ABDL business product ideas (clothing design and products)

littlekyro said:
true there's steps in fact the first is leasing a store or warehouse as well as getting the business registered usualy an LLC or INC preferable when registering a business so any payments would automatically get taxed and be recognised as a licenced business, that way no one wouldn't run into legal issues for an unregistered business which then would lead to fines, then having the prototypes made prior to mass production if they are successful then mass production, there's a lot about it you didn't mention in your case that I was factoring in
I'm going to echo Topex again - literally NONE of that stuff is first or even second steps, that stuff is all unnecessary expense and effort unless you're living in some sort of bureaucratic dictatorship.

You need to get something done first - a prototype, a design, a proof-of-concept, whatever... you can and should do that from your home with your own money and time well before you think about any of the other stuff.

Topex said:
That's where you're wrong. Neither of those are the first steps in this space, or any. You first need a functional prototype for proof of concept so you have something that works before you even think of finding a warehouse and don't even think about all of this fancy business registration stuff until you have a business. You shouldn't even think about a brick and mortar store for this small and niche of a business and your focus should be getting a website. Until you can mass produce you don't need a warehouse and a warehouse and storefront are expensive.

To be completely honest, you don't seem at all like you know how to start a business. You may know the all of the laws in business, but you sure don't seem to have a clue in starting one
no first step is getting your business started before you do anything else, ive been looking up the steps to start a business and this is because the prototype is meaningliess without a brand or logo backing it as a representation of a product your business will be making, a prototype is 3rd last step if your actually trying to start a business, the first 2 is location of where your business is set up registering a business if you lack the skills to DIY then employ those with skills then present prototype so it is a representation of business direction and a promotional work for the business then your going to case study it which includes reworking and sizing your product if clothing then mass production is the last step you can't make a prototype without you having the business established here in Australia we call that arse about face, you NEED to be registered as a business and have your location set which in any business owner worth his salt is the first step you have to take, what that means that your prototype when made will have the logos and represent the business as a whole, i'm getting the feeling you may not know what your talking about so could you stop responding to my threads please

littlekyro said:
no first step is getting your business started before you do anything else, ive been looking up the steps to start a business and this is because the prototype is meaningliess without a brand or logo backing it as a representation of a product your business will be making, a prototype is 3rd last step if your actually trying to start a business, the first 2 is location of where your business is set up registering a business if you lack the skills to DIY then employ those with skills then present prototype so it is a representation of business direction and a promotional work for the business then your going to case study it which includes reworking and sizing your product if clothing then mass production is the last step you can't make a prototype without you having the business established here in Australia we call that arse about face, you NEED to be registered as a business and have your location set which in any business owner worth his salt is the first step you have to take, what that means that your prototype when made will have the logos and represent the business as a whole, i'm getting the feeling you may not know what your talking about so could you stop responding to my threads please

I have followed this topic because I am also thinking of starting a business some day. At first I didn’t want to join in the discussion because I am not familiar with Australian law etc. But I am becoming really worried that you may get in trouble if you continue your plans like you have outlined in your posts.

I am very curious about your sources of information regarding protoypes, branding and starting a business. You may be right about what you have read, but may have misinterpreted the information or it may not be applicable to you. It is hard to imagine that Australian law demands you to establish a business, hire a warehouse, hire personnel, BEFORE allowing you to make a prototype. Think about it: developing a prototype could take months and in some cases years. No startup would survive that if costs are high and there is no income yet. And can you explain to me why your prototype should have logos?

Suppose I decided to sew my own abdl clothing for business. I would start asking people what they want, what they are missing. I would take a close look at competition, other companies ( both failed and successful), market saturation etc. Then I would start making my prototypes, show them to potential customers, take their advice etc etc. Calculate production costs, break even point. Decide on where and how to promote my business. Only THEN I would start looking for a store, building a website etc. I actually wouldn’t even consider hiring anything before my business growing too large to fit into my own garage. There is no point in setting up a complete infrastructure without having a product to sell of without even knowing what you are going to need when you don’t have a product yet!

Please don’t feel this advice as an attack on your plans, but as a well meant advice. Maybe start your business talking with other entrepreneurs to avoid making mistakes.

Lastly, some interpunction would really help to improve the readability of your posts.

Reactions: RubberJin
Makubird said:
I have followed this topic because I am also thinking of starting a business some day. At first I didn’t want to join in the discussion because I am not familiar with Australian law etc. But I am becoming really worried that you may get in trouble if you continue your plans like you have outlined in your posts.

