rashes. But then I feel like my diaper is barely used and usually it won't leak until the end of the day.

But then how often should I change?

The best is to change it all ~ 4H preferably before 6H maximum 8H, the morning when waking, the evening at bedtime, for a disposable diaper only use to urinate, for diapers disposable use for the fecal, it is best to change them as soon as possible, on average 2H at maximum 4H, for the night the whole night, fecal matter not good for the skin. In all cases it is always better to have the most absorbent model, but in any case it is not because the disposable diaper seems half dry that it should not be changed, the quantity of Absorbent does not change the number of times it needs to be changed

So for my personal use it's change every 4H ~ and change to wake up and sleep

Reactions: TheWolfEmperor
Like others have said, it will depend on the type of nappy you have, and what you’ve been drinking (and eating). But I guess most people judge it based on past experience. With practice, one learns how far to push things before leaks happen, and also how prone one can be to rashes or other skin irritations.

Use of products like cream or powder can help, but from my experience, avoiding a rash is more dependant on how long you hang around in a soaked nappy for. Being very active or allowing things to get ‘rubbed’ down there can also worsen the situation.

With messing (particular when also wet), you really ought to try and change ASAP. I usually aim for within 20 minutes max.

There are lots of variables to consider; from the type of diaper, to your fluid intake, whether you use powder or diaper cream and even how sensitive your skin is.

I tend to wear for a fair amount of time, I drink lots of mild liquids like water and milk, my skin is pretty resilient, I use diaper cream and I wear the good stuff, ABU brands, Tykables and the occasional Bambino mostly. So I find myself changing after anywhere between 5-8 hours of wear. Of course, if I mess or if my skin starts feeling agitated, I'll change right away. I do find that my diaper tends to last longer in the evening than throughout the day, this might be because I slow down my fluid intake in the evenings, so I seldom go to bed wet.

In the end, how frequently you change depends on a lot of factors and ultimately, it's completely up to you.

I'm sure you'll find a routine that works for you :)

Do you start the clock on first pee or when you put diaper on. So the number of pees is not a set guide. Its just a safe guide to prevent a leak on the floor from occurring. So the real guide is 4 to 8 which is pushing it. When pee only.

Elenwen said:
It depends a lot on a diaper, the amount of liquid you drink and other factors. I usually change roughly every 4-5 hours during the day, always right before going to bed, even if I'm barely wet, and always immediately after I wake up in the morning. I find this system to be the best, for me, personally, at least.

Agree with all this completely. It really depends how wet you are, how comfortable you are, and how your skin reacts.

Personally, I always go to bed dry and change into a new diaper as soon as I've gotten out of bed and had my shower. I change 4-5 times a day, on average.

I used to change much less when I first started wearing, but now that I'm 24/7 and need to take care of my skin and the practicalities that come with being diapered full-time, I change regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With one of the best disposable diapers out there you could change 3 or 4 times for the complete 24 hours, but that is an absolute extreme and only accounts for wet diapers and if you are using lower quality less absorbent diapers you may need to change as often as once every 3 or 4 hours; I usually get 3 or 4 hours of moderate to heavy wetting with a quality ABDL Diaper boosted with "Sleep Pants" (I usually use the Dollar General Generic Goodnites, which I cleverly cut into the little arrows and that is what allows pee to go through it so the diaper itself gets hit too)

Like most have said it depends on a wide variety of conditions, but better to change more frequently just to be on the safe side.

I feel like there should be lots of practice if you are choosing to wear frequently or all the time, and obviously you will get lots of practice if you have to wear.

I rarely even go from one diaper to the next and have never been out long enough to need to change on the go, but I mostly wear on weekends.

I am usually wet when I get up in the morning. I change and shower then. Then I need to change around noon and again around 5 pm and just before I go to bed.

Reactions: Wetshisbed
Ideally, you change it before any harm is caused. That varies by your protection, your skin, and what you put in the diaper. I tend to go a fair amount of time between changes, at least on a high capacity diaper. Thinner diapers might need to be changed immediately after use.

Adding to the depends-on-the-diaper argument, when I used to wet the bed before enjoying diapers alternatively my mom was getting me these Depends briefs and they always felt horrible in the morning. They would feel extremely scratchy after being used for some reason, and it didn't help they were almost paper underwear they were so thin and poor-performing. Terrible leg guards too IMO.

All of the Tenas I've bought locally have felt so much better for as much as 7 hours, though. Even at times where there was no more SAP to hold pee they still felt better than the Depends did...I've never gone back.

I think 3 or 4 hours is probably a good change time for a decent ABDL quality diaper (some of the better medical style brands are about there as well), but regardless I would get to know the limits of whatever your diaper(s) of choice is/are if you are gonna (or have to) commit to wearing for longer periods of time.

I have tried a wide variety of diapers around 4 or 5+ years ago, and back in those days the 1 Tena variety I have tried absorbed decent, but I didn't like how thin the plastic was on it, but the thing I find most interesting/concerning is that a lot of the Medical Style diapers seem intended on the path of getting continually cheap/lower quality/less absorbent over time, which is part of why I basically always buy ABDL Diapers these days; mostlyABUniverse.

I usually change my night diaper as soon as I get up. Sometimes it is only wet, sometimes wet and messy. About 2 days a week, I have a dry and clean diaper and can make it to the bathroom before I have an accident. During the day, I don't wear a diaper unless I leave home. When I am out, i always wear a diaper. If I have an accident, I might not be able to change it for 2 to 3 hours. I try to change as soon as possible, but sometimes it can be a while.

I won't pretend this is exhaustive, or that I remembered everything, but this is an attempt at a condensed rules of thumb.

Reasons to change your diaper, wet only:
1. It's at capacity, any more and good chance you'll leak.
2. Diaper smells, even if you wet once but after some amount of time you can smell ammonia building up / potential to cause rash.
3. Diaper falling apart, padding clumping, uncomfortable because got tight and rubbing where it didn't when you are comfortable in it.
4. Wet or not absorbent enough, and your about to go partake in an activity where changing would be an inconvenience - like running errands for 4 hours as an example. A fresh diaper appropriate to the time you'd like to not have to change is worth donning.
5. Bedtime, especially when you know you'll be wanting to use it and don't want to be bothered with diaper change.
Messy:
1. Around others / in public where smell would offend others - change ASAP.
2. When you don't have diaper cream where the mess is, make sure you change regardless of how wet before your skin gets a rash. (Personally, depending on the mess consistency and acidity, I can go many hours without issue in messy diaper and it doesn't hurt that I enjoy it!)
3. Mess is going to leak.

For both, change if it's uncomfortable.

Last edited:
(Bump!) Did I miss something? Anything you want to add?

lacutah said:
(Bump!) Did I miss something? Anything you want to add?

?

ST50 said:
When I am at home I only change when my nappy is completely soaking wet. I have to admit I am lazy when it comes to changing.

I can relate to that. I'm also lazy when it comes to changing my diaper when at home. Which is why I prefer wearing Only diapers with the highest absorbency, or a thick prefixed cloth diaper. When out, things are the opposite, in this situation, I wear a diaper which will get me through, no more.

I've got pretty resistant skin, when it comes to rashes, so I don't bother changing until my diaper is on the verge of leaking. But that's not the right thing to do.

Back