My path to incontinence - what you can expect

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregs

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I want to report my history of incontinence and how urge incontinence has developed. Maybe for some people who are in one of the earlier stages can preview what to expect.

Stage 1 (lasting about 3 month)

My toilette frequency increased starting at afternoon. After Lunch I had to go every 20 minutes and later every 15. Sometimes at evenings it was getting better.

This is where I decided to wear diapers. I struggled with it but usually after the 2nd or 3rd visit to the bathroom I knew it was clear that it has to be.

Stage 2 (lasting about 3 month)

About 3 Month after Stage 1 started, I had more and more urges beginning before lunch or even early mornings. So I intensified my diaper usage, still struggling and almost ever day I tried to do it without. But after 3rd time to the bathroom within one hour I realised its not possible.

When I wear a diaper I still tried to hold it as much as possible, and I had the control so I hat to actively push to release.

At the beginning, oft this stage I would sometimes go out without a diaper on, however I would take one in my bag and most of the time I had to put it on at the office or at another public toilet. At the end of this stage, I never left the house without diaper on.

I have to admit that I was a DL before and even on stage 1 I found this a little bit fascinating (specially as I was believing that it will stop and go away soon), but at this stage I started to hate diapers.

Stage 3 (lasting 3 Month)

At some point, also about 3 month after the beginning of stage 2, I realised that the flow was more and more automatically and I hardly ever had to active push to release. More and more I even did not realise that I wet and it started more dribbling than a being a stream.

Now at this point my nights got harder. At stage 2 I think the habit of pushing ever 5 minutes was developed and when I woke up in the morning or in the middle of the night, I just pressed a little, sometimes unconsciously and continued to sleep. But now as I did not do the pushing and pressing during daytimes I think my body was not used to and I did not dribble when I was asleep. So I woke up a lot of times with pressure in the bladder. I think it was not used anymore to be full and even if tried to press it was hard to empty the bladder. Sometimes I even had to stand up due it was so painful and only than I could release.

Stage 4 (lasting 6 month)

I started to counteract the night-time problem by trying to go back to pressing and holding. It was hard at the beginning. Sometimes on weekends at home I even decided to let the diaper away force myself to hold it and maybe train the bladder a bit.

I could achieve a little bit off success and the problems at night where getting better. However the comfort level was much lower than on stage 3. It was a one step back and forth sometimes I lost some control and the dribbling got more, sometimes I gaind some control and could hold it for 20 minutes or sometimes even longer if I did not drink to much.

I think it was at the end of this stage when I realised that this condition is not temporary and will not go away.

Stage 5 (current)

Sometimes, maybe 6 month after the beginning of stage 4 things changed complete again. Very suddenly, my control was almost lost and even if I tried very hard I could hardly ever hold it. I just dribbled and sometimes even lost a bigger amount of urine without control.

Now I also lose urine when I am asleep. This brings at least the benefit, that when I wake up my bladder is empty and I don’t feel the pressure and pain.

I hope these report can help someone. I would be happy for comments and for confirmation if your history of urge incontinence developed on the same path and maybe if you are already deeper on the path maybe you could tell me what to expect next or if this is the end of the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, Constantlydamp, scaifester and 5 others
Did you get a diagnosis of why you got urge incontinence?

Mine was diagnosed as "nerve damage", due to many years of diabetes with high glucose levels. There's no cure for that.
  1. It probably started a year before I knew I was becoming IC, since I had a BM accident at work at the time (thankfully nobody was there when it happened).
  2. About a year later, I started to help an elderly family member shop that was now in an old folks residence because she could no longer drive. That was during the start of the pandemic when no washrooms were open. My first sign of IC was standing in line for the cashier and suddenly feeling like I was going to pee myself. I did manage to suppress it and get home that time but it took all my internal strength to manage it.
  3. After that, it became harder to suppress. I gave into pull-ups when I went out but found that even if I did manage to suppress the urge, it would only come back minutes later and more severely urge. On one occasion I had bladder spasms when I tried to suppress it (by pinching). Lesson learned -- don't do that.tenasuper.jpg
  4. I soon started to wear a pull-up every day since accidents would surprise me at times. Even at home, I would get the urge and find that the bathroom was occupied, and other situations. When buying a house, never settle for a one bathroom home.
  5. Along the way, I started to wet the bed. That was humiliating and something new in my life experience. So I started to use cloth diapers for overnight with plastic pants. But the laundry was too much for me. So I switched to a TENA Super disposable with plastic pants. Much easier.
  6. Nearly a year went by and then I started to be bothered by near BM accidents while out. One day it finally happened. I was bringing in grocery bags. As I bent down to lift a bag, the diarrhea came out in the diaper, while standing in the driveway. The horrors!
  7. Now I am avoiding coffee on days that I need to go out (they seem to act as a laxative). That seems to be helping. I now wear briefs when I leave the house for any length of time just in case I have another BM accident. Otherwise, absorbent pull-ups do the job.
That is where I am right now. Mostly U-IC, but have to be mindful of F-IC. I love coffee, but not enough to endure F-IC.

Reactions: Diprs2, Constantlydamp and Angelapinks
My OAB was a slow progression towards urge incontinence which still to this day isn’t too severe, thank god. Though it still necessitates me wearing some sort of protection 24/7 still, as I never know when I’ll have an accident.
My OAB progressed slowly, a first when I got the sense of needing to pee I could reliably hold it back until I could get to the restroom, i Think 10 minutes or so, but the time from sensing the urge to needing to relieve myself slowly decreased, this decline took many months, and now I have maybe two minutes at best, when I feel the urge.

