Cloth Diapers and Fastening Methods

dogboy said:
I wear cloth pre-folds. I use baby diaper pins and just pin my diaper corner to corner. I tried the snappies but had trouble with them staying put.
It says in a Snappi ad that they don’t work well on tightly woven fabrics, but it also says that they don’t work well on gauze which is what I use them with nearly all the time. They don’t work that well on terry cloth when I’ve tried them on my bath towel soakers and I could see them not working well on flannel. The few prefolds that I have are in gauze and Birdseye and the Snappis work fine on either.

Reactions: chuck and dogboy
I use 3" stainless steel diaper pins - one per side on my pre-folds. I like this because it looks closer in scale to a baby with diaper pins. Authenticity and the overall look is important for me. I do have a flannel contour diaper from Kins that I secure with regular baby pins - 2 per side, because it's very difficult to push the larger pins through the flannel fabric

nightfox320 said:
I wanted to see / share how others fasten their cloth diapers to themselves.

Since the start of the supply chain issues I obtained a substantial supply of cloth diapers for my overnight needs. When I first started I was using pre-folds with standard diaper pins. However, as I used them more and more I found that I preferred snap on contoured diapers and snappi’s much more than traditional pins. The snap on contour diapers are self explanatory. But the use of snappi’s is a little different. Instead of using on I use two to achieve a snug fit / simulate a 2 tape diaper. I will post pictures later, but basically I use the shortest portion of the snappi to attach to the wing of the diaper then pull the longer portions across the front of the diaper, one straight across on the top like you would with a tape on disposable and the second one angled downward on the crotch to pull it snug against my body.

I have found that this method of fastening not only helps the diaper stay on my body shape better, but helps me stay pointed down during the night and prevent leaks out the top of my plastic pants.

Any ways, would love to hear everyone else experiences / method of fastening for comparison and ideas of things to try!
where did u get those, I have some I bought but they must be baby ones because they are so short

Reactions: nightfox320
Belarin said:
Snappis are great

Snappis are a great invention they have 2 sizes one meant for newborns one larger meant for toddlers, you'll want to get the larger ones.

There is also a product called Bingo baby that only has two connection points instead of 3 and is rather a bit smaller, never tried these myself but they might work. You'd need to use them in pairs.

it is important to know though that these things don't work quite as well with certain material types. I've never had a problem so far though.
I use the bingo fasteners, two per side, they work good. I can get the same fit as with my disposables. Snappies feel to weak, and I can never get pins tight enough.

ARBBB2 said:
where did u get those, I have some I bought but they must be baby ones because they are so short
I use the toddler size snappi’s and buy them in a pack of 5. You can find them on Amazon for a decent price.

Zeke said:
It says in a Snappi ad that they don’t work well on tightly woven fabrics, but it also says that they don’t work well on gauze which is what I use them with nearly all the time. They don’t work that well on terry cloth when I’ve tried them on my bath towel soakers and I could see them not working well on flannel. The few prefolds that I have are in gauze and Birdseye and the Snappis work fine on either.
Yeah, I wear gauze cloth diapers so that's probably why I had some problems.

I use regular 2" plastic-head diaper pins on my cloth diapers. I have tried Di-Dee Klips but have not had much luck with them, they lose grip on the fabric. My training pants are snap-on mostly so I don't need pins with them. When I was in elementary school the snap came apart on a pair I was wearing one time and my mom sent me to school with them held together with a diaper pin. Fortunately, nobody saw it.

Reactions: Cottontail
So sort of unrelated question. Those of you that have the overnight leak masters, how do they hold up? Mine are pretty good and most nights I’m okay. But, I have noticed on some mornings after I wake up and move around I end up with a little wetness puddling in the crotch of my plastic pants. Should I be adding maybe an additional soaker? It makes it really inconvenient to change in the morning as I have to deal with the pooled wetness.

Back