Which would be more embarrassing as an older child? Wearing Diapers or Getting Your Diapers Changed or Both.

Which would be more embarrassing as an older child? Wearing Diapers or Getting Your Diapers Changed

• Wearing Diapers

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Getting Your Diapers Changed.

Votes: 168 68.6%
  • Both

Votes: 74 30.2%

• Total voters
I think getting changed is more embarassing

Reactions: AJFan2020 and 12srepaid
Palle said:
That's really not how I remember it.
During the day I sometimes sat on a fresh diaper that my mother had spread out on one of her knees, while she was sitting on the toilet lid or whatever. Me facing the same direction as she did.
This was very efficient and less embarrassing than standing up. At least as I remember it.
Even less embarrassing was being diapered in bed for bedtime. But since I was a bedwetter that tas routine, daytime not so much, I had a small bladder so I sometimes needed protection until I was 10 or 11...

But absolutely, changing was much more embarrassing since it was a proof you you not only wearing a diaper, as in my case "just in case", you did so because you did need it. I felt so ashamed when I wet myself, and even more when I was changed...
While I was no longer in diapers during the day by Elementary School (aside from the occasional sick day here and there) I still had quite a few accidents (of both kinds). Therefore even if I wasn’t actually wearing a diaper I still needed to be changed.

Afterward (around age nine) I always found that if my mother changed me standing up and allowed me to help with the clean-up process that it was almost always less embarrassing than when she would put something plastic (such as some garbage bags) on the couch (or a bed) and some bath towels and change me there after having me lie down.

For me most of the embarrassment during the lying-down changes as I got older was from the fact that she would call me “Tommy” instead of Thomas and then talk to me in baby talk. She would tell me during this that I need to remember to use the bathroom next time before I have an accident. She would usually use the word “potty” instead of toilet during a lying down change even when I was at least nine years old. She would also use babyish words to describe what I just did.

When I was younger (e.g. up to preschool age or even the early grade school years) my mother could change me in any position at home or anywhere else and it would never bother me when I was younger because I only started to experience embarrassment around age nine or so, but when I finally started experiencing embarrassment it was stronger than normal.

On the other hand if I was changed standing up and allowed to participate in the cleanup process I was less embarrassed but more afraid of any punishment that I might receive. During this process I was more likely to be called “Thomas” than Tommy but also more likely to be accused of being stubborn or doing it on purpose. Any punishment that I did receive at this point was fairly mild (consisting of a lecture, followed by a brief time out). Nine to ten minutes of time out wasn’t all that bad in the scheme of things. But if her anger was noticeable enough (e.g. if she said to me that she should probably spank me this time) I would be nervous about the possibility of a spanking.

I was afraid of this for some reason even though all of my spankings were from people on my father’s side of the family. My mother does admit that when my sister was younger that she would sometimes spank her from time to time (so apparently my concern about this wasn’t entirely unwarranted). From what she tells me she would typically do this if my sister did something dangerous (when she was still pretty young (e.g. about age six or seven at the oldest)) like trying to run into traffic (usually while laughing/giggling) and saying things like “You can’t catch me, Mommy!”. I know she was this old because I have a few early memories of her doing this. I would have been younger than four at the time because I remember my mother giving my sister a lecture about her not being a good sister to me (after spanking her) and telling her that she must stop doing this because I am still young and might start doing what she does. As it turns out I did not start doing this but it was one of the things that my mother would often worry about.

• Sad
Reactions: wetaccident and 12srepaid
When I went back to nappies at night during my teens I had to deal with them my self.

Wetshisbed said:
When I went back to nappies at night during my teens I had to deal with them my self.
Did that work out well for you?

Lily12345 said:
I always had to wait to get changed out of my bedwetting diaper until I turned 10, when I was trusted for the last few years. Getting changed with my youngest sister was so embarrassing for me. And it was always a big deal to put it on with my pyjamas. Once I had my night diaper on, I wasn't as bothered, unless it was summer and too hot for pyjama pants
So your deal was that it was only embarrassing when it was visible?
Was it covered, it was no problem?
I can actually agree, the change, always, unless I was sick or ill, then it didn't matter,
until a diarrhea happened. Think I might have been 12 or so, had a small leak, were asked to wear a diaper, I agreed and was soon diapered. Then, when it was needed...
Very embarrassing to clean up and afterwards, the diaper became mandatory until my tummy was all settled again...

