My First sketch - Anyone good at drawing?

LuckyRed23

👻
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Please be kind!
I just found a free iPad sketching app so thought I'd give it a quick go. I've only ever drawn on paper before, and even that I haven't done in a while. My other excuse is I don't have a proper stylus 😁
Does anyone else draw that could provide some advice for beginners?

IMG_0096.PNG

• Love
Reactions: BBBen, KBoy, Sissyleslie and 6 others
Hey, that’s good! I like your style! My daughter does a lot of art on our tablet with just her fingers. I will say having watched a little bit, she does zoom in and out a lot.

Reactions: KBoy, mistykitty and LuckyRed23
Thanks, I was struggling to go to a finer pencil, but I guess maybe I should have started further out and zoom in to add detail. I found I used the undo option repeatedly, I think every line was redrawn 5 times 😁

Reactions: KBoy and TrueHero
Yeah, not bad 😉
Zooming in and out is par for the course with digital media. Never got into stylus use, even on PC, but I use the passive ones on my Fire tablet (may upgrade to the 11 with active stylus next Xmas, or whenever the cost comes down) for photo touch-ups (just fettled some sketch effect photos of my niece and her kid; effect done on the camera (Nikon), but they can be messy).
Got the drawing gloves? They seem like a necessity for tablets.

Reactions: KBoy and LuckyRed23
V2 had to look at some other people's work to figure out how to fix that jawline 😁
IMG_0097.PNG

• Love
Reactions: BBBen, KBoy, ShippoFox and 6 others
Didn't know drawing gloves existed but can see why, I added alot of 'happy little accidents' need alot more practice but this could be fun

I draw a lot but on paper. This ended up looking really good though. Nice thing about that is you can undo instead of erase.

Reactions: KBoy and Woncrinklz
mistykitty said:
I draw a lot but on paper. This ended up looking really good though. Nice thing about that is you can undo instead of erase.
Thanks, the downside of that is you end up redoing a line until its perfect 😁

LuckyRed23 said:
Thanks, the downside of that is you end up redoing a line until its perfect 😁
Very true

Colour? Yay or nay
IMG_0098.PNG

• Love
Reactions: JaysonTheRegressor, BBBen, KBoy and 10 others
  • Love
Reactions: BBBen, KBoy and LuckyRed23
@LuckyRed23 I like it!

Gosh, I was so into drawing as a kid. Somewhere along the way I chickened out and stopped. I often think about trying to get back into it though, especially since creating a fursona. And on that note: I notice you don’t identify as babyfur/diaperfur. Do you already have a non-diaper-wearing fursona, or…?

• Love
Reactions: BBBen, KBoy and Woncrinklz
LuckyRed23 said:
V2 had to look at some other people's work to figure out how to fix that jawline 😁
View attachment 125625
That's actually super amazing especially for a first try!!! Love the style

• Love
Reactions: KBoy, BBBen, Woncrinklz and 1 other person
Cottontail said:
Gosh, I was so into drawing as a kid. Somewhere along the way I chickened out and stopped. I often think about trying to get back into it though, especially since creating a fursona. And on that note: I notice you don’t identify as babyfur/diaperfur. Do you already have a non-diaper-wearing fursona, or…?
Thanks, I forgot how much I enjoy it, I used to draw superheroes in school and found it very calming. Then like you stopped when life got in the way, I have lots of hobbies that I need to schedule out some time for in 2024 I think.
I would say I was a furry, although I probably wouldn't need much convincing, I just like the art/creativity of creating new characters, I would love to build a fursuit too 😄

Reactions: KBoy, Woncrinklz and Cottontail
I can do portraits in pencil, worth money . well a few bucks anyway, haha. I use a grid. Focus on small lines. Its not a feature, its a curve from this corner to halfway across here...

Reactions: BBBen and KBoy
V4 final version 😁 I found out I can add layers so added V2 to V3 to firm up the lines, it blurs slightly where the layers don't quite line up. Not sure if I like that feature or if it's making my eyes go funny 😐
IMG_0102.PNG

• Love
Reactions: ComcoPants, JaysonTheRegressor, BBBen and 6 others
Wow, It looks great in color... I mean the color work is the best part... there are no real fine boundaries and the choices harmonize very well. it's a cool style. was this really your first time?

• Love
Reactions: KBoy, BBBen and LuckyRed23
LuckyRed23 said:
it blurs slightly where the layers don't quite line up. Not sure if I like that feature or if it's making my eyes go funny 😐
Hide the first layers, that's usually what I do:

1) very rough sketch
2) make 1) very opaque and draw over it, fixing proportions and stuff
3) make 2) very opaque and hide 1) fully to draw an actual sketch
4) make 3) opaque and hide everything below it to line over the sketch
5) add various color layers and stick them below the lines layer

Last edited:
Reactions: KBoy, BBBen and LuckyRed23
Thanks, that's really helpful, I almost did that by accident, the only error I guess is my colour isn't on its own layer, but with what you described as layer 2. Will remember this for next time tho. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Reactions: KBoy and BBBen
Awesome drawing!!! 🖍️🌈✨ I’m definitely not a drawing expert, but I’ve been drawing traditionally ever since I can remember and digitally since 2016 and I’ve learned that the undo button, eraser, layers and photo references are my friends! I like to do a very rough sketch on the first layer, then, lower the opacity of that layer and on the next one on top, draw the same thing again, but add in some more details and fix proportions, and keep repeating that process until you’ve sketched everything to your liking. Then, the final layer is the “ink layer.” Redraw once again if you want to change the line style (Ex. Chalk, ink, marker) and then add your colors!!

Here’s a few drawings I’ve done, it’s a mix of traditional and digital art! 🐰🖍️🌈✨

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpeg
    IMG_0163.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0171.png
    IMG_0171.png
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0195.png
    IMG_0195.png
    437.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0032.png
    IMG_0032.png