Diapering yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Booster pad might help as well.

The first 3 times I tried to put on a dipey I somehow ended up putting it on backwards, but luckily I had momma (Ryan) to come visit me to teach me how to do it right. Momma taught me to when avalible to lay on my back with my legs open, sit my rump on the middle of the dipey and lay back, pull the front of dipey up over my belly (I am overweight a little), the use the bottom tape to close up the legs holes, and then use the upper tapes to close up the top half of my dipey.

When standing as it was said in an earlier post, I put my back to a wall and hold the dipey on me with my rump, bend over and pull the front up and tape either the right or left top and bottom tapes and then the remaining bottom or top tapes.

Alright, thanks for all the tips and reassurances. I'll let you guys know if I've improved my taping ability at all after next time(hopefully about a week or so, depending on how much trash I generate).

It took me a few goes to start getting it right and even now I mess it up sometimes! Don't rush if you can help it and I personally believe that led down on a solid surface (floor normally) helps alot. I normally struggle a bit because I have a bit of a belly on me and have learnt that the best way is to get the tapes where I wear my trousers to get the best fit.

Recently started having a go at doing it standing up, using a wall behind me to pinch the back in place and actually found that now I'm probably getting an even better fit doing that. The current one for example is perfect!

As they say, practice makes perfect :D

Welcome to our world! I bet you're gonna hav a blast! bringmesunshine

bambinod said:
So a lot of us use the "back against a wall" standing up method.
I started that way, but after the first pack I didn't even need a wall. It's easy enough to hold up with one hand while using the other to tape it.

i've never analyzed the process of putting on a diaper, but here's the way i've been doing it:

1. pull down pants and/or boxers but leave them on my legs (leave old diaper on if applicable)
2. take new diaper from package/backpack
3. open new diaper, fold lengthwise, fluff it out
4. put new diaper on top of pants/boxers near floor

if changing diapers:
5. take two baby wipes from package/backpack
6. remove old diaper and put on toilet/floor
7. use baby wipes to clean myself up

8. grab new diaper on left side near bottom of panel
9. lift diaper between legs and fasten lower-left tape then lower-right tape
10. adjust fit so leg-bands don't pinch and so diaper hangs down slightly at crotch
11. fasten upper-right tape then upper-left tape
12. handle trash, wash hands

hey, that was kind of fun :)

is it bad that I've been trying to think of ways to generate more (or make it look like more) trash faster, so that I can wear again sooner?

Last edited:
Also, I've been looking around at some of the posts and they talk about diapering yourself while sitting down. That seems like it would be kinda difficult to judge the placement of everything, due you the bend at your waist. How exactly does one do that, to make sure its positioned right?

Necron681 said:
Also, I've been looking around at some of the posts and they talk about diapering yourself while sitting down. That seems like it would be kinda difficult to judge the placement of everything, due you the bend at your waist. How exactly does one do that, to make sure its positioned right?

Just sit in the middle of the diaper and pull the front up, then the back, and tape...it's a bit trickier than diapering yourself laying down.

Sitting down diapering works best if your sitting on top of a toilet where the back of the diaper is leaning against the stand...thingy.

Necron681 said:

Sitting and laying down both have those issues. It's a bit easier to judge the placement while standing.

I thought laying down was the easiest, why is standing better?

Lorica said:
It probably has nothing to do with any of that.

Abena's don't fit me terribly well, and as far as a daytime diaper, I don't really think they were designed for active youngish people and more for the bedridden. Excellent night time diaper, however.

Try a diaper cover or snug boxer briefs with them, it helps keep them in place.
Abena doesn't fit well at all. I find them falling off all the time when nothing is on the outside keeping it up. Their plastic is really weak and stretches out rather easily. It seems to get worse and worse. They used to be a staple in the industry, but now they're average at best compared to the new breeds of premium diapers.

I wish that all diapers had taping panels like Bambino and vintage baby diapers. They worked great.

I was actually looking for irnub's response why standing is better. It just doesn't seem to me like standing would be better/easier, because laying down you dont have to mess with holding anything up and you can concentrate on the fit.

Necron681 said:
I was actually looking for irnub's response why standing is better. It just doesn't seem to me like standing would be better/easier, because laying down you dont have to mess with holding anything up and you can concentrate on the fit.

If you use the leaning against the wall method, there's no concentration on holding things up required. It's also a lot easier to reposition as your entire weight isn't pushing the diaper into a mattress or carpet and deforming it. It's also a lot easier to look behind you and see how it's lining up. Just pull it up, even out height of the front and back (this is way easier to do standing), lean back a tiny bit against a wall to hold the back, let go of the front and then you've got both hands free to adjust the left to right position of the back as necessary. Once that's squared off, pull the front up again and start taping. (my preference is tops first to hold it up, then I have hands free to get the angle on the bottom ones right)

You'll develop your own method easy enough (I always do it standing and don't even need a wall to lean on). A few things I'd recommend paying attention to though:
- Use various landmarks (wetness indicator, where the padding ends, etc.) to remember where you taped the diaper last time. The more repeatability you get, the easier it'll be to find out what works and what doesn't work.

- A lot of people make the mistake of thinking the diaper has to fit super tight, or even "snug". The thing is, a diaper prevents leaks by absorbing liquid before it runs out, not by making a watertight seal around the openings. A proper fit will often feel really loose, and saggyness is often beneficial (e.g. if the crotch is sagging down, liquid will pool there and absorb rather than running straight out the leg openings). The least leak prone experience I ever had was when I accidentally bought a pack of molicare large (I fit into molicare small no problem).

