Transitional Phenomenon/Object

neophyte

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Yes another post, I am very curios and I enjoy the conversations here. I did do a search on ADISC and nothing came up regarding this topic.

I realized today that to me wearing a diaper is equivalent to a toddler walking around with their security blanket or stuffed animal. This understanding can be useful for some DLs when explaining why they are a DL, we didn't attach to a blanket or a stuffed animal... we naturally attached ourselves to our diaper.

I had seen the term Transitional Phenomenon a few times on the webz, but it didn't hit me until today.

Nearly every toddler becomes attached to a stuffed animal and or a "security blanket", I have personally seen it happen to almost every child in my family. Children become so attached to their stuffed bunny or their blanket that to be without it or to lose it would be to lose the world. We've heard stories of a kid losing their stuffed animal in an airport and mothers will go viral trying to find it. Its their phenomenal object that brings them comfort and calm.

I didn't attach myself to a blanket or a stuffed animal as a toddler; I was attached to diapers. I never wanted to get out of diapers, I always wanted to be in a diaper. I was potty trained by 2.5-3 but I always asked to be put in diapers until I was 4 (parents stopped buying them)

Is it possible that many DLs attached themselves to their diaper, rather than a blanket or a stuffed animal?

Did you have an attachment object that you can remember when you were a baby/toddler?

This phenomenon happens to a child in infancy.

This is about the baby’s first personal possession the first comforting possession known as the Transitional Object that helps the child to console themselves during times of anxiety, when the mother is not there for the child, and is carried with the child all the way through adolescents. These objects range from normally a blanket a teddy bear and yes even a diaper can very normally be that first possession. This is not something to be ashamed of or afraid of for any child or parent.

Last edited:

Slomo

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent
Strictly as a "transitional" attachement, I doubt it would matter even if any child does get attached to their diapers. Eventually they would grow out of wanting them with the better developed understanding of self vs not-self. Though this could make a good research topic. What if we as abdl are still stuck or never fully developed our sense of self. And as such we need diaper to fill that gap.

WABX

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I was never attached to other objects. Not sure when i started to like diapers. Maybe 12 or so. Not sure any more.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I don't think that's what was driving it in my case. I was well out of diapers and have no memory of being in them when I got curious. I think it stuck with me because I recognized the taboo nature of diapers and being treated like a baby as an older kid.

I do recall being attached to my blanket for a while. It probably goes back before what I remember. No one made a big deal about it and it eventually became less important. That would have been before my diaper curiosity.

Last edited:

trysexiea

Mysterious
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I am not attached to the product personally it is more the utility, protection and softness that I seek, but the product could be totally different if it brings the same services, features will work just as well for me.

trysexiea

Mysterious
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
But in any case in general I have no emotional attachment to the object, product.the only thing I'm attached to is the utility side, basically if I have an object and I do not have the budget to make it consumable I will do what it takes to keep it otherwise I do not care.

Sheepies

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Little
Yes. My old Barbie blanket and stuffed bunny. Both of which are on my bed right now.

I'm typing this laying under my Barbie blanket right now

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I was definitely attached to my teddy bear, but I was adopted at the age of two and I arrived at my new home with an old teddy. As for diapers, I think other psychologies are at work, such as suggested by Trevor. I also am a fan of the imprinting theory. Anyway, who knows.