Specific kind of diaper leaking- male UIC. Anyone else?

pugglesmuggles

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hello- so I've been UIC for about 3.5 years, and I currently wear Northshore MegaMax diapers for it, day and night, usually two in a 24-hour period, one at night, one during the day, although I occasionally have to change mid-day, due mostly to what I'm going to describe below. I just want to know if any other UIC people have experienced the same thing and if anyone has any suggestions of what can be done about it, if anything. And as indicated by the title, this may specifically be a male issue, due to our anatomy.

So here's the situation: I'll be sitting at work for a while, or driving, usually having wet my diaper once already (that's the only time this happens, when my diaper has already absorbed some urine), but obviously since it's a MegaMax, I should be able to wet several more times before it leaks. Every once in a while, I will feel myself peeing (a full void), and I'll feel the urine sort of "travel" up the absorbent pad into the front of my diaper, and if I pee a lot, some seems to skip the absorbent pad and leak out and down the plastic sides of my diaper, on the outsides of my thighs, sometimes getting my pants or chair wet. And again, let me reiterate, the diaper should be nowhere near its capacity yet.

Obviously this is inconvenient and usually requires me to not only change a diaper that could be used more (because I don't trust it) but also my pants with the spare pair I always keep around. So, anyone else have this happen once, or with any sort of regularity? Any suggestions, or ideas? I'm thinking it may have something to do with the position of my penis inside the diaper, but I've never really noticed it sitting any differently day-to-day.

• Wow
Reactions: Pino, Neroforte, Edgewater and 1 other person
You could add a booster pad
but mostly I'd recommend more frequently changing
I live with IC and change every 4-5 hours max 6
Despite what diapers are "rated" for that's in a lab and not under normal wear

More frequent changes will keep you leak free & your skin will also be healthier

Reactions: Joeysms, Pino, Edgewater and 3 others
I was very disappointed with the MegaMax for this reason, and I don't think it's a specifically male issue. They gel and swell very locally, and it ends up forcing a gap at the legs that allows leakage in a diaper with most of the padding still completely dry. Some people love them, and more power to them, but I think the Supreme is a far better diaper. It wicks the moisture all the way to the very edge of the pad before there's any leakage issues, and that's not from gaps, but just that if it's full, it's full.

It is possible to use a small cloth (baby) diaper inside a disposable to catch a flood and assist with wicking, and that can drastically reduce issues like this. I never tried it with MegaMax, but see no reason it couldn't work with them, too. Ultimately my solution is to use something else, and honestly, almost anything else medical.....MegaMax is too gel-centric, like the AB/DL diapers. I bought them twice; the first time I told myself I'd never order them again, then at some point I thought I must have been overreacting and ordered another pack, but no, I just don't like them.

Not that I have anything against those who do. I have at least two friends who love them, and more power to them.

Reactions: Edgewater
Megamax's always had trouble in an seated and very upright position for me.

The problem is they don't "wick" very well, so seated and upright doesn't really give anything anywhere to go. I'd say try a cloth booster. Cloth boosters tend to wick really well to make up for diapers that don't too good.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
SparkyDog said:
You could add a booster pad
but mostly I'd recommend more frequently changing
I live with IC and change every 4-5 hours max 6
Despite what diapers are "rated" for that's in a lab and not under normal wear

More frequent changes will keep you leak free & your skin will also be healthier
I agree. I wear the diaper for 4-6 hours. Of course I don't change while sleeping so there is a period of 7 to 9 hours when I'm in bed. Night time includes a quality booster and plastic pants.

Reactions: Edgewater, pugglesmuggles, SparkyDog and 1 other person
Thanks for the replies so far, everyone- so with this and a few other issues (incl. cost), I am considering switching out of the MegaMax diapers and into something else. But here's my criteria-

-Plastic-backed, plain white (would consider an ABDL brand if they came in plain white)
-Last at least 4 hours during the day, and overnight-rated. I don't mind always having to change my diaper on my lunch hour from work if that's the reality, but I don't want to have to change any more than that, if it can be avoided (obviously the occasional emergency necessitates it). I work a regular 8-5 office job and it's pretty regular hours.
-Would like for the diaper to reliably absorb pee while I'm sitting, standing, or laying down without leaking like the MegaMaxes do sometimes.

Any recommendations?

Reactions: Pino, Lethdale, Edgewater and 1 other person
I think the Northshore Supreme meets all your specifications, though it's been a bit since I used them.

For overnight you may wish to add a booster. You could wear a Supreme and a booster for less than the MegaMax alone, and they wick so well you might not ever need the boosters. It depends on your output, although I can't recommend Depends. 🤣

• Haha
Disposable diapers require that they are place correctly and that requires setting a channel in them from the top front to the top back by folding the diaper in half along that line and than opened to set the side leak guards. Once in place assure that the gusset channel is in place by pressing down with one finger to assure the channel is in place. squeeze your legs together to set the gusset. Note, I wear NS Trifecta Diaper Covers both day and night.

