Pacifier repairs?

basicquestions

Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I've started a pacifier store recently and I've had a few recurring problems like the notch that holds the handle in place breaking or being unable to remove a misplaced rhinestone once the glue dries. Is there anything I can do to repair these issues? Also was there any tips people had for pacifier deco

basicquestions said:
I've started a pacifier store recently and I've had a few recurring problems like the notch that holds the handle in place breaking or being unable to remove a misplaced rhinestone once the glue dries. Is there anything I can do to repair these issues? Also was there any tips people had for pacifier deco
Can you share a picture of a break? What adhesive are you using for the rhinestones?

Pacifier shields/buttons/rings are usually made of polypropylene, which is a thermoplastic. In other words, it melts with heat, and the best way to bond it to itself is by melting it together. Unfortunately, there aren’t any welding solvents (that I’m aware of) that work on polypropylene. There are devices made specifically for welding polypropylene (look up “polypropylene welder”), or something like a solder reflow station might work. Some investment (probably) required! The first thing I’d try would be the reflow station, but that’s because I already have one.

I haven’t glued rhinestones to pacifiers myself, but I’m familiar with the process. The most common adhesive appears to be Gem-Tac, which is designed specifically for rhinestones. The directions state that it can be removed with water unless completely dry (so for around an hour), and thereafter by “drycleaning,” which presumably means using nasty solvents like PERC. If you’re using Gem-Tac, definitely try the water first!

Back