Diaper vs Catherization

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOCKMAN

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I tried to do a search on this but did not find anything. Catherization seems unpleasant to say the least and I was wondering if you are going in for surgery (something above the waist) can you request / demand a suitable diaper instead of being catherized? A diaper seems safer than forcing a tube up inside one's urethra.

JOCKMAN said:
I tried to do a search on this but did not find anything. Catherization seems unpleasant to say the least and I was wondering if you are going in for surgery (something above the waist) can you request / demand a suitable diaper instead of being catherized? A diaper seems safer than forcing a tube up inside one's urethra.
As someone in the medical field, typically one is cathed for surgery because it keeps the environment sterile. Anything that may compromise the sterility of the OR can complicate the surgery and the healing process. It is mostly up to the attending/OR staff and caths mean no clean up for them. If you wear a diaper to the surgery and press the issue, you may get away with it. But a cath is standard practice for a reason.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

I just had my prostate removed. Although below the waist, the incisions were above the waist. I had a cath for a week to help the pelvic muscles heal. Antibiotics were given before and after surgery. Now I dribble and wear some sort of protection 24/7. Every situation is different. Ask your doc!

I think depends on the nature of the surgery being undertaken and it's something to discuss with the GP or consultant treating you. If a choice is available I'd certainly favour a diaper as catheters can be a quick way of introducing infection to the bladder if there's a lapse in hygiene standards.

In every surgery I've gone in for, catheters were always used on me. As petpuppyalex mentioned, this is done to help keep the OR as sterile as possible. Catheters and bags are a closed system, while diapers are not. And yes, it makes it easier for them so it's standard practice.

I can say though, the most uncomfortable part of having a catheter, is the placement. Thankfully, when you go into the OR you stay diapered. Once knocked out they take off your diaper and insert it. And sometimes will even remove the catheter once you're in recovery but still haven't woken up.

As the others have said though, you can certainly request not being cathed. The worst that can happen is they insist on it. Or maybe that it at least be taken out before you wake up.

It depends what they are working on. I've had no problem with a diaper when having work done on my head and throat and my foot. I guess other parts might be more of a probem.

Actually, these days most hospitals around here are really trying to cut down on the amount of catheterizations being used.

I've had several surgeries and as far as I know have never been cathed. However, I did have to be straight cathed after one of those because of retention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surgery gets a catheter after your out it goes in and before you wake up it comes out,due to recent data a law was passed requiring catheters be discontinued as soon as medicaly possible becase upwards of 96% hospital aquired infections are thru indwelling catheters ( this is a major issue for hospitals because they don't get paid for making you sick, they dont get reimbursed and can't bill for any medical care they cause you to need).

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Tetra said:
Surgery gets a catheter after your out it goes in and before you wake up it comes out,due to recent data a law was passed requiring catheters be discontinued as soon as medicaly possible becase upwards of 96% hospital aquired infections are thru indwelling catheters ( this is a major issue for hospitals because they don't get paid for making you sick, they dont get reimbursed and can't bill for any medical care they cause you to need).

I believe this is correct. They use a catheter once in the OR, but only IF incontinence problems are suspected, and will remove it after you are out of the OR.

This is why if you go in wearing a diaper you will need ti bring a spare so you can rediaper after you wake up. Or go with a horrible hospital diaper if you dare.

During my last surgery (above wastline) I was told to wear a diaper. I have it listed in my papers that I deal with OAB/urge incontinence. During recovery I briefly remember a nurse checking my diaper and re fastening it again, after she inserted a cath to drain my bladder. Apparently there was residual urine left.....no one ever said anything, but acted professional all the time. I wore an Abena M4 during the surgery as I knew I would wear the diaper for a longer time.

Sendt fra min BTV-W09 med Tapatalk

NotTheAverageMan said:
During my last surgery (above wastline) I was told to wear a diaper. I have it listed in my papers that I deal with OAB/urge incontinence. During recovery I briefly remember a nurse checking my diaper and re fastening it again, after she inserted a cath to drain my bladder. Apparently there was residual urine left.....no one ever said anything, but acted professional all the time. I wore an Abena M4 during the surgery as I knew I would wear the diaper for a longer time.

That's interesting. You come out of the surgery with the same diaper on? I've had several dozen surgeries and never once was I left in the same diaper I went in with.

I myself am getting ready for surgery in a week or so, and I am planning on wearing per the nurses request. Have had quite the discussion here: on the topic some interesting feedback https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/110897-Upcoming-Surgery-I-lied

Slomo said:
That's interesting. You come out of the surgery with the same diaper on? I've had several dozen surgeries and never once was I left in the same diaper I went in with.

That's interesting. You've gone in with a diaper, but come out in a different one or not and one at all? What were these surgeries for if I might ask? How long were they do you know?

cm90210 said:
I myself am getting ready for surgery in a week or so, and I am planning on wearing per the nurses request. Have had quite the discussion here: on the topic some interesting feedback https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/110897-Upcoming-Surgery-I-lied

That's interesting. You've gone in with a diaper, but come out in a different one or not and one at all? What were these surgeries for if I might ask? How long were they do you know?

