Windows 10 users: is anyone else holding out on upgrading to 11?

Chimera

watch out for my grabby paws!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Little
Feels kind of weird this year, a lot of my friends are finally upgrading from 10 to 11. A few of them even claim that games run better on 11, but I'm hesitant to believe that's true since both 10 and 11 both support DirectX 12 (maybe there is more to it than that?)

I don't know...maybe I feel salty about Microsoft claiming back in 2015 that Windows 10 would be the last version of Windows ever made, and that going foward, the windows OS would be run as a service indefinitely. Yet here we are 7 years later, 11 is the new OS we must eventually accept by 2025 and judging by the name, we will see a Windows 12 someday? Ugh. If they would of named it Windows infinite, I guess that would tell a different story.

I understand that upgrading a Windows OS is much easier than it used to be (shoutout to anybody who tried upgrading from XP to Vista way back in the day) but in my experience, something always inevitably goes wrong or something breaks during the upgrade.

Are you on Windows 11 yet? Are you sticking with Windows 10 as long as possible? Let me know. Me personally, I have Windows 10 installed under legacy BIOS on my desktop pc, so I would have to convert it into UEFI to upgrade. I think I might stick it out for another year and upgrade in 2024... Because it works, why fix it right? My gaming laptop unfortunately has a 7th gen Intel processor, so after support ends for Windows 10, I might have to throw a Linux distro on it since it doesn't support the new TPM technology. Unfortunate, but that laptop is getting pretty old, even though it's gtx 1080 still holds its own today.

This Dino is sticking to W10.

I upgraded just to get it over with, but it really doesn't matter because I still use Linux most of the time. Or almost all of the time. I haven't booted windows in months. I should just to update it.
The UEFI conversion was a lot easier than I thought it would be. (using windows drive from the old PC)

Last edited:
Nah, I'm sticking with MacOS.

Reactions: Labrador
Sticking with 10.. oh how cute someone said Mac...guess you don't game ? Oh well to each their own I suppose. The op asked a question about windows......pretty obvious there bud 😉

yes and I am ticked
I built a fairly nice custom system back in 2019 because they said windows 10 was going to be the last OS and basically be a service with updates
not 6-9 months later they say 11 is comming. Of course my system does not pass the win11 compatibility test 😡

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Jonnythepony, Zeke and Angelapinks
I would like to but my laptop isn’t upgrade compatible and I am not needing a new laptop. It will have to wait.

Reactions: Jonnythepony
I’m still sticking with Windows 10 for the time being. I use an older Mac (2017 version) that is running Oracle’s virtualbox 7. I could technically enable TPM 2.0 within the virtual machine and do the upgrade, but from what I’ve read it is still buggy. I have read that error messages and Black Screens are still common especially on older hardware (even in a virtual machine).

Last edited:
Raven801 said:
Sticking with 10.. oh how cute someone said Mac...guess you don't game ? Oh well to each their own I suppose. The op asked a question about windows......pretty obvious there bud 😉
Without getting political, I don't think people mean to point it out in some personal offensive way. They just don't like microsoft.
It's actually kinda weird how Mac isn't better at gaming than it actually is. Linux is ahead of Mac. They're similar, at least on a basic level. Valve had a Proton project for Mac too, but it ended, and I don't know why. There are still some games that don't work on Linux, but not very many. Windows kind of sucks, but it has great compatibility with things, and it's easy to use (except for having to manually install almost every single program and sometimes manually update with new installers)

SparkyDog said:
yes and I am ticked
I built a fairly nice custom system back in 2019 because they said windows 10 was going to be the last OS and basically be a service with updates
not 6-9 months later they say 11 is comming. Of course my system does not pass the win11 compatibility test 😡
I have an HP computer that is almost 9 years old and running Windows 8. I can't upgrade to 10 or 11 as it is not compatible with either so now I need to shop.

• Sad
Reactions: Zeke and ShippoFox
I did a few days ago. It's okay for what it is, not the best but not the worst thing ever. At least it's not as bad as Windows 8 and Vista.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonnythepony, Zeke and Angelapinks
SparkyDog said:
yes and I am ticked
Maybe failing the win11 compatibility test is a plus

Reactions: SparkyDog, Jonnythepony and Angelapinks
I’ve got Windows 10 on my laptop, but I’ve got a copy of Windows 7 for a machine that I built that I’ve been procrastinating in finishing up with loading the operating system. It should be fast and it will probably be the last machine that I build. It’s set up with (4) RAID controlled 500 GB hard drives, but I’m having a hard time getting excited about it anymore. I’m seriously thinking it’s time to go to Apple after having such a good experience with my iPhones and such a history of lousy experiences with Microsoft. The few MS products that I liked were from way back and included NT, XP, and Windows 7. Windows 10 has been tolerable. Part of my attitude comes from being one of those who got stuck with Windows ME on a new HP laptop and when it failed and was replaced by HP its replacement came with Vista which added insult to injury. I didn’t get burned with Windows 8, or any of its iterations, but I had friends that left PC’s for Apple just because of that piece of crap programming. In fact many figure that MS was forced by PC manufacturers into giving away Windows 10 just because of the hatred customers had for Windows 8 and its upgrades and what it had done to their sales. When I was building and selling machines in the ‘90s I hated Apple because they were so proprietary and upgrading was so difficult and expensive. But with memory and storage prices being so low that you can order a machine with everything you want for a reasonable price I may buy a new Mac Minnie with a M2 Pro chipset and be done with Microsoft forever.

