Telling your therapist

As the saying goes, “put the turd on the table”. Meaning get it out, that thing that you’ve been ruminating over and over about. I struggled for so many years in silence. My wife, when we’re were about to get engaged, I just came totally clean with her. I figured I had to be transparent and honest with her otherwise the marriage and relationship would be a sham and not genuine. I wanted her to know and accept me for who I am and with all my eccentricities. That’s how I felt anyway. She was totally cool with it and was kind of pissed I waited so long to discuss it with her. I would go through guilt in the few years after that and felt like I wasn’t manly or all the husband I needed to be. So I purged (DL-related) and binged, and that cycle continued. Finally, she got pissed at me for purging. She basically encouraged me to get well stocked and don’t go into debt doing it. It was her way of releasing me from my challenged confidence. Boy did that feel freeing!

Sometime later I went to an actual psychiatrist and wanted to get help with anxiety and depression. During those several months of visits and adjusting medication to ideal levels I came clean with the female provider. Once I did that, got chemically stabilized (neurotransmitters) and got 100% acceptance from her and my wife it was like, go ahead and enjoy your new found sense of acceptance and freedom. So yes, I bought cloth and disposable diapers and covers. I bought some custom outfits and I kept it all very discrete at home or diapers discretely under clothes in public. The key was balance. Don’t let this side of myself control my life, distract from my close and intimate relationship with my wife, and don’t let it interfere with work, finances, or providing for my family be it time or attention.

So yes, honesty with myself, genuineness with my wife, and balance with life are all absolutely critical, and have given me confidence to be a great person, husband, friend and employee.

• Love
Reactions: DiaperedTeddyBear, LittleDiaperDreamer and geka
I've told two.

The first was a hypnotist that I seeked out, in order to beable to wet my diaper while lying down. At first, I was trying to concoct a believeable excuse to be able to pee while lying down. That failed, and I decided to just tell her the truth. Luckily, she is a very open-minded person, and helped me several times over the years.

The second was a psychologist that helped me when I fell ill with stress. She was also sufficiently open-minded, and understood that my ABDL kink could function as stress relief.

I think that if a therapist is a true professional, you can be safe telling them about your kinks (if it makes sense in your situation). It might actually be beneficial, as they get to know you better, possibly making it easier for them to help you. The therapist disapproves, find a different therapist. Most likely, they are bound by confidentiality, so your secret should be very safe.

I have mixed experiences with therapy and my ABDL side

When I was a young one (maybe 10 or 11) and first discovering this side of myself, my family found out. They were furious. My Mom peddled me onto a couple different therapist to figure out "what would possess me to act like this" and none of them bothered to listen to me much, they just told me I was being bad and grilled me on why I was doing it and hiding it from my family.

As an adult, I had one therapist (multiple horror stories non-related about her) who I confided in and she just looked at me for a second and she said "you wear pampers? like baby pampers?" and I'm like "no not quite." and she said "that's sickening. why would you do that.?" (same therapist told me no man would become a teacher for any other reason than that they were a pedophile a few sessions later. I quickly ditched her.)

It took until I was a year in with a great therapist to confide again and she helped me realize that it's likely a result of my severe childhood trauma and that it's a coping mechanism like any other. As long as I'm taking care of myself and it's not taking over my whole life and there are no unwilling participants, she didn't see a problem with it.

I would feel out the situation and have several sessions with a therapist before giving that information, but it's up to you.

This to me is not a straightforward yes or no. therapy is a very personal thing (customized) and goes off of your comfortable level. when you first start out it is like any relationship you take your time getting to know your therapist first. like anything in life there are good and bad therapists so a slow getting to know the person is best. Once you have built a mutual trust than i say yes share with your therapist. it is important for your therapist to know you as a person in order to help you. I have been in therapy for many years it helps me stay balances gives me a grounding point and i can shared anything and everything with my therapist (and i have). No judgment and full acceptance are a must with a therapist. sharing my little side has gone a long way toward me embracing myself fully and allows me to see a different perspective from the viewpoint of a trusted other. my therapist is like family to me. nothing about my strong little side shocked my therapist. she tends to worry a little more about me having such a strong little side which feels nice knowing she cares. best of luck with your therapy

@TheRainbowPrincess
I wonder if your horrible experiences with therapists are related to the part of the world where you live. Where I live, such behaviour from a therapist would be completely no-go and unacceptable, and could quickly lead to unpleasant attention in the media.

