"Littles" with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome

I just saw 'Luca' and absolutely loved it. It's an incredibly happy, fun, cheerful, innocent, cute/adorable, heartwarming story about two 12/13 year old boys named Luca and Alberto who look human on land, but are secretly sea-monsters when wet. I highly recommend it. It has everything, visuals, compelling characters, allegory, themes, symbolism, imagery. 10 out of 10.

The allegory to being gay/queer is quite strong. Their relationship can clearly be read as their having a crush on each other, themes of found family are present, Luca and Alberto plan to run away together and see the world, they hug/hold hands/look at the sunset together, they both try to avoid being outed as sea-monsters to the townfolk who are prejudiced against sea-monsters.

But it can be read generally as an allegory for any group that is 'different' and feared/hated by mainstream society. This includes both people in the ABDL community and people on the autism spectrum. For the first part of the movie, Luca has to hide his hobby of going onto land from his parents. Then, after being caught, Luca and Alberto try to live in the human world and both spend much of the movie trying to pass as human, even though they don't really understand the all the social norms of humans (money, eating with forks, language), which is certainly something many people with Autism have had to deal with. Initially, Luca is scared to go onto land because the world of humans seems dangerous to a sea-person like him, but he's also curious about it because it seems wondrous and full of adventure. They find they can do a pretty good job at passing, but it none the less requires them to be constantly hiding their authentic selves and worrying about being outed if they make a mistake and slip up. They find people who accept them for who they are, including a girl named Julia, who also has some traits that can be read as autistic (she's very enthusiastic to the point of excess, she has a tendency to monologue, she self describes herself as weird and not belonging, she's into outer space etc).

Reactions: Lyokodl and TommyTheDiaperDuck
Pawner said:
Austim for me as I got older it was hard to cope with and realize what austim was, I always thought I was normal like everyone else and had no disabilitys. But as I aged I have come to realize that austim feels more like a gift a gift I can use in day to day life. I am not scared at socializing cause I talk alot most days, lol. And when 2020 came around and covid hit it was really hard for Me to adjust and get used to being isolated was something I did not want to do, I wanted to see my friends in real life not on a computer screen, it just did not feel right at the time.

(Going to fast forward to 2021)

As I had my last few days of high school left it was hard for me to grow up, because most days I still don't act my age. I am getting better and better but it's still a process. Anyways after I graduated high school I have grown more and more as a person who does not want my austim mentioned, I just want to forget I have it, and just remember that I am not no different nor Do I think I am normal. As I thought that was overrated.

(Sorry it was a bit long, hope it all made sense)
I know how that feels. I took learning that I had autism very badly, I was angry, self-conscious, bitter etc. Then I came to view it as a great strength, something that saved me from many of the problems neurotypical people suffer from.

I also went through a phase in which I didn't want my autism to be mentioned and forget that I have it. But I ultimately came to the view that taking pride in this very clear dimension of myself, and being open about it, not only made me feel better but helped normalize it in the eyes of those around me.

diaprsoakr1999 said:
I know how that feels. I took learning that I had autism very badly, I was angry, self-conscious, bitter etc. Then I came to view it as a great strength, something that saved me from many of the problems neurotypical people suffer from.

I also went through a phase in which I didn't want my autism to be mentioned and forget that I have it. But I ultimately came to the view that taking pride in this very clear dimension of myself, and being open about it, not only made me feel better but helped normalize it in the eyes of those around me.
I have told people on my own will, never liked my mom saying "my son he has austim" and then I have to say "mom you know I hate it when you tell people I have austim not alot of people are going to care" there's more to austim. I try not to leave any details out when I tell people.

Reactions: Lyokodl
Pawner said:
As I had my last few days of high school left it was hard for me to grow up, because most days I still don't act my age. I am getting better and better but it's still a process.

I have kind of the same thing and its kind of hard to do anything about it. Its part of who you are as a person.

Reactions: Lyokodl
1003210828.jpg
1003210828a.jpg
1003210829.jpg
Yes!
Here is where I store my adult diapers and disposable bed pads.
Tomorrow I am expecting a delivery from AMAZON of a 12-count package of REARZ, Inc. "BARNYARD" XL size adult dydees and a pair of medical thickly padded thumbless protective mittens.

*waves* Hi hi. I have Aspergers along with other different diagnoses. ADHD, bipolar disorder, ODD, PDD, a learning disability. And I swear that I have mild OCD at times. I never learned about having Aspergers until taking part in a bipolar study thing. Though one of my councilors and possibly psychiatrist thought I had it.

Hello there and warm welcome to the group/thread

It makes me feel strange being here today.

I had a therapy appointment. For so long, I thought that maybe I was just crazy or something.

Had a therapist link some of the emotional dysregulation issues with my autism. She said maybe it's a lot harder for me to regulate my emotions if I have more trouble recognizing them. Its true really. I have a lot of trouble labeling what I feel unless it's boiling up to the point where I basically can't ignore it and I just feel like it's going to completely consume me.

For so many years, I just had therapists keep trying to manage all the outside portions of what was wrong. Essentially, all the self destructive behaviors that I'd been cycling through for years. Problem with that is that all I did was figure out a new self destructive behavior to self medicate with.