Reactions: Angelapinks
I'm still running win7 on one pc and XP on the other so i will definitely be holding on win11 for a while.

Reactions: treehopper, Jonnythepony and Zeke
I've got Windows 10 on my desktop, it only needs to get DX12 to upgrade to Win11, but I have to find a processor that has that, my Intel i3 won't cut it.
My laptop does have Windows 11, but the type it is, I can't change the video card to add more Ghz or RAM, & has abysmal storage space, but it's great for RetroArch & GZDOOM, maybe I'll add Dolphin to it if I can find some GameCube & Wii roms & an SSD drive at a good price later.

Neither i am a linux guy now

Reactions: treehopper, ShippoFox and Zeke
I have an old Windows 8 desktop that has been upgraded to Windows 10, something Microsoft forced on everyone I believe. I keep getting notices from McAfee that my registry is full and of course they would like to sell me an upgrade that would take care of it. Since my computer is old, I'm thinking of just buying a new computer that has Windows 11 installed, but I'm in no rush since my computer though slow, works okay.

Reactions: SAPexpanded, KittyninjaW, treehopper and 1 other person
ShippoFox said:
Without getting political, I don't think people mean to point it out in some personal offensive way. They just don't like microsoft.
It's actually kinda weird how Mac isn't better at gaming than it actually is. Linux is ahead of Mac. They're similar, at least on a basic level. Valve had a Proton project for Mac too, but it ended, and I don't know why. There are still some games that don't work on Linux, but not very many. Windows kind of sucks, but it has great compatibility with things, and it's easy to use (except for having to manually install almost every single program and sometimes manually update with new installers)
The crazy part is that Linux would be more compatible with more modern games, but it is my understanding that what usually breaks them under proton is the anticheat software most of the time. So if you mainly play single player games or a multiplayer game with anticheat software, Linux will definitely work for those gamers.

Funny enough, I have an online friend who back in the late 00s' was a big fan of Windows and loved to make fun of Mac like the rest of us, with most of us being at the tail end of high school. But after he went to Uni for programming and software engineering, he quickly learned the benefits of doing his programming job under Mac, so Windows 8 was the last version of Windows he ever ran. He didn't really play PC games all that much anymore, so that part didn't really matter to him. Fact is, the Mac OS is great for programmers, content creators, and people who make music. I honestly impressed how great the in-house Apple CPUs actually are.

But my most major problem with Mac is how far they go out of their way to make their macbooks as tough to repair yourself as possible. Louis Rossmann talked on his YouTube channel about how he started his business from doing macbook screen repairs right in public parks in New York, back when screen replacements on a mac were just as easy as on a laptop running Windows. And he said that if Macbooks were as tough to repair back then as they are today, it would of been much harder to get to where he is today. But that really is my biggest gripe about Mac, everything else besides gaming compatibility makes them an great choice

Last edited:
Zeke said:
I’ve got Windows 10 on my laptop, but I’ve got a copy of Windows 7 for a machine that I built that I’ve been procrastinating in finishing up with loading the operating system. It should be fast and it will probably be the last machine that I build. It’s set up with (4) RAID controlled 500 GB hard drives, but I’m having a hard time getting excited about it anymore. I’m seriously thinking it’s time to go to Apple after having such a good experience with my iPhones and such a history of lousy experiences with Microsoft. The few MS products that I liked were from way back and included NT, XP, and Windows 7. Windows 10 has been tolerable. Part of my attitude comes from being one of those who got stuck with Windows ME on a new HP laptop and when it failed and was replaced by HP its replacement came with Vista which added insult to injury. I didn’t get burned with Windows 8, or any of its iterations, but I had friends that left PC’s for Apple just because of that piece of crap programming. In fact many figure that MS was forced by PC manufacturers into giving away Windows 10 just because of the hatred customers had for Windows 8 and its upgrades and what it had done to their sales. When I was building and selling machines in the ‘90s I hated Apple because they were so proprietary and upgrading was so difficult and expensive. But with memory and storage prices being so low that you can order a machine with everything you want for a reasonable price I may buy a new Mac Minnie with a M2 Pro chipset and be done with Microsoft forever.
Yep, Win8 was a total abortion right from the start. Many 7 users love that OS and seem reluctant to upgrade. Win10 isnt too bad if you have a machine that will support it's hoggish nature. Micro-clown software developers seem to be brain dead on what the customer really wants. Just ought to admit defeat and shut down.

Reactions: KittyninjaW and Zeke
for me I recently rebuilt my computer but I think I'm still using a older CPU architecture I am using LGA 1151 anyway I did the windows 11 install just to get it over and done, However I really don't like microsoft anymore because all the junk apps they put in with a clean install and all the cloud shit ( sorry for my language) becasue in a business nobody will ever touch those built in apps so what is the point even from a home user standpoint. like me I don't do heavy stuff on my computer I just do email internet movies that's it. I think that with all the bad stuff people are saying about windows 10 and 11 they should just go back to 7 and xp you can do all the stuff that i mentioned above before all the cloud stuff. and when windows 10 and 11 act up there is no way to tell why. sorry for the rant but that is how i feel if I could I would like to switch to mac.

Reactions: ShippoFox and Angelapinks
Back