Male teachers are pedophiles??? Damn! 🫢😖

Reactions: dogboy
LittleTyke said:
@TheRainbowPrincess
I wonder if your horrible experiences with therapists are related to the part of the world where you live. Where I live, such behaviour from a therapist would be completely no-go and unacceptable, and could quickly lead to unpleasant attention in the media.

Male teachers are pedophiles??? Damn! 🫢😖
I was living in the Northeast US at the time. I wouldn't say it had much to do with the area as the program these therapists were coming from as the whole program (containing multiple inpatient, extensive outpatient, and multiple therapists) is rated an awesome 1 star on google for its unprofessionalism.

TheRainbowPrincess said:
I was living in the Northeast US at the time. I wouldn't say it had much to do with the area as the program these therapists were coming from as the whole program (containing multiple inpatient, extensive outpatient, and multiple therapists) is rated an awesome 1 star on google for its unprofessionalism.
In other words: These "therapists" shouldn't exist. :rolleyes:

If it at all weighs on you, which is pretty likely, then it's worth telling. It's a lot to get off your chest to someone who is most likely going to be accepting and understanding and non-judgmental.

I've told multiple therapists. Never had a bad experience.

Reactions: LittleDiaperDreamer, LittleTyke, NKY2020 and 1 other person
LittleTyke said:
In other words: These "therapists" shouldn't exist. :rolleyes:
So much this.

dogboy said:
When I was in college, my mom sent me to a mental hospital where I had to talk about wearing diapers and liking guys instead of girls. My psychiatrist said I would outgrow the desire to wear diapers. I didn't like him and I eventaully talked my mom out of sending me.

Recently I told my therapist about my being AB/DL and our community and he didn't seem too accepting. The second time I brought it up he must have had more time to research it and he said we would be a happier society if we all accepted one another and treated each other with love and respect, something I've said many times on this site.
I think this is the best to describe the differences about time and therapists.. Having the experience between few therapists and big time gap in years, showed how much difference there was when the therapists are maybe more aware and accepting in the bigger city than smaller town many many (over 15+) years ago.

LittleTyke said:
I've told two.

The first was a hypnotist that I seeked out, in order to beable to wet my diaper while lying down. At first, I was trying to concoct a believeable excuse to be able to pee while lying down. That failed, and I decided to just tell her the truth. Luckily, she is a very open-minded person, and helped me several times over the years.

The second was a psychologist that helped me when I fell ill with stress. She was also sufficiently open-minded, and understood that my ABDL kink could function as stress relief.

I think that if a therapist is a true professional, you can be safe telling them about your kinks (if it makes sense in your situation). It might actually be beneficial, as they get to know you better, possibly making it easier for them to help you. The therapist disapproves, find a different therapist. Most likely, they are bound by confidentiality, so your secret should be very safe.
Can you tell us more about the hypnotic stuff,did it work how long did it take/Sessions.
Did you walk in first session and say I want to pee laying down? How it go

pjs1957 said:
I have recently started going to therapy. Not sure if I should tell my therapist about my abdl self. Has anyone told their therapist and how did they react ?
I started therapy recently on-line. I found a neurodiverse therapist who’s also kink friendly! I decided to take the first big step and tell him I’m an age player in diapers. Therapy is to help not hurt. If you’re nervous to share that part of yourself, just don’t until you’re feeling comfortable and confident. You’re in control of what you share and when. Feel free to message me.

mistykitty said:
I told mine about it and she was/is very helpful and understanding about it. she even took the time to study about what it really was/is so she could advise and understand better.
that's a good therapist. therapists are supposed to do exactly this, study about what they are unfamiliar with so they can best help their client(s). I'm happy you have her and that she's been good to you!

