My First sketch - Anyone good at drawing?

PoofyDiapeeBunny said:
Awesome drawing!!! 🖍️🌈✨ I’m definitely not a drawing expert, but I’ve been drawing traditionally ever since I can remember and digitally since 2016 and I’ve learned that the undo button, eraser, layers and photo references are my friends! I like to do a very rough sketch on the first layer, then, lower the opacity of that layer and on the next one on top, draw the same thing again, but add in some more details and fix proportions, and keep repeating that process until you’ve sketched everything to your liking. Then, the final layer is the “ink layer.” Redraw once again if you want to change the line style (Ex. Chalk, ink, marker) and then add your colors!!

Here’s a few drawings I’ve done, it’s a mix of traditional and digital art! 🐰🖍️🌈✨
Wow they look amazing!
The undo button is definitely my friend 😁 What is photo references?
I'm sure this is probably app dependant, but what type brush do you use? Or is it just trial and error to find what works best?

I draw quite a lot. I mainly do traditional but i want to branch into digital. I have an insta where i post my stuff. If you want i can share it with you

CutestPaddedFemboy said:
I draw quite a lot. I mainly do traditional but i want to branch into digital. I have an insta where i post my stuff. If you want i can share it with you
Absolutely, always happy to get some inspiration! Did you draw your avatar/profile pic?

LuckyRed23 said:
Absolutely, always happy to get some inspiration! Did you draw your avatar/profile pic?
I wish

LuckyRed23 said:
Wow they look amazing!
The undo button is definitely my friend 😁 What is photo references?
I'm sure this is probably app dependant, but what type brush do you use? Or is it just trial and error to find what works best?
Aw!! Thank you so much!! 💕

Photo references is just looking at pictures of something you want to draw! For example if you want to draw a fox, try looking for photos of foxes to inspire you and help you understand the proportions and basic shapes that form the fox! It is so helpful to learn to be able to see the basic shapes to break down anything you want to draw! No one can draw perfectly from memory, even if you’re going for a very cartoony style, it’s always best to learn the “rules” of realistic proportions of animals/people/objects before you can break them.

Honestly I change my brush all the time lol it just depends what style I’m going for. If I’m going for a more sketch look, I like to use brushes that look similar to pencils or crayons. If I’m going for a more clean, look I’ll usually use brushes that are solid and don’t have any change in opacity or size, like a pen. I just like to play around with different brushes,sizes, opacity, etc. lol

I use Procreate, it’s my favorite app, I believe it must be purchased? I don’t remember lol I started using it in 2020, it’s been a while. But, when I started digital art, I used a $40 Wacom drawing tablet that connected to my PC and I used a free digital art program called FireAlpaca! I love that program sooo much!!! 💕 I’m not sure what free programs are out there for mobile devices though 🫤

I hope this was at least a little helpful to you!! I wish you luck and hope you have a lot of fun with your art!! 🖍️🖍️🖍️

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BBBen, KBoy and LuckyRed23
Thanks so much! Definitely helpful!
I thought it might be a tool of some kind 😂 I'm definitely already looking at other pictures for guidance on proportions, for example the jaw line in my first attempt.
The app I'm using at the moment seems to be fairly inclusive, if I really get into this then I will probably look at paid apps and a new iPad, just trying it out first before I spend all the money on a new hobby then never touch it again 😁

Reactions: KBoy, BBBen and (deleted member)
LuckyRed23 said:
Thanks so much! Definitely helpful!
I thought it might be a tool of some kind 😂 I'm definitely already looking at other pictures for guidance on proportions, for example the jaw line in my first attempt.
The app I'm using at the moment seems to be fairly inclusive, if I really get into this then I will probably look at paid apps and a new iPad, just trying it out first before I spend all the money on a new hobby then never touch it again 😁
That’s great!! You’re on the right track, you’re drawing looks great!!

Exactly, that’s the way to go lol I went years before buying an iPad to draw with lol There’s no rush, you don’t need to have the biggest, newest thing to be good at art, it really boils down to practice and talent I think 💕

• Love
Reactions: BBBen, KBoy, Cottontail and 2 others
LuckyRed23 said:
Please be kind!
I just found a free iPad sketching app so thought I'd give it a quick go. I've only ever drawn on paper before, and even that I haven't done in a while. My other excuse is I don't have a proper stylus 😁
Does anyone else draw that could provide some advice for beginners?

View attachment 125615
As someone who draws, I am VERY impressed! Drawing muzzles is one of the harder things to do but your sense of dimension is spot on! Nice job!

• Love
Reactions: KBoy, BlueFazeButDL, BBBen and 1 other person
Thank you! I'm hoping to get some more practice in over Christmas! Would love to see your art if you are happy to share?

• Love
LuckyRed23 said:
Thank you! I'm hoping to get some more practice in over Christmas! Would love to see your art if you are happy to share?
One day I will post mine I have been very busy as I am working through Christmas but I will be sure to soon!

• Love
Reactions: KBoy, BBBen and LuckyRed23
GlitterTheMouse said:
One day I will post mine I have been very busy as I am working through Christmas but I will be sure to soon!
Cool, no pressure, it's just cool to see other styles!

• Love
Anybody down for some telegram rp?

cutebunboy said:
Anybody down for some telegram rp?
actually I could probably do that because I am writing a story about a bunny and a mouse so that would be fun to brush up on my skills with that. Dm me the info if you want, and merry Christmas!

LuckyRed23 said:
Cool, no pressure, it's just cool to see other styles!
I’m going to actually do that picture today I think after I clean up my room like a good mouse should

I draw but mainly traditionally. I like that you have put up multiple pictures showing your progress and the improvements are obverous.
My advice would be practice, observation of reference pictures or other artists or photos and exprement. Try different effects, colour, shapes drawing styles etc. Find what works for you. You already have a great start

• Love
Reactions: KBoy and LuckyRed23
PassiveRenegade said:
I draw but mainly traditionally. I like that you have put up multiple pictures showing your progress and the improvements are obverous.
My advice would be practice, observation of reference pictures or other artists or photos and exprement. Try different effects, colour, shapes drawing styles etc. Find what works for you. You already have a great start
Thank you!! Would love to see some of your drawings if you are happy to share?
I will keep practicing, although haven't had a chance so far this week, unfortunately I have the attention span of a Labrador in a squirrel sanctuary so haven't quite got back to it just yet!

Reactions: KBoy and ianwee
LuckyRed23 said:
Thank you!! Would love to see some of your drawings if you are happy to share?
I will keep practicing, although haven't had a chance so far this week, unfortunately I have the attention span of a Labrador in a squirrel sanctuary so haven't quite got back to it just yet!
What a lovely metaphor: " Like a labrador in a squirrel sanctuary" I'll try and remember that one!

ianwee said:
What a lovely metaphor: " Like a labrador in a squirrel sanctuary" I'll try and remember that one!
Technically that's a simile 😜 probably the only thing I remember from GCSE English 😁

20211013_205240.jpgreceived_960080491273006.jpeg20220804_172853.jpg20220804_172901.jpg
Here are a few of my drawings that are site appropriate.

• Love
Reactions: KBoy and LuckyRed23
Wow, those are amazing, you are so talented.
It might just be that I'm tired and emotional, but the eyes have so much emotion, they look so cute and innocent that it's making me well up a bit 😭

• Love
Reactions: KBoy and PassiveRenegade
Back