I am very curious about your sources of information regarding protoypes, branding and starting a business. You may be right about what you have read, but may have misinterpreted the information or it may not be applicable to you. It is hard to imagine that Australian law demands you to establish a business, hire a warehouse, hire personnel, BEFORE allowing you to make a prototype. Think about it: developing a prototype could take months and in some cases years. No startup would survive that if costs are high and there is no income yet. And can you explain to me why your prototype should have logos?

Suppose I decided to sew my own abdl clothing for business. I would start asking people what they want, what they are missing. I would take a close look at competition, other companies ( both failed and successful), market saturation etc. Then I would start making my prototypes, show them to potential customers, take their advice etc etc. Calculate production costs, break even point. Decide on where and how to promote my business. Only THEN I would start looking for a store, building a website etc. I actually wouldn’t even consider hiring anything before my business growing too large to fit into my own garage. There is no point in setting up a complete infrastructure without having a product to sell of without even knowing what you are going to need when you don’t have a product yet!

Please don’t feel this advice as an attack on your plans, but as a well meant advice. Maybe start your business talking with other entrepreneurs to avoid making mistakes.

Lastly, some interpunction would really help to improve the readability of your posts.
you'll find it by researching how to start a business obviously you'll need to the funds but to start up a business you first need to get all your eggs in a basket first which means you'll need to have registered your business beforehand otherwise if you outright present yourself as a manufacturer and a business you can actually get fined its the same in all countries with sound business practices, when you have that and got a lease on a location you can present your prototype because that is how you establish your case study on said product you intend to mass produce, its effective because then when your prototype succeeds you then can go into full production, a lot here would say you need a prototype first but they don't really know that, while that is good and easy you can be fined if you intend to sell or anything like that and call it a business because its unregistered, you could make something and use amazon or ebay but then your just a civil maker not actually a recognised business, but if you wanna go legit you'll want a place your business is established and then you'll need it registered, especially since your business is within the commerce line even if for a niche group, if your selling at a market then its not classified as a business but you'll be labled as a market goods provider, thus you won't have to get a business registered, but for me it's commercial which means I would need to register a business and said business' work place and employ those who can make the prototype first before doing anything else, you can get the prototype made then you'd hold your case study and then mass production if the case study finds your goods worth selling a.

this is all for taxation office records, you see

Last edited:
If your looking for cute designs for clothing try searching amazon for toddler or baby clothing. That is what I do when I am planning out my next sewing project. I take the picture and a reasonably similar adult pattern and make the outfit. Sometimes you need to buy extra stuff like a large patch to put on the front but it can be somewhat cost effective if your doing most of it yourself. I find most of my outfits cost me about 4 hours time and maybe $10 - $20 for materials and accessories. But mine are one offs I'm not exactly producing large scale.

I really really want footies like these that arnt super thick like most stores have that are to hot for summer time. Oh and maybe like just the bottom half with the footie part like for pj pants
31A322DB-44DE-4177-AC97-6F667F28E85B.jpeg

littlekyro said:
you'll find it by researching how to start a business
OK dude, where the actual f**k have you researched this ass-backwards guide to creating a business because I and a lot of people I know have started businesses and THIS IS NOT HOW YOU DO IT.

littlekyro said:
if you outright present yourself as a manufacturer and a business you can actually get fined its the same in all countries with sound business practices
OK, what??? You can present yourself as a startup, entrepreneur, sole trader, or "guy doing initial R&D who might start a business" with zero legal ramifications. You can't present yourself (for example) as a limited liability company, registered company etc. but you do NOT need that to get off the ground.

littlekyro said:
and got a lease on a location you can present your prototype because that is how you establish your case study on said product
Again, what in the hell are you smoking? You don't need a lease on anything and certainly not to "present your prototype".

littlekyro said:
you intend to mass produce
And again - in this market, unless you're intending on going into direct competition with the diaper companies, you're not going to be mass producing anything and will be laughed out of any factory where you describe "mass producing" the low low volume of product you could realistically shift.

littlekyro said:
its effective because then when your prototype succeeds you then can go into full production, a lot here would say you need a prototype first but they don't really know that
OK you're both contradicting yourself and also talking utter bobbins now - you don't produce anything without a prototype or two or ten

littlekyro said:
while that is good and easy you can be fined if you intend to sell or anything like that and call it a business because its unregistered, you could make something and use amazon or ebay but then your just a civil maker not actually a recognised business
Right, we may be approaching very loose contact with some form of reality here but you're still getting this the wrong way round... you can produce & sell stuff no problem, through any number of channels - eBay, etsy, tindie, amazon, whatever... but yes if you claim to be a registered business when you're not you'll get in trouble but that is not the same. You can create a name, a brand, a logo, a website, online shop, etc. without being anything other than a person with a little side-hobby.

littlekyro said:
but if you wanna go legit you'll want a place your business is established and then you'll need it registered,
That place can be your home address or (as my business does) the address of the guy that does the accounts, YOU DO NOT NEED PREMISES especially if you're not making stuff yourself.

