Don't worry be happy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Carer
Looking for recommendations on bed pads.
I've found that adult nappies are becoming less absorptive as they claim and my nappy leaks at night now regularly.

I'm going to start using bed pads now, aswell as boosters.

I've seem loads of different bed pads to use but I've noticed Pampers and Huggies do them too.

So has anyone tried these?
Which are best?
Whats your experience with them?

Washable pul lined bigger the better I'm a side sleeper and it's not like I can control when or how much I wet I have 8 of em and simply change it after a leak and wash benn using the same ones for 2 years very awesome

Without a doubt buy the reusable ones (cloth/PUL/waterproof) as they not only work the best, resist crumpling up into a little ball but if cared for properly last for YEARS. I have several that are almost 15 years old and still functional. The secret I found is to let them air dry (I hang them on a clothesline in my basement) as they heat from the dryer seems to break down the water-proofing aspect of them. I also put 2 under my sheets just in case I somehow manage to miss the one on top of my sheets to protect the rest of the bedding.

I have almost 19 years of experience with this issue so feel free to ask me anything. I likely have the answer.

Reactions: Littlerhinoabdl and antte91
Northshore makes the best ones you can buy, but they are super expensive. They work very well and will hold a full-sized adult wetting without trouble. During warmer months I like to properly wet the bed without being padded, and these are the only ones that work for full wettings.

If you don't plan on fully wetting them, then the most absorbent in my experience is goodnites bedmats. They hold a lot more than pampers or any medical disposable mats that I have tried. They are great for leaks and are very comfortable.

I would also agree that reusable bed mats are usually the best way to go in terms of cost and the environment. I find them to be less comfortable to sleep on though, which is why I opt for disposable, but I do use a reusable mattress protector under the sheets as a backup.

Reactions: Littlerhinoabdl and chamberpot
Like few mentioned reusable would be most cost efficient if you have access to a washer and dryer they cost little more up front but I have some that are 5+ yrs old still work. not sure what the fabric is called but there is a type which I believe honestly is the mid priced ones that I have found the best. To the touch it feels like it has couple layers or little thicker. I have paid for some more expensive ones and it's a mix bag like got one think made for bed wetting kind of thin but works amazing but have others they work but & still use them but wouldn't spend the money. I will say the mid-priced I bought were after the hospital gave me some when I left rehab & went online and bought similar ones. Think ones I have a Becks Classics and Medline Softnit but you can usually find some under different names. Becks I liked because it's an American company and think it's their brand of the higher end ones and some of the Birdeye ones I have.

As far as disposable pad depending on your size there are few sizes but ones I use are 30x36(they cover a hospital bed perfectly) I have tried a few currently using Medline ultrasorb but honestly if you can find the ones with cloth backed or breathable type vs plastic backed. Most plastic backed are junk the cloth backed have similar material to diapers and absorb better of the hospitals that use them they use this kind and where I learned about them they were using the attends brand and I tried attends, Tranquility and Medline and for the money Medline worked just as good as the bigger name brands. I tried the good nites ones but they seemed expensive and medical worked as good of not better

I usually put a washable down with disposable on top so because I am paralyzed if I have bad day I can just toss the disposable and hopefully by the next change pain improves and I can get new disposable one.

Also will say the thing I like about disposable vs reusable is the technology that pulls wetness away from skin for me skin care is a high priority. Some of the higher priced reusable do have to whicking or drier feeling. Also disposables are slightly thinner so they work better for travel, I actually tried using a longer reusable pad as a travel changing pad and it was to bulky. But both do come in various sizes also some of the disposables you may see weight measurements and it's because reusables pads are often use to position/lift patients, now some disposables can be used to lift people but if not a feature you need the absorbency is the same so lowest weight cap will be cheaper.

Reactions: Littlerhinoabdl and Freddie07601
loadedpamperman said:
Without a doubt buy the reusable ones (cloth/PUL/waterproof) as they not only work the best, resist crumpling up into a little ball but if cared for properly last for YEARS. I have several that are almost 15 years old and still functional. The secret I found is to let them air dry (I hang them on a clothesline in my basement) as they heat from the dryer seems to break down the water-proofing aspect of them. I also put 2 under my sheets just in case I somehow manage to miss the one on top of my sheets to protect the rest of the bedding.

