The word "nappy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Us Brits wear nappies or as the medical profession insist on calling them slips or pads.

ST50 said:
Us Brits wear nappies or as the medical profession insist on calling them slips or pads.

Actually, the term "slips" is a bit intriguing to me. Where in the world does that one come from? Or rather, how did it become a term for diapers?

Llayden said:
Actually, the term "slips" is a bit intriguing to me. Where in the world does that one come from? Or rather, how did it become a term for diapers?

No idea but tena maxi slips are just disposable nappies by another name.

Speaking as a Brit... i don't really like the word Nappy and i generally use the word Diaper when talking about a Diaper (see just done it )

However a Dummy is a Dummy not a pacifier...

A Biscuit is also not a cookie unless it is a cookie (with chocolate chips)

just my opinion...

also pants are underwear not trousers... :biggrin:

ST50 said:
No idea but tena maxi slips are just disposable nappies by another name.

Right, but I have never heard anyone refer to a diaper as a slip. I've never read anything using the word slip instead of diaper/nappy. I've only ever seen it on diaper packaging.

To be honest, the word "diaper" turns me on. Nappy doesn't do it for me, but having grown up in the U. S., I was unfamiliar with the term nappy until I came on this site. I enjoy reading stories that use the word diaper, and I've used that word plenty of times in my stories.

It feels inorganic to me - and I grew up in a country that used "nappy" - but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that American usage predominates. We all call them "diapers" here no matter where we come from. You never hear the kink referred to as AB/NL (Adult Baby/Netherlands?)

When I hear "nappy", I don't really think anything of it other than "This person must be British". As for the word "diaper", I don't really think anything of it. I will admit it's a little jarring to hear people who aren't ABDLs say it since I very rarely hear the word outside the ABDL community, but for the most part, I just associate the word diaper with...well, diapers. I will admit that I am amused when people try and hide the idea that they're selling diapers by calling them "Incontinent Pads" or "Night Time Briefs". Just cut the coded words and call them what they are. =)

Onto the topic of other British words discussed in this thread, I'm sorry, but cookies are not biscuits and I can never think of them as such. We have biscuits over here in America. They're flaky fluffy dinner appetizers that come with gravy. Not cookies. If biscuits are cookies, then I'm not sure what you Brits would call a real biscuit. ;)

Kaliborio said:
....You never hear the kink referred to as AB/NL (Adult Baby/Netherlands?)

Bravo!

Still prefer Nappy but Kaliborio could win any argument on this with the above.

I like the word diaper, like, 'cause everything that is in the 'diaper' section is for all intents and purposes a 'diaper'. So everything is diaper, the labels are merely an illusion to trick silly children into thinking it's something COMPLETELY different! When it's not.

But to each their own, y'know? I never knew what 'nappy' meant for the longest time, first time I ever heard it was in the cartoon Sheep in the Big City. <.<

Diaper or Nappy: Pacifier or Dummy: etc

Neither term bothers me. I switch between using them on ADISC depending on who I am responding to. For any post I am starting or in my normal conversations, it is diapers as I was born and raised in the US. Like dogboy, I never heard of dummy or nappies until I join ADISC.

I'm from the UK so it's nappy, dummy and biscuit for me:smile1:

Reactions: PaddedRita
Does it matter? Its your personal preference connected to the associations you have with it. That connects with your experiences and what you have been through in the past. IMHO Its not like we are writing the dictionary here that the rest of the world has to adhere to :)

I personally prefer the N word and if I was in a relationship that permitted these things I would rather my partner used it. But whatever. Its up to you and your relationship.

I find it so funny when people from us and uk are annoyed about words the other country is using. So silly.. I personally used diaper before coz it seems to be more used around world. Nappy sounds more babyish and that might be also reason why i didnt like to use that before as i didnt get the ab side of this fetish. Now im using more word nappy, maybe coz my husband is ab and from uk. Personally i dont really care too much which words im using, english is second language for me and before i met my husband i didnt even know which words are british and which not. In here the spoken english seems to be more like american english, maybe coz of all the tv programs.

NenaNena said:
I find it so funny when people from us and uk are annoyed about words the other country is using. So silly.. I personally used diaper before coz it seems to be more used around world. Nappy sounds more babyish and that might be also reason why i didnt like to use that before as i didnt get the ab side of this fetish. Now im using more word nappy, maybe coz my husband is ab and from uk. Personally i dont really care too much which words im using, english is second language for me and before i met my husband i didnt even know which words are british and which not. In here the spoken english seems to be more like american english, maybe coz of all the tv programs.

how did you find your partner?

Gsmax said:
Onto the topic of other British words discussed in this thread, I'm sorry, but cookies are not biscuits and I can never think of them as such. We have biscuits over here in America. They're flaky fluffy dinner appetizers that come with gravy. Not cookies. If biscuits are cookies, then I'm not sure what you Brits would call a real biscuit. ;)

Interestingly cookies are used quite a lot here too - as biscuits are probably more specifically British-style biscuits - like digestives, ginger biscuits, bourbons etc. More American-style "biscuits" are often called cookies.

Our word for American biscuits is scone - but ours are mostly sweetened and we have them with strawberry jam, clotted cream or butter rather than with gravy.
So actually we would call them savoury scones.

Well you did ask :)

i used to cringe at 'nappy' and when i came online, 'diaper' was easier to use and everybody else was using it.
nowadays, i'm not bothered by 'nappy' and i find it's helpful for making the distinction between dispies and/or american-style diapers and terry-towelling nappies (for me, 'diaper' doesn't have any real association other than with 'disposable diaper').

Pinguinito said:
....Our word for American biscuits is scone - but ours are mostly sweetened and we have them with strawberry jam, clotted cream or butter rather than with gravy.
So actually we would call them savoury scones.

Well you did ask :)

Nothing finer than a Cream Tea in the Cotswolds with home made jam and clotted cream..... Nothing finer except while enjoying it in a comfy Nappy. ;)

Argent said:
Nothing finer than a Cream Tea in the Cotswolds with home made jam and clotted cream..... Nothing finer except while enjoying it in a comfy Nappy. ;)

Eating cream tea in a sunny garden in the Cotswolds (or anywhere nice really) while wearing a nappy would be amazing :)

It is I can recommend it to anyone. Being incontinent I am always in nappies but I don't let it stop me enjoying life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back