Windows 10 users: is anyone else holding out on upgrading to 11?

My computer decided to make the swap on its own accord last year. I was fine on 10 but there isnt much difference between 10 and 11 save for some ui tweaks. Maybe some funtions have changed a little bit. However as far as gaming is concerned. There is almost no difference, neighther worse or better perofrmance.

I got a new PC that already had it installed, but my laptop has 10 still.

Chimera said:
The crazy part is that Linux would be more compatible with more modern games, but it is my understanding that what usually breaks them under proton is the anticheat software most of the time. So if you mainly play single player games or a multiplayer game with anticheat software, Linux will definitely work for those gamers.
I think you made a typo, but yep. Linux can run most things. and anticheat is usually a big problem why some things can't run, here and there. luckily, (almost) all of the things I play/use work on linux.

quietcutie said:
My computer decided to make the swap on its own accord last year. I was fine on 10 but there isnt much difference between 10 and 11 save for some ui tweaks. Maybe some funtions have changed a little bit. However as far as gaming is concerned. There is almost no difference, neighther worse or better perofrmance.
H.P. told me that Win. 10 was on it's way out at the end of next year and I did not have enough space on my PC for either 10 or 11 so I need a new one.

Forced to use Win10 at work and honestly I'm beyond caring about operating systems or arguing about them as long as they work - which Windows pretty consistently f***ing doesn't :mad:

Feels like they peaked sometime about WinXP and it's been a downhill slide ever since driven by the marketing department and trying desperately to push people to subscription services and data-mine everything you do. It's an OS, it's supposed to make my computer work for me and get the hell out of my way.

Office & outlook are also a shit-show for something that's been around for 25+ years, somehow they just get more irritating to use every time.

On every other machine in my life I've been daily-driving Linux (mainly Mint) for 10+ years and it's been pretty flawless and low friction.

Reactions: AJFan2020 and ShippoFox
I bought a new laptop last month. It came already running Windows 11.

Angelapinks said:
H.P. told me that Win. 10 was on it's way out at the end of next year and I did not have enough space on my PC for either 10 or 11 so I need a new one.
If lack of flash drive space or hard drive space is the only thing preventing you from running Windows 10 then you can probably upgrade the storage to a larger flash drive and at least upgrade to Windows 10. Then you should be good until at least October 2024 (or possibly even October 2025) when Windows 10 support ends. If you have a Staples or a Best Buy near you then you might be able to keep using your current system for another year or two (after they upgrade it). Upgrades like this are usually cheaper than buying a whole new system and many (if not most) systems can be upgraded to some extent.

A very small number of systems have SSD storage soldered right onto the motherboard and (like an iPad) are not upgradable.
This is mostly true of some Windows Tablets. Your typical desktop or laptop is usually upgradable to some degree even if you have already upgraded to the maximum amount of RAM.

If you take your computer to either Staples or Best Buy they should be able to tell you if your system can be upgraded enough to run at least Windows 10.

Reactions: Angelapinks
I have found that if your don't use your PC for gaming, Linux is more then enough for most people. That being said I got a steam deck last year, I gotta say. I think Linux is good enough at gaming now that I can ditch windows all together!

My desktop computer is new enough that it has a tpm switch in the bios that I can switch on if I want to upgrade to windows 11. However I think I'm going to give Linux a shot on my desktop when windows 10 stops getting updates on 2025. If I can't stand it I can always change the bios seting and install windows 11.

Reactions: Chimera
linux

Reactions: ShippoFox
I also have Win11 on my laptop, but I don't use it. Only Linux. I've considered deleting Win11 from it completely to save space.

redsan said:
Nah, I'm sticking with MacOS.
I use a max myself, but don’t do much gaming. I write a newsletter as a hobby, and I LOVE Pages, lots of easy to use options for layout. We have Windows 10 at work though so it has its upside.

Last edited:
Labrador said:
I use a max myself, but don’t do much gaming. I write a newsletter as a hobby, and I LOVE Pages, lots of easy to use options for layout. We have Windows 10 at work though so it has its upside.
I mean recently in the nivida drivers have been made open source

I plan on sticking with Windows 10 on my main desktop until the end of support. I just prefer 10's interface over 11 personally. It meets the arbitrary requirements, but I feel little reason to update. My laptop I do have on 11, mainly so I can be used to it, but I'm kinda whatever on it. I'm fairly young (I cannot remember ever using anything older than XP in my childhood) and even I think the older versions are better in terms of UI. I'd probably still have 7 on my second main desktop (which cant officially run 11) if programs weren't killing off support for it.

