Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Carer
Morning yall!

I have a quick question for those that use cloth diapers at night. As some of my previous posts indicate I have mostly transitioned to using cloth diapers at night. As such, I invested in quite a few PUL pants, mostly the Leakmaster brand. Additionally, I switched to some snap on contour diaper from Rearz with a booster. It’s easier to put on at night and I like the convenience. Unfortunately I have been having problems with leaks ever since.

About once a week I will wake up with my sheets feeling a little damp. When I check myself I will notice that the left or right side of my PUL pants are wet. After this happened a few times I have realized that it’s likely the sewn seam in the side of the pant that is wicking moisture to the outside cloth. I haven’t figured out a way to remedy this yet and am wondering if anyone else has a similar problem with their PUL pants and if they have a way to fix it. I don’t mind switching to strictly plastic but I spent a lot on these covers and would like to use them.

Thanks guys and I look forward to your suggestions.

Reactions: TigerDL
I had similar problems wearing PUL panties over my cloth diapers in bed. PULs are very comfortable but at least my experience has been they don't fit tight enough in the legs and leaks happen. I wear 7mill high back plastic pants which seem to fit tighter around the legs and with the higher rise in the waist and and back, I seldom have leaks at night.

Reactions: Traveller, littledub1955 and nightfox320
Lyric said:
I had similar problems wearing PUL panties over my cloth diapers in bed. PULs are very comfortable but at least my experience has been they don't fit tight enough in the legs and leaks happen. I wear 7mill high back plastic pants which seem to fit tighter around the legs and with the higher rise in the waist and and back, I seldom have leaks at night.
So maybe it’s leaking around around the legs then? Tbh never been able to really tell as I’m always asleep when it happens lol. I just know I wake up with the cloth outer of my PUL pants damp and cold.

I have had similar issues and I just assumed that the enhanced breathabililty of PUL sometimes creates a situation where it wicks excess moisture if your diaper is really saturated.

For me, the PUL pants don't come high enough so the rear side of my diaper was often sticking out of the PUL pants and I'd leak. I love the Leakmaster high top plastic pants as they look and feel like the old Gerber plastic pants but they also cover the entire diaper. I've recently been wearing Leakmaster snap plastic pants but those don't come high enough either.

Reactions: Lyric and nightfox320
Don't you find the leakmaster high tops really hot?

PUL (Poly Urethane Laminate) plastic pants, if I understand them correctly, are laminated plastic and a cloth outer cover. They're really comfortable and they are also BREATHABLE. Because they are breathable, PUL plastic pants WILL leak. I wear them during the day, but not at night for this reason. At night I wear Leakmaster Deluxe high-backed vinyl pants.

Because I wear them over Northshore MegaMax plastic - backed diapers, my PUL plastic pants serve primarily as a way of keeping my diapers snug and offering temporary protection in the rare event that my diaper leaks. The PUL pants hold back moisture long enough to allow me to change. And, when they do leak, they leak more slowly, through the fabric itself rather than through a leg opening or seam.

Yesterday, I took an unplanned nap in my recliner. I was wearing only a diaper, PUL plastic pants, and a tee shirt. I realized, when I woke up, that I was very wet. As I changed my diaper, I saw that the diaper had been "sweating," or allowing moisture to seep through the plastic cover. That almost never happens to me, but yesterday was an unusual day. I noticed a wet spot on the PUL pants. There was no wet spot on the chair.

What you describe is exactly why I don’t wear PUL pants over my cloth diaper at night. Similar to disposables with a cloth-like outer cover, they will weep moisture through the tiny “breathable” holes in the fabric.

I have worn Dependeco PUL covers over cloth diapers in the day for many years. Same thing happens here but you can notice it when you do a diaper check and change before your diaper is soaked.

Leakmaster is a rebranded Gary pant, which come in many varieties. The best one for preventing leaks at night is the vinyl no-wick pant with enclosed leg and waist gathers. They make a high waisted version of that pant that Changing Times sells.

Reactions: dogboy, Lyric, nightfox320 and 1 other person
I absolutely hate PUL pants. Mine always got really dirty, but mostly that they will simply leak. I wear nylon taffeta, peva, or vinyl pants and don't have issues. I only notice warmth when its really hot ootside, otherwise I welcome the extra warmth.

Reactions: nightfox320
dogboy said:
For me, the PUL pants don't come high enough so the rear side of my diaper was often sticking out of the PUL pants and I'd leak. I love the Leakmaster high top plastic pants as they look and feel like the old Gerber plastic pants but they also cover the entire diaper. I've recently been wearing Leakmaster snap plastic pants but those don't come high enough either.
I have looked at those and am very interested as my PUL pants down fit over my prefolds well. How durable have they been for you?

I appreciate all the replies. It looks like maybe I need to switch to plastic instead of PUL. I will not that I did receive and email from ecoable yesterday on a similar topic as I emailed them searching for other options. They said that another issues I may be having with my PUL pants is that I don’t have enough absorbency in my current system. That basically, the diapers are too saturated and that’s what’s causing the leaks via the seams and breathable material. I doubled up my contours last and that seemed to help a little. Hopefully I can figure out a good system before November. Not sure wife would appreciate wet sheets 😝

iampadded said:
Don't you find the leakmaster high tops really hot?
They can be. Fortunately I have central air so I can control the indoor temperature but if I was wearing them outside in the summer, they would be hot.

By the way PUL pants are much easier to care for. They wash in a machine and can be dried in a dryer on low heat.

Reactions: TigerDL and nightfox320
Back