Cold weather making incontinence worse

My experience is similar to others above. My bed wetting is increased in cold weather (I like to sleep in a cold room). I have some occasional leakage during the day, but I have noticed during this early cold snap that my urges and frequency of leaks and dribbles is increasing. It doesn't help that I work in a place that requires me entering a walk-in cooler and a walk-in freezer several times during my work shift. I have begun wearing protection every day because I know it will be needed.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, virginiadiaper and Angelapinks
CaregiverCody said:
Cold weather definitely increases incontinence symptoms. Add coffee to that and you’d better have a good nappy on, no pull-ups.
During the winter, I wear a lot more diapers and only a few pull-ups. I seem to be able to manage with pull-ups a lot of the time during the summer which is helpful. I practically give up during the winter and just use diapers to pee most of the time. The feeling of the need to pee every 30-60 minutes is just too much for a pull-up and I hate going to the restroom that much.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, AttilaThePun, cantwait and 4 others
Yes I notice that I have much increased incontinence in the late Fall and Winter. I often have a diaper change with me in my bag as I can't always last a day in my usual diaper. It was a warm start to November up here in Canada but now it is very cold again and I need at least a thick pull-up (Forsite is my fav) or an Abena M4.
Still I kind of love the extra warmth of a diaper in the cold months :)

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, AttilaThePun, ILuvDiapers and 2 others
virginiadiaper said:
Who else seems to feel that the incontinence is worse during this cold weather? I could at least go every 1-1.5 hours in the summer and now I’m back to leaking or having urge incontinence every 30 minutes. I was able to use pull-ups some during the summer, but I think it’ll have to be diapers this whole winter. Does this happen to anyone else?
Yes, cold weather definitely increases my need to pee more frequently.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Angelapinks and (deleted member)
Definitely worse in the cold weather and I not only find I need to go more but the need gets urgent very quickly.
A few days ago I had to deliver leaflets locally and made sure to pee before leaving the house.
It was cold and frosty and within 20 minutes I felt I needed to go. I kept going but a few minutes later it was nearly coming out and I turned and headed quickly for home!
By the time I reached my house I was doing dribbles and had to hold myself to stop a flood in my underpants

• Thinking
Reactions: AttilaThePun, bbrz, Angelapinks and 2 others
Naughtykeef said:
Definitely worse in the cold weather and I not only find I need to go more but the need gets urgent very quickly.
A few days ago I had to deliver leaflets locally and made sure to pee before leaving the house.
It was cold and frosty and within 20 minutes I felt I needed to go. I kept going but a few minutes later it was nearly coming out and I turned and headed quickly for home!
By the time I reached my house I was doing dribbles and had to hold myself to stop a flood in my underpants
You have probably encountered a cold-induced diuresis which also happens to me frequently when I go for a trip in the town.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Angelapinks and ILuvDiapers
ILuvDiapers said:
Yes, cold weather definitely increases my need to pee more frequently.
You're not alone.

Babykisakitten said:
I did some research on medical forums in the hot months we sweat more that's less fluid our kidneys have to filter out, when it's cold outside we sweat less that's more fluid our kidneys have to filter out that makes a lot of sense we Pee more.

There are some excellent articles about the cold-induced diuresis, you'll certainly find ways about how to deal with it.

surprise35 said:
Still I kind of love the extra warmth of a diaper in the cold months :)
Having a protection during a trip in the city significantly reduces the need to go in the WC once cold-induced diuresis occurs unexpectedly.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, surprise35 and Angelapinks
BabyTweetyBird said:
Having a protection during a trip in the city significantly reduces the need to go in the WC once cold-induced diuresis occurs unexpectedly.
Big Time! ABDL Diaper all the way. :giggle: (y)🤪😜

• Haha
Reactions: AttilaThePun and (deleted member)
Muhdeee said:
I wet the bed more in the winter simply because I'm less inclined to get out of bed when its cold out
So you wet the bed intentionally sometimes?