Yup, that's right. One early knee surgery was done in Detroit Michigan, but all the rest were done in the north-east Florida region (except for two in the mid-west FL region via the VA in Gainesville). Of the three dozen-ish total I've been through, I'd say roughly about 1/3 being done by the military treatment facilities (on base), 1/3 by the VA, and 1/3 as in-town out-patient (yeah, I get around). Lets see... Four or five were focused on my knees (really common) and three more on my left leg alone (which i very nearly lost). Three more were for a severely deviated septum and chronic allergies. At least a few more for other "miscellaneous" or minor surgeries like tonsillectomy, wisdom teeth, and such. And probably about 12+ more all directly related to urinary incontinence or trying to "fix/cure" it at least.

Not sure of the exact number any more, I've seriously lost count. Some lasted for no more than an hour, while others lasted for "marathon" 8+ hours where I was told all the nurses actually changed out. Two even went overnight a couple times due to me dying on the OR table once (I'm better now though), and starting at about 10pm-ish from direct admitting after an ER visit. EVERY time I went into the ER well diapered and either came out with a catheter (or just had it removed and was on a bed pad), or had a cheap hospital diaper on.

Of course, my original question still hasn't been answered. I'm guessing though, in at least some cases it seems they just leave your same diaper on in and after the OR. That's news to me.

A known side effect of all anesthesia for surgery is both incontinence and retention it will be in the fine print of any surgery paperwork ,even perfectly continent people can lose it when getting knocked out , and if you ever pay attention even in out patient day surgery you dont "graduate" recovery until you tap a kidney and the nurse verifies it , this is one benefit incontinence has even if your system "hiccups" and retains urine youll just wet yourself later than usual and either way the "proof is in the padding" , for a recovery room nurse IC patients are great because there is no "maybe I can go" trips to the bathroom ,you will leak as soon as your body is ready no lines, no waiting just take a look at the wetness indicator when ever you asses the patient status ,its like the thanksgiving turkey you know its ready when it says its ready by the red flag going up ,or the wetness indicator droping a dime to the nurse.
So just as N & V and delirium from anesthesia are common so is tempoary IC / retention,most people are under the impression that anesthesia is like going to sleep when its a lot bigger deal than going to sleep.

Tetra said:
A known side effect of all anesthesia for surgery is both incontinence and retention it will be in the fine print of any surgery paperwork ,even perfectly continent people can lose it when getting knocked out , and if you ever pay attention even in out patient day surgery you dont "graduate" recovery until you tap a kidney and the nurse verifies it , this is one benefit incontinence has even if your system "hiccups" and retains urine youll just wet yourself later than usual and either way the "proof is in the padding" , for a recovery room nurse IC patients are great because there is no "maybe I can go" trips to the bathroom ,you will leak as soon as your body is ready no lines, no waiting just take a look at the wetness indicator when ever you asses the patient status ,its like the thanksgiving turkey you know its ready when it says its ready by the red flag going up ,or the wetness indicator droping a dime to the nurse.
So just as N & V and delirium from anesthesia are common so is tempoary IC / retention,most people are under the impression that anesthesia is like going to sleep when its a lot bigger deal than going to sleep.

Huh.

I have only ever heard of retention as a common side effect to anesthesia. Do you have some other inside information here?

Tetra said:

Tetra, no offense but may I suggest the use of periods. That is one huge run-on sentence, and it makes it difficult to read.

Well before surgery I changed into a new dry diaper. My surgery was supposed to take one or two hours, manboobs. However the hospital where I was getting the surgery did not have adult diapers so they asked me to bring with me what I needed and to wear one during surgery. In the recovering when they checked my diaper among other things, apparently my diaper was dry so they did an ultrasound on my bladder and that showed my bladder was paralyzed from anaesthesia, so I was cathed and the nurse retaped my diaper on me afterwards....later I was glad I had the diaper on, since my bladder resumed normal operations soon after.....

Thanks for the great replies / information gang! Several of you hit upon several areas I did not consider previously. Good responses to know.

NotTheAverageMan said:
Well before surgery I changed into a new dry diaper. My surgery was supposed to take one or two hours, manboobs. However the hospital where I was getting the surgery did not have adult diapers so they asked me to bring with me what I needed and to wear one during surgery. In the recovering when they checked my diaper among other things, apparently my diaper was dry so they did an ultrasound on my bladder and that showed my bladder was paralyzed from anaesthesia, so I was cathed and the nurse retaped my diaper on me afterwards....later I was glad I had the diaper on, since my bladder resumed normal operations soon after.....

Wait, what professional hospital doesn't have adult diapers on hand? Glad you brought your own though, theirs would have sucked anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back