Successfully quit smoking

matt1989

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
  4. Other
I haven't had a craving for a cigarettes close to a year now with the exception at my best friend funeral last month and I didn't even wanted to finish it. I've try many times off and on over the years but I think I really did it this time. I think the biggest thing that helps was changing my work environment not only was there last smoker around me and second not really having time for smoke breaks. I got to say I am starting to feel healthier. I'm able to breather and I have a lot more stamina than I did before. I say the one down side is I've started to eat more so I've started to suck on Lifesavers to help carve my appetite. All and all I'm really proud of myself and really glad I was able to brack the habit before I gave myself lung cancer or something and not to mention the money I've saving.😁

• Love
Reactions: Pamperhead, db80, Tine and 22 others
That's awesome Matt, that takes a lot of will power to quit, you did it!, HighFive👍😎

• Love
Reactions: Zeke, KBoy, Tigressmoon22 and 2 others
matt1989 said:
I haven't had a craving for a cigarettes close to a year now with the exception at my best friend funeral last month and I didn't even wanted to finish it. I've try many times off and on over the years but I think I really did it this time. I think the biggest thing that helps was changing my work environment not only was there last smoker around me and second not really having time for smoke breaks. I got to say I am starting to feel healthier. I'm able to breather and I have a lot more stamina than I did before. I say the one down side is I've started to eat more so I've started to suck on Lifesavers to help carve my appetite. All and all I'm really proud of myself and really glad I was able to brack the habit before I gave myself lung cancer or something and not to mention the money I've saving.😁
Congratulations, coming from a family of smokers I probably should have been one myself. I tried it once in my teens, hated it and have never smoked since. Getting close to 70 now. Both my parents passed with smoking related problems. These days no one in my Family both near and far smoke. I have an addiction though.....nappies! I don't think it will damage my health.

Reactions: Zeke, KBoy, Tigressmoon22 and 3 others
Congratulations!! And, just keep-on Stopping everyday! Addictions are difficult to kick and that is why I recommend Stopping Everyday!!

I came from a family of smokers. Today, its only me as the others have all past as a result of smoking issues.

Reactions: Zeke, Jorelaxed, KBoy and 2 others
Congrats on quitting , 11 years ago I gave up both nicotine and caffeine , the hardest part was “muscle memory” unconsciously reaching for where your cigarettes used to be . For me those little things like needing a “pick me up” tired,stressed that triggered the reach lingered longer than the actual desire to smoke .

matt1989 said:
Good for you!

Reactions: Zeke, Jorelaxed, KBoy and 1 other person
Thank guys it wasn't easy. I grew up in a house with both parents smoke so even as a child I was probably getting second hand smoking. The hard parts that what work for me may not work for someone else. Cooled turkey never helped in my opinion vaping is nothing more than trading one habit for another and those patches and gums did nothing. In the end took me separating myself from the environment and sadly refrain from being around certain people. Not that I was being hate full but I needed to stay away from what triggers the cravings. Now I have a hard time being around that smell. You never notice it when your a smoker but it hits hard when you don't. Thankfully I never spoke to my home. Thing you guys for your praises.

Reactions: Jorelaxed, KBoy, Tigressmoon22 and 3 others
That's awesome! You're doing great kicking such a crutch habit. I started smoking in 2016 after a car accident brought on a lot of financial stress. I put the cigarettes down in 2018 but I only switched to vaping. I didn't quit outright. My dad passed away in 2020 so I found myself back on the death sticks. I put them back down in 2021 and then picked them back up in 2022 when my grandpa passed. I put them back down before 2022 ended but I just brought my vape back into the habit fold. Currently I'm only using my vape mod with 6mg nicotine juice. I would like to put down the nicotine permanently but it's been incredibly tough to shake with everything going on in life. Nicotine is such a crutch and I know it's not a crutch I need anymore but even though I recognize it's a bad habit I still find myself reaching for my vape

• Sad
Congratulations that's a big step to achieve and one that is/will be very healthy and beneficial. Keep up the good work :)(y)

Reactions: Zeke, Jorelaxed, KBoy and 3 others
CLeazy928 said:
That's awesome! You're doing great kicking such a crutch habit. I started smoking in 2016 after a car accident brought on a lot of financial stress. I put the cigarettes down in 2018 but I only switched to vaping. I didn't quit outright. My dad passed away in 2020 so I found myself back on the death sticks. I put them back down in 2021 and then picked them back up in 2022 when my grandpa passed. I put them back down before 2022 ended but I just brought my vape back into the habit fold. Currently I'm only using my vape mod with 6mg nicotine juice. I would like to put down the nicotine permanently but it's been incredibly tough to shake with everything going on in life. Nicotine is such a crutch and I know it's not a crutch I need anymore but even though I recognize it's a bad habit I still find myself reaching for my vape
Being death stick is a strong trigger. Losing a love one in itself stressful. Trust me your going fall off that horse moor times than moor times you care to count but in the words of Goku you got to get back up and eat that horse. 😁

Reactions: Jorelaxed, KBoy, Edgewater and 1 other person
So far, almost 10 months here! The self-hypno experiment is a success: zero cravings whatsoever...there has been a very rare, errant trigger for a craving but within a split-second, it vanishes completely. No cigs since, and being too close to cig smoke registers as unpleasant, almost nauseating.

