Unexpected bowel movement

Msherri1981

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
In the last month this has happened a few times. 2 of the times I was diapered and the other to times I was not. It's where I just need to go and don't have time to get to toilet. Any suggestions

• Sad
Reactions: richieboy, Jorelaxed, HappyCamper and 1 other person
Wear a diaper all the time. It sounds justified at this point.

Reactions: DBabygirl2, Jorelaxed, Zeke and 1 other person
Tundra1975 said:
Wear a diaper all the time. It sounds justified at this point.
I think this is the winner.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Jorelaxed
If this is not normal for you, see a doctor.

Reactions: Deleted member 75413, Edgewater, Deleted member 39574 and 2 others
It's always advisable to consult a doctor when you notice any disturbing change in the way your bowels behave. And it's never "wrong" to wear a diaper, either because you're concerned about an accident or just because you feel like wearing a diaper.

Each of us has the right and the responsibility to make the decisions that work best for us.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Jorelaxed, Edgewater and 3 others
Seeing a Dr. is of course recommended. But in my experience, they seldom have answers for diarrhea (not sure if this was the OP's problem).

I just found out that I now need to take some blood pressure medication that can also cause diarrhea (oh joy!) So while I still have U-IC control except when the bladder is nearly full, the diarrhea is more difficult to shut off. I may have to go back to wearing a daytime brief myself this winter if things don't stabilize.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Edgewater
Seeing your doctor is recommended and wearing a diaper 24/7 may be an option you may want to consider after years of being bladder IC I am now experiencing unexpected bowel movements increasingly episodes both my doctor and urologist did not seem to be concerned so Im guessing its a normal progression in my case.

Its always better to be diapered when it happens but clean up is a pain but manageable, im now starring my 10th year in dealing with Ic issues and my 4th with increasing bowel accidents it really does not bother me any more as long as it stays contained and is not a big cleanup when out and about. I have decided to retire so no more worrying about it happening at work

Reactions: Edgewater and AttilaThePun
UrgentWees said:
If this is not normal for you, see a doctor.
I agree. I developed bowel IC a few years ago and it turned out to be caused by an overactive thyroid problem. I had to start wearing protect 'just in case' of sudden accidents during the day and during the night. I was told when it was diagnosed that it was causing other symptoms I had. Overactive thyroid can be detected by a simple blood test that your doctor can order.

I've been IC since the beginning. When I was young (I'm in the early 30's), BM accidents were irregular. Obviously I wear a diaper all the time so having an event was managed by wearing. Over time my physician directed me to use more fiber and suggested psyllium husk (Metamucil). It seemed to be more regular though I did experience more frequency and volume for BM's. It finally stabilized to the point that it was mostly during sleep. Sometimes it occurred in the early morning but few during the rest of the day. So I rarely had unexpected accidents during the day which
was easier than messing while working or out in public. As an adult I managed my diet and regular workouts. It doesn't help to try using an internal deodorants (like Nullo ot chlorophyll).

Still, if you are loading your diaper unexpectedly, like other posters have said, check-in with your doctor. I've found that you need healthy eating, more fiber and regular physical activity. Because your accidents are unexpected, I would suggest wearing a diaper until the problem stabilized.

Last edited:
slimjiminy said:
Seeing a Dr. is of course recommended. But in my experience, they seldom have answers for diarrhea (not sure if this was the OP's problem).

I just found out that I now need to take some blood pressure medication that can also cause diarrhea (oh joy!) So while I still have U-IC control except when the bladder is nearly full, the diarrhea is more difficult to shut off. I may have to go back to wearing a daytime brief myself this winter if things don't stabilize.
I think a medication meant to lower one's blood pressure but causes the shits is at cross-purposes. I think *my* blood pressure probably would rise if I was stressed out about possibly crapping my pants - and I'm U-IC, so I'm wearing pull-ups or a diaper 24/7 anyway! 🤣

Reactions: Edgewater
AttilaThePun said:
I think a medication meant to lower one's blood pressure but causes the shits is at cross-purposes.
Agreed.
AttilaThePun said:
I think *my* blood pressure probably would rise if I was stressed out about possibly crapping my pants - and I'm U-IC, so I'm wearing pull-ups or a diaper 24/7 anyway! 🤣
The problem with diarrhea is that it is very difficult to contain. It wants to squirt out everywhere it can (especially if you have to sit in it to get home for a cleanup). So a diaper alone is often not enough -- you need plastic pants and even then it can get out. It is one squirrelly mess.

slimjiminy said:
Agreed.