- Just stick the tapes once and be done with it. They really don't need to be "perfect", as long as you get it in the general vicinity it'll be fine. The more you adjust and mess with them, the more likely they'll unstick. If the plastic is stretching out, you're trying to make it too tight by several orders of magnitude. The top tapes are like a belt, and generally go horizontal or angled slightly downwards. The bottom tapes work best angled upwards (it looks really counter intuitive, but the elastic in the leg gathers is what makes the seal there, not the tapes) if the diaper fits well on you, and angled downwards if the diaper is on the big side.

Update:
So I wore last night, and unfortunately I was not feeling the best and had a hard time going to sleep and even though I drank like 20 oz before going to sleep, I woke up dry. I did use it when i got up though, which meant i didn't have to leave my dorm room until i had to go to class, so at least I have that going for me. one thin i noticed though was that its impossible for me to go when I'm sitting or laying down, my body just refuses, no matter how hard I try. And since I'm new to this, my mind isn't that comfortable going while standing up either. I dont know if anyone else who's new is reading this but I have found a simple, yet elegant solution. Stand close to a wall, like you would at a urinal, and lean your head against the wall to take some pressure off of your legs. I find that when I do that, it takes only a few seconds of concentrating and the waters starts to flow, as opposed to standing in the middle of a room and wondering why nothing's happening.

Also, when I woke up the absorbant material core that was between my legs was a bit bunched up. It didn't affect how the diaper performed, but I was just wondering if that was because I was tossing and turning throughout the night because I wasn't feeling well, or a symptom of wearing it over a 9 hour period?

Last edited:
Necron681 said:
Update:
So I wore last night, and unfortunately I was not feeling the best and had a hard time going to sleep and even though I drank like 20 oz before going to sleep, I woke up dry. I did use it when i got up though, which meant i didn't have to leave my dorm room until i had to go to class, so at least I have that going for me. one thin i noticed though was that its impossible for me to go when I'm sitting or laying down, my body just refuses, no matter how hard I try. And since I'm new to this, my mind isn't that comfortable going while standing up either. I dont know if anyone else who's new is reading this but I have found a simple, yet elegant solution. Stand close to a wall, like you would at a urinal, and lean your head against the wall to take some pressure off of your legs. I find that when I do that, it takes only a few seconds of concentrating and the waters starts to flow, as opposed to standing in the middle of a room and wondering why nothing's happening.

I have a very hard time going when sat or lying down. I have only managed it once or twice, my brain just overtakes and warns me that im sat down, what if I leak onto the armchair etc, and the same in bed.

I've never wanted to go while asleep, so i'm not sure how it works, but from what I have read around here and elsewhere it takes a while for you to "un-train" what you have learnt for years to do. Also filling yourself up with as much fluid as you can to try and make yourself go can be bad for you (Someone else may be able to clarify?), that is my understanding at least. I don't overfill myself anymore, i used to try. Instead I just drink normally and actually find that my normal routine of squash and coffee makes me pee ALOT anyway. I no longer try to wet as fast as possible and instead just enjoy the time I have in the diapers and let it come naturally. The more you pressure yourself the less you will go!

It probably took me 10 or so diapers to get used to peeing freestanding, I started by going to the bathroom in a diaper and standing near the toilet so it felt more "Normal" and then as i gained trust with the leak guards etc I found it easier to go anywhere.

Perfect example however is I need to go quite bad, but im sat typing this. As soon as i stand it will flood and I know it.

Just relax, take your time and enjoy it :)

kupo said:
I have a very hard time going when sat or lying down. I have only managed it once or twice, my brain just overtakes and warns me that im sat down, what if I leak onto the armchair etc, and the same in bed.

I've never wanted to go while asleep, so i'm not sure how it works, but from what I have read around here and elsewhere it takes a while for you to "un-train" what you have learnt for years to do. Also filling yourself up with as much fluid as you can to try and make yourself go can be bad for you (Someone else may be able to clarify?), that is my understanding at least. I don't overfill myself anymore, i used to try. Instead I just drink normally and actually find that my normal routine of squash and coffee makes me pee ALOT anyway. I no longer try to wet as fast as possible and instead just enjoy the time I have in the diapers and let it come naturally. The more you pressure yourself the less you will go!

It probably took me 10 or so diapers to get used to peeing freestanding, I started by going to the bathroom in a diaper and standing near the toilet so it felt more "Normal" and then as i gained trust with the leak guards etc I found it easier to go anywhere.

Perfect example however is I need to go quite bad, but im sat typing this. As soon as i stand it will flood and I know it.

Just relax, take your time and enjoy it :)

Drinking way to much water can be bad for you since it can lower the salt in your blood. If you go to far with it, you could even die.

With that said, there isn't anything wrong with drinking a lot of water, it becomes bad when you drink so much in a short period of time. I am not talking a few cups though, I am talking well over 2 liters. Don't ever do it.

1 -2 liters of water drinking it over a period of 2 - 3 hours is plenty to make you have to go real bad and perfectly safe. You could even throw in a cup of coffee as it will quicken the effect. Caffeine is a dietary which is why coffee works so well. However, don't do this back to back, once per day should be perfectly safe. More than that, and I really can't say since everyone's body is different.

If you are looking to hold it as long as you can, this is also safe normally. I say normally because it is certainly possible for some people to have issues where their bladder will not empty out like it should when it's overfull. It's rare though.
Now however, holding it in for long periods of time can cause incontinence later down the road as you get older, especially if you do it way to often.

As for me, I can go just about anywhere, in any position. XD

Can anyone answer my other question, about the bunching up of the core material inside the liner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back