I mean, honestly I'm beginning to feel like you're either high or trolling us because there's several of us here with actual business and product development experience and you're ignoring or arguing with what we're trying to tell you.

This reminded me of a South Park episode: the underpants gnomes. They too had 3 steps: collect underpants, ? , profits.

RubberJin said:
OK dude, where the actual f**k have you researched this ass-backwards guide to creating a business because I and a lot of people I know have started businesses and THIS IS NOT HOW YOU DO IT.

OK, what??? You can present yourself as a startup, entrepreneur, sole trader, or "guy doing initial R&D who might start a business" with zero legal ramifications. You can't present yourself (for example) as a limited liability company, registered company etc. but you do NOT need that to get off the ground.

Again, what in the hell are you smoking? You don't need a lease on anything and certainly not to "present your prototype".

And again - in this market, unless you're intending on going into direct competition with the diaper companies, you're not going to be mass producing anything and will be laughed out of any factory where you describe "mass producing" the low low volume of product you could realistically shift.

OK you're both contradicting yourself and also talking utter bobbins now - you don't produce anything without a prototype or two or ten

Right, we may be approaching very loose contact with some form of reality here but you're still getting this the wrong way round... you can produce & sell stuff no problem, through any number of channels - eBay, etsy, tindie, amazon, whatever... but yes if you claim to be a registered business when you're not you'll get in trouble but that is not the same. You can create a name, a brand, a logo, a website, online shop, etc. without being anything other than a person with a little side-hobby.

That place can be your home address or (as my business does) the address of the guy that does the accounts, YOU DO NOT NEED PREMISES especially if you're not making stuff yourself.

I mean, honestly I'm beginning to feel like you're either high or trolling us because there's several of us here with actual business and product development experience and you're ignoring or arguing with what we're trying to tell you.
you have no clue how to start a business obviously there are laws and regulations here in AUSTRAILIA your not going to sucseed unless you have a location of business and a business registration ie LLC or INC. or you will be fined for having an illegal business and this is the same for all countries, half assing something is not the way you do things certainty not here if you try to register an LLC or INC with out a location slated as the premises of your business then they will ask you to secure a location for your business. I am qualified to run a business I know exatly how to start one. the reason for this is because licencing and taxation office, if you have a website that isn't registered to a licenced business then you will eventually be fined and the government will ask you to get LLC or INC registration for your business or you'll be given large fines, likewise if your trying to sell things in a market you'd need a venders licence, the reason is the taxation office need records of your business' taxes and to ensure that fare trade is being done, here in Australia business' have to answer to the ACCC and they do shut down unregistered business' here in the AU due to the fact it is very easy for unfair business practices to take place

RubberJin said:

this is about your case study which means public or community approval from slected members of said community to get something voted and rated ts not a contradiction you took it out of context. you Need to see where the market is at when you present your work. you said you know people who started a business this is no substitute for real experience in starting one

RubberJin said:

no i'm not trolling I don't live in USA I live in Australia we have VERY different business practices and regulations to go by when we start a business it needs to be licenced and registered or the government fines you because its easy for tax avoidance with an unregistered business because it doesn't appear on Tax records. get it! so please don't tell me i'm doing things wrong if you don't know how in my country things are done. your better off being quiet and just viewing this thread and not responding because you are not helping in any way

Last edited:
littlekyro said:
you'll find it by researching how to start a business obviously you'll need to the funds but to start up a business you first need to get all your eggs in a basket first which means you'll need to have registered your business beforehand otherwise if you outright present yourself as a manufacturer and a business you can actually get fined its the same in all countries with sound business practices, when you have that and got a lease on a location you can present your prototype because that is how you establish your case study on said product you intend to mass produce, its effective because then when your prototype succeeds you then can go into full production, a lot here would say you need a prototype first but they don't really know that, while that is good and easy you can be fined if you intend to sell or anything like that and call it a business because its unregistered, you could make something and use amazon or ebay but then your just a civil maker not actually a recognised business, but if you wanna go legit you'll want a place your business is established and then you'll need it registered, especially since your business is within the commerce line even if for a niche group, if your selling at a market then its not classified as a business but you'll be labled as a market goods provider, thus you won't have to get a business registered, but for me it's commercial which means I would need to register a business and said business' work place and employ those who can make the prototype first before doing anything else, you can get the prototype made then you'd hold your case study and then mass production if the case study finds your goods worth selling a.

this is all for taxation office records, you see

Hey Littlekyro,

Thanks for explaining to me how you think you should approach your future business. I understand that laws and regulations can be quite different or even unique to Australia, but some of the things that you are saying are so counter intuitive that I have looked at Australia’s regulations myself. Although I can understand how you reached your conclusions on how to start a business, I think you may be taking the regulations too literally. At least I come to a different interpretation than you do.

