is it bad to drink too much water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well thanks for your answers. it looks like i'll be just fine

1 gallon(3.7 liters) of water is what your suppose to have in a day(3 glasses of water per hour[24oz]. Now if you want to push it to 3 gallons(11.3 liters)a day and then you might as well start digging your own grave from being water poisoned.

Just don't forget after drinking 3 glasses(24oz) that you drink one 8oz bottle of Gatorade or something alike to replace the salt you lost in your system. The salt helps give your body the ability to connect everything via electricy so you function like normal.

Binary said:

Though I'm no water scientist, but I'm pretty sure too much water causes the brain to swell.
Yes, but it's not because water is going to your brain. What happens is that too much water consumption decreases the sodium content (hyponatrimia) and other electrolytes, this causes the brain cells to give up their water which inturn causes too much water in the skull increasing the pressure, causing other problems.

This is why athletes don't just drink water. The whole premise of gatorade and many other sports drinks is to replenish not just the water, but also the sweated out electrolytes.

If you're in a diaper all day every day it's good to stay well hydrated. It helps prevent diaper rash and odor.

w0lfpack91 said:
Get tea it's a diuretic it will make you piss more. I'm from Southern USA I drink a lot of sweet tea and when I do I can fill an ABU Space in a few hours.
im brattish so I know about this

"Your kidneys can eliminate about 5.3–7.4 gallons (20–28 liters) of water a day, but they can't get rid of more than 27–33 ounces (0.8–1.0 liters) per hour (14, 15). Therefore, in order to avoid hyponatremia symptoms, you should not drink more than 27–33 ounces (0.8–1.0 liters) of water per hour, on average"

MommyandMattling said:
"Your kidneys can eliminate about 5.3–7.4 gallons (20–28 liters) of water a day, but they can't get rid of more than 27–33 ounces (0.8–1.0 liters) per hour (14, 15). Therefore, in order to avoid hyponatremia symptoms, you should not drink more than 27–33 ounces (0.8–1.0 liters) of water per hour, on average"
What about sweating? I have drank about 3 quarts in under 5 minutes several times while living in Florida. It took that much to quench my thirst and start sweating normally again. In Texas, I regularly drank a liter per hour and sometimes more without an issue. It took that much just to stay hydrated. At another job location, I drank the recommended 1.5 liters per hour and only had to piss once in the middle of a 12 hour shift. In all of these instances, my kidneys saw less than half the amount consumed. The electrolytes missing were all over my shirt.

The body is able to hold excess water for a while until either the kidneys or sweat glands use the water. For my body (200+ pounds), a liter in under 5 minutes is routine. Two liters in under 30 minutes means I was thirsty. Three liters in under an hour means I messed up earlier...

Yes, the kidneys can only process water so fast. The same is true of the stomach and intestines. However, about 60% of my body weight is water, so 120 pounds, 15 gallons, or 60 quarts is water. An extra liter in an hour just means an extra toilet break for me. The body does not care much about being a quart over or under; it is a gallon either way that starts to matter. Six gallons in an hour would be a lot and likely cause medical issues such as water intoxication and/or death. That is how people die of too much water. 1-3 liters in an hour is fine assuming proper electrolytes are present.

OK, first things first you want to know what is in your water. Here in the US municipal water sources are required to report biological and chemical levels. You don't get that with bottled water which tend to to eaither be very biologically heavy or very heavy metal laden. Those concerns aside it is possible to overhydrate which is called hyponotremia. This can be prevented by ensuring salt and potassium (electolytes) are at a proper level. To be fair you would have to be extremely electolyte deficient and drinking a ton of water, this is why it is common in extreme fitness competitions like the Ironman competition. If you are really worried about it eat something or have some juice.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back