Last edited:
It always depends on the case you wear them. When your parents arent bastards and they love you, the changies will never make you feel embarrasing, but wearing diapers at all may affect on relationship with your schoolmates which will be more embarrasing than changies, but when your parents are bastard, then changies is more embarrasing.

Reactions: jamiejamie
Palle said:
So your deal was that it was only embarrassing when it was visible?
Was it covered, it was no problem?
I can actually agree, the change, always, unless I was sick or ill, then it didn't matter,
until a diarrhea happened. Think I might have been 12 or so, had a small leak, were asked to wear a diaper, I agreed and was soon diapered. Then, when it was needed...
Very embarrassing to clean up and afterwards, the diaper became mandatory until my tummy was all settled again...
Yep it was always being changed alongside my youngest sister, who was still a "baby" in my eyes made me feel very similar about it all. I hated the act of putting them on, especially when it was essentially just pulling up a pair of pants. Once they were on I knew they were there but you'd often forget because it became so normal

Reactions: Lostdiapersboy and Palle
A funny detail with -for instance- the Pampers size 8 is, that asides of the name "Pampers" being linked to babies by default, they're also called BABY DRY ;D

Reactions: AJFan2020
I still wore diapers during the night when I was around 10 years old. But by that time I knew how to put on and take off my own diaper. Getting changed would probably have been embarrassing. Wearing them didn’t bother me too much unless there was a sleepover and I was the only one who still had to put on a diaper.

Reactions: 12srepaid
Lily12345 said:
Yep it was always being changed alongside my youngest sister, who was still a "baby" in my eyes made me feel very similar about it all. I hated the act of putting them on, especially when it was essentially just pulling up a pair of pants. Once they were on I knew they were there but you'd often forget because it became so normal
As long as you don't have to waddle, then they are hard to disregard and try to forget about 🫣

Last edited:
Reactions: Lostdiapersboy
Getting changed... I wore till I was 17 for bedwetting, travel , or anytime we were out that a bathroom wasn't readily available. my mother wasn't always discreate, we would be at my grandparents for holiday gatherings and she'd diaper me right along with when my aunts were changing my younger cousins for the night... If we were going skiing or to a amusement park I'd have to wear a diaper for the trip in the car there, then once we got there she'd change my diaper on the tailgate of the car before we went in , and drag a diaper bag along with us.... I wasn't till I was 13 that I could convince her how embarrassing it was for me and she'd let me do it myself and trade tte diaper bag for a backpack...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Lyric and Palle
Harley07 said:
Getting changed... I wore till I was 17 for bedwetting, travel , or anytime we were out that a bathroom wasn't readily available. my mother wasn't always discreate, we would be at my grandparents for holiday gatherings and she'd diaper me right along with when my aunts were changing my younger cousins for the night... If we were going skiing or to a amusement park I'd have to wear a diaper for the trip in the car there, then once we got there she'd change my diaper on the tailgate of the car before we went in , and drag a diaper bag along with us.... I wasn't till I was 13 that I could convince her how embarrassing it was fir me and she'd let me do it myself and trade tte diaper bag for a backpack...
Uncovered change on the tailgate, not pull-up type of diapers then I suppose...
My mother did at least have the decency to always change in somewhat private surroundings.
Usually a restroom, but since both me and my bigger sister wore, we were usually changed at the same time, in the same restroom, so there it was always a lack of privacy, not that I minded that at all... But I remember the shame of having a fresh diaper on when leaving the restrooms...

• Love
Reactions: Lostdiapersboy
I’m not sure at what age getting changed really becomes embarrassing but I remember getting changed when I was about 7 when I was sick and I felt pretty embarrassed. Maybe the embarrassment came from intentionally wetting and then having my mom say I should try to avoid having accidents more than the change itself but either way, getting changed is way more embarrassing than just having to wear a diaper.

Reactions: MikeyD1981 and Palle
Getting changed as I got older would have been super embarrassing for lots of reasons. You don’t want your mom seeing your privates anymore when you’re older and just the act of being changed in public would be horrifying. I’m imagining a lot of us (or maybe just me) fantasize now about being changed by a mommy or something similar, but I don’t think a lot of us (or maybe just me again) actually want to have it done, especially when we were younger. It was hard enough having to continue to wear diapers when all my siblings and peers stopped needing them. My mom understood that and tried her best to normalize it for me and my siblings as well and help me with clothes to hide it as best as we could.

