Starting School in Nappies

Not sure how it is in the UK and elsewhere. Here in the States, public schools generally require that children be potty-trained. There are of course exceptions for children with medical need or developmental disabilities, as there should be. Otherwise, no diapers.

I have a close family member who's a first-grade teacher. Most of her students are six- and seven-year olds. So far, in all her years of teaching, she's only mentioned having one student in diapers, and that student was wheelchair-bound. She has said, however, that she's noticed a significant uptick in the number of pants-wetting/pooping incidents, and has several times had students whose parents regularly sent them to school with a change of clothes, because they'd have "accidents" several times a week. Sheesh. Generally, I agree: Parents are getting pretty darned lazy about this stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiaperedBedwetter1998
Slomo said:
... who are we to deny them? Hippocrates?

I thought he was famous for saying, "Do no harm," not, "Take away their diapers!" :ROFLMAO:

tiny said:
I thought he was famous for saying, "Do no harm," not, "Take away their diapers!" :ROFLMAO:
Ha ha, got the wrong spellcheck suggestion. Meant to say hypocrites.

Slomo said:
Ha ha, got the wrong spellcheck suggestion. Meant to say hypocrites.

Not exactly; most of us were Potty Trained in time to start public school

And if we weren't it was for a good reason (unless there are some of us that refused to Potty Train; which is possible, but there would be few of us in that category)

BabyTyrant said:
Not exactly; most of us were Potty Trained in time to start public school

And if we weren't it was for a good reason (unless there are some of us that refused to Potty Train; which is possible, but there would be few of us in that category)
By hypocrite I mean we ourselves very much want to stay diapered. Some of us even very much want full urinary incontinence. So how can we rightly have that, yet deny the very same thing to someone else who wants it, let alone our own children. Don't get me wrong here though, I do believe it's important to encourage and try for potty training any child. I just believe it would be wrong of us to deny them diapers should their resolve for them be as strong as it is for us.

Slomo said:
By hypocrite I mean we ourselves very much want to stay diapered. Some of us even very much want full urinary incontinence. So how can we rightly have that, yet deny the very same thing to someone else who wants it, let alone our own children. Don't get me wrong here though, I do believe it's important to encourage and try for potty training any child. I just believe it would be wrong of us to deny them diapers should their resolve for them be as strong as it is for us.

Well it is possible to Potty train them for convenience sake, and then they can choose to go back to Diaper later; but most parents probably wouldn't offer that or let their kids go back to Diapers.

I think for most of us Incontinence is a Fantasy and we know we are better off having control.

I mean while it would be nice to always be diapered, but you dont need to have Incontinence for that and I know Incontinence has its down sides too.

CookieMonstah said:
It was on Sky News a few years back about older children going to school in nappies, some even as old as 11 years old. It's crazy. Around 2/3 children are trained in the day by age 3. Around 90% are trained in the day by age 4, before they start school.
What you fail to understand with some of the vaccines causing autism on a broad spectrum some of the older children may struggle with potty training. With the way things are going today you can't just say one-size-fits-all.
When I was younger around first grade I was having accidents all the time. And even punished for it.
But I was not sent to school in diapers might have been better if I had.

• Angry
Reactions: LiLMaus and bigtoddler96
Cottontail said:
She has said, however, that she's noticed a significant uptick in the number of pants-wetting/pooping incidents, and has several times had students whose parents regularly sent them to school with a change of clothes, because they'd have "accidents" several times a week.
Seems like it would make more sense to send them in a pull-up, at least spare the kids some embarrassment...

Although I have to wonder if it's really a potty-training issue, or dislike of the school bathrooms...

foxkits said:
What you fail to understand with some of the vaccines causing autism on a broad spectrum some of the older children may struggle with potty training. With the way things are going today you can't just say one-size-fits-all.
When I was younger around first grade I was having accidents all the time. And even punished for it.

The vast majority of studies have shown NO causal link between vaccines and autism. any autistic symptoms following a vaccination are more often than not the result of a very RARE allergic reaction to the vaccine making already existing autistic tendencies more pronounced.

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
Seems like it would make more sense to send them in a pull-up, at least spare the kids some embarrassment...