• Thinking
Reactions: AttilaThePun, chamberpot and PaddedRita
Cold weather can make incontinence worse and try being out in below zero weather with a wet diaper ohh I shiver every time I just think about it

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Angelapinks and (deleted member)
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, AttilaThePun, chamberpot and 4 others
Muhdeee said:
I do too sometimes lol. I dont usually wake up because I need to go though. Usually I'll either pee while asleep and have no recollection of it, or I'll wake up to my alarm clock in the morning REALLY needing to pee. Sometimes though if its cold in the middle of the night, I'll wake up needing to go, and just let it out. Shh...

• Wow
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, AttilaThePun and Angelapinks
Stacy said:
I do too sometimes lol. I dont usually wake up because I need to go though. Usually I'll either pee while asleep and have no recollection of it, or I'll wake up to my alarm clock in the morning REALLY needing to pee. Sometimes though if its cold in the middle of the night, I'll wake up needing to go, and just let it out. Shh...
I think there are much more of us doing this! At the beginning of my urge IC in the nights I woke up up to 6, 7 times in the night with the urge, got up and tried to reach (often unsuccessful) the toilet and then, back to bed, struggled with getting back to sleep - so I decided, as anyway a lot of my pee went into the protection, not to get up any more and simply use my diaper - which enhanced my quality of sleep dramatically. Doing this since nearly a year I maximum wake up very slightly with an urge, let it happen and am back to sleep within seconds

• Thinking
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, AttilaThePun, Pino and 2 others
hbic60 said:
I think there are much more of us doing this! At the beginning of my urge IC in the nights I woke up up to 6, 7 times in the night with the urge, got up and tried to reach (often unsuccessful) the toilet and then, back to bed, struggled with getting back to sleep - so I decided, as anyway a lot of my pee went into the protection, not to get up any more and simply use my diaper - which enhanced my quality of sleep dramatically. Doing this since nearly a year I maximum wake up very slightly with an urge, let it happen and am back to sleep within seconds
I used to do this but sometimes got dizzy from either my meds or blood pressure issues. That is when I started to wear Tranquility ATN at night. I could relax and get a good nights sleep. Since then I fall into a deep sleep and don't even know I am peeing until I wake up in a soaked diaper. Result, dry bed and great nights sleep even though my urologist tried to discourage me from wearing.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and AttilaThePun
I certainly have experienced strong urges when cold. It doesn’t usually hit me right away. It seems to be after being exposed to colder temperatures for an undetermined amount of time.

I prefer to sleep in a cold room, wrapped up in warm blankets. I too have been guilty of choosing to not get out of bed at night if I happen to wake up with an urge to go. I find it difficult to fall back asleep after getting up. To get a good night’s rest. I will just rely on the diaper that would have likely been used anyway had I not woken up.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, AttilaThePun, Wetshisbed and 1 other person
I think it's a yes for me. This winter was the first time I experienced a bout of "heavy urge" that I wasn't able to control. Normally, my IC is dribbles with the occasional mid sized leak, but this was a full loss. I was working from home, and I had my dog out for a noon hour walk. It was quite chilly and I almost certainly was a bit under-dressed. In any case, on the walk back, I felt an urge building - same as always - but it soon felt different and I knew there was a 0% chance I would be able to hold it. Because I was working from home, I was wearing a diaper rather than a pull-up that I typically use at the office. No surprise, it handled everything with no issues, but all to say it was the first time I had experienced that, and perhaps the cold was a trigger?? I really don't know.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, AttilaThePun and Angelapinks
I too find my incontinence is heavier in cold weather.

Reactions: Lethdale, AttilaThePun and Angelapinks
I have urge, incontinence and cold weather definitely contributes to these episodes. I find the worst times are when I get out of the car and have to pump gas or put change in a parking meter. The other day I was filling the parking meter when I was hit with a cold breeze and Piss just started shooting out.

• Wow
Reactions: HalMidLife, PadPhilosopher, AttilaThePun and 2 others
Back