Adult autism diagnosis information

Wonderingabout

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Does anyone have experience with autism diagnosis as an adult? I searched the threads and read up on posts going back to 2021 I believe. Just curious where the best place to get info on helping a spouse through a diagnosis.
My wife found the online test linked below, but I believe it will be much more clinical in order to get diagnosed. There are also other test on the same website. Has anyone been officially diagnosed as an adult?

Reactions: LittleRobbie and DBabygirl2
Apparently I'm autistic because I took the test but I can't decipher the results lol.

• Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Wonderingabout
I did but was my psychiatrist, psychologist and later neuropsychologist who did

Reactions: uwumiddlespace, BobbiSueEllen and Wonderingabout
Took the test now. Had a much higher score than expected. Need to run some more tests(y)

Cozycomfort1 said:
Apparently I'm autistic because I took the test but I can't decipher the results lol.
@cozycombasically, if you score higher than 65, you have a much higher chance of being diagnosed with autism.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240302_191841_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240302_191841_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 5
I am Autistic.
Diagnosed correctly at age 47 by a Developmental Neurologist.
I will be 66 on Wednesday next week.

I scored a 187...a bit of a surprise, compared to my initial diagnosis in MSP...

Meaning of RAADS–R scores​

ScoreInterpretation
25You are not autistic.
50Some autistic traits, but likely not autistic (yet some autistic people score as low as 44).
65The minimum score at which autism is considered.
90Stronger indications of autism, although non-autistics may score as high.
130The mean score of autistic people; strong evidence for autism.
160Very strong evidence for autism.
227The maximum score autistic people acquired in Ritvo’s seminal paper on the RAADS–R.
240The maximum possible RAADS–R score.

I wonder if test completion time factors into the score... 🫢

But would you trust a doc that handed you the scoreboard like this? 🤭

Scary Doc.png

Last edited:
Reactions: KBoy, Wonderingabout and DBabygirl2
BobbiSueEllen said:
I scored a 187...a bit of a surprise, compared to my initial diagnosis in MSP...

Meaning of RAADS–R scores​

ScoreInterpretation
25You are not autistic.
50Some autistic traits, but likely not autistic (yet some autistic people score as low as 44).
65The minimum score at which autism is considered.
90Stronger indications of autism, although non-autistics may score as high.
130The mean score of autistic people; strong evidence for autism.
160Very strong evidence for autism.
227The maximum score autistic people acquired in Ritvo’s seminal paper on the RAADS–R.
240The maximum possible RAADS–R score.

I wonder if test completion time factors into the score... 🫢
I think it’s untimed. And calculates scores based on the answers you choose (mutually exclusive). My score today was the same as it was a year ago.

Reactions: KBoy and BobbiSueEllen
Wonderingabout said:
Does anyone have experience with autism diagnosis as an adult? I searched the threads and read up on posts going back to 2021 I believe. Just curious where the best place to get info on helping a spouse through a diagnosis.
My wife found the online test linked below, but I believe it will be much more clinical in order to get diagnosed. There are also other test on the same website. Has anyone been officially diagnosed as an adult?

The AQ , CatQ and RAADS tests online for adults can be helpful to present to a therapist who will officially assess and give a diagnosis. I’ve done my own research in seeking assessment for myself over the past three years. There’s some podcasts and books that have been helpful and I finally found a therapist who’s just like me.. so he understands how challenging it is to find help, without being gaslit, dismissed or costly fees. If you’re interested in the resources, feel free to send a message. I’ll be on here tomorrow.

Reactions: KBoy, Wonderingabout and BobbiSueEllen
i have not received an official diagnosis as of yet, but i started seeing a therapist who specializes in helping neurodivergent patients, and she has already pointed out several of our traits as being autistic. i don't know if she has plans to diagnose us but she already said she would like to hear about our special interests and whatnot, so it's nice to be acknowledged at the very least!

Reactions: KBoy, BobbiSueEllen and Wonderingabout
What are the advantages of being diagnosed as an adult? I am pretty sure I am, but I see no point in getting an official diagnosis in my mid 50’s.

• Thinking
Reactions: Wonderingabout, KBoy and BobbiSueEllen
Eclectic said:
What are the advantages of being diagnosed as an adult? I am pretty sure I am, but I see no point in getting an official diagnosis in my mid 50’s.
Well, you don't get grants, you don't get special accommodation or opportunities to learn how to cope, you don't get much...but, as in my instance, you get a chance to end a nagging mystery and move forward. I think everybody deserves an opportunity to end a life-mystery. But if ya don't wanna know, that's okay, too.

Reactions: PaddedPonyboy, Wonderingabout and KBoy
Peepeegirl said:
I did but was my psychiatrist, psychologist and later neuropsychologist who did
Replying because this is what I did too

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Eclectic said:
This is what I'm a little stuck on too. I think it just puts a name to issues you may have learned to deal with. @Eclectic

DBabygirl2 said:
The AQ , CatQ and RAADS tests online for adults can be helpful to present to a therapist who will officially assess and give a diagnosis. I’ve done my own research in seeking assessment for myself over the past three years. There’s some podcasts and books that have been helpful and I finally found a therapist who’s just like me.. so he understands how challenging it is to find help, without being gaslit, dismissed or costly fees. If you’re interested in the resources, feel free to send a message. I’ll be on here tomorrow.
@DBabygirl2 I still don't think I can message just yet on here, but I am definitely interested in the resources you mentioned. I'll keep posting and will hopefully be able to message soon.

I found the AQ Test was formulated by Dr. Simon Baron-Cohen, a world-leader in autism research...and yes, he is related to actor-comedian Sacha Baron Cohen (cousins). Simon is one of my heroes in autism research, in addition to Dr. Herwig Czech.

Reactions: Wonderingabout and KBoy
I guess I got a high score, 160.... according to my psychologist, there's not really any medial reason to be formally diagnosed. There's no cure or pill for it.

I wish I was neuro typical. I'm sure life is a ton easier for them. Adhd and autism is hard on a neuro typical spouse. It eats away at me to act the way she wants. I'm always guessing. And most of the time I'm wrong.

Pizzanque said:
I guess I got a high score, 160.... according to my psychologist, there's not really any medial reason to be formally diagnosed. There's no cure or pill for it.
Your doc is a quack. If that's the case, then why test anyone of any age for it at all? Dumbf***ery sure abounds in psychiatry anymore. There's no degree of conformity or convention. It's all made up of prima-donnas doing it for the German luxury cars, social stature and exalting their flawed psycho-gods.

Pizzanque said:
I wish I was neuro typical. I'm sure life is a ton easier for them. Adhd and autism is hard on a neuro typical spouse. It eats away at me to act the way she wants. I'm always guessing. And most of the time I'm wrong.
Yeah, there's a point, I suppose. But then again, look at what the NTs routinely do to one another, let alone to us.

And I will never remarry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pizzanque
Wonderingabout said:

I was diagnosed just last year at 47 yrs - there are lots of useful information on YouTube for supporting friends and family as well as ourselves :)

LittleRobbie said:
I was diagnosed just last year at 47 yrs - there are lots of useful information on YouTube for supporting friends and family as well as ourselves :)
@LittleRobbie do you have any YouTube folks you would recommend for a neuro typical supporting a neuro divergent spouse?

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Back