Autism & diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
ltaluv said:
I didn't actually start doing PLCs until 2013. I'd been laid off from a startup where I was doing medical device development, mostly magnetic FEA and microfluidics. I couldn't find CAM software that did what I needed, so I wrote my own. When that job ended, I started working for another startup doing engineering consulting, mostly on factory equipment repairs and upgraded, but also some microcontroller work, digital design, machine, design, whatever we could bring in the door. Pay wasn't great, but I learned more at that job than any other time since college. Their PLC guy was leaving the well after I started, so I say down with him for about an hour one afternoon while he showed me the absolute rudiments of RSLogix. After that, I just played with it (on somebody else's nickel, naturally) until it all made sense. That job petered out after a few years, and now I work for the company that I used to consult for, along with a little moonlighting for my former company when they have an electronic job come in.

At the end of the day, programming is programming. I cut my teeth on an 8-bit Atari system in the early 80s, and while I've picked a bunch more languages since then, it's just about understanding how to write the instructions for what you want done. Ladder logic is one of the harder languages I use, though - it requires a while different approach and control structures from more traditional procedural and OO languages.

It's all fun, though, and I love what I do!
As a matter of clarification, The Atari is a 4 bit system, Commodore Vic-20, Commodore 64, NES and Sega Master system are 8 bit, And Sega Genesis and SNES are 16 bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: perlFerret
Sidewinder said:
As a matter of clarification, The Atari is a 4 bit system, Commodore Vic-20, Commodore 64, NES and Sega Master system are 8 bit, And Sega Genesis and SNES are 16 bit.
The Atari VCS is a fairly basic 8 but system based on the MOS Technologies 6507 processor, which was a stopped-down version of the 6502 (as used in the Apple ][, asking others) packaged into a low-cost DIP-28. What I learned on was the 6502-based Atari 800, which, like all 8-bit machines, can access 65536 bytes (64k) of RAM before having to resort to technical wizardry to switch memory in and out of the system. The commodore 64 was based on the MOS 6510, which was essentially a modified 6502 with some additional I/O, and it overmapped the upper memory with the ROM to get 64k useable if you bank-switched the ROM out.

The Atari 400/800 (the latter had expandable RAM to 48k, mechanical keyboard, and dual cartridge slots) was based on a custom chipset designed by Jay Miner, who did the groundbreaking (for 1977) TIA chip that was the heart of the VCS (later called the 2600 to distinguish it from the ill-fated 5200). The 400/800 had a trio of custom chips; CTIA (and the later updated GTIA that enabled three more graphics modes), PIA, and POKEY. These offloaded some of the work from the CPU, as well as delivering a very robust set of system interrupts such as DLIs that allowed 18 clock cycles as the election beam in the TV monitor reached the end of the scan line and returned to scan another line; this was enough time to do a PHA to save the accumulator on the stack, alter one memory location with LDA/STA, and PLA to restore the accumulator so as not to disturb the program running before the interrupt triggered. One could change color registers, character set maps (including a full remap of all 128 characters that could be placed in RAM) and all sorts of cool stuff, provided one could use assembly. Sadly, a nasty little bug in Atari BASIC caused the tokenized program to have to search through the entire set of tokens each time an instruction was decoded, rather than prioritizing the search of the token table by instruction frequency and optimizing the search. This made the BASIC rather slow and hobbled what was in many ways a remarkable machine.

Jay Miner went on to design the Amiga chipset, which was another rather remarkable machine that got caught up in the infighting and politics of Commodore's implosion. By 1991, I was coding on PCs instead of anything Amiga or Atari, and traded my Amiga 2000 for a VW Rabbit that needed a transmission swap. Should have kept the Amiga - it was nicer than the Volkswagen, and much cleaner.

You may just have to trust me on this stuff - I lived and breathed this from the time I was 11 and got access to my school's TRS-80 Model 1 all the way until I graduated college, having paid a lot of my way by developing standalone applications on the now-ancient Access 2.0.

Sometimes I miss the down-and-dirty coding style of the old 8-bit home computers. No real OS, at least not in the proper sense, so you just poked directly at the hardware. But I can still do that with microcontrollers - I've done a lot of fun stuff with AVRs, both in assembly and C. PLCs pay better, though, and there aren't that many people around here who can work with them, so I've got pretty ironclad job security.

