Protec Briefs and my Quest for a Dry Bed

EcoIncon

Cloth diaper anyone?
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
My trusty bed pads are tattered and worn so I am looking at a new solution to preserve my sheets from nighttime diaper leaks. I am medically required to sleep on my side... this requirement sucks with nighttime incontinence.

In an effort to get rid of pads that are itchy and move around on the bed, I found the Protec Briefs https://www.protecbriefs.com/ that are supposedly an absorbent diaper cover (I believe some others have mentioned these in another thread). I've worn them for a couple of weeks now and I've had a few leaks with both my BetterDrys and Threaded Armor cloth underneath. It seems they absorb initially but over time the moisture wicks through the supposedly waterproof cover and my sheets end up wet anyway.

I don't love non-absorbent diaper covers (shells like garywear, etc.) as I've just had too many leaks through them. As I mentioned, bed pads have been my go to but they move and the surface is not nearly as soft as my sheets. Questions if all y'all (I understand that's the proper southern phrasing for the plural of y'all) have ideas for me:
  • Have any of you tried the Protec and had better luck? Did I just get a bad pair?
  • Have you found a better diaper cover that is not too thick and comfortable (of course I could wear a huge diaper over my diaper but that sucks)?
  • If covers aren't the thing, has anyone found a washable bed pad that doesn't move and has a soft surface that doesn't itch?
Thanks in advance for any ideas...

• Thinking
Reactions: Pino, LordDuque, BunnyFofo and 1 other person
There are ABSORBENT diaper covers? I'll admit, I had no idea that that was a thing. I guess I just don't look around enough :think:

Reactions: PaddedRita, Diprs2 and EcoIncon
Same issue w protec.

• Sad
Reactions: EcoIncon
never heard of these, looks like a comfortable product to help with leaked but hearing they don’t work I’m defiantly not trying them now for $80. Expensive!

Reactions: EcoIncon and Diprs2
iatec779 said:
never heard of these, looks like a comfortable product to help with leaked but hearing they don’t work I’m defiantly not trying them now for $80. Expensive!
Yeah… at $80 I was hesitant… but I thought “hey, ya get what ya pay for”… well… maybe not.

Reactions: Diprs2 and iatec779
MajesticHamster said:
There are ABSORBENT diaper covers? I'll admit, I had no idea that that was a thing. I guess I just don't look around enough :think:
You might consider something like this:Rearz Anchors Adult Pocket Diaper.
I think that this particular design is the perfect snapon/pullup adult TPU diaper/diaper cover.
I like that it is not a babyish design at all (I'm mostly a DL) and is somewhat breathable and has great leg gussets. I love it for prevention of leaks when used with a disposable diaper. It comes with a single snap-in insert that can absorb leaks. I don't bedwet so I don't know if it is good for side sleeping.
20230326_141810_compress61.jpg

Reactions: Wini22, Diprs2, Deleted member 58241 and 3 others
I like to protec briefs as they have worked well for me so far. I think one needs to be very careful on the sizing because if too large you will easily leak in the leg holes.

But they are expensive but at least they are working for myself

Cheers

Jason

Reactions: Diprs2, diapeybabybrian and EcoIncon
I too ❤️ my Protec briefs and so far it’s the only solution over disposables that has worked for me.

I’ll also echo the comment on fit. At first i thought they were too tight and compromise my nappy’s absorbency but as it turns out it appears to contain the leak and absorb locally rather than “run to the nearest exit” in the case of plastic pants.

Yet to have them leak through 🤞but they are used only to catch leaks over the top of non-PE cotton backed disposable nappies.

Sorry to hear of peoples bad luck

Reactions: Diprs2, diapeybabybrian and EcoIncon
247 said:
I too ❤️ my Protec briefs and so far it’s the only solution over disposables that has worked for me.

I’ll also echo the comment on fit. At first i thought they were too tight and compromise my nappy’s absorbency but as it turns out it appears to contain the leak and absorb locally rather than “run to the nearest exit” in the case of plastic pants.

Yet to have them leak through 🤞but they are used only to catch leaks over the top of non-PE cotton backed disposable nappies.

Sorry to hear of peoples bad luck
I wrote Protec about the problems I was having with the brief. I was told they had a bad manufacturing run that resulted in the waterproof lining not properly adhering to the cover. The y sent me a new pair and they work great!!!! I’m thinking this may indeed be the solution I was hoping for and will repot more later.

