When you have mild incontinence and wear diapers but can use the toilet question

Do you use your diaper voluntarily or the toilet?

• I don’t use my diaper voluntarily

• I use my diaper voluntarily

• I always try to make it to the toilet

• I don’t care, that is what my diaper is for

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have IBS too and wear 24/7 for that reason. I do use my diapers to pee in voluntarily because it's a hassle trying to untape and re-tape an unused diaper to go to the bathroom.

• Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2, legojoker88 and 2 others
I still have most of my control, my bladder issues are a bit mild, post drible.The meds I take make me urinate quite a bit, and I’ve noticed that over the years I have lost the awareness of needing to go, until it becomes really urgent and at that point I just give up and use the diaper. Another big factor in all this is that I am very blind, not completely but enough to where it inhibits my speedy arrival to a bathroom on time before an accident can happen, even if I know where the bathroom is. Because of being blind and having overactive bladder Diapers have saved me quite a bit while just been out in the world and navigating is a lot slower, not having to deal with the stress of hoping you make it, and putting yourself in dangerous situations when you’re worried about your bladder more than your walking safety. At night if I wasn’t diaperedI would never get any sleep. Are usually use Incontrol diapers, the essentials are my favorite and I also use Safari and North shore mega max. I’m pretty much 24/7 at this point. I try my hardest to actually make it to the bathroom when I have to poop but that’s not always possible so the occasional accident like that does happen.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Diprs2
If I can find a toilet easily I will use the toilet. If not the diaper gets used.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2 and CLPP
Once I started using diapers (instead of pull-ups) and gave up on trying to make it to a toilet in time, I lost what remained of my bladder control pretty quick, like within three to six months. I also started having small bowel accidents about a year after I gave up on trying to hold my bladder, sometimes without noticing until I go to change. It doesn't happen very frequently though, and seems to come and go in waves.

More frequently though I'll have larger accidents right after I wake up. I usually feel a cramp first, so if I can tell it's inevitable I'll sometimes kind of hover while still laying down and purposely void into my diaper and then carefully get out of bed to change, but I think that if I started allowing myself to mess in public or even at home during the day I might lose some remaining control just like happened with my bladder, and I really don't want that.

There are times where I wake up in the middle of the night with a stomach cramp but am too exhausted to deal with it, so usually when that happens I let myself mess and immediately fall back asleep. The first few times I felt really ashamed when I woke up again and tried forcing myself to always get up and change, but after showering and changing I was never able to fall back asleep. Eventually I decided it wasn't worth feeling tired all day. I used to sleep on a pad in case of leaks in just my diapers and maybe a onesie.... when I started wearing plastic pants every night, it got alot easier to tell myself that it's okay to sometimes mess in bed since now I'm "prepared" for it.

I want to say, thank you to everyone who has shared their stories so far. It has helped me to stop over thinking it as others who wears diapers for mild incontinence has pointed out things I have thought about. Having an ABDL background has kinda blurred things for me. At first I didn’t think I need anything and I just wanted to wear diapers. However, after talking to a close friend she pointed out that other people don’t have the urge/leak/accident issue I do, so wearing a diaper is the adult thing to do.

I’m still curious of others stories as I think this post may help others that have struggle with always trying to make it to the toilet only to use their diapers and feel ashamed. The journey of acceptance is not always easy, but a large majority of people on this form are here to help!

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2, Angelapinks and 2 others
I try to use the toilet. But accidents happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, AccidentsHappen, Diprs2 and 1 other person
I don’t really have any issues during the day but have pretty much always been wet at night but often if I’m in a diaper I will just use it for ease. For example if I’m travelling and may fall asleep I will be diapered but often will just use it on a plane etc when seatbelt signs are on or if in a window seat so I don’t have to get up.

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, PadPhilosopher and Diprs2
Jg21101 said:
I don’t really have any issues during the day but have pretty much always been wet at night but often if I’m in a diaper I will just use it for ease. For example if I’m travelling and may fall asleep I will be diapered but often will just use it on a plane etc when seatbelt signs are on or if in a window seat so I don’t have to get up.
Airplanes and diapers are a match made in heaven.

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, PadPhilosopher, Diprs2 and 1 other person
When I have one on I use it and when I don't I use the toilet. Since I layer it and wear a pull up over my cloth diaper and plastic pants over that it's easier to just use it.

