Adult autism diagnosis information

Reactions: Wonderingabout and BobbiSueEllen
I scored well inside the likely autism scale on both the AQ and RAADS. I’m also strongly ADHD (inattentive), but never formally diagnosed. Back in the 70’s, teachers just threw something at you in class to get you to pay attention. Or they held you back a grade, because they thought you were dumb, but you were really just bored out of your mind.

Bingo. I can understand their blindness...just not the harsh methods they used to react to it.

I hope I can ask this question in this thread....
Does anyone know how to enjoy life without some hellish season to get through? Or some vacation you really go on?

I'm extremely struggling with being in a holding pattern... life is good, and I've never not chaos or barely surviving...

It's not boredom that I experience that is torture, I love being bored, I get to day dream and be alone in my own head, it's the not having something my brain has to tackle with all of its might just to keep the status quo.
Please tell me I'm not the only one

• Thinking
Pizzanque said:
Does anyone know how to enjoy life without some hellish season to get through? Or some vacation you really go on?

I'm extremely struggling with being in a holding pattern... life is good, and I've never not chaos or barely surviving...

It's not boredom that I experience that is torture, I love being bored, I get to day dream and be alone in my own head, it's the not having something my brain has to tackle with all of its might just to keep the status quo.
Well...I have 2 cars, people who need me on occasion, always somewhere to go in any weather, especially on an either black-iced or sizzling-hot interstate. Vacations kinda...happen. Life is a banquet, the ambiance-pro-tem being an adventure, no matter when. Sorry I can't give better insight; I just takes it as it rolls. :unsure:

Reactions: Wonderingabout
Pizzanque said:

@Pizzanque it can be hard to find contentment at times. If you're always looking ahead for the next thing you'll never be content with where you're at currently. Same goes for if you're longing for things to be the way they use to be. There is joy in the here and now and we just have to look for it.

Reactions: Pizzanque and BobbiSueEllen
I scored 57, which was right in line with my expectation. ("Some autistic traits, but likely not autistic.")

BobbiSueEllen said:
Well, you don't get grants, you don't get special accommodation or opportunities to learn how to cope, you don't get much...but, as in my instance, you get a chance to end a nagging mystery and move forward. I think everybody deserves an opportunity to end a life-mystery. But if ya don't wanna know, that's okay, too.
^^ Very much this. As an adult, the only reasonable objective when pursuing a diagnosis like this is personal enlightenment. Any positive changes will be yours to make.

• Love
Cottontail said:
I scored 57, which was right in line with my expectation. ("Some autistic traits, but likely not autistic.")
Which scale was that?

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Eclectic said:
Which scale was that?
That was on the 0-240 "RAADS-R" test, linked by the OP.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Eclectic
Cottontail said:
That was on the 0-240 "RAADS-R" test, linked by the OP.
I scored a 190 on that one.

Reactions: Cottontail and BobbiSueEllen
Interesting, scored high, but close below 100, so not autistic, but got half the point in "social relatedness".

Not that surprisingly though.

Reactions: Cottontail
Eclectic said:
I scored a 190 on that one.
Cottontail said:
I scored 57, which was right in line with my expectation. ("Some autistic traits, but likely not autistic.").
I scored 184! I sit and think how it could be so high and yet I'm as functional as I am, even nominally. Or am I perceiving it all wrong? I don't really understand.

Reactions: Cottontail
BobbiSueEllen said:
I scored 184! I sit and think how it could be so high and yet I'm as functional as I am, even nominally. Or am I perceiving it all wrong? I don't really understand.
It certainly is interesting! While taking the test, I was often frustrated by the lack of "sometimes" and "almost always"-type responses. I felt like I was constantly rounding my answer up or down. Definitely no substitute for an interview/observation conducted by a psychologist, but it's obviously an indicator.

The part that amused me the most, and doubtless highlighted one of my autistic traits, was the part about textures. Certain combinations of textures completely repel me. For example, my parents have a set of silverware that I can't use. Touching the handles makes me squirm and shiver. Mom's always found it kind of amusing. When we visited for Thanksgiving last fall, she put one of those forks by my plate and nobody else's. Nice! (I picked it up by the prongs, which don't bother me, and exchanged it.)

BobbiSueEllen said:
I think there are two different things. Being autistic and having the ability to function day to day. Some people have both. Some are autistic and cannot function well day to day.

Reactions: Pino, LittleRobbie, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person
I got a score of 209 which seems rather high 😲 oh well!

• Wow
LittleRobbie said:
I got a score of 209 which seems rather high 😲 oh well!
I think I fell into the same trap as an average person, thinking a higher number indicated greater impairment. Was I wrong! I see now there's no correlation between the two.

Cottontail said:
It certainly is interesting! While taking the test, I was often frustrated by the lack of "sometimes" and "almost always"-type responses. I felt like I was constantly rounding my answer up or down. Definitely no substitute for an interview/observation conducted by a psychologist, but it's obviously an indicator.
Exactly. No real account for degree or proportion. Just a binary-esque 1, 0 or -1.

Cottontail said:
The part that amused me the most, and doubtless highlighted one of my autistic traits, was the part about textures. Certain combinations of textures completely repel me. For example, my parents have a set of silverware that I can't use. Touching the handles makes me squirm and shiver. Mom's always found it kind of amusing. When we visited for Thanksgiving last fall, she put one of those forks by my plate and nobody else's. Nice! (I picked it up by the prongs, which don't bother me, and exchanged it.)
Oral texture, taste & smell for me. I can deal with most textures, such as clothing and all...but one thing that greatly upsets me is others touching me in any context non-medical. I have to mentally brace myself for a handshake and endure it. And the phonier a person's first impression is, the more I have to brace. Once I trust a person, a handshake is okay.

P.S. -- and I resent utter strangers using patronizations and/or terms of endearment on me. I call that out immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: diaperkool, LittleRobbie and Cottontail
I have trouble answering the question. But if you know someone seeking an autistic diagnosis. Reassure them. That they 100 percent the person you care for. The evaluation is in fact scary. But at the end of the days. Its more akin to hard work than a roller coaster of life changing events.

Reactions: LittleRobbie and Wonderingabout
I scored a 166, which surprised me a little, but not as much as I thought. At the end of the day, these are collections of behaviors I've always known I had, but having a potential name to put to them does help with accepting myself.

Reactions: LittleRobbie, BobbiSueEllen and Wonderingabout
I consulted two different psychologists, my primary doctor, and took multiple tests to receive the diagnosis I already knew that I had. I knew from the time I was in first grade that there was something “different” about me compared to the other kids, but could never figure it out. My grandma shared with me a few years back that she had suspicions I was autistic when I was little, but I seemed to outgrow them (I learned how to mask VERY well). After looking into it and learning about it, I self-diagnosed as having Asperger’s. However, upon consulting medical professionals, I was told that Asperger’s isn’t technically diagnosed anymore and was given an official diagnosis of Level 1 ASD.

Thank you everyone for your inputs! It's been great to read everyone's thoughts. We are still working on next steps, but we at least have done semblance of a plan going forward.

Back