In April of 2022, I got very sick with flu: whenever I got that sick, the urge to smoke was gone and this illness was over a week. When it was done, I decided to try not smoking...and made it 11 months before major stress got the best of me and I went "back on the pack". So I tried that hypno in May '23...and was stunned to experience it working. Still am. SFSG. 🥳🥰

• Wow
matt1989 said:
Being death stick is a strong trigger. Losing a love one in itself stressful. Trust me your going fall off that horse moor times than moor times you care to count but in the words of Goku you got to get back up and eat that horse. 😁
Thank you for quoting Goku for me! His guidance and influence have always been huge in life. I should try drawing his inspiration as it relates to quitting the habit.

Reactions: KBoy, Edgewater and BobbiSueEllen
WTG I quit in 2009 when smokes jumped to 10 dollars a pack. They said it was to put smokes out of reach of kids. Not hardly it was all about sin tax. Anyway I to tried a few times before I got it right. I thought I was gonna just move into the refrigerator. On a good note I don't stink anymore. I will tell you this anytime you walk by someone who is smoking the smell of a lit cigarette smells really good. You keep it it's tuff to stay quit. Was funny when I quit I made sure I smoked the last one I had the night before. I parked at a rest area for the night. It sucked but the longer I went the less I felt attached to it. KEEP THE QUIT as we used to say back then.

Reactions: Zeke, Jorelaxed, KBoy and 1 other person
Well, congratulations! I still smoke, so I know how hard it is to give up.

I’m curious, did you find that having to wear diapers, as an adult, make quitting easier, or, harder?

I occasionally get severe anxiety and have some other issues, so, for me, especially from a mental health standpoint, trying to accept I wear diapers now, and dealing with my diaper needs, has made even the thought of giving up cigarettes, totally overwhelming.

Reactions: KBoy and BobbiSueEllen
Kellycares said:
Well, congratulations! I still smoke, so I know how hard it is to give up.

I’m curious, did you find that having to wear diapers, as an adult, make quitting easier, or, harder?

I occasionally get severe anxiety and have some other issues, so, for me, especially from a mental health standpoint, trying to accept I wear diapers now, and dealing with my diaper needs, has made even the thought of giving up cigarettes, totally overwhelming.
I don't think my diaper wearing influence my smoking and one way or the other. I do see both as different forms of addiction but the difference is diaper rash is a hell of a lot easier to cure than lung cancer

• Love
Reactions: KBoy, sissybaby34, Edgewater and 1 other person
Congratulations, your body will thank you as you grow older.

Reactions: KBoy and Edgewater
good job! that's really hard to deal with, i smoked for a while and i quit out of financial necessity and i'm so glad that i did because my migraines went way down. it's not an easy thing to do, i'm proud of you! your body is definitely much happier, and i'm sure your mental health will improve, too, now that it's not constantly on your mind!

sometimes what makes people want to smoke is that they just want a change of scenery, or an excuse to step outside. i found that just standing on the porch for a bit and just observing my surroundings helped me feel less inclined to reach for a smoke, especially if i sipped a nice cold drink or had a snack with me. way better habit to build for sure!

Reactions: KBoy, matt1989 and BobbiSueEllen
PaddedPonyboy said:
sometimes what makes people want to smoke is that they just want a change of scenery, or an excuse to step outside. i found that just standing on the porch for a bit and just observing my surroundings helped me feel less inclined to reach for a smoke, especially if i sipped a nice cold drink or had a snack with me. way better habit to build for sure!
That's an incredible point. And one I can definitely agree with. When I tried to quit the the first time before my dad passed I would always find myself going for a walk whenever I had the craving. It didn't help every time but just getting myself in motion would help curb my desire for a cigarette. I had a fair few nights where I'd get home from a walk. Get triggered by something then rinse and repeat the process over multiple times. I really appreciate OP making this thread to share their experience and for others as well. I have maybe 1/2 a bottle of e liquid left and I think I'm gonna try to kick my vape for good once it's empty which will probably be on the 23rd.

Reactions: PaddedPonyboy, KBoy and BobbiSueEllen
CLeazy928 said:
That's an incredible point. And one I can definitely agree with. When I tried to quit the the first time before my dad passed I would always find myself going for a walk whenever I had the craving. It didn't help every time but just getting myself in motion would help curb my desire for a cigarette. I had a fair few nights where I'd get home from a walk. Get triggered by something then rinse and repeat the process over multiple times. I really appreciate OP making this thread to share their experience and for others as well. I have maybe 1/2 a bottle of e liquid left and I think I'm gonna try to kick my vape for good once it's empty which will probably be on the 23rd.
If you like I'll pray for your endeavors. Nicotine is a hard substance to give up no matter what form it takes God knows what else big tobacco puts in their products to make it even harder to quit. My best advice don't take falling off the horse as a excuse to give up on will giving up. It took me multiple times through the years.

Reactions: KBoy, Edgewater, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person
matt1989 said:
If you like I'll pray for your endeavors. Nicotine is a hard substance to give up no matter what form it takes God knows what else big tobacco puts in their products to make it even harder to quit. My best advice don't take falling off the horse as a excuse to give up on will giving up. It took me multiple times through the years.
I appreciate that. 🤙💜

Reactions: KBoy, Edgewater and BobbiSueEllen
Back