Reactions: mistykitty
pjs1957 said:
Thanks everybody for your thoughts. Not sure when and how to tell her. I think my abdl side stems from a loveless childhood, never heard my parents say I love you. Youngest child of 5, you know a woops child. I think that is the root of my depression. And being a baby again is my escape Thanks again
Similar situation. Happy to talk about it anytime🤗😊

Reactions: Shannon1024
ShyGirl91 said:
that's a good therapist. therapists are supposed to do exactly this, study about what they are unfamiliar with so they can best help their client(s). I'm happy you have her and that she's been good to you!
I'm glad I have her to. It was a nice surprise actually. When i mentioned it for the first time I had mentally prepared myself for the worst reaction possible but instead I got, "this isn't something I familiar with but I'll look into it so we can discuss it further next time". It was better then the reaction I thought I would get, I expected the videocall to be shut off.

Reactions: BBBen, ShyGirl91, Cottontail and 1 other person
geka said:
Can you tell us more about the hypnotic stuff,did it work how long did it take/Sessions.
Did you walk in first session and say I want to pee laying down? How it go
Ooooh... this was nearly a decade ago, but I'll answer as I remember it.

First session, I told her about my kink, and what I wished to achieve. I was nervous as hell, and when I began bashing myself for being... (I don't remember the details, but I wasn't exactly nice to myself), she immediately shut me down. No self-shaming for being different!

She spent a long time asking questions about my kink, very much in detail. Then she began the actual hypnosis. First time I've been in trance, and I'm SO glad that I was actually able to do it. As far as I know, some people are not able to be hypnotized.

I had a few sessions of that kind. Two or three, I think, as one is rarely enough. She also gave me a sentence that I was to repeat to myself a number of times while going to sleep.

The effect didn't come immediately, but she did the "groundwork", so to speak. Soon I could pee while leaning further and further back, and finally I could do it while laying flat on the bed. It didn't come naturally, but I could do it. Strangely, I often couldn't do it if I was thinking about it, but if I distracted myself with other thoughts, it suddenly worked.

Over the years, it became gradually easier, and now I can wet my diaper in bed without much thought. I often wake up "half way" because I need to pee, do it without moving, and go right back to sleep.

For years, I used her services for various things involving the mind – not only kink related stuff. She is definitely one of the most open-minded people that I've ever known.

Reactions: LittleDiaperDreamer and geka
mistykitty said:
I'm glad I have her to. It was a nice surprise actually. When i mentioned it for the first time I had mentally prepared myself for the worst reaction possible but instead I got, "this isn't something I familiar with but I'll look into it so we can discuss it further next time". It was better then the reaction I thought I would get, I expected the videocall to be shut off.
that's awesome! you are brave!

Reactions: Shannon1024, mistykitty and LittleTyke
ShyGirl91 said:
that's awesome! you are brave!
I had been discussing: my family, roommate, and other things with her for a few months prior to telling her and she was always good and understanding about handling stuff even if I got emotional. So that's how I knew i could trust telling her especially since it's a coping mechanism for me.

Reactions: ShyGirl91
mistykitty said:
I had been discussing: my family, roommate, and other things with her for a few months prior to telling her and she was always good and understanding about handling stuff even if I got emotional. So that's how I knew i could trust telling her especially since it's a coping mechanism for me.
good, I'm so glad to hear that!

Reactions: mistykitty
pjs1957 said:
I have recently started going to therapy. Not sure if I should tell my therapist about my abdl self. Has anyone told their therapist and how did they react ?
Assuming you have a competent therapist (a big assumption) you have no choice but to tell if you want to resolve your issues. All patients will allow the doctor to examine all their parts except the part that hurts-it's human nature. Good luck.

Back