Reactions: DiaperGirly
Neither

I was changed by our nanny as I wet the bed until I was 6. Back then - the 60s - it was Terry nappies and waterproof pants. My younger siblings were dry before me. I don’t remember being embarrassed it was just what happened. I started to wet the bed again at boarding school and had to report to the matron before going to my dorm to change into terry nappy pants and waterproof pants. There were quite a few of us boys who wet the bed and it was just accepted and I don’t recall being teased at all. It was much more embarrassing as I got older. Trying to change and not be obvious I was wearing nappies was difficult.

As a kid I always changed myself exclusively, so I can’t really say much. I did recently remember a situation that happened for a while my parents should have put me in diapers though. I recently learned about encopresis and I am absolutely certain I had it. Poop would suddenly start to come out and I would have to cross my legs and do everything possible to hold it back until the urge subsided enough to walk to the bathroom. I remember so many times lining the inside of my underwear with toilet paper so I didn’t feel the cold skidmark against my skin. Before I started bedwetting, I remember waking up one morning when I was 5 and I was wearing clean underwear. The previous day a little more poop than normal had snuck out before I could get to the bathroom and I remember being in the car later that day with my mom telling me I smelled like poop. I was so embarrassed to find out that my mom changed my underwear while I was sleeping, that when I actually started bedwetting less than a year later, I resorted to stealing diapers from kids at my babysitters rather than letting her believe I was having pee accidents now too.
Turns out this was ridiculously silly of me and I’ve had talks with my mom about it as an adult. Being a kid was constant stress and anxiety. I never wanted to be a kid then, and I still don’t now. I’m certain being changed is more embarrassing than just wearing a diaper.

i definitely have to say someone changing your diaper anytime after like 4 yrs old is always way more embarrassing. when you have the cognitive ability to know that other kids your age are not also in diapers and definitely as one person said above, adults seem to always revert to baby talk when changing a kids diaper...its so true. I mean diaper boxes and bags have pictures of babies on them, not 6 year olds... well.. goodnites do, but that's differnt.

If it was my mom, babysiter, friends mom's, nurses in hospital, changing my diaper I can always remember them totally using baby talk: Pee Pee, diapee, 'doo doo' . in my house growing up i was in diapers every night till i was 7 and having a younger bro of 3 years, he was also in them, and so my mom definitely treated me my much the same as him when it came to changes, checks, and little to no self responsibility for it; she just did it. I had others change my diapers too and certainly those adults would see the process as something they did for their own little ones when they were toddlers. Suddenly the six year old becomes 2 again right?

I kind of thing this has changed with more products for older kids, where parents can buy their kids goodnites and let them be responsible for putting them on and taking them off. I think if you were to take a 7 yearold today at a sleepover who brings their own goodnites and puts it on and takes it off vs having that same kid have a parent take them aside and change them into a tape on diaper, the diaper change would be 'way more embarassing' for that kid...

my 2 cents ;-)

Reactions: JOCKMAN
I wore training underwear and plastic underpants until age 8. I was used to it and my older brother wore until he was about 7 or 8 so us being in our protective undergarments and a tee shirt was normal at our house ands not embarrassing. However at a friend's sleepover I wet and leaked by my trainers & borrowed plastic underpants so my best friend's; mother put me in a full diaper with pins and larger plastic underpants on a subsequent sleepover. I was mortified as she pinned it on me and pulled the larger size pp on me. But over all it turned out better because I soaked myself that first night but never leaked. On my return home I actually asked my mother if I could wear a full diaper & pp again to prevent leaks. She understood and I wore these until about age 10. However they were pull on thick cloth diapers and pp so I could dress myself each night.

DiaperGirly said:
I’m not sure at what age getting changed really becomes embarrassing but I remember getting changed when I was about 7 when I was sick and I felt pretty embarrassed. Maybe the embarrassment came from intentionally wetting and then having my mom say I should try to avoid having accidents more than the change itself but either way, getting changed is way more embarrassing than just having to wear a diaper.

I can't even imagine how embarrassing that would be. Just knowing I was wearing diapers at that age was humiliating enough, even though I secretly liked it.

Back