I get sudden urges to pee. If I'm at home it's okay but they hurt a lot and make me anxious as to whether I'm going to make it or not and where the nearest bathroom is which makes me tighten up my body and I'm really headache prone. Using a diaper beats holding and eventually leaking anyway and then giving myself a headache which could be bad enough that I can't stand up all day. If I'm wearing for bowel problems at home I'll usually get up to pee in the toilet. Was in a really long checkout line at a store. and ended up using them 4x while standing in line.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2, munkey and 1 other person
I'm a bed wetter so I am diapered whenever I sleep, including any planned daytime naps. I'm normally OK during the day and use the toilet. Sometimes, if I am wearing for enjoyment in the daytime, I will deliberately wet myself until the diaper is full.

I try to reach a bathroom but I don't have much sensation so quite often I am thankful of being padded

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2 and munkey
When I'm having a good day I follow a voiding schedule: every 90 minutes. If I have major urges between scheduled voids I use the diaper to help settle things down. The voiding schedule is a great exercise for maintaining bladder compliance, while avoiding retention.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2, inconsurferdude and 3 others
To be honest your situation is exactly what im going through as well. Even my partner has noticed how much more at ease I am than I was previously. I used to try and predict my cycles up until a few months ago, and only wear a diaper when i thought i was going to need it. Unfortunately I think this school of thought may have been the culprit for a lot of my stress. Part that makes me laugh is that after i finally committed to 24/7 my body shifted to a constipation cycle. But because im so paranoid about not being able to predict when the shift back will occur, I'm still staying protected full time.

Last edited:
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2, munkey and 1 other person
I replied that I use my diaper voluntarily, but that is not the full truth. I wear a pull-up during the day, and only use if if I urge while away from a toilet. Else I use it when I can. But overnight, I wear a diaper to avoid wetting the bed and will use it to get a good night's sleep.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Lethdale, Diprs2 and 3 others
I still try to make it to the bathroom if I have the urge but I do not get the urge often anymore. Even with the urge, there is no guarantee I can hold it until I reach the bathroom.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Lethdale, Diprs2 and 1 other person
If I can get to the bathroom I will but I wear pullups during the day just incase I have a accident. At night i will put on a diaper.

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192, PadPhilosopher, Diprs2 and 2 others
munkey said:
I don’t post much, but thank you to those that do. I’ve been mentally stuck and am looking for some community insight.

Earlier this year I started wearing diapers 24/7 to manage my IBS and stop accidents in my pants. I’ve always had minor issues with IBS all my life but never wore diapers to manage it, however, life changes as you age. I did wear diapers for pleasure, but at 42 the reason for my diaper usage has changed. It’s been about 7 months since I’ve started wearing it has been more mentally reassuring knowing that should I need my diaper, I’m covered. 😉 While I make jokes, it’s to cover the fact that a part of me wishes that it was just for pleasure, anyway, it is what it is.

The reason for the post is the last couple of months, when I need to pee, I’ve been using my diaper as it’s often easier, more convenient, my diaper doesn’t stretch out for sliding it down, I don’t have to run off and find a toilet when I’m out, and I could. Plus I wear the megamax as it’s fit is awesome and is super comfy and contains any kind of mess extremely well. However, for some strange reason I fell like I’m doing something wrong, like I feel some shame when I’ve used my diaper voluntarily as opposed to when it’s not voluntarily. When it’s comes to wetting, I’m not actively training to be diaper dependent, my IBS has done that for me already. Like the other day, in the grocery store, I had to go and some leaked out. I just went about my shopping as I was almost done and left and went home. While I was feeling a little embarrassed, it wasn’t much and would have been worse if I wasn’t protected and that’s why I wear diapers. So, mentally, it wasn’t that big of a deal.

I guess my question is; does anyone else who wears for medical need that also has control use their diapers voluntarily? Or do you try to make it to the toilet?

Bonus question, am I just overthinking this?

Thank you for your input!☺️
I just gave up trying to hold it once I switched to nappies.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2 and inconsurferdude
Babybear2006 said:
If I can get to the bathroom I will but I wear pullups during the day just incase I have a accident. At night i will put on a diaper.
This is exactly what i do, during the day i may or may not use my pull-up depending on how fast the urge is and where i am, at night once i diaper up and go to be I'll only use my diaper, sometimes a wear that i am and most often while sleeping

If I am very near a toilet and get the urge then I will use the toilet, sometimes I just get the front of my Nappy pulled down and off it goes so rather than spraying everything the Nappy gets pulled up PDQ 😯
#2 is very different as once the urge starts it is beyond my control most days.

Back