Diapers you wore as a baby?

Lori said:
Not me, but my sister had these in about 2006 or so.
Superfit_Maxi_26%20a.jpg

Tesco Super Fit nappies. One thing I remember about them is they were really bad at hiding the smells of their content. In other words, if my sister had a dirty one, you could smell it rooms away
Cute!

Reactions: Edgewater and Lori
Would be cloth nappies and rubber pants for me. I have seen some photo's of me in the early 50's wearing them.

Reactions: Edgewater
Pampers ultra: they came in the orange cardboard box in 1985.

• Love
Reactions: Bbjames and Deleted member 56273
babybobby said:
Pampers ultra: they came in the orange cardboard box in 1985.
s-l1600.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Bbjames, babybobby and Aquabtm
Cavvet8993 said:
In my personal opinion they ruined diapers when they went away from plastic backed diapers and to cloth like diapers
Plastic-backed diapers were still a semi regular thing until about the early 2010s. In the early 2000s onwards, however, it was generally only budget brands that did it, therefore I think they became almost a mark of poverty.

Way back, I was wearing cloth diapers and rubber pants.

Reactions: chuck and Angelapinks
Lori said:
Plastic-backed diapers were still a semi regular thing until about the early 2010s. In the early 2000s onwards, however, it was generally only budget brands that did it, therefore I think they became almost a mark of poverty.
My 2 oldest daughters wore plastic backed pampers and my youngest daughter started out wearing them and started wearing luvs when she was about 2 years old. The luvs were ok but the plastic backed pampers were actually better for overnight use.

• Love
Reactions: Bbjames, Angelapinks, Aquabtm and 1 other person
Cavvet8993 said:
My 2 oldest daughters wore plastic backed pampers and my youngest daughter started out wearing them and started wearing luvs when she was about 2 years old. The luvs were ok but the plastic backed pampers were actually better for overnight use.
Many P&G babies from the 1980s and 1990s who had grown up with Pampers and Luvs switched to Attends soon after.

• Love
Reactions: Bbjames
Lori said:
Only a very few companies such as Cyprus-based Linette did plastic-backed baby disposables until 2003. Afterwards they followed the suit requiring the use of woven nylon fabric and velcros.

Cavvet8993 said:
The last pampers I wore were for kids up to 44 pounds
They came in a green cardbox.

ee82764aba8b35bde02d0727e0f0644a.jpg

• Love
BabyTweetyBird said:
They came in a green cardbox.

View attachment 108641
Thank you, I tried to find this one!
I remember clearly these ones. I was able to wear them until I was 18 yo! Well using duct tape at the end...

• Love
BabyTweetyBird said:
Only a very few companies such as Cyprus-based Linette did plastic-backed baby disposables until 2003. Afterwards they followed the suit requiring the use of woven nylon fabric and velcros.
In the UK, the lower end of value ranges of nappies were generally plastic-backed in at least the late 2000s or so. My sister had some like that called Tesco Value I think. I would love to find a picture, but a Google search only gives me a few Mumsnet (a parenting forum, very middle-class) posts describing the nappies, some calling them 'manky' for their plastic-backing.

In the USA, Huggies kicked off the trend by shaking off the plastic about 1996 or so, the last major brand to do plastic backing was about 2001. These Luvs are from 2000:
Two-2-Rare-Vintage-2001-Luvs-Barney-Print.webp

I don't like baby diapers that much, but I don't mind those.

• Love
Reactions: Jack01, Bbjames, PrincessNozomi and 1 other person
Lori said:
In the UK, the lower end of value ranges of nappies were generally plastic-backed in at least the late 2000s or so. My sister had some like that called Tesco Value I think. I would love to find a picture, but a Google search only gives me a few Mumsnet (a parenting forum, very middle-class) posts describing the nappies, some calling them 'manky' for their plastic-backing.

In the USA, Huggies kicked off the trend by shaking off the plastic about 1996 or so, the last major brand to do plastic backing was about 2001. These Luvs are from 2000:
Two-2-Rare-Vintage-2001-Luvs-Barney-Print.webp

I don't like baby diapers that much, but I don't mind those.
Yup I remember wearing those when I was little.

• Love
Reactions: Bbjames, Edgewater, Lori and 1 other person
PrincessNozomi said:
Yup I remember wearing those when I was little.
The Pampers that I wore in the late 1970s and (at least) early 1980s were pretty much like that (but minus any pictures). Also, back then they were just paper and plastic (no super absorbent polymers yet) so when they were wet I knew it right away.

Today’s adult products (even the XL Depend Night Defense for Men) are much drier when they are used (at least until they are completely saturated and on the verge of leaking). This is because (rather surprisingly) even this product has a fluid repelling top sheet and SAP (or something very similar) under that.

As a result, it is only possible to fairly accurately duplicate the Pampers of that period with tall kitchen garbage bags (to improvise some plastic pants (the cheaper store-brand ones seem more authentic for my purposes (in terms of both texture and durability))) and either paper towels or folded bath towels (if I don’t have enough paper towels on hand).

BabyTweetyBird said:
That is a shame really. I guarantee if there were still plastic backed baby diapers people would still buy them.

Reactions: Edgewater, Deleted member 56273, Angelapinks and 1 other person
Ellyn said:
Yes. Birth defects and MS.
Oh I’m sorry Ellyn…I know how difficult dealing with MS can be. I know a couple of women in my life that have it as well. What they told me (and from what information I have gathered and literally seen) is that there are many different levels of MS. From mild to severe with many different symptoms. Is this true from your experience?

Reactions: Angelapinks and Edgewater
BabyTweetyBird said:
Many P&G babies from the 1980s and 1990s who had grown up with Pampers and Luvs switched to Attends soon after.
Shit! I didn’t realize that P&G made Attends! Where have I been?!? 😂 ….it makes sense I think…the soft plastic of Attends is so similar to the softest Luvs diapers at the time. It is one of my fav plastic backings of any diapers ever!!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Angelapinks, Deleted member 56273 and Edgewater
Bbjames said:
I didn’t realize that P&G made Attends!
@BobbiSueEllen and I picked our very first bag of Attends in 1988 and 1987 respectively. Mine had an adorable and cute baby blue plastic backing which was arousingly crinkly and surprisingly gentle to the skin.

Reactions: Bbjames, Angelapinks and BobbiSueEllen
Osthagen said:
I’m simply interested. What type of nappies did you wear as a child?

It was Pampers all the way in my case. I remember being changed a few times, and seeing boxes of Pampers around regularly when I was a young kid. Plus, my younger siblings wore Pampers too.
Big cloth terry nappies with painted blue safety pins and lots and lots of baby powder and zinc cream .

Reactions: wowser81
Back