Cultures and kids with nappies

Dutchpamper

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hi all
I was wondering. How do different cultures deal with nappies? I am from Holland, most kids here do ‘normally’ wear nappies till age 3. At nighttime even older somtimes. I was 8 nearly 9 when I was out of nappies at night.

Does every culture handle nappies different? For example when you see African youtube vids, you often see that kids are potty trained before 2. In Asia they wear even at daytime somtimes at age 4. How do Arab cultures deal with it? Maybe you can tell how your culture is dealing with it? 😃

Reactions: COincon
Im from south east asia , most are potty trained early but still wears diapers at like 4-5 however rare cases like me i was potty trained late and because of bedwetting i wore diapers till late teens at 16 but its normal for kids here to still be in diapers at maybe 4-5 .

I remember being in rural parts of China about 20 years ago and seeing toddler boys - I didn't happen to spot any girls - wandering about with split pants.

In some parts of Africa, running water is still a luxury. A friend in Uganda has two small boys; his wife has to draw water from the village well to wash everything, so early potty-training is essential as a labor-saving practice. I imagine the ready availability of disposables in the United States has led to prolonged diaper-wearing; I grew up in the early 1960s and was using the toilet by the time I turned two. I wasn't particularly reliable, of course, but my mother was anxious to stop washing (and changing) cloth diapers.

Reactions: Angelapinks, Luvshugs and Dutchpamper
Sgdlboy said:
Im from south east asia , most are potty trained early but still wears diapers at like 4-5 however rare cases like me i was potty trained late and because of bedwetting i wore diapers till late teens at 16 but its normal for kids here to still be in diapers at maybe 4-5 .
How do people react when kids like 5 are still wearing diapers? Is it accepted? My mom did get questions somtimes when i had that age. One person asked me ones when i was about 6. "Are you not a big boy yet?" I did not know what to answer and it made me very sad...

• Sad
Reactions: theancientmariner
In the UK once children turn 2 it's like suddenly they're meant to be using the potty and then parents really started stressing when they turn 3. For me, as long as they're ready for school then I don't see the rush. It's like learning to walk and talk, it will come.

Reactions: tam1623, AJFan2020, Luvshugs and 1 other person
Dutchpamper said:
How do people react when kids like 5 are still wearing diapers? Is it accepted? My mom did get questions somtimes when i had that age. One person asked me ones when i was about 6. "Are you not a big boy yet?" I did not know what to answer and it made me very sad...

Although a bit curious, but not in a judgmental way. I tend to mind my own business, unless the situation appears abusive.

Usually the mother/boyfriend relationship, and the child ends up neglected/abused, just for being a bedwetter. :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dutchpamper
Dutchpamper said:
People don't really care that much for other kids as its not really their problem but im sure the kids parents would be trying their best for their child , i know for me i was constantly compared to my peers like my friends are not wearing diapers why am i still in them from family .

Sgdlboy said:
Lucky, here(USA) that would be a problem because of school. Would need a doctors note and would be very limited what if any preschool would take you.

What CookieMonstah said about UK is about same I think here in states. Tho the us can vary greatly by region.

Reactions: Luvshugs and Dutchpamper
Is Australia the culture is no nappies at pre school and beyond, so must be daytime toilet trained by 3-4 years old, as for night time anything goes I guess?

Reactions: espectro, LilByte and Dutchpamper
SmolPupprrito said:
Is Australia the culture is no nappies at pre school and beyond, so must be daytime toilet trained by 3-4 years old, as for night time anything goes I guess?
Same as here…

LilByte said:
Lucky, here(USA) that would be a problem because of school. Would need a doctors note and would be very limited what if any preschool would take you.

What CookieMonstah said about UK is about same I think here in states. Tho the us can vary greatly by region.
The tendency is that more and more kids are potty trained later. My uncle workes at a primary school, lots of kids come in wet nappies at school in the morning. They somtimes sent them home to cleanup…

SmolPupprrito said:
The norm in Australia is for children to be toilet trained by 3, but few would be trained before they turn 2.

Reactions: SmolPupprrito and Dutchpamper
Dutchpamper said:
The tendency is that more and more kids are potty trained later. My uncle workes at a primary school, lots of kids come in wet nappies at school in the morning. They somtimes sent them home to cleanup…
Yeah I've worked in a school where some children would have accidents like every day. Some I know of are sent in nappies.

In Hungary 2-3 years old is general. Children start kindergarten at 3 and they have to be potty-trained. If a child doesn't hit it, no problem, go to kindergarten with 10 pairs of panties...

around here 3 is quite average to have kids toilet trained. Night time dry is a lot older but unfortunately a lot of those older kids struggling with night time wetting live with the diaper stigma.
Guilt, teasing, humiliation.
You can have a physical disability and your peers will be supportive but pee your bed and you're called a baby

• Sad
Reactions: 12srepaid and Dutchpamper
sbmccue said:
I remember being in rural parts of China about 20 years ago and seeing toddler boys - I didn't happen to spot any girls - wandering about with split pants.