Your description of events imply you are flooding your diaper and that your legs are drawn close together. If a channel has not been assured, blockage can occur and flooding, up the front can occur, which over flow the leak guards. You did not state the direction that your guy is pointing as the preferred direction is either down and back or up. If you are just laying in the gusset you will load the diaper along one side and likely over top the leak guard on one side.

The recommended NorthShore Supreme is a great diaper that with your specification is a good choice.

I have long worn MEGAMAX diapers and over-night use can stench to 12 hours. That said, my volume tends to be heavier in the morning to early afternoon. I, like others here, change more often during the day with daytime changes equally 3-5 diapers. If for no other reason, it is just better for skin health!

Reactions: Joeysms, Lethdale and PadPhilosopher
Edgewater said:
Disposable diapers require that they are place correctly and that requires setting a channel in them from the top front to the top back by folding the diaper in half along that line and than opened to set the side leak guards. Once in place assure that the gusset channel is in place by pressing down with one finger to assure the channel is in place. squeeze your legs together to set the gusset. Note, I wear NS Trifecta Diaper Covers both day and night.

Your description of events imply you are flooding your diaper and that your legs are drawn close together. If a channel has not been assured, blockage can occur and flooding, up the front can occur, which over flow the leak guards. You did not state the direction that your guy is pointing as the preferred direction is either down and back or up. If you are just laying in the gusset you will load the diaper along one side and likely over top the leak guard on one side.

The recommended NorthShore Supreme is a great diaper that with your specification is a good choice.

I have long worn MEGAMAX diapers and over-night use can stench to 12 hours. That said, my volume tends to be heavier in the morning to early afternoon. I, like others here, change more often during the day with daytime changes equally 3-5 diapers. If for no other reason, it is just better for skin health!
Agree 100% with what Edgewater said. All I’d add is that male anatomy can travel around and depending on sitting position can test the side gatherers of any disposable. While driving, I often develop wet spots beyond where the edge of my diaper falls on my leg…even with a cover on. Simply leak past the gatherers. I do change more often to avoid exceeding capacity, but it still happens when a strong urge hits. Just part of being incontinent.

Hang in there, it will get easier to manage in time and practice.

• Love
Reactions: Joeysms, Edgewater, Lethdale and 1 other person
As a male who has been incontinent over 20 years I have experienced what you are describing. Since my incontinence is caused by an injury at L5-S1, my bladder tends to fill up, and then release, so basically every void is a flood. I have found a few things that help to reduce leaks over the years.

1. Always fold the diaper in half along its length to create a channel for the urine to follow to more padding.
2. Make sure before you put the diaper on, that the leak guards are fully standing, and not stuck down anywhere.
3. If you are wearing a diaper that swells quite a bit, like the Megamax, don't crank down the top tapes super tight. Make them snug, but leave a little room for swelling.
4. After you have taped up, reach down inside the front of your diaper and adjust the leak guards so that they are standing up, and running where they need to be.
5. If at all possible when you feel your bladder cut loose and start a flood, stand up if you can. This will help the flood go more down and back instead of up or sideways.

Hopefully this helps you with the leaks you have been experiencing. One last note is that no matter what diaper I am using, I try not to go more than 8 hours without changing. I have found that skin health and unpleasant odors are greatly improved by not going past the 8 hour mark if I can help it.

• Love
Reactions: Joeysms, SoCalSwitch, Edgewater and 3 others
I've had the same thing happen, where pee ends up going to the side and under the unpadded wings of the diaper instead of in the middle where the padding is. It's very frustrating when it does. I've had it happen with lots of diapers over the years, not just the Megamax.

Most of my strategies to avoid this have been mentioned (create a channel by folding the diaper, make sure the leak guards are standing and placed correctly, make sure your penis is between the leak guards). Beyond that, I try not to sit on chairs that are too low or too narrow, which can create a pocket between my legs where urine can pool. Sitting more upright and letting my legs spread apart are very helpful.

Good luck with getting your issue resolved!

• Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater and Lethdale
Had a leak to with megamax did not understand how but don't know if they change something or not

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
Well, i think this happens to all men with incontinence that loose enough in once, me personally it is about half my bladder up to nearly all (200ml - 400ml). I have got the same problem, even with the highest capacity diapers. I recently tried something new, an idea from this forum, to add an extra pad. I choose a small one, very cheap, about 13 cent a piece and an Incontrol Essentials. I change after one wetting, but only the inlet, so i can keep the quality diaper on the hole day. This is much cheaper and much safer and less waste, not unimportant to me, trash is a problem here.
It works, but only with InControl, Megamax and others like this, Betterdry does NOT work because of the tapes.