Last edited:
Reactions: perlFerret, depends4me and Sidewinder
I hope I'm not coming of as an insufferable know-it-all. Mostly I think I'm just demonstrating my own unique place on the autism spectrum - I collect huge amounts of information, which I bring out at socially awkward times despite my audience's eyes glazing over. Those who know me spend equal amounts of time saying, "How do you remember all this crap?" and rolling their eyes. :ROFLMAO:

At least I'm good at laughing at myself. 😁

Reactions: perlFerret, Fleetwoodmac32192, OfficialPastelPoppet and 1 other person
Sidewinder said:

And N64 is 64 bit which is why they called it a Nintendo 64.

Reactions: Lyokodl
Sidewinder said:
For being a two-bit 4-bit system, Ataris were fun...but are we talking the 2600 or the 5200?

EDIT: Okay, hold the phone...Wikipedia says both the 2600 and 5200 were 8-bit... 😲

Last edited:
Reactions: Sidewinder
I know Donkey Kong games for the SNES has 32 bit graphics and even Playstation games, has 32 bits also before the N64 came out. Donkey Kong Country was the first SNES game with 3D graphics. That was new gaming technology in the 90's and the future of gaming.

Last edited:
BobbiSueEllen said:
For being a two-bit 4-bit system, Ataris were fun...but are we talking the 2600 or the 5200?

EDIT: Okay, hold the phone...Wikipedia says both the 2600 and 5200 were 8-bit... 😲
I stand, corrected.

Sidewinder said:
I stand, corrected.
No worries, only found this out when I looked up both the 2600 and the 5200 to compare them. 🥳

The VCS (later called the 2600, but it's the same exact machine in either case) used a 6507, which is an 8-bit 6502 in a smaller DIP package with only 13 address lines, which limits it to addressing 8k of memory. The cartridges, if I recall, were 4k room, and there is very limited variable memory, so I'm assuming there's some system ROM that takes up the other 4k of address space. I've never programmed a VCS, although it's probably not that different from an Atari 800 except that it's much more memory-limited.

ltaluv said:
I hope I'm not coming of as an insufferable know-it-all. Mostly I think I'm just demonstrating my own unique place on the autism spectrum - I collect huge amounts of information, which I bring out at socially awkward times despite my audience's eyes glazing over.

I'm not on the spectrum AFAIK, but was a Commodore/Amiga guy back in the day (to some degree still am) and enjoyed the read. Never got particularly deep into 650x assembly, but you post made me a nostalgic. I recall the first two memory locations on the 6510 were for bank switching, eh?

I never actually programmed a C64. I remember the upper 10k on the Atari was the system ROM, and I always wondered how that worked to switch the ROM out. I remember a lot of the system RAM was in pages 1-5, page 6 was half reserved for a buffer, and the other half (or the whole thing is you didn't use the buffer) was a handy place to put machine language stuff. The Atari BASIC could also give you the address of a string, so it was common to see BASIC programs with arcane strings inside USR calls - you'd see stuff like q=usr(addr("some random bunch of ASCII")) where the string was actually assembly code. Kind of an odd precursor to a DLL...

ltaluv said:
The Atari BASIC could also give you the address of a string, so it was common to see BASIC programs with arcane strings inside USR calls - you'd see stuff like q=usr(addr("some random bunch of ASCII")) where the string was actually assembly code. Kind of an odd precursor to a DLL...

That's a little bizarre. And I've never programmed an Atari.

depends4me said:
I'm not on the spectrum AFAIK

Just realized I'd made a little joke. Getting back on-topic, if I was on the spectrum, I'd be using one of these

1024px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

Except they use a Z80. :)

• Haha
Reactions: perlFerret, ltaluv and Lyokodl
Dylan292 said:
As a child I. Was a late potty trained it was a struggle I will mess my self my parents never wanted me to in diaps yeah most of the others they make their kid wear did anyone on Spectrum wear

As a little girl i had more then a few " accidents" of both kinds 24/7 and had this up to say 8 -9 then things calmed down to again start in my early 20 ´s with IBS which then progressed to were i am now .