The problem with diarrhea is that it is very difficult to contain. It wants to squirt out everywhere it can (especially if you have to sit in it to get home for a cleanup). So a diaper alone is often not enough -- you need plastic pants and even then it can get out. It is one squirrelly mess.
Whenever I wear cloth diapers, which is at least 95% of the time, I always use a folded terry hand towel as a liner. Terry cloth absorbs amazingly fast which helps if my F-IC happens to be liquidity, but plastic pants are a must when wearing cloth and are often the ultimate savior of the moment when things get runny. So much so that I’ve got cloth contours with fecal stains on the outside from an unusually bad event, but my plastic pants managed to save the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaThePun, Edgewater and slimjiminy
Msherri1981 said:
In the last month this has happened a few times. 2 of the times I was diapered and the other to times I was not. It's where I just need to go and don't have time to get to toilet. Any suggestions
I'd tell the Dr. to prescribe a different med, but ask a lot of questions; most BP meds have side effects and aren't all they are said to be. Been there, I know, so I dont take 'em any more, and control my BP with supplements. Best Wishes

Not attempting to minimize the diarrhea, but four times in a month, separated with time can be caused by a wide cross-section of possible sources, even four different ones! With food poisoning on the increase with less than qualified folks in the kitchens now-a-days. That just added to the confusion.

Yes, you should update your doctor. Yes, move to 24/7 on diapers! But also, start keeping track of what you are eating (and drinking) and when! Charges in diet or an increase in a couple of items can result in a fast acting, race out of your body!

Reactions: HappyCamper, Zeke and AttilaThePun
slimjiminy said:
Agreed.

Your phrase "squirrelly mess" immediately registered in my head as 1) consider cutting down on the amount of squirrel in your diet, and 2) an image of Scrat from Ice Age, very befouled and looking disgusted. My wife often says she's not sure she could handle having a mind that works as strangely as mine - despite her own peculiarities. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: slimjiminy and Edgewater
Edgewater said:
Not attempting to minimize the diarrhea, but four times in a month, separated with time can be caused by a wide cross-section of possible sources, even four different ones! With food poisoning on the increase with less than qualified folks in the kitchens now-a-days. That just added to the confusion.

Yes, you should update your doctor. Yes, move to 24/7 on diapers! But also, start keeping track of what you are eating (and drinking) and when! Charges in diet or an increase in a couple of items can result in a fast acting, race out of your body!
The bacteria phobia leading to nearly every soap, detergent, or cleaning supply being anti-bacterial is weakening our immune systems by removing the bacteria we used to be exposed to day to day. Not only that but these anti-bacterials are killing the beneficial bacteria that are part of our body’s biome and whose numbers exceed the number of cells in our bodies. Sixty plus years ago parents didn’t freak out if they found their babies eating dirt or drinking out of the dog’s dish they just cleaned their hands and carried on. Today they sanitize the dickens out of them and likely take them to their doctor. The smaller amounts of bacteria that we’re exposed to strengthens and prepares our immune system for the more major amounts that we encounter. But when we encounter a strange bacteria from another region, as is common with our imported food supply, one that our system’s not familiar with it leads to the dreaded diarrhea. That’s one of the advantages that I miss of having a garden, knowing where your food comes from, how its been handled, and who’s handled it.

• Wow
Zeke said:
The bacteria phobia leading to nearly every soap, detergent, or cleaning supply being anti-bacterial is weakening our immune systems by removing the bacteria we used to be exposed to day to day. Not only that but these anti-bacterials are killing the beneficial bacteria that are part of our body’s biome and whose numbers exceed the number of cells in our bodies. Sixty plus years ago parents didn’t freak out if they found their babies eating dirt or drinking out of the dog’s dish they just cleaned their hands and carried on. Today they sanitize the dickens out of them and likely take them to their doctor. The smaller amounts of bacteria that we’re exposed to strengthens and prepares our immune system for the more major amounts that we encounter. But when we encounter a strange bacteria from another region, as is common with our imported food supply, one that our system’s not familiar with it leads to the dreaded diarrhea. That’s one of the advantages that I miss of having a garden, knowing where your food comes from, how its been handled, and who’s handled it.
Yup. These days, one need not travel to get the runs from another country.

Reactions: Edgewater and Zeke
Most of my BM'a happen nocturnal. So they aren't actually "unexpected." But during the day (often in the morning), unexpected BM's do occur.
If you are having them frequently, I would suggest use some internal deodorants. If your doctor has ruled out the cause, try to moderate the timing.
I rarely have diarrhea. If you do, perhaps try to increase your fiber take. And adjust your diet.

Im starting to have bowel accidents. Mostly just small amount i'll it see when i change. Yesterday i has a full BM. Glad i was home. I don't like the idea of this going on. I knew it was only a matter of time though.

Msherri1981 said:
Happens to many of us!. Best to keep a nappy on.

Reactions: Edgewater, AttilaThePun and HappyCamper
Back