When you go to a grocery store, do you 'inconspicuously' sneak a peak at the baby section?

Out of all honesty, yeah but it’s more of an inconspicuous glance as I don’t think my anxiety would let me look for too long…

I used to; now I just stand there and stare.

• Wow
Reactions: longallsboy
Absolutely. Almost every single time I am in a store of any kind. Especially when I am driving through a small town and I have stopped at a convenience store that has clearly been there for quite some time... Usually In the pursuit of any vintage/plastic backed diapers I can get my hands on.

• Haha
Reactions: longallsboy
Frungie said:
I can't say I am inconspicuous, just a normal walk down the baby isle. Where else can I buy baby powder, baby lotion, baby oil, and even on occasion baby cloth diapers that I sometimes use as boosters in my disposable diapers?
I always use Aveeno baby lotion and Johnson's baby soap so yeah, I'll walk down the baby aisle to purchase those items. I've often wondered what the cashiers think because over the years, I've developed a nice relationship with several of the regulars and they are very friendly with me.

So really it just depends on what I'm doing at the moment. Although I glanced at it a lot and walk through the baby isle. Wishing that I could be once again 3 years old in a diaper!

I go down that isle a lot to get wipes, baby oil, baby powder, baby wash, and baby lotion (all of it with the relaxing lavender and chamomile smell) to use for my diapers. Sometimes I buy a box of size 6 pampers to use as a booster inside my Tena XL Super absorbent tabbed diapers. Baby isle is where it's at for me.

Reactions: dogboy
I like looking at children's toys, and children's books; I'm not so interested in clothes, because I would only envy those that cannot be found in adult sizes.

In Britain, there used to be a shop called Mothercare: some men would be nervous about so much as entering, because of the name.

Reactions: Teddy02
I don't do this so much any more. But back when the baby section still had plastic pants I might had taken a peek or two.

Reactions: dogboy
fakename4me said:
I don't do this so much any more. But back when the baby section still had plastic pants I might had taken a peek or two.
Yeah, I loved it when they had the Gerber baby pants and the cloth baby diapers along with the diaper pins. Now, it's just boxes of Huggies and Pampers. I still enjoy looking at the baby bottles and pacifiers.

i just walk over and take a look, no matter what store i'm in! i like to see what kinds of new products are out and if there's things that i can adapt for adult use, like bottles, if i just replace or modify the nipple, etc. people assume you're just shopping for your own child/a relative, it's not really that weird! it's also just none of their business, but i guarantee you 99.9% of strangers think you're just looking for your own kid or a relative.

Reactions: PrincessOphelie and dogboy
I only do when I am looking for GN's or something. I remember when I was a kid and the diaper isle was more magical.

Sometimes, I wonder if the diaper companies figured out how spell-bounding their isle(s) was and decided to de-perfume the operation.

Reactions: mbta12
I have to say that when I am on my own I do glance at the shelves full of nappies and baby things. I buy baby moisturiser and other ‘crossover’ products. It gives me time to stop and stare.

Sometimes, but I haven’t done this as much lately.

Seabear said:
It’s interesting that the sign at the top says ‘baby nappies’ rather than just ‘nappies’ as though adult nappies are now a more recognised thing so they have the need to specify
Usually the adult products seem to be located on the aisles with the women’s products, the men’s products, or (for some reason) on or near the toothpaste aisle.

I often notice the “Toothpaste and Incontinence” aisle in Giant Eagle and CVS locations.

The baby and toddler products are always in their own separate aisle or section. I sometimes go down this aisle out of necessity because this is the area that sells the baby shampoo (I use this mostly for dandruff in my eyebrows and eyelashes) and for rash creams (that many stores don’t sell on the incontinence aisle). I usually buy either Boudreaux’s Butt Paste or Desitin when I do need to buy rash cream. With the amount of time that has gone by since the effects of passing a kidney stone last May I haven’t been wearing as much so I haven’t been down that aisle quite as often lately.

sbmccue said:
Almost every time I shop! I remember when I was in my late 20s and I was standing in the Safeway baby aisle, staring at boxes of Pampers. A girl I had dated came up behind me and asked me why I was shopping for diapers! I managed to come up with something along the lines of having been sent to buy diapers for my ex who was babysitting. The young lady then offered to help me find the right ones ... proof positive that diaper excuses only dig you more deeply into the hole.
If all else fails you could always say that you are looking for something else like baby shampoo. Adults sometimes use this for dandruff in their eyebrows and eyelashes. I sometimes use baby shampoo for this.

mightytoddler said:
I’m glad they’ve finally started making flushable wipes . We buy a big box of them and of course I’m looking around me especially the Target store . Allll the cute carriages and playpens I start imagining making them for us littles . The diapers are all to small anyway so I don’t look at them but the sippy cups , binkys , toys plushes yup it’s overwhelming in a good way 🥰
From what I have read flushable wipes are not actually flushable. They clog the toilet over time.

Reactions: MiddleJacob
I do, but I always shop with my girlfriend.

She sees me looking at baby powder and usually says something along the lines of "NO, buy that on your own time!"

Fair enough, I will and do

Reactions: PrincessOphelie
I cannot help but go through the baby section anytime I go to the supermarket 🍼. I usually spend a couple of minutes there watching baby bottle, diapers and baby food.

I do, sometimes...

Reactions: AJFan2020
dogboy said:
I always use Aveeno baby lotion and Johnson's baby soap so yeah, I'll walk down the baby aisle to purchase those items. I've often wondered what the cashiers think because over the years, I've developed a nice relationship with several of the regulars and they are very friendly with me.
Dr say baby products are better for our skin. If it's gentle for a baby's skin and hair it's better for adults skin and hair Too.

• Thinking
Reactions: AJFan2020 and dogboy
Back