Reactions: Angelapinks
Weatheronthe8s said:
I plan on sticking with Windows 10 on my main desktop until the end of support. I just prefer 10's interface over 11 personally. It meets the arbitrary requirements, but I feel little reason to update. My laptop I do have on 11, mainly so I can be used to it, but I'm kinda whatever on it. I'm fairly young (I cannot remember ever using anything older than XP in my childhood) and even I think the older versions are better in terms of UI. I'd probably still have 7 on my second main desktop (which cant officially run 11) if programs weren't killing off support for it.
I read your profile and I know where you are coming from being Trans. My whole life I tried to deal with it and when I was in my early teens I tried to get my parents to understand why I preferred to hang with the girls an try on their clothes. I was caught several times when I was young wearing my sisters clothes and she and I played together a lot growing up as well as her friends sometimes until their parents put a stop to that. I my parents just threatened to put me in an Institution if I didn't stop the nonsence.

• Wow
Reactions: Weatheronthe8s
My personal laptop is already running Windows 11 after it bugged me countless times for me to upgrade from 10. However, I'm going to wait to get a new desktop so it could have Windows 11 preinstalled, or at least I get installed with its TPM enabled motherboard. That will probably happen once support for Windows 10 ends in late 2025.

Last edited:
I have yet to see anything new they have brought to the table. I have had to use on a newer laptop I was working, and a few desktop PC. From easy of use its really stream lined and in my opinion they tried too hard to make it look and feel like a table. Much like the surface line that started catching air about '08. To me the person who has to work on them I strongly dislike it cause they had to go and move things in the filing system and got hid of control panel all together. Not to mention TPM and you have to write the os in UEFi, thats if you computer fails for any reason good luck getting your data. If you pull the drive and put it into another computer and try to boot it noting will happen and you risk the complete loss of your data. Plus buy a computer with windows 11 on it what is there also?

Labrador said:
I don’t game on PC either. I use Mac for personal and work. I mostly use Word, Photo Mechanic, Photoshop, Premier, and email for work.

RubberJin said:
Forced to use Win10 at work and honestly I'm beyond caring about operating systems or arguing about them as long as they work - which Windows pretty consistently f***ing doesn't :mad:

Feels like they peaked sometime about WinXP and it's been a downhill slide ever since driven by the marketing department and trying desperately to push people to subscription services and data-mine everything you do. It's an OS, it's supposed to make my computer work for me and get the hell out of my way.

Office & outlook are also a shit-show for something that's been around for 25+ years, somehow they just get more irritating to use every time.

On every other machine in my life I've been daily-driving Linux (mainly Mint) for 10+ years and it's been pretty flawless and low friction.
3DD24E13-0AE2-4B0E-9B74-6D72A7C7FF4A.jpeg

I’m very hesitant to upgrade because I don’t want to have to go through and change all the default “features” and settings that are really annoying.
Once my i9 breaks itself or something major goes wrong I will hopefully nit have it somehow auto-upgrade.

Families laptop auto-upgraded and there was a lot of issues with doubling up files which was a big headache having to fix all that. I would get used to the layout eventually but I do miss vista visuals strangely.

Weatheronthe8s said:
I can relate to what you are saying, because I do prefer 10's interface. In an effort to make Windows more tablet/touchscreen friendly, they are kind of making it worse for those of us who still use traditional mouse and keyboard. They're also changing things around that don't need changing, like the control panel. I also really liked Windows 7. As a millennial born in '91, I believe it was the best Windows OS ever made. I think they hit the nail right on the head on interface. A lot of people my age look back fondly on Windows XP, but I often think they forget how buggy XP was before Service Pack 1 came out. I've had experience in pretty much all Windows operating systems from Windows 95 to now, except for Windows 8, which was basically a useless Windows since 10 came out not too long after ("The last version of Windows" haha, very funny Microsoft) Like I said in my original post, I will probably stick with Windows 10 for another year or so, since we will continue to receive security patches until October 2025, there really is no rush. That's 2 and a half years away...and who knows? If Windows 11 doesn't gain enough market share by then, Microsoft might decide to support Windows 10 for longer, but I certainly won't count on that happening.

Lilsilverdragon said:
I have yet to see anything new they have brought to the table. I have had to use on a newer laptop I was working, and a few desktop PC. From easy of use its really stream lined and in my opinion they tried too hard to make it look and feel like a table. Much like the surface line that started catching air about '08. To me the person who has to work on them I strongly dislike it cause they had to go and move things in the filing system and got hid of control panel all together. Not to mention TPM and you have to write the os in UEFi, thats if you computer fails for any reason good luck getting your data. If you pull the drive and put it into another computer and try to boot it noting will happen and you risk the complete loss of your data. Plus buy a computer with windows 11 on it what is there also?
Complete loss of data? really? That is very concerning for sure. I figured data was always easily recoverable, whether it is legacy or UEFI bios... unless you use bitlocker and don't save your encryption key...then yeah, you're definitely SOL.

Back