Attachments

• 7148_a925dd277c81b528de284dc05ca707c6.jpg
    7148_a925dd277c81b528de284dc05ca707c6.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pugglesmuggles, PadPhilosopher, Neroforte and 1 other person
Pino said:
Well, i think this happens to all men with incontinence that loose enough in once, me personally it is about half my bladder up to nearly all (200ml - 400ml). I have got the same problem, even with the highest capacity diapers. I recently tried something new, an idea from this forum, to add an extra pad. I choose a small one, very cheap, about 13 cent a piece and an Incontrol Essentials. I change after one wetting, but only the inlet, so i can keep the quality diaper on the hole day. This is much cheaper and much safer and less waste, not unimportant to me, trash is a problem here.
It works, but only with InControl, Megamax and others like this, Betterdry does NOT work because of the tapes.
I need to try that

Reactions: Pino, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
That's a really common leak for me too. Especially when driving. Seems to be because car seats tend to position you in a slightly reclined position where most office chairs have a fairly flat bottom cushion. The seat belt also puts pressure on the same area which forces the urine to the sides if there's a heavy flow.

The only suggestion I have is trying a diaper that absorbs faster. Diapers like Megamax absorb tons, but they rely on polymers to keep them thin, and polymers take a bit longer to absorb. Other diapers (that are usually a bit more bulky and/or absorb less total amount) can soak up faster. Abena M4/L4 are one of those daily wear type diapers that soak up quickly, and they've done well for me. The really heavy/bulky products from companies that tend to be more ABDL branded are often good at both absorbency and soaking up fast, but they're not too discreet. I'll use them with waterproof pants when I'm making a longer drive or seeing a movie at the theater, and rarely have leaks.

Reactions: Lethdale, Neroforte, Edgewater and 1 other person
no matter how good the diapers is or years of experience with IC leaks well happen at times. it is good to be prepared with a change of clothes at work and plenty of diapers changes on hand. a lot of good advice to reduce the possibility of a leak. i am a fan of the mega max they work great for me. I fully agree that one should change not go with maxing out a diaper's absorbency. changed during your lunch time everyday is a very good idea. creating that fold down the middle before putting your diaper on is important and ensuring the leak guards are standing up. since you have a desk office job it is important not just for your diaper but your body as well to get up from your desk take a break stretch take a brief walk helps reposition everything. for most guys the front and between the legs is where you diaper will swell the most so some movement throughout your day helps. a very good diaper is the BetterDry i prefer BetterDry over the Northshore Supreme they are a softer great fit great absorbency and a heavy duty diaper more cost effective and LL Medico has free shipping. side note ABDL diapers are extremely good diapers (quality and great absorbency). All of the manufacturers/vendors of ABDL style diapers carry a plain white version. wearing a printed or plain color ABDL diaper does not make a person ABDL. You wear it use it and disposable it as you go about your day.

Reactions: Lethdale, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
pugglesmuggles said:
Every once in a while, I will feel myself peeing (a full void), and I'll feel the urine sort of "travel" up the absorbent pad into the front of my diaper, and if I pee a lot, some seems to skip the absorbent pad and leak out and down the plastic sides of my diaper, on the outsides of my thighs, sometimes getting my pants or chair wet. And again, let me reiterate, the diaper should be nowhere near its capacity yet.

Hate that feeling as the liquid traverse the outside of your thigh like an express train. Usually just a small leak but never the less a leak, instant wet clothing and wet bedding. 💧💧

WHY HAS NOBODY COME UP WITH A NAPPY/DIAPER WITH PADDING FILLING THE WINGS?

Never figured this out, if bed pads can be padded to the edge, why can nappies/diapers not have padding in the wings?

• Thinking
Reactions: Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
247 said:
Hate that feeling as the liquid traverse the outside of your thigh like an express train. Usually just a small leak but never the less a leak, instant wet clothing and wet bedding. 💧💧

WHY HAS NOBODY COME UP WITH A NAPPY/DIAPER WITH PADDING FILLING THE WINGS?

Never figured this out, if bed pads can be padded to the edge, why can nappies/diapers not have padding in the wings?
Plastic Pants (Diaper Covers)

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Lethdale and 247
This happens to me sometimes as well. These days when I am out and about, I wear a high capacity, disposable diaper with boxer briefs over the top of them, and then gary Ware active briefs over the top of that. This has been a pretty good system for me because if the diaper leaks the boxers absorb any small leaks and the diaper cover keeps my pants dry.

Reactions: Edgewater, Lethdale and 247
Back