Reactions: Pino, Diprs2, diapeybabybrian and 2 others
I ordered 3 over 2 weeks ago and still not at my door. Took over a week to even ship, they they must of put it on a golf cart to drive it across the country. Been like 8 days and still not delivered.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, CptKirk and EcoIncon
I prefer the bed pads myself even have small ones 18x18 I use on chairs
Haven’t got one but I’ve seen bed pads that go across the bed and tuck in between mattress
And box springs
I’ve also have a protec brief it’s ok but i still like bed pads better

Reactions: Diprs2 and EcoIncon
After complaining I been waiting forever, they showed up today lol.
I I can’t believe how thick they are everywhere. They are a little snug too and no stretch, maybe supposed to be like that. I feel like they are going to be too hot over a diaper. Guess I’ll try it tonight, at least they have a $$ back guarantee

Reactions: Diprs2, EcoIncon, 247 and 1 other person
iatec779 said:
After complaining I been waiting forever, they showed up today lol.
I I can’t believe how thick they are everywhere. They are a little snug too and no stretch, maybe supposed to be like that. I feel like they are going to be too hot over a diaper. Guess I’ll try it tonight, at least they have a $$ back guarantee
They are thick. Let us know how it goes!

Reactions: Diprs2
EcoIncon said:
They are thick. Let us know how it goes!
well, wore one over an incontrol elite all night. After I laid down a bit I seemed to cool off and heat wasn’t that bad. They defiantly make you feel secure, goes up high in waist and almost to knees lol. My diaper never leaked so idk how they actually function yet. My wife said they look like a pair of shorts so that’s kind of a win for me as makes me feel better emotionally being seen in just a diaper or diaper cover. They take the crinkle out of plastic diapers, can’t hear them at all with these on.
Not sure I would want to wear them out of the bedroom, they are kind of restrictive like a snug feeling when walking around.
I’ll keep wearing them a while and someday I’m sure to see if they contain leaks lol.
My only concern is I usually sleep on my stomach and if my diaper leaks it usually out the front top of legs or top of diaper. Idk how much protection these have there. If you leaked out the back legs I doubt there would be any chance for a leak lol

Reactions: Pino, Diprs2, 247 and 1 other person
I have the PROTEC Briefs and I've loved them since I first tried them.

Highly recommended for night time use, they catch 99% of my diaper leaks so far, and my reusable underpad catches the rest of them.

You could also use these for long car trips or extended gaming sessions.

They're super comfortable, but yes they are expensive, but worth it.

Shipping times could be longer due to them being a small business, but you should be patient and support them.

Reactions: Diprs2 and EcoIncon
I vote for the reusable bed pads. I have to have 4 dozen now as the VA keeps sending me more and more and more. Too bad I have no clue where you live as I could easily spare a few. These are soft and you won't even know you're sleeping on top of them. When they get wet you simply wash them, hang them on the line to dry and they're good to go again and again and again. Before I was getting these shipped to me I had roughly 18 of them and there were quite a few that were well over 15 years old. These aren't inexpensive but are incredibly economical in the long run. The best aspect about these is the fact that you're not going to drench everything and have to continually tear the bed apart to launder every single piece of fabric on the bed.

IF you have any questions, feel free to ask. I have almost 20 years experience with these now, albeit the past 20+ years have truly FLOWN by. I wish to GOD time moved this fast when I was bored to death in school from 6th grade on. Every hour back then is seemingly the equivalent to a friggin week now!

Reactions: Angelapinks, Diprs2 and EcoIncon
I love reusable bed pads as well,

I use the NORTH SHORE CHAMPION.

But lately, it hasn't got much use because the PROTEC Briefs catch all my nightly leaks.

I've even considered now just sleeping without the bed pad altogether.

Reactions: EcoIncon, 247 and Diprs2
Well my Protecs came today, or rather I picked them up from the post office as there was a whacking customs charge, more than £75! And that was after a delay of several weeks. I got a 3 for 2 deal but the charge wiped that out. Will give them a try tonight. If they work well for me I might order a load and sell them on eBay or wherever.

• Wow
Reactions: EcoIncon, Diprs2 and diapeybabybrian
$75 import fees? HOW on Earth can they justify that much for medical equipment?????????

I would appeal without a doubt as that seems to be beyond excessive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and Angelapinks
@HumanFly @CptKirk

If you have a genuine disability and the items are for personal use you shouldn’t need to pay UK VAT or import duty. Customs are generally very reasonable if they understand clearly what the item is and who it is for.

I purchased my single pair of ProtecBriefs and payed neither VAT or import duty. Maybe when the purchase value is so high (3 pairs) they may question it if not accompanied by the right documentation.

SEE HMRC

Goods imported by post​

Ask the sender to write ‘goods for people with a disability: relief claimed’ clearly on the package and its accompanying customs declaration (CN 22 or CN 23).

We may send you a simplified form to complete and return.

If the package is not clearly marked, you must pay the duty and VAT. You can write to customs at the postal depot where the charges were raised.

You must send the document showing the charges and prove that conditions of this relief are met. If the goods qualify for relief, HMRC will repay any duty and VAT.

Hope this is helpful

Reactions: CptKirk and EcoIncon
Back