Options for Light Incontinence?

SourPatchSquid

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I've been online shopping for a while now, been too scared to try anything new. I currently just use XL Goodnites, but I worry about their capacity. I've tried tranquility briefs and they were sooo stiff. I do not like the granny panty look either. I've looked at Northshore MegaMax and I really like the color options, but I worry they won't be discreet enough, and that even the small will come up too high on my waist. I also have usually only used pull-up style. I don't always have issues making it to the restroom, I have ASD and on bad days my brain and bladder don't communicate correctly. Any input on products?

Reactions: DamianTheAngel
From what you describe and introduction, I would recommend having multiple options available to you depending on changing circumstances both physical and emotional. The choices and breath of products are really a trial and error/acceptance so, recommendations are just that. you will have to match your needs and budget.

Here are a few considerations (IMO):
  • There is the tension of cloth backed vs plastic, and selecting/excluding on this single issue is stupid. This mental entanglement is best avoided. Though just by stating this, I'm sure it will poke someone with a sharp stick. 🤺🤺
  • Lighter pull up styles that are more shape conforming, smaller sizes, and available at stores consider Always products. Online purchasing, Abena 0 and 1 and Molicare underwear are really good but costly.
  • Discreet diapers like Abena 0 and 1, Tranquility ATN or Slim, and Seni Classic are great though the costs (Abena) have risen the last few years; ATN being the cheapest. There are many other brands in the sub-50 cents category if costs are a concern.
  • Medically classified as heavy though light for the hobbyists are Seni Super Plus or Quatro both cheaper than products from NS and BetterDry.
  • Patterns, biblical capacity, and beyond I cannot really recommend for medical needs; either way as it is a personal choice. IMHO they are not cost effective ($3+/ea) nor practical for incontinent folks but, hey that's just my opinion.

I derive my _opinion_ by skin health, not smelling like an outhouse, budgets, and looking like a toddler aka wearing a ballon in my pants to name a few. Again it's my opinion, let's agree to disagree upfront.

Reactions: Edgewater and DamianTheAngel
If your incontinence is light enough you might try Depend Night Defense (even during the day). I don’t know how the capacity compares to Goodnites, though.

They don’t have tall standing leak guards so leaks are always possible. Therefore just buy one package to start with and see if they work for you. Also if you flood them liquid might flow through the cloth-like outer covering so be ready for that. Don’t wear light colored clothing when testing these just in case they don’t work out for you.

You probably won’t like how they look but they might work for you. In my experience it’s basically a coin toss whether they work for me on any given day. I should mention that I am toward the upper end of the weight limit on their largest size so that might have something to do with it.

Last edited:
SourPatchSquid said:
I've been online shopping for a while now, been too scared to try anything new. I currently just use XL Goodnites, but I worry about their capacity. I've tried tranquility briefs and they were sooo stiff. I do not like the granny panty look either. I've looked at Northshore MegaMax and I really like the color options, but I worry they won't be discreet enough, and that even the small will come up too high on my waist. I also have usually only used pull-up style. I don't always have issues making it to the restroom, I have ASD and on bad days my brain and bladder don't communicate correctly. Any input on products?
with just light continence i would say the mega max would be too much of a diaper, for it is a heavy extend wear style diaper. they are great especially the tie die and they run big. maybe the Northshore supreme. a good day time diaper is the Play Datz. it is lite weight and hold quite a bit. diapers and pullups come in so many styles and verity, so finding what fits and works best for you is going to be a trial and error process. Get suggestions from the diaper retailers' customer service and start with samples before investing a lot of money into something that might not work. most companies offer samples.

Reactions: Lethdale
I agree with everyone about trial and error, my major flow,leakage is at night, do I use the tranquility atn with boosters.(have recently starting useing pampers size 8 or luvs size 7, as a cheaper solution to booster pads, they seem to work pretty good , only have had two leaks at night.) I'm also a volunteer firefighter so I know about decreet VS capacity.. this is what I use, depends real fit during the day, and tranquility atn with boosters at night. And yes I have responded wearing both types. Diapers do work better and for the most part easier to change, but again what works for.me may not work for you. Just try what you can, good luck and be safe. If you have question ask you message me through this site.

My incontinence level is fairly light, but one thing I find is that products designed to deal with heavier volumes handle light ones VERY well. What that means for me is I don’t technically “need” a product with the capacity of Incontrol Essential or MegaMax, but when I use those, which is most of the time, I basically never feel damp. In fact, I barely notice leaks even happening.

Some people might find the higher cost, or the bulkier fit, to be a problem, and that’s completely understandable, For me, I find the discomfort of the extra bulk is more than offset by a complete absence of the damp and yuck feeling I get from a pull-up after a fairly short time. Also, the crinkly plastic was an issue at first, but at this point in life, I couldn’t care less about it. “Swish swish” all day long is fine with me :)

What I love about using “too much” protection - especially high quality products that have durable cores - is I can get a legit 12 hours out of those before a change is required, and I even have been stuck once or twice and had to push it to 15 hours (I don’t recommend that - I’m just saying it has happened), and I was still protected if somewhat uncomfortable.

Reactions: AUG168
I have light to mod incontinence. I started out using guards with regular underwear. When it got to the point I was using 4 a day I switched to pullups. I've tried so many different brands and for my issues the Depend Underwear (regular and night defense) work well and are readily available. I also like the prevail underwear for men. If you don't like white the Prevail Perfit for men in blue are a decent option. I'm waking more wet but not full on bed wetting so these work. I also use Threaded Armor training pants at night with an insert. They are super comfortable. Good luck

Back