Medical diapers or ABDL diapers?

diaperedjoshua said:
Such a negative view about needing diapers in the USA. Like anyone wearing a diaper is deffective somehow. So the big companies try to make them like underwear as much as possible
That's called "fear". The Muggles are a curious flock: driven by fear...even they have to mask it. Just like we auties (dunno if you're an autie or not...I am) have to mask up to get our own needs met.

Reactions: BabylinoAddict, LittleRugrat45 and CutestPaddedFemboy
SpAzpieSweeTot said:
Good luck getting the state to pay for it, though. […]. Northshore exists, because incontinent people became aware of better products, and guess who had them.

Northshore, and XP Medical, are IC people's answers to, "Wait, there's better? Yep. There's better. How come the weirdos get better, and we don't?"

Actually the reverse is true.

XP Medical came into existence because I went to study in Sweden for a year and had an opportunity to try Abena and Tena. These products were literally 10x better than the Attends I was using at the time. These were not DL products since they were, with few exceptions, available only through the medical system.

When I came home, I started XP as a way to offer Abena to other incon people in the US. This was in 2003 when the internet was still young and online shopping was new. For context, consider that XP medical is older than both Facebook and YouTube. I honestly had no idea that DL or AB existed I don’t think there were any high absorbency AB/DL products on the market back then.

So really, XP Medical, was IC people's answer to, "Wait, there's better? Yep. There's better. How come the Europeans get better, and we don't?"

Once the European products gained traction here, it was a natural extension to create AB/DL variants, and a plethora of brands came to market catering to that category. We never did chase that market, although i know we had plenty of ABDL customers, especially after we picked up Dry 24/7.

Incidentally, we did have the VA and a couple of other regional health agencies buying Abena X-plus from us, so those products were paid for by govt healthcare in the US for those who could demonstrate a medical need for that level of absorbency.

-Gary

Last edited:
Reactions: Eclectic, jdinvirginia, Constantlydamp and 1 other person
I wear both. The medical are my go to for daytime when I have a little more control and can usually change easily after I wet. Night, Its ABDL. Usually, the stars and stripes or the Canibis print from Forsite. I need these because I'm a heavy wetter at night, I don't wake up only for my alarm (oh how I'd like to throw that thing into traffic! lol) so, the print doesn't really matter too much, That said, there are others I'd try if there was an option for plain colors or a more adult themed print. (I do like the baby prints, but a non ABDL spouse would laugh at me so I stick to the basics. Toddler time is when I'm alone and I draw on my diapers and use stickers 🤫)

BobbiSueEllen said:
That's called "fear". The Muggles are a curious flock: driven by fear...even they have to mask it. Just like we auties (dunno if you're an autie or not...I am) have to mask up to get our own needs met.
People fear what they do not understand. I really wish the word "Normal" didn't exist as used in reference to people. There is no such thing as "normal" when it comes down to the human brain, our wants, needs, desires, how we identify, how we live? If I tell someone that I'm a Neurodivergant Bi ABDL who's genetically a male but likes to switch roles from time to time, The only response should be oh, Thats cool. or if they aren't on board?? O really. Thats interesting, It's not for me but hey, You do you and lets go have a beer. Looking at someone and shaming them because of who they are or how they dress, live, Identify... I thought we as a society were beyond that but, sadly we aren't there yet. Hole all my wonderful ADISC friends are having the most awesome day! Be safe out there, and take care! ❤️

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
LittleRugrat45 said:
People fear what they do not understand. I really wish the word "Normal" didn't exist as used in reference to people. There is no such thing as "normal" when it comes down to the human brain, our wants, needs, desires, how we identify, how we live? If I tell someone that I'm a Neurodivergant Bi ABDL who's genetically a male but likes to switch roles from time to time, The only response should be oh, Thats cool. or if they aren't on board?? O really. Thats interesting, It's not for me but hey, You do you and lets go have a beer. Looking at someone and shaming them because of who they are or how they dress, live, Identify... I thought we as a society were beyond that but, sadly we aren't there yet. Hole all my wonderful ADISC friends are having the most awesome day! Be safe out there, and take care! ❤️
Good Lord!!! I really gotta start reading what I type before I click send or Post!!! I meant to say I HOPE... not Hole! 😬

Gary, for years I was one of your many very happy customers. Thank you for all you did for the IC community.

