Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trevor said:
For me, the answer is just to pick the diaper appropriate to how long I intend to wear. I can't hardly feel bad about changing out of a cheap diaper whenever it happens.

When I wet at night it USUALLY is quite heavy, but not always and not every night. I select the M4 (or better) to deal with heavy/overnight use. During the day I prefer discretion and can change often enough so I select a more appropriate diaper. The problem is that I don't necessarily wet the bed every night, nor in the same volume. Having to use such an expensive product every night can be frustrating if it is not used.

When I say that I'll reuse when its a bit damp. I am talking about a wet spot about an area a bit bigger than a 3x5 notecard, or the area of the crotch (where it narrows between the legs) or in other words: not a full bladder wetting. I know it's still urine, but in that amount it just seems negligible to me. It's not saturated, and with a diaper like an M4 I can't even feel the dampness when I reapply. If that area is larger, a full bladder discharge, I consider it used too much and will toss even though there is still a LOT of unused real estate in an M4 or better. I guess I'm struggling to describe something less than one full wetting.

If I could accurately gauge when and in what volume my nightly output would be, I would gladly choose the appropriate level of protection for a specific evening. Heck, if I could gauge that I might not even NEED protection, lol. None of this is to say that I don't understand peoples feeling of repulsiveness though. I just want to try and clearly define that I'm not talking about reusing a diaper that has actually been wet. And I do appreciate hearing everyones thoughts.

TyphaHare said:
No skin care products or showers help when a fungal infestation into the skin, I'm afraid.
Staying in a wet diaper too long will break your skin (you won't notice the microscopic breaking happening) and this lets ick in. Also, diapers make up for a nice petri dish for bacteria.

Trust me, if you end up with a fungal infestation you would know and it would be because you didn't clean yourself well enough and allowed it to grow. XD In which case that requires a whole different kind of treatment.

Personally speaking, I have never gotten anything of the such while wearing diapers even for pretty long extended periods of time. The worst I have gotten is a case of diaper rash and even that didn't last too long. Not saying it can't happen, but if you keep yourself clean, it's unlikely. Also, I am making a bit of bet here, but I don't think you have an actual example of this ever happening ... am I right?

I just use my diaper until it's full. :)

I can see Llayden point in being enviromentaly and fiscal frugality I myself merge the issues in using super heavywieght cloth night diapers,this way Wether it's a light wet or a full bladder dump they just get washed,it also helps that I tend to go to sleep on my side but always wake up on my back without any leaks.

I do this all the time. I don't wet in my sleep so when I wake up I take my diaper off and save it for later. Unless I have to wet after I wake up. I don't get to order diapers as much as I would like and don't have a huge stash so I try to get the most out of every diaper.

Llayden said:
So this morning I was going through my usual routine and I became curious if my habit was unique, although I doubt it is. Every morning I'm usually wet when I wake up. I usually use Abena M-4's or NorthShore Supremes as my overnight. A few nights a week are lighter/more dry than others.

On the drier mornings, if my diaper is only damp or maybe up to 1/3 used (just the area between the legs maybe) I will shimmy out of the diaper, fold it up like a pair of underwear and store it in the bathroom. First thing I do when I get home from school is I'll change out of my daytime protection and back into the damp overnight after sprinkling baby powder in it (it helps when shimmying back into it and removes any feeling of dampness). At this point it'll probably only last an hour or two more as my bladder will usually release when I get home when my Diet Coke habit catches up to me.

I know some people may find it a bit dirty, but I never have for some reason? I grew up wetting the bed with only a plastic sheet for protection. I guess after growing up like that all the way into mid/late teens (waking up in my own urine, cold and wet) I have no misgivings about putting back on a slightly damp diaper.

Doesn't bother me either I won't waste a partially wet nappy. I only discard them when they are completely soaked. I to used to sleep in a urine soake d bed. Being wet never bothered me and still doesn't/.

It's not dirty, it's your own pee. Sitting on your work public toilets are far worse. Peeing in the urinals with others left over pee splatting back at you is worse, so your reused diapers are fine. I reuse like that but I hate that it's cold at first until I wet again. Since my heater vents are forced air and are in the floor sometimes I place my diapers on them and it heats them up.������

If i haven't used it from the night before i will put it back on but never if i wet it.

BambinoPants said:
It's not dirty, it's your own pee. Sitting on your work public toilets are far worse.