I am sure you know this website (https://www.business.gov.au/Planning) with great advice and tools on how to do market research before starting your business, how to write a business plan, on how to run business from your home, whether your business qualifies as a hobby or has grown into profit-making which obliges you to register as a company etc.

Regarding the register-as-a-business-before-developing-a-prototype-debate: I think that depends on whether you see your prototype development and testing as a business activity or not. Nobody is stopping you from making an awesome product in the garage without registering as a company.

I am just hoping to prevent you from making very expensive mistakes. The more abdl companies the better, so I really hope you will succeed.

One other advice: it took me four times to read and understand your post because of the lack of interpunction and capitals. If I were to invest in, or buy from someone writing like that, I wouldn’t even consider.

Reactions: RubberJin and Trevor
Makubird said:
I am sure you know this website (https://www.business.gov.au/Planning)
Interesting, their rules look a lot like the UK rules but with slightly different terms - so you can absolutely be a sole trader working from home (very minimal setup and none of the stuff littlekyro was obsessing about) with no problems by the look of it.

RubberJin said:
Interesting, their rules look a lot like the UK rules but with slightly different terms - so you can absolutely be a sole trader working from home (very minimal setup and none of the stuff littlekyro was obsessing about) with no problems by the look of it.
I don't intend it to be small or at home

littlekyro said:
I don't intend it to be small or at home
That's how these kinds of businesses start unless you have a lot of money. (And then even then there's a lot of work to be done before buying a space even if that's the way you're immediately going)

Topex said:
That's how these kinds of businesses start unless you have a lot of money. (And then even then there's a lot of work to be done before buying a space even if that's the way you're immediately going)
buisness start differnt ways some start at home some don't have that luxury, mine doesn't and I have other business plans also

littlekyro said:
buisness start differnt ways some start at home some don't have that luxury, mine doesn't and I have other business plans also
Starting at home isn't a luxury and when you don't have money it's just the reality; you don't really have a choice, especially in this space. Also especially if you don't have the money or experience why are you even considering other business plans and not focusing on one?

Last edited:
Topex said:
Starting at home isn't a luxury and when you don't have money it's just the reality; you don't really have a choice, especially in this space. Also especially if you don't have the money or experience why are you even considering other business plans and not focusing on one?
well don't underestimate the underdog you'll get yourself bitten

littlekyro said:
well don't underestimate the underdog you'll get yourself bitten
Honestly you say so many snarky things like this but you have nothing to back it up and really nothing going for you. I really think you overestimate yourself in this space and what you can do

Topex said:
Honestly you say so many snarky things like this but you have nothing to back it up and really nothing going for you. I really think you overestimate yourself in this space and what you can do
no you underestimate me, I know by abilities and skills, I don't try to bite off more then I can chew, it doesn't matter if I don't do it the norm way as long as I get to the desired end, there is many paths to take to get to that end but its up to me ultimately to chose which path some are easy some are hard

littlekyro said:
no you underestimate me, I know by abilities and skills, I don't try to bite off more then I can chew, it doesn't matter if I don't do it the norm way as long as I get to the desired end, there is many paths to take to get to that end but its up to me ultimately to chose which path some are easy some are hard
Honestly a month of your ramblings I think my appraisal is pretty fair. To summarize:

You can't get investments and aren't willing to put your own money in yet insist that you're going to get a storefront or warehouse.

You don't know the market or have experience with the production or distribution of these products. You don't seem to know the space at all or have any idea how to start a niche business like this.

You can't seem to commit to anything or bring in any reasonable ideas of your own--you don't scream the entrepreneurial spirit by any means.

If I'm wrong, show me, don't just say "no you're wrong" in a lot of words that hold no weight

Topex said:
Honestly a month of your ramblings I think my appraisal is pretty fair. To summarize:

You can't get investments and aren't willing to put your own money in yet insist that you're going to get a storefront or warehouse.

You don't know the market or have experience with the production or distribution of these products. You don't seem to know the space at all or have any idea how to start a niche business like this.

You can't seem to commit to anything or bring in any reasonable ideas of your own--you don't scream the entrepreneurial spirit by any means.

If I'm wrong, show me, don't just say "no you're wrong" in a lot of words that hold no weight
just don't go underestimating people you don't know in real life, you maybe surprised as I said I have another business I intend to start beforehand

Back