--John

Reactions: geka, Constantlydamp and BobbiSueEllen
I prefer medical diapers over AB. The AB give me the creeps

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen, Constantlydamp and BabylinoAddict
woolyDL said:
I prefer medical diapers over AB. The AB give me the creeps
Personal Care, Mega Disposables and Linette are among the few major private companies making medical disposables with ABDL absorbency capacity rate.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Constantlydamp
IWannawear said:
What brand and model?? If you found a good one, please share
Here you go!

1708880730089.png

tomcat said:
I am urinary incontinent and in Australia, the only medical diapers/nappies are Cloth backed which irritates my skin hence I get Bambino Ultra stretch white or Magnifico (due to supply) as they are comfortable have the capacity as well as plastic backed with velco incase I dont get the tapes correct the first time.

So unfortunately only able to get non medical nappies in my country which the government pays for
Wait so aus pays for bambino diapers?! Ied prefer a better quality diaper all white like bambino or abu simple which is also all white just for 1 absorbancy and 2 the landing zone and strong tapes .

Bearcatz said:
There's maybe a case to make for single tape diapers which tend to only be ABDL (Sounds like rearz is 86'ing the "select") I tend to find them less restrictive for the plumbing. You know, if something comes up, seems less likely you'd get woken up with from a kink in the line.

I've personally almost never had an unboosted Abena I tape a bit looser for overnight leak anyway.
Hey I’m a plumber too. I’m uic myself i use ABDL nappies and I think odour control is much better with ABDL Nappies

RedStripeLvr said:
As a heavy wetter, I usually use MegaMax while out and about, at work, and for long trips. They seem to work the best for me when up and about, moving around, etc. At night, however, I've found that Crinklz/Better Dry work equally as well, if not better, and for almost half the price of NS MM.

Not sure where people are buying their diapers and comparing prices, but a case of MM with shipping to Ohio figures out to around $3.42 USD per diaper and Crinklz/BD comes out to approx $1.82 per from LL Medico. I've also found that many of the options from Rearz are significantly cheaper than the MM and perform very. I've tried plastic backed Abenas on several occasions and they just don't work for me, plus are more expensive than BD.

I used to be a white diaper purist, but at this point I'm more concerned with the right combination of performance and cost than whether there are (as my wife and I like to say) duckies and bunnies on them.
Totally agree I’m not bothered what’s on the outside as long as I can work no leaks I’m happy

InconLifer said:
I think it possibly comes down to location and availability as well, that's a key factor for me. When my issues worsened I found that the standard readily available UK brands weren't absorbent enough for me anymore (the cloth backed ones in particular) and so went in search of more sturdy protection. NRU/Nappies R Us are the main supplier here and MegaMax are insanely expensive and often out of stock. Also, stock availability can be an issue and so you can't be guaranteed to get printless high absorbency nappies as products like the InControl are often out of stock.

Things have improved though and I think the brands have wised up. I'm really happy that Tykables have done a plain white one (I found the camo one nice and neutral as well) and indeed with the own brand NRU Str8ups plain products are more readily available.

There are still big gaps in the market though - cloth backed high absorbency products (a real must in the summer for me) seem to only be made by ABDL brands and two tape products (which mean I stand a chance of being able to change myself as my neuro issues make four tab tapes more fiddly) seem to be non-existent when it comes to regular brands.

Stock availability is a constant anxiety though. I always keep a stock of plain nappies for those times I have medical appointments or I know there will be a bag check and use the printed products the rest of the time as I wouldn't want to run them down and then find they're all out of stock. My parents don't bat an eyelid about it as they know how important it is I don't leak when I'm using my wheelchair and having products that don't leak lessens the amount of laundry.