In some parts of Africa, running water is still a luxury. A friend in Uganda has two small boys; his wife has to draw water from the village well to wash everything, so early potty-training is essential as a labor-saving practice. I imagine the ready availability of disposables in the United States has led to prolonged diaper-wearing; I grew up in the early 1960s and was using the toilet by the time I turned two. I wasn't particularly reliable, of course, but my mother was anxious to stop washing (and changing) cloth diapers.
First of all your post made me think of the “luxuries” that we have available to us in my homeland, the United States. The readily available water, electricity, communications, entertainment, and other services that definitely aren’t universally available in other countries. As to the diapering practices that I’ve observed, or participated in, when cloth diapers were exclusive, or in the majority, mothers often began trying to potty train between 18 to 24 months. My wife and I used cloth diapers and we began in this age range with our children. We soon found our kids varied considerably in their acceptance of our efforts. I would agree with your point about the easy accessibility to disposable products in the US leading to older children still wearing diapers. Washing diapers has always been high on the drudgery index of household chores making disposables attractive even though they require more of the family budget. It’s amazing that in a society where many claim to desire a move to renewable resources and recycling wherever possible that cloth diapers aren’t favored. The ability to leave your troubles behind you and not have to bring the used item(s) home for laundry has overridden the environmentalist in many Americans.

SparkyDog said:
around here 3 is quite average to have kids toilet trained. Night time dry is a lot older but unfortunately a lot of those older kids struggling with night time wetting live with the diaper stigma.
Guilt, teasing, humiliation.
You can have a physical disability and your peers will be supportive but pee your bed and you're called a baby
True....i did wet the bed because my brains did not give the 'signal'to go to the toilet. I was born prematurely and my development was slower then 'normal'. I could walk at age 2 and riding a bike age 8 for example.

Reactions: 12srepaid
Zeke said:
First of all your post made me think of the “luxuries” that we have available to us in my homeland, the United States. The readily available water, electricity, communications, entertainment, and other services that definitely aren’t universally available in other countries. As to the diapering practices that I’ve observed, or participated in, when cloth diapers were exclusive, or in the majority, mothers often began trying to potty train between 18 to 24 months. My wife and I used cloth diapers and we began in this age range with our children. We soon found our kids varied considerably in their acceptance of our efforts. I would agree with your point about the easy accessibility to disposable products in the US leading to older children still wearing diapers. Washing diapers has always been high on the drudgery index of household chores making disposables attractive even though they require more of the family budget. It’s amazing that in a society where many claim to desire a move to renewable resources and recycling wherever possible that cloth diapers aren’t favored. The ability to leave your troubles behind you and not have to bring the used item(s) home for laundry has overridden the environmentalist in many Americans.
The power and water cost of washing cloth diapers is so great that it is on par or worse then disposable in many cases supposedly. (in actuality it would depend on water in your area and how it is filtered. and what energy source you use)

As far as reusing disposable diapers, some people were using the sap in gardens, but that recommendation has sense been changed as it is claimed it can harm the plants by pulling water away from the plants and not acting like peat and letting the plants get the water back.

The most recent disposable recycling process I've heard is using the sap in concrete. I don't feel like it's probably the best idea, but they are trying it.

TLDR
The most resource efficient method, would be the Chinese/Asian split pants or infant potty elimination methods and other such no diaper methods.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Edgewater
Dutchpamper said:
I got that too. I was potty trained at the normal age but thanks to a weak bladder I was in and out of diapers until I was almost five. I remember being at the grocery store with my mom; one of the cashiers was ringing up a pack of diapers and asked me in a very judgmental tone: “Aren’t you too old for these?” I burst into tears and the lady backpedaled; raising her hands and saying things like: “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…” I wish I had the knowledge and guts to say:”Why don’t you mind your own f***king business, lady?”

• Sad
Reactions: CookieMonstah and Dutchpamper
LilByte said:
The power and water cost of washing cloth diapers is so great that it is on par or worse then disposable in many cases supposedly. (in actuality it would depend on water in your area and how it is filtered. and what energy source you use)

As far as reusing disposable diapers, some people were using the sap in gardens, but that recommendation has sense been changed as it is claimed it can harm the plants by pulling water away from the plants and not acting like peat and letting the plants get the water back.

The most recent disposable recycling process I've heard is using the sap in concrete. I don't feel like it's probably the best idea, but they are trying it.

TLDR
The most resource efficient method, would be the Chinese/Asian split pants or infant potty elimination methods and other such no diaper methods.
Water has been recycled since the dawn of time and cloth diapers don’t fill landfills or stay they for 500 years before degrading. Cloth diapers also make great cleaning rags when they’re no longer suitable for use for their original purpose. The power used is offset by the power used to make disposables, the oil used as raw materials, and the fuel used to deliver them to the retailer every week as needed. The Chinese/Asian plan is probably the least environmentally offensive, but the messing wherever they take the notion isn’t the most hygienic solution. Even using “used” SAP in gardening carries the risk of importing human biological waste into the food produced which is why it’s recommended for use in flower gardens and non food related uses only. I hadn’t heard of using it in concrete, but I would be concerned adding it to any concrete that requires a high strength pound per square inch strength rating. Elimination communication is probably the only true environmentally friendly solution to this problem.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater
Back