Successfully quit smoking

Congratulations, @matt1989! Obviously a huge positive step for your health. My wife and I both flirted with smoking when we were younger, but managed to avoid getting hooked. Unfortunately we've both lost multiple relatives to smoking-related illnesses. Do what you need to do to make sure the cigs stay gone! The people who love you will thank you for keeping yourself around.

So that's one New Year's resolution down, and we're only six weeks into 2024. I hope you had another big one. ;)

Reactions: Zeke, CLeazy928, KBoy and 1 other person
That's great. Sounds like you didn't need extra help on quitting smoking. My Dad quit smoking on his own. I'm sure he had a few hard days in the beginning but he managed to quit on his own
Congrats again on a job well done.

Reactions: Zeke, matt1989, KBoy and 1 other person
I noticed some of you guys mentioned using a vape if you want to quit completely the Secret is cut back on the nicotine if you’re using 12 mg cut back to 6 mg then 3mg then get some vape juice @ 0 mg mix with 3 mg 50/50 by this point you’re @ 1.5 mg .
The guy who owns my vape shop does this he only does it at work I asked him why don’t you quit if you’re not addicted… he says I run a vape shop.

• Thinking
Reactions: matt1989, PaddedPonyboy, KBoy and 2 others
Congratulations on quitting. I know it's extremely difficult as I was a smoker until I was about 27. I know this is hard to believe but I started smoking when I was 8 years old. I lived in a tough, middle of nowhere neighborhood and in order to hang out with the older boys, I had to smoke with them. They said it was so I wouldn't rat them out. You know how nicotine works as it's highly addictive, so I got easily hooked at that young age. Quitting was one of the best things I ever did. I wrote a short story called "Smokers" when I took a creative writing class a few years ago. I should post it to our story site.

• Thinking
Reactions: Zeke, matt1989, KBoy and 1 other person
As the old saying goes “Quitting smoking is easy, I’ve done it hundreds of times.”. When I quit my first time for any substantial period I managed to make it 3 years before getting started again by smoking those little cigars Clint Eastwood smoked in his spaghetti westerns. When I was out of cigars one night I bought the first cigarettes in over 3 years and was officially back smoking. I had been waking up from nightmares where I dreamed that I had smoked and woke up to find, to my relief, that it was just a dream. Then after another 7 years of smoking, up to 4 packs a day, I quit again when my daughter was born nearly 39 years ago. I don’t get any kind of craving any longer, but occasionally a really bad idea will run through my head that one cigarette wouldn’t hurt me and I have to chase it out before I do something stupid like acting on the urge. When I look at how much better I feel, how much money I’ve saved, and the people that I haven’t offended with my cigarette smoking I only wish that I’d quit earlier. Of all the people that I know who have quit smoking I’ve never met anyone who’s regretted doing it and I’m sure that you’ll feel fortunate to count yourself amongst the nonsmokers.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaddedPonyboy and KBoy
matt1989 said:
I haven't had a craving for a cigarettes close to a year now with the exception at my best friend funeral last month and I didn't even wanted to finish it. I've try many times off and on over the years but I think I really did it this time. I think the biggest thing that helps was changing my work environment not only was there last smoker around me and second not really having time for smoke breaks. I got to say I am starting to feel healthier. I'm able to breather and I have a lot more stamina than I did before. I say the one down side is I've started to eat more so I've started to suck on Lifesavers to help carve my appetite. All and all I'm really proud of myself and really glad I was able to brack the habit before I gave myself lung cancer or something and not to mention the money I've saving.😁
Congratulations! I quit myself a little over a year ago. It was the hardest thing ever at first but has gotten easier. I still get cravings from time to time, but not being around smokers helps a lot. Stay the course my friend 😁

Zeke said:
As the old saying goes “Quitting smoking is easy, I’ve done it hundreds of times.”. When I quit my first time for any substantial period I managed to make it 3 years before getting started again by smoking those little cigars Clint Eastwood smoked in his spaghetti westerns. When I was out of cigars one night I bought the first cigarettes in over 3 years and was officially back smoking. I had been waking up from nightmares where I dreamed that I had smoked and woke up to find, to my relief, that it was just a dream. Then after another 7 years of smoking, up to 4 packs a day, I quit again when my daughter was born nearly 39 years ago. I don’t get any kind of craving any longer, but occasionally a really bad idea will run through my head that one cigarette wouldn’t hurt me and I have to chase it out before I do something stupid like acting on the urge. When I look at how much better I feel, how much money I’ve saved, and the people that I haven’t offended with my cigarette smoking I only wish that I’d quit earlier. Of all the people that I know who have quit smoking I’ve never met anyone who’s regretted doing it and I’m sure that you’ll feel fortunate to count yourself amongst the nonsmokers.
That's funny I hade those dreams myself but it was when give up smoking weed. I guess the brain gets what it once one way or another.

• Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
gamefreak94 said:
Congratulations! I quit myself a little over a year ago. It was the hardest thing ever at first but has gotten easier. I still get cravings from time to time, but not being around smokers helps a lot. Stay the course my friend 😁
Ya not being around other smokers does help. I don't think I would it be able to do it if I still have my old job. Almost everybody that work their smoked.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Yayyyy, congratulations!!! 🎉🥳

Reactions: matt1989 and BobbiSueEllen
It's funny but two weeks after I quit, I never had a desire to start again. I wonder if I'm an exception rather than the rule? I remember a dream I had years ago where I was with a group of people at a party and I was smoking a cigarette. In the dream I suddenly realized I was smoking again and I was very upset. Weird, I know...haha.

dogboy said:
It's funny but two weeks after I quit, I never had a desire to start again. I wonder if I'm an exception rather than the rule? I remember a dream I had years ago where I was with a group of people at a party and I was smoking a cigarette. In the dream I suddenly realized I was smoking again and I was very upset. Weird, I know...haha.
I hade the same type of dreams but I was smoking weed. Funny enough quitting weed was much more easier than cigarettes

dogboy said:
It's funny but two weeks after I quit, I never had a desire to start again. I wonder if I'm an exception rather than the rule?
In my instance, after the hypno, I got inside, laid on my bed, watching Johnny Carson as the sun set. 20 minutes later, I had an urge and instinctively rose up off the bed...and suddenly the urge disappeared--poof!--so I laid back down. 45 minutes later: another urge, another rise...another urge goes POP! like a bubble, another lay-down. This occurred for the next 10 days, lessening in frequency and reaction daily...until it just stopped. Gads, I love self-hypno. 🥰

dogboy said:
I remember a dream I had years ago where I was with a group of people at a party and I was smoking a cigarette. In the dream I suddenly realized I was smoking again and I was very upset. Weird, I know...haha.
Here's the other good part: no ciggy dreams at all after hypno. 🥳

Reactions: KBoy and dogboy
Congratulations!!! I hate cigarettes with a passion. That's what should be illegal. Fighting that is a lost cause, I'm afraid.

matt1989 said:
I hade the same type of dreams but I was smoking weed. Funny enough quitting weed was much more easier than cigarettes
Yes, quitting weed is much easier. But I also quit cigarettes back in '09 like nothing, super easily, somehow. So glad I did. I quit weed many times throughout my life. I've always had an on/off relationship with Mary Jayne. Can never seem to let it go.

Reactions: KBoy and matt1989
I have been a smoker since I was about 16. That was a long time ago ..in the early 80s. Fast forward to last Friday, when my partner had to take me to the hospital, because I couldn't breathe. The interim diagnosis is COPD, and further tests on the 26th will show damage, and a plan for the future. One reality, is that I know smokes are a primary contributor...then there is my work in construction that makes it worse. Anyhow, I have reduced to about 5 a day (yeah .I. still stupid). But I am cutting one out every day. I know it's a necessity. Not an easy thing, but important. Kudos for quitting and staying away...I am on your heals, and looking forward to being smoke free by the end of this coming week.

Keep it up!!

• Wow
Reactions: KBoy, matt1989 and dogboy
Yay hug!

Reactions: KBoy and matt1989
Congratulations on quitting smokes!! I did years ago! One of my (platonic) guy friends helped. We’re both kinky and it was accountability and impact play that worked. 😉

Reactions: KBoy and Kellycares
DBabygirl2 said:
Congratulations on quitting smokes!! I did years ago! One of my (platonic) guy friends helped. We’re both kinky and it was accountability and impact play that worked. 😉
Hey if it works at work

Congratulations! I too quit about a year ago. Mine was a habit gained from the military. Work and social settings were my usual smoking times, never smoked at home really and absolutely never inside. I enjoyed the smokes but I always hated the way it smelled and the way it looked. I smoked for just over 20 years and then one day just stopped. Don't know why, I've never consciously tried to quit nor did I choose to quit. It really just sort of happened.

I will say that I was never really a heavy smoker like some. I would consume a pack a week, maybe a tad more. When I first started a pack would last me a month or even more. I haven't even really thought about "quitting" until this thread, lol. I will say that once in a blue moon, I do miss having a smoke (drinking with a buddy, a beautiful evening outside after a great meal or hard day, after a really long drive) but the desire is fleeting and not very strong. I wish I could enjoy a smoke like an occasional thing (maybe once a month?) but I'm not stupid, I know that's exactly how it starts, hahaha! That's exactly how I started way back when. Nope nope nope, not gonna do it again.

To quote the great Harry Hogge, "No, no, no, no sir! Can't use 'em, don't want 'em, couldn't afford 'em if i did."

Reactions: KBoy and dogboy
I can relate to your reply. Ty. I was never a heavy smoker either.. just socially and to/from work. I didn’t mind the smell until I struggled to quit. I couldn’t seem to get rid of it.

Reactions: KBoy and Kellycares
Back