I dunno. I feel almost relieved to know that there's a reason? Idk. That maybe I'm not actually insane. I do feel like I am insane sometimes.

Wish I'd gotten some help with managing these kinds of emotions sooner. It would have saved me a lot of grief to be able to really feel like I understand what I'm feeling. But I guess i'm relieved.

Reactions: ThePaddedTurtle
Janiseguchi said:
*waves* Hi hi. I have Aspergers along with other different diagnoses. ADHD, bipolar disorder, ODD, PDD, a learning disability. And I swear that I have mild OCD at times. I never learned about having Aspergers until taking part in a bipolar study thing. Though one of my councilors and possibly psychiatrist thought I had it.
Welcome to the Autistics Corner of ADISC!
Besides being Autistic, I also have Cerebral Palsy and Unipolar Depression (in remission).

siysiy said:
Ok I'm not autistic and I don't have Aspergers.

But my little does.

So Rawr
Mine does to. Do you have any suggestions for me helping my little balance it? Any suggestions at all would be great. Thank you!

Milianna said:

I had a therapy appointment. For so long, I thought that maybe I was just crazy or something.

Had a therapist link some of the emotional dysregulation issues with my autism. She said maybe it's a lot harder for me to regulate my emotions if I have more trouble recognizing them. Its true really. I have a lot of trouble labeling what I feel unless it's boiling up to the point where I basically can't ignore it and I just feel like it's going to completely consume me.

For so many years, I just had therapists keep trying to manage all the outside portions of what was wrong. Essentially, all the self destructive behaviors that I'd been cycling through for years. Problem with that is that all I did was figure out a new self destructive behavior to self medicate with.

I dunno. I feel almost relieved to know that there's a reason? Idk. That maybe I'm not actually insane. I do feel like I am insane sometimes.

Wish I'd gotten some help with managing these kinds of emotions sooner. It would have saved me a lot of grief to be able to really feel like I understand what I'm feeling. But I guess i'm relieved.
I myself have issues with emotional dysregulation.
Also, naming emotions when I feel them.

Hello, I'm a mommy to a little who has autism and bipolar. I was wondering if any of you could give me an inside perspective if you're in the same boat he is. Anything that you feel helped your autistic side by doing baby stuff or vice versa?

Reactions: Deleted member 44276 and abdl86
Disneymommy21 said:
Hello, I'm a mommy to a little who has autism and bipolar. I was wondering if any of you could give me an inside perspective if you're in the same boat he is. Anything that you feel helped your autistic side by doing baby stuff or vice versa?
Have you talk whit him about what he want or how thing should be?

Reactions: Deleted member 44276
I have ASD. I have had it when I was a kid.

WIN_20211004_18_53_10_Pro.jpg
Nothing makes one feel pretty baby-like and helpless, like these "medical" thickly padded thumbless protective restraint mittens.
Since yesterday I have worn these all through the night last night, and for hours yesterday and today.

Hello everyone my name is Ryan and I’m new to the ABDL community. I have Asperger’s and I’m an ABDL. I was diagnosed when I was 13 and proud of it ever since

Disneymommy21 said:

Hello and warm welcome the Thread

The best advice i can give you is actually ask you're Little what it is in the Little life that he is drawn to. & the simple reason that i say this is that as with all NP diagnosis same goes for Littles etc... Its highly individual.

Its not at all uncommon for us in the spectrum to also be Littles actually but of course not all with ASD (new name for Autism) become Littles or are drawn to this life.

One reason that some of us with ASD is drawn to this life is as i have understood this both from my own as well as other Autistic Littles i had had the honer of talking to is that in this life we are free from all the adult life's problems and having to take desitions all the time and try to get our life to work. In other words in Little mode we are free to let go of all that and just focus on well us & go back to a happy care free childhood with no problems or worries from the adult life . And fore those fortunate to have a carer / nanny / Mommy that are willing to take on this role they can feel that someone is taking care of them so they can feel safe and taken care off. As for the DL part for some getting to wear diapers is sort of a " safety blankett " & serve as shush.

If you look at Little life its bacikly built around how safe and care free life was back then (for those fortunate to have happy childhoods ) & for those that sadly didn't this might be a way to get to live that happy part of childhood that they were deprived of as kids.

Reactions: KittyninjaW, Disneymommy21 and abdl86
KittyninjaW said:
I have ASD. I have had it when I was a kid.

Warm welcome to the thread

BabyRyRy said:
Hello everyone my name is Ryan and I’m new to the ABDL community. I have Asperger’s and I’m an ABDL. I was diagnosed when I was 13 and proud of it ever since

Hello and warm welcome to the thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KittyninjaW and Deleted member 58759
Milianna said:

I do hope you feel as welcome in here as you should be Millianna.

For many of us getting to learn about our selves and learn how to adapt to it all takes a long time sadly & like you i finally got more of the who am i and why am i like this puzzle pieces just a few years ago when i finally read thru my medical journals & in there i discovered i had this and all other of my gazillion NP diagnosis all my life without actually being aware of them all. & also read up on all of them so i could better understand how they work and how i can as best i can adapt to them in life.

Good luck in you're future journey to understand you're self and why you are as you are.

Missy1 said:
Warm welcome to the thread

Hello and warm welcome to the thread
Thank you 😎

Back