I have almost 19 years of experience with this issue so feel free to ask me anything. I likely have the answer.
Thanks top tip šŸ‘

Reactions: CptKirk
patrick1776 said:
Northshore makes the best ones you can buy, but they are super expensive. They work very well and will hold a full-sized adult wetting without trouble. During warmer months I like to properly wet the bed without being padded, and these are the only ones that work for full wettings.

If you don't plan on fully wetting them, then the most absorbent in my experience is goodnites bedmats. They hold a lot more than pampers or any medical disposable mats that I have tried. They are great for leaks and are very comfortable.

I would also agree that reusable bed mats are usually the best way to go in terms of cost and the environment. I find them to be less comfortable to sleep on though, which is why I opt for disposable, but I do use a reusable mattress protector under the sheets as a backup.

Thanks for the tip šŸ‘ šŸ˜€

ParaRomeo said:
Like few mentioned reusable would be most cost efficient if you have access to a washer and dryer they cost little more up front but I have some that are 5+ yrs old still work. not sure what the fabric is called but there is a type which I believe honestly is the mid priced ones that I have found the best. To the touch it feels like it has couple layers or little thicker. I have paid for some more expensive ones and it's a mix bag like got one think made for bed wetting kind of thin but works amazing but have others they work but & still use them but wouldn't spend the money. I will say the mid-priced I bought were after the hospital gave me some when I left rehab & went online and bought similar ones. Think ones I have a Becks Classics and Medline Softnit but you can usually find some under different names. Becks I liked because it's an American company and think it's their brand of the higher end ones and some of the Birdeye ones I have.

As far as disposable pad depending on your size there are few sizes but ones I use are 30x36(they cover a hospital bed perfectly) I have tried a few currently using Medline ultrasorb but honestly if you can find the ones with cloth backed or breathable type vs plastic backed. Most plastic backed are junk the cloth backed have similar material to diapers and absorb better of the hospitals that use them they use this kind and where I learned about them they were using the attends brand and I tried attends, Tranquility and Medline and for the money Medline worked just as good as the bigger name brands. I tried the good nites ones but they seemed expensive and medical worked as good of not better

I usually put a washable down with disposable on top so because I am paralyzed if I have bad day I can just toss the disposable and hopefully by the next change pain improves and I can get new disposable one.

Also will say the thing I like about disposable vs reusable is the technology that pulls wetness away from skin for me skin care is a high priority. Some of the higher priced reusable do have to whicking or drier feeling. Also disposables are slightly thinner so they work better for travel, I actually tried using a longer reusable pad as a travel changing pad and it was to bulky. But both do come in various sizes also some of the disposables you may see weight measurements and it's because reusables pads are often use to position/lift patients, now some disposables can be used to lift people but if not a feature you need the absorbency is the same so lowest weight cap will be cheaper.
Thankyou for your information. Wow sounds like you're going through the mill. Bit like me. Hope everything is OK šŸ‘

Patrick, which ones do you use?

I did not even know that Pampers and Huggies had them. I have used the blue medical ones and they slide around under you and bunch up if you are not a dead corps when you sleep. šŸ˜† I do use them for clean up when I have a #2. Most of the time no matter how bad the mess I can use one blue bed pad and only 2 or 3 wipes and get clean. They work so much better than wipes to get the biggest part of the mess off. But for a actual bed pad use I always use reusable bed pads. They stay under me better and they absorb more and are cheap and easy to care for. I get mine from my human online pharmacy because I get a $300 allowance every 3 months. But I will post what I use below. Then if you want the best disposable underpad made Nothsore has them too. They sent me a few samples a couple moths back and I was very impressed. But the cost was near 2 bucks each. I will also leave a link to them as well. They will send you free samples of any products too. I highly recommend Mega Max.

If youā€™re wanting disposable, try the Parentā€™s Choice bed mats at Walmart. Half the price of Pampers or Goodnites mats. I really canā€™t tell a difference in quality. Not really ā€œabsorbentā€, but will save beds and seats from small dribbles or use them for changing in restrooms away from home.

Back