I've seen arguments both ways. The most common discussions are that urine is sterile or close to sterile. It's the trash your kidneys remove from your blood, so any live pathogens in your urine would have to have originated from your blood, which would be a bad sign for your health. Further, bacteria in your urine is what gives you a bladder infection, so unless you have a bladder infection, the safe assumption seems to be that your urine is fairly sterile. The army medic handbook at least used to recommend using fresh urine when sterile water for field dressings was unavailable in vietnam.

But then again I've read in a couple places that the notion that urine is sterile is an "urban legend"?

Whatever the case, it's clearly fertilizer for bacteria. Urine quickly goes cloudy and changes its odor once exposed to air. There's nothing in your diaper that will prevent microbial growth. (a few try to balance the pH or cover the odor, but do nothing to the bacteria) So sitting in that for an unnecessarily long time is bound to attract problems. Most diapers have a fair amount of SAP in them, and urine locked in SAP should greatly slow down the souring of urine though, but there's going to be at least a trace of wetness left in the unpadded areas like leak guards, leg cuffs, and waistband, and in the padding coversheet.

The longest I stay in a wet diaper is overnight, and I try to empty my bladder before going to bed, so I'm dry for at least a few of my eight hours. And I almost always change right after getting out of bed in the morning. That's what I'd recommend for anyone.

Interesting Bambinod, never knew that so thx for the info. I've never had a bladder infection so I'm lucky. Maybe cuz I drink plenty of water or change frequently most of the time.

I love sleeping in a full, messy, wet diaper... But, in the morning its time to take it off and throw it away even if its just a little wet.

bambinod said:
I've seen arguments both ways. The most common discussions are that urine is sterile or close to sterile. It's the trash your kidneys remove from your blood, so any live pathogens in your urine would have to have originated from your blood, which would be a bad sign for your health. Further, bacteria in your urine is what gives you a bladder infection, so unless you have a bladder infection, the safe assumption seems to be that your urine is fairly sterile. The army medic handbook at least used to recommend using fresh urine when sterile water for field dressings was unavailable in vietnam.

But then again I've read in a couple places that the notion that urine is sterile is an "urban legend"?

Whatever the case, it's clearly fertilizer for bacteria. Urine quickly goes cloudy and changes its odor once exposed to air. There's nothing in your diaper that will prevent microbial growth. (a few try to balance the pH or cover the odor, but do nothing to the bacteria) So sitting in that for an unnecessarily long time is bound to attract problems. Most diapers have a fair amount of SAP in them, and urine locked in SAP should greatly slow down the souring of urine though, but there's going to be at least a trace of wetness left in the unpadded areas like leak guards, leg cuffs, and waistband, and in the padding coversheet.

The longest I stay in a wet diaper is overnight, and I try to empty my bladder before going to bed, so I'm dry for at least a few of my eight hours. And I almost always change right after getting out of bed in the morning. That's what I'd recommend for anyone.

Yeah, all of this.

Also, when the urine hits your diaper, I guarantee, the diaper is NOT sterile. It has gone trough air and caught on all the mold and bacteria that happened to be there at the moment, and if you have farted in your nappy (hehe) that has introduced bacteria in there, too. E. coli is in every single person's poopoo and that is the most common cause or UTI!

So while the urine is not the problem, it is the moisture and warmth which harbours the microbes. And the warmth doesn't need to be your body temp, just room temp is enough.

Yeah some doctor along time ago said urine was sterile because it had such a low bacteria count when you freshly tap a kidney into a specimen cup, we have billions of bacteria on and in us ,and as long as all the natives play nice you have a healthy immune system if not get a zpac and call it done.

This reminds me of a post that makes the rounds around the internet every once in a while of some guy who dug used diapers out of the trash and then put them in a microwave from the early 70s. And wore them.
Apparently he had been doing it for ~10 years.

ColecoVision said:
This reminds me of a post that makes the rounds around the internet every once in a while of some guy who dug used diapers out of the trash and then put them in a microwave from the early 70s. And wore them.

*shivvers*

ColecoVision said:

He actually used to be a member here, but that was before I was on this site.

I try to get the most out of my diapers and will wear them multiple times if they are dry. However, wet diapers are done. I feel that my money's worth is from the time period worn without a leak. I would rather barely wet a thick diaper (like Dry 24/7) than have a leak from using a lighter diaper.

Obviously the solution to a slightly wet diaper is to put it in the refrigerator until later when you use it again. Though, that raises the problem of how to explain this to anyone who finds it in there.

If it's the same day, I wouldn't mind at all. I remember when I was young and scared and had limited access I would save a diaper for days. I wouldn't now, but still: We're people. We're the definition of gross. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back