Well THAT was awkward...

Dinotopian2002

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I was outside playing with my dog in the garden yesterday when I sprung a leak. I’m used to these as I’m incontinent, but I normally don’t empty my bladder all at once, and as such most of the time I can manage with a Tena Slip Super (or Flex Super) in the daytime. This time though I soaked my shorts and even my socks, which hasn’t ever happened before. Despite my bladder issues and my need for nappies it’s rare for me to empty my whole bladder in one go without any control at all. The last time it happened in the daytime when I was awake was last November in Cardiff, but I was wearing a BetterDry at the time.

Thankfully no-one saw me as I was at home and I was able to shower and change into a thicker nappy quickly, but it was disappointing. This year had been good for my control up until that point, as I hadn’t had so many big accidents and it hadn’t deteriorated further.

For now I’m treating it as a one-off, rather than a permanent loss of control, but it’s still a mystery why it happened.

But the important thing was my dog didn’t care about it one bit. She has the right perspective. Either way I’m still in nappies 24/7.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Reactions: Diprs2, uknappygirl, FudgedInLuvs and 3 others
It happens to me sometimes without warning. I bent over to get the coal in one day and completely wet my self without any warning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and Angelapinks
I'm sorry your incontinence is being unpredictable. That's one of the most difficult aspects of incontinence to deal with, when an accident or leak suddenly happens. Planning for the unpredictable is hard!

Reactions: Diprs2, uknappygirl and Angelapinks
The unpredictability is what makes it hard. One day I might be dry all day making it to the toilet, then the next I'll stand up and it'll let go. :p

At least doggies are not judgemental. XD She would probably say "Oh well, I pee in the grass all the time! It's nice to have you join in!"

My Basset Hound is always telling on me though, if I have a wetting accident and he's around he has to stick his nose in the air and sniff. XD I'm always like "Don't you go ratting me out you nosy wrinkle!" And he'll start wagging like "Hahah! I know what you did! Give me a cookie an' I won't tell!"

• Haha
Reactions: Diprs2, uknappygirl, CptKirk and 5 others
Yeah That’s the problem with incontinence one day can be a good day the next day you’re wetting it seems every other minute. Couples days ago I was planing wood and just started wetting uncontrollably without any warning I feel your pain and know how you feel
“Breathe Deep, Seek Peace Dinotopian”

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
I was cooking dinner then all of a sudden pressure then flow, glad I was wearing a dry diaper

Reactions: Diprs2 and uknappygirl
unfortunately even the best diapers fail occasionally its all part of dealing with incontinence

Reactions: Diprs2 and Angelapinks
This is why at work I always wear the max protection possible. I don't settle for mid range diapers, because I never know how heavy my voids can get. It gives me peace of mind, even though sometimes I might underuse my proteciton. All that matters is I get through a work night with dry pants and my dignity intact.

Reactions: Diprs2, Seasonedcitizen and Angelapinks
Had a complete bladder emptying accident at my doctor's office just a few days ago. I got up to leave the examination room and with no notice I just started flooding my diaper. I walked all the way to the receptionist desk to make a follow up appointment still peeing and couldn't stop. Fortunately my diaper only leaked a little bit, just a little trickle down my leg. Normally I have some advanced notice before I start and sometimes I can stop once I wet a little. Once in a while I have these types of wetting accidents and can never feel them coming.

What sometimes catches me off guard is how I can flood slowly or have a fire hose pee. A few times I have had a huge full release of my bladder into the diaper. It takes what fees like a full minute, but I have never measured it. It catches me by surprise and my diaper can absorb it all. The worst is the firehose flood. It’s like super fast, I have to stop what I’m doing because it’s so intense and I end up leaking even though half my diaper is totally dry.

Extremely heavy wetting was normal for me for many years, which meant lots of leaks. My last urodynamics study showed a neurogenic bladder with instability near 2 liters, meaning I have no sense of a full bladder and if it hasn't emptied prior to the 2 liter mark it will at 2 liters. Hence the heavy wetting/flooding and leaks. I now practice scheduled voiding and self-catherization to prevent the bladder from exceeding 600mL. (400-500mL is the maximum the bladder holds for a healthy individual.) I'm still dealing with incontinence, but there's fewer awkward moments in my life now.

CheshireCat said:
Extremely heavy wetting was normal for me for many years, which meant lots of leaks. My last urodynamics study showed a neurogenic bladder with instability near 2 liters, meaning I have no sense of a full bladder and if it hasn't emptied prior to the 2 liter mark it will at 2 liters. Hence the heavy wetting/flooding and leaks. I now practice scheduled voiding and self-catherization to prevent the bladder from exceeding 600mL. (400-500mL is the maximum the bladder holds for a healthy individual.) I'm still dealing with incontinence, but there's fewer awkward moments in my life now.
Interesting.. my recent urologsit told me to AVOID cathing in order to not have UTIS. How does your timed voiding schedule work there Cheshire? We seem to be in the same boat.. I dont feel how full I am until im really full, and used to cath so can def relate. What concerns me is with some of my heavy episodes, the urine is approaching an amber color which suggest the urine has been sitting in my bladder for quite a long time.

You can't judge urine retention by color. The color of your pee mostly varies with hydration, and sometimes from meds you've taken or other things the kidneys are eliminating from the body.

Cathing reduces the risk of UTI if you have retention. Intermittent self catheterization carries a much lower risk than an indwelling catheter.

Foley catheters are rarely used for incontinence because of the infection risk.

@SuLiWan Everything stated by @ltaluv is what I have been told by my urologists and agrees with all the research I have done.

I can retain up to 250 mL after voiding, which is the second reason I self-cath.

I'm currently on a schedule of voiding every 1.5 hours during waking hours. I do use a toilet if available, my diaper if a toilet is not available. The issue is to regain/retain bladder tonality. Hyper stretching is not good for the bladder, ureters, or kidneys.

I have a genetic neuromuscular disorder that when triggered causes the kidneys to work excessively to deal with the resulting electrolyte imbalance. This is why I void large volumes on bad days.

I go for a wee then sometimes after 10 minutes go again and then again, sometimes I dont need to go for hours then get a sudden urge and if I don’t find a toilet I wet myself. My biggest frustration is getting up in the middle of night and then again if I don’t move fast enough I leak on the Journey.

Back