How do you throw your diapers out?

Mehrabad98 said:
That sounds a bit steep. In my area we only pay 16 USD a month for a 20 gallon trash can, once weekly pickup, recycling and organics are "free"
Yea you are paying only about 1/3 of what we pay
Organics & recycling & Garbage + drops offs at the eco centre
for like batteries, paint, electronics etc are included on our steep fees
Our Garbage bins are 64 gallons
and the compost bin is 32 gallons

we can also request a larger 95 gallon garbage bin for an extra $10 per month

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Thinking
Reactions: Woncrinklz and BobbiSueEllen
SparkyDog said:

I believe around here (rural Newfoundland) it's $185 per year, but in my town it's included in the poll tax. The town pays it for us. We're allowed 1 bin for residential, and it can be 240L (63 Gallon) or 360L (95 Gallon). We have to buy our own bins though. The large one costs $129. I bought one 10 years ago when I moved in and it's still in good shape, so they're pretty tough. We're not required to separate garbage, use special bags, or recycle in my area. As long as it's in a bag and in the bin it's OK (minus hazardous items).

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
LilPaddedBunny said:
I believe around here (rural Newfoundland) it's $185 per year, but in my town it's included in the poll tax. The town pays it for us. We're allowed 1 bin for residential, and it can be 240L (63 Gallon) or 360L (95 Gallon). We have to buy our own bins though. The large one costs $129. I bought one 10 years ago when I moved in and it's still in good shape, so they're pretty tough. We're not required to separate garbage, use special bags, or recycle in my area. As long as it's in a bag and in the bin it's OK (minus hazardous items).
yea. and our bins were "included"
but still obscene fees to pay
If it was weekly pickup I wouldn't gripe as much but every 14 days for that price is ridiculous

Roll up and tie a bow with the tapes tightly, bag them in large scented adult diaper bags and throw in the bedroom bin until its full and bring it out to the complex garbage shed.

SparkyDog said:

Interesting, the 64 gallon bin is standard for you. Here, the 64 is the second largest size, and it comes at a hefty premium. My family is lucky that we are able to get the smallest bin because we're only 3 people. I only wear part-time so in the summers when I'm at home I dispose of my diapers at the parking garage at work.

Mehrabad98 said:
Interesting, the 64 gallon bin is standard for you. Here, the 64 is the second largest size, and it comes at a hefty premium. My family is lucky that we are able to get the smallest bin because we're only 3 people. I only wear part-time so in the summers when I'm at home I dispose of my diapers at the parking garage at work.
Yea our standard is 3x bigger than yours but then you get weekly pickup
as I am IC 90% of my garbage bin every 2 weeks is diapers. Sometimes I can't fit everything in
so then I have options
ask neighbor if they have space
ask a family member few blocks away if they have room
take up to 2 bags to the eco center
but if i do that i try and make it non diaper garbage as garbage needs to be in clear bags to drop off with no additional charge

SparkyDog said:
I looked into it but the refills was more than the cost of my garbage bags
This lasted me 8 months. 20 bucks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240130_093531_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240130_093531_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 3
JR1 said:
This lasted me 8 months. 20 bucks

That's awesome, unfortunately for me it would cost me $35 every 2 months
and more when not on sale
Screenshot_20240130_083855_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: JR1 and BobbiSueEllen
For GoodNites/ pull-ups: roll it up and tie the sides together

For Diapers: Roll it up and close it with tapes.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and SparkyDog
I fold mine in half, then fold them again in the front, then roll them into a neat roll and use the tapes to secure it, then toss them in the garbage with the other garbage. Easy peasy.

Reactions: Woncrinklz, BobbiSueEllen and SparkyDog
Eclectic said:
I fold mine in half, then fold them again in the front, then roll them into a neat roll and use the tapes to secure it, then toss them in the garbage with the other garbage. Easy peasy.
I do the same with mine then into a BOS bag then into kitchen trash bag when it’s full it goes out to outside can

I put all my Goodnites into the Diaper Genie bags and then put the full bags into a large, black Glad trash bag along with other trash that’s in my basement trash can.

Reactions: Woncrinklz, BobbiSueEllen and SparkyDog
It depends... I mostly roll it up front to back in a tight ball with the end wings in a knot, and fill proper bags for discreet disposal. Usually 2 or three per store shopping bag/plastic. Preferably the thick white bags to not show my "OUTSTANDING happy, colorful diaper balls " as the telltale.;)😁
My right arm is still hurting, though. I can only wield three per bag now into the bin.

Woncrinklz said:
My right arm is still hurting, though. I can only wield three per bag now into the bin.
Oh no doubt. It’s a workout to haul my trash to the bin. Be careful of serious injuries due to the heavy bag of wet, and in my case, messy diapers.

The embarrassing part is when you use cheap bags and they fall apart on the way to throw them out. And this happens just as the neighbors are walking past 😅
Whoopsies.

Last edited:
used dirty diapers are normally rolled up tight and placed in the diaper pail which is emptied twice a week into the outdoor trash cans, however messy diapers are wrapped and placed in the outside trash can right away. when out and about used diapers are placed in a disposable plastic bag than placed in a trash bin.

I hope everybody who makes messy diapers dumps their messy stuff into a toilet & flushes before throwing their diapers away! 🫢

Reactions: Woncrinklz and SparkyDog
Eclectic said:
Oh no doubt. It’s a workout to haul my trash to the bin. Be careful of serious injuries due to the heavy bag of wet, and in my case, messy diapers.

The embarrassing part is when you use cheap bags and they fall apart on the way to throw them out. And this happens just as the neighbors are walking past 😅
Whoopsies.
I've played that scenario out in my mind more times than you could imagine, laughing here in agreement.

I got a collapsable wagon from Amazon to ensure that the nightmare doesn't happen. Plus, I, like any respectable contraband-oriented drug lord do; I do my disposing of evidence in the weeee hours of night. The wagon wheels are silent, too.🤫🤭

Reactions: Eclectic and BobbiSueEllen
When disposing of my depend pull-ups, I simply slide them off and toss them in the trash loosely without wrapping them or anything like that.

When it comes to tape-on diapers however, I fold them up (rather than rolling) in a similar fashion to what's demonstrated in this video:

• Thinking
In my current setup, I scrap out the mess into the toilet, which reduces smell and fwiw hopefully reduces the harm from a waste perspective (DAE do that?). Then, roll and bag in a small bag, that goes into a large cooler to contain smell, since I don't want to have a diaper pail at home.

At some point all the bags go into a bigger bag and in the bin for municipal collection.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Woncrinklz
In my younger days I used to find an unlocked dumpster behind a Chinese restaurant and throw my bags in there. Seemed to work as they usually don't lock them.

• Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Woncrinklz
Back