Ultimately, I think it's more a case that (in the UK at least) non-ABDL products aren't as good and so if you have severe issues and want the peace of mind of being adequately protected then you have to explore the ABDL sphere to an extent. I think it's another example of how being more disabled means more costs as you end up having to buy more expensive products. I've started some medication for my neuro issues and have the odd better day around the house now and so I have trialled going back to DryNites during the day and that has cut costs a bit but it's a mixed bag and my continence is still hugely changeable so when out and about maximum protection is a must. Also, weirdly whilst the medication gives me some better days during the day, it's worsened my night-time issues so I end up getting through more as I can't wear my night time protection during breakfast anymore as I'm more soaked when I wake up.
Totally agree I’m in the uk I became Uic 6 months ago and I get where you’re going from the uk market is poor why can’t we have plain block colours or adult prints frustrating but like my wife said it’s just us that sees them .

BobbiSueEllen said:
The Muggles are a curious flock: driven by fear
1709914372381.png

moorey said:
Totally agree I’m in the uk I became Uic 6 months ago and I get where you’re going from the uk market is poor why can’t we have plain block colours or adult prints frustrating but like my wife said it’s just us that sees them .
In the UK the NHS supplies a lot of us incontinent folks so the market for those people buying for themselves is significantly smaller than it would be. The nappies supplied by the NHS (Tena Ultima in my case) are generally reasonable quality and although different areas get supplied by different companies the market for high absorbency nappies for self purchase is small.

I am British but I have never had the NHS give me nappies. Even when I had a prostatectomy I heard nothing from them, I have always self funded. I have been inco for a very long time and started making my own terry nappies as they were cheaper to make as well as lasting several years. I have over twenty and replace eight/ten every year. The same with the Suprima plastic pants (1312). Very discrete under a pair of shorts or dungarees. Yes they have to be changed more frequently but I still save money and very comfortable.
I do wear Abena pull-ups but find they squash the ‘boy bits’ and are not comfortable after a few hours. Night time is either a terry nappy with extra soaker or a disposable. I do like the more childish nappies. As I have posted before, the white ones imply that I have a medical problem and my poor old body is failing, but the ABDL ones mean that I just have a silly childish problem which might go away, or might not of course.

Reactions: InconLifer and moorey
I wear both. Abena M4 at work and MegaMax at night. Rearz, ABU or LFB on weekends. I appreciate the discreteness and lower cost of medical diapers and the fun prints and thickness of ABDL diapers. Both have their place.

Reactions: BabyAshtonMarie81, InconLifer, Teddy02 and 2 others
Since i wear 24/7 by choice. My normal daily diaper is the northshore Megamax diapers. I also wear abena, rearz, crinklz, bambino and ABU diapers. I've used basically every brand of diaper there is. But the northshore Megamax diapers are the best. Even more so with large or XL booster pads.

Last edited:
Teddy02 said:
I am British but I have never had the NHS give me nappies. Even when I had a prostatectomy I heard nothing from them, I have always self funded. I have been inco for a very long time and started making my own terry nappies as they were cheaper to make as well as lasting several years. I have over twenty and replace eight/ten every year. The same with the Suprima plastic pants (1312). Very discrete under a pair of shorts or dungarees. Yes they have to be changed more frequently but I still save money and very comfortable.
I do wear Abena pull-ups but find they squash the ‘boy bits’ and are not comfortable after a few hours. Night time is either a terry nappy with extra soaker or a disposable. I do like the more childish nappies. As I have posted before, the white ones imply that I have a medical problem and my poor old body is failing, but the ABDL ones mean that I just have a silly childish problem which might go away, or might not of course.
To get nappies or pads and slips as they call them you have to get your self refered to the continence advisor. She had me gill in a chart and two appointments later via the NHS supply chain I started to receive tena comfort extra pads and net fixing pants and later as my incontinence worsened they supplied me tena maxi slips for night time use. If you don't ask you don't get them. The urologist nor the doctor mentioned this. I had to ask.

Reactions: Constantlydamp, moorey and BobbiSueEllen
Wetshisbed said:
To get nappies or pads and slips as they call them you have to get your self refered to the continence advisor. She had me gill in a chart and two appointments later via the NHS supply chain I started to receive tena comfort extra pads and net fixing pants and later as my incontinence worsened they supplied me tena maxi slips for night time use. If you don't ask you don't get them. The urologist nor the doctor mentioned this. I had to ask.
The Continence Advisory Service are the unsung heroes of the National Health Service and once referred they offer a brilliant service. I just wish more GPs and Urology staff would refer patients to them.

Back