Although I have to wonder if it's really a potty-training issue, or dislike of the school bathrooms...
A totally reasonable ABDL perspective, heh. :) But I guess I mostly agree. The parents in these cases are probably hoping that peer pressure does its thing, and that the problem just goes away. And there's probably a smidgen of denial in there. And a legitimate worry that sending their child to school in what is basically a diaper is welcoming even greater embarrassment.

parents increasingly it seems for some liberal reason expect the state to do their job. I guess real parenting has gone out the window in case of CPS involvement, and there goes society. whether you like it or not it seems whatever you do as a parent has someone who will complain.... what ever happened to parental discipline?

binkyb said:
parents increasingly it seems for some liberal reason expect the state to do their job. I guess real parenting has gone out the window in case of CPS involvement, and there goes society. whether you like it or not it seems whatever you do as a parent has someone who will complain.... what ever happened to parental discipline?

Well they wont let Parents use old school discipline anymore, these days it's considered "Child Abuse" and kids know their parents cant touch them; so what is a parent to do? I honestly dont know; maybe make it so the child has nothing entertaining to do?

true that and they educate the kids on exactly what abuse might be. Not much hope for reality, no wonder kids expect the silver spoon or they play the victim card( as taught) Will it ever end?

I can remember the many times my wife and I worked all week waiting for Friday night when we'd go out to dinner to unwind. Most of the time a family with a screaming child would be seated next to us, ruining the peace and quiet we were seeking since we both taught screaming kids in public school. The worst part was that mothers no longer take the child out of the restaurant. They just let them sit there and scream. The other thing I see now is older children running through the restaurant while the parents eat. The kids no longer have to sit with their parents, apparently or behave.

foxkits said:

'Sigh' Vaccines do not cause autism. Autism is a result of genetics. I think this refrain is an emotional crutch for parents who can't accept their child's condition is a result of the chaos of the genetic lottery with no inherent meaning, rather than big bad doctors.

Reactions: CookieMonstah and tiny
So there are many things in this that make me attentive. There are a lot of issues that would possibly make children need to go to school in nappies, but we are leaving those aside as they aren't mentioned in the article. I think that there is deffinately a lack of parental commitment these days with regards to having their children trained.
When I was at school, I would have given anything not to have to be needing to use the toilets, they were so discusting.

Now, I am happy to have the choice to go out and use either my diaper or the toilet.

I'm still waiting on the whole potty training debate to be absorbed into the whole climate debate. "HUR DUR DIAPERS ARE BAD FOR THE CLIMATE BECAUSE CHILDREN ARE IN DIAPERS LONGER TAKE AWAY ALL THE DIAPERS" While the argument of diapers being harmful to the climate can be true in more than a few instances, I feel like people will use this plus the late potty training as an excuse to try and rid the world of diapers and try to claim that the ab/dl community is "Influencing children" and "Needs to go away" Becaue we all know how people are. Sigh.

AddyShadows said:
I'm still waiting on the whole potty training debate to be absorbed into the whole climate debate. "HUR DUR DIAPERS ARE BAD FOR THE CLIMATE BECAUSE CHILDREN ARE IN DIAPERS LONGER TAKE AWAY ALL THE DIAPERS" While the argument of diapers being harmful to the climate can be true in more than a few instances, I feel like people will use this plus the late potty training as an excuse to try and rid the world of diapers and try to claim that the ab/dl community is "Influencing children" and "Needs to go away" Becaue we all know how people are. Sigh.

They are not going to 'rid the world of diapers' there will ALWAYS be a segment that needs them, i.e. elderly, developmentally impaired etc. I would wager that biodegradable disposables will probably evolve more as will an increased used in disposables. Also, where have the AB/DL community been accused in influencing children? We're quite a clandestine community, and this is something that is essentially a sexual fetish for many of us, the same way some people have a foot fetish. i.e. for inanimate objects. I'd say it's very different to the LGBT community which is one's sexual orientation to other people, which is a lot easier to attack, because it's a lot harder to hide being gay than it is to enjoying wearing nappies. Maybe this is just me, but the former is integral to one's personality and wellbeing and indeed sense of self, how one sees themselves in the world. Whereas the latter is something to get one's rocks off. Being a DL might be part of me, as much as I often deny it, but it is by no means the most fundamental definition or indeed one of my core definitions. It's not a lifestyle it's DLC (albeit not optional) It's like Apple preloading the new U2 album onto their products, though with actually enjoyment out of it.

Last edited:
I remember when I started school. The teacher tried to potty train me (4-5 years old in pre-k), but I still had a lot of trouble. It was to a point where I was placed in special needs even after being out of diapers. I was in regular ed but treated like a spec ed child, all because of my difficulties in toilet training, due to my autism, which nobody saw until many years later.

Back