Having this or any other NP diagnose dont aotomaticly make you IC. BUT IC (both ways ) is ONE of the many possible Co morbid diagnosis to both ADHD , as well as ASD. and it usely starts in the younger years (ie child ) And it is important that i point out NOT everyone gets all or indeed any co morbid diagnosis . And i know MANY on the spectrum that dont have this problem as well those that that does.

Last edited by a moderator:
depends4me said:
That's a little bizarre. And I've never programmed an Atari.

Just realized I'd made a little joke. Getting back on-topic, if I was on the spectrum, I'd be using one of these

View attachment 41504

Except they use a Z80. :)
I'm on the mild end of the spectrum and am very self conscious about it.

Sidewinder said:
I'm on the mild end of the spectrum and am very self conscious about it.
I can be self-conscious about it, which I've learned to cover up with humor. Being an engineer helps, since as a group engineers are notorious for limited social skills. I get a lot of mileage out of the joke that you can tell an introverted engineer from an extroverted one because the introverted engineer looks at his shoes when he talks to you, while the extroverted engineer looks at YOUR shoes while he's talking to you. 😁

Regardless, though, true friends will accept you for who you are, and help you become who you want to be. I've had a surprising number of truly good friends in my life; the trick is to identify the people who lift you up and build those friendships.

Reactions: perlFerret, BraveBabyFinn, Midwest82 and 2 others
I, autistic diaper baby am primarilly a computer Hardware person.
Also mixed Digital/Analog circiutry.
Sigh...
It is too hot today for wearing plastic pants over my disposable dydee.
The other day I tried to see if my 40 year-old Sanyo Cassette Tape Recorder still functions.
NFG!
I would rip it open an put an oscilloscope onto the main circuit board, but one can not find spare parts for it, even if I did figure out what burned-out.
This old tape recorder was being used as the Mass-Storage Device for the old Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer my late brother Nate and I still have.
It was the 1st home computer with a 16-bit Microprocessor.

ltaluv said:
I can be self-conscious about it, which I've learned to cover up with humor. Being an engineer helps, since as a group engineers are notorious for limited social skills. I get a lot of mileage out of the joke that you can tell an introverted engineer from an extroverted one because the introverted engineer looks at his shoes when he talks to you, while the extroverted engineer looks at YOUR shoes while he's talking to you. 😁

Regardless, though, true friends will accept you for who you are, and help you become who you want to be. I've had a surprising number of truly good friends in my life; the trick is to identify the people who lift you up and build those friendships.
Thanks for the advice.

caitianx said:
I, autistic diaper baby am primarilly a computer Hardware person.
Also mixed Digital/Analog circiutry.
Sigh...
It is too hot today for wearing plastic pants over my disposable dydee.
The other day I tried to see if my 40 year-old Sanyo Cassette Tape Recorder still functions.
NFG!
I would rip it open an put an oscilloscope onto the main circuit board, but one can not find spare parts for it, even if I did figure out what burned-out.
This old tape recorder was being used as the Mass-Storage Device for the old Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer my late brother Nate and I still have.
It was the 1st home computer with a 16-bit Microprocessor.
I remember the TI well. My nearest neighbor had one. It was an excellent machine in a lot of ways, and beat everyone else to market with a 16-bit processor by years. I remember the BASIC being rather limited, though - for instance, the only way you could use the If-Then construct was as a goto, such as IF X=3 THEN 120, and control would pass to line 120. I don't think you could do anything else with the IF.

You have far more talent than I if you can do analog circuits. I've done some digital design, but analog is an order of magnitude more difficult.

You can probably buy multiple cassette recorders on eBay for cheap to salvage for parts. If it's old, my experience says that dried electrolytic caps are the most likely culprit, and those are easy enough to get.

I'm old, and I think my electrolytic caps are dry.

Off topic, but is Dylan292 temporarily banned again? He isn’t on and his profile is not available...

DiaperedDiscreetly said:
Off topic, but is Dylan292 temporarily banned again? He isn’t on and his profile is not available...
It looks like he was on Saturday morning, but no clue. His post have stopped coming in daily though so possibly. Or perhaps he is laying low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back