Bedwetting didn’t start before several years after my OAB turned into urge incontinence, until then I would be waken up once or twice during the night and doing my deeds in the toilet, whether it being once or twice depended on my fluid intake during the afternoon, if I didn’t drink much, I could do with once during the night, if more, usually twice. Eventually bedwetting was a harsh fact for me, because when I woke up, I was already peeing in bed, or I would start immediately when waking up, I still sometimes wake up during nighttime, finding I’m already peeing. But usually at best I’m woken up only slightly, sometimes not at all, just peeing in my sleep, as my night diaper is wet in the morning.
and here, I must admit during these years of waking up, it was really hard for me, because I lacked the sleep, I prefer not waking up which I have slowly progressed to.

so for me, it was a long and bumpy road leading to urge incontinence and bedwetting.

Reactions: Diprs2, Angelapinks and Kellycares
Nerve damage hear from type two diabetes that lead to incontinence.

Reactions: Diprs2 and sport1
pamperbud20 said:
I have diabetes along with autism which wound up in diapers.

Reactions: Diprs2
pamperbud20 said:
Same here.

My incontinence started with some slight dribbling and damp underwear by the end of the day. Then one night out of the blue I wet the bed. I hadn't wet the bed for about 10 years. It has just gradually got worse over time. Now I am in nappies 24/7 and have very little bladder control during the day and none whatsoever at night.

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, Kyma, sport1 and 1 other person
Wetshisbed said:
My incontinence started with some slight dribbling and damp underwear by the end of the day. Then one night out of the blue I wet the bed. I hadn't wet the bed for about 10 years. It has just gradually got worse over time. Now I am in nappies 24/7 and have very little bladder control during the day and none whatsoever at night.
I can feel for you also have somewhat limited control.

Wetshisbed, sounds very similar to me

I’m on stage 2 , always padded
I decided to wear 24/7 in January as I was going up to 12 times before lunch 😟(not good for a semi truck driver ) and if I left it till I was desperate I would get uncomfortable and when I go to pee it was a rush to get my zip undone and get Jonny out and one day I wasn’t quick enough and just froze from shock as my bladder let go with my Jonny firmly still in my now wet pants 😟
Now even though I can hold it if I stand still to long when the urge hits I just go .
I know what the path I’m walking leads to and full accept what I will find on it but my mental and physical health is better now

Reactions: Diprs2 and Kyma
gregs said:
I hope these report can help someone. I would be happy for comments and for confirmation if your history of urge incontinence developed on the same path and maybe if you are already deeper on the path maybe you could tell me what to expect next or if this is the end of the road.
It sounds to me like you have bladder muscle control issues that have caused daytime IC problems and now a reemerging bedwetting issue. Its interesting that you had an interest in diapers before your IC issues developed or reemerged as an adult. Did your DL interest emerge with bedwetting when you were younger? Thats what happened in my case when I was bedwetting into and throughout puberty and then I later developed medical problems resulting in bladder control issues that for me coincided with and made my fetish interests more intense. But this might be a lucky situation because at support groups Ive met people who got really down on themselves after losing bladder control resulting from medical reasons. Get a medical opinion for sure because some urinary problems can be treated. But if they can't wearing diapers and taking other precautions like protecting your mattress aren't the worst things in the world.

Borz said:
I wonder how many boys this happens too. I think when our parents put us in Goodnites they don’t understand that some of us Won’t get out of them?
I think most parents are a lot more enlightened today than was the case decades ago when I was growing up. Back then overage bedwetting was seen as a behavior and discipline issue but now its more seen as an inherited issue or just maturing differently. The best approach I think is to not make it into a big deal.

Reactions: Diprs2 and (deleted member)
mikesecret said:
It sounds to me like you have bladder muscle control issues that have caused daytime IC problems and now a reemerging bedwetting issue. Its interesting that you had an interest in diapers before your IC issues developed or reemerged as an adult. Did your DL interest emerge with bedwetting when you were younger? Thats what happened in my case when I was bedwetting into and throughout puberty and then I later developed medical problems resulting in bladder control issues that for me coincided with and made my fetish interests more intense. But this might be a lucky situation because at support groups Ive met people who got really down on themselves after losing bladder control resulting from medical reasons. Get a medical opinion for sure because some urinary problems can be treated. But if they can't wearing diapers and taking other precautions like protecting your mattress aren't the worst things in the world.
I had interest in Diapers whan I was younger, but I never had any bedwetting issues.

mikesecret said:
I think most parents are a lot more enlightened today than was the case decades ago when I was growing up. Back then overage bedwetting was seen as a behavior and discipline issue but now its more seen as an inherited issue or just maturing differently. The best approach I think is to not make it into a big deal.
Life before Goodnites was even worse, because if you didn't have obvious mental development issues or physical impairments then you were considered lazy or needing discipline any time there was a toileting issue and parents were willing to go much further in trying to 'correct' the behavior.

Reactions: Diprs2 and (deleted member)
AnalogRTO said:
you were considered lazy or needing discipline any time there was a toileting issue and parents were willing to go much further in trying to 'correct' the behavior.
I know because my parents tried different methods to 'correct' it as you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back