Messy accident on an airplane

Ellyn

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
A few days ago, someone on a plane experienced an episode of diarrhea and leaked a trail of it through the plane to the restroom. Reportedly, the plane diverted to a nearby airport due to the strong odor throughout the plane.
I have to wonder how often this happens…. For me, I’m always wearing a highly absorbent diaper while flying with a few extras in my carryon in case I need to change. I always wet while flying, sometimes more, sometimes less than normal but thankfully I’ve never messed one, though there’s always a chance, which points out how logical it is for everyone to be diapered on flights. My husband is often irritated by sometimes turbulent flights and how restroom breaks are either denied or a long line for a very limited number of restrooms on board. Diapers simply make sense and lowers stress on flights, not that a person should necessarily use a diaper to ‘replace’ an otherwise good opportunity to use the facilities, which I feel strongly about. Though I leak freely with very little control these days, I always make an attempt to use a bathroom if I feel an urge, which doesn’t happen much anymore either, which is quite depressing for me.
That’s my 2 cents worth on the subject.

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 66129, Likeninety, ianwee and 18 others
I have yet to see a potty in a Cessna. Oh, great, I just gave Entyvio another idea for a dumb commercial.

And whoever wrote the jingle needs to pay royalties, not collect. Could be the same person who wrote the one for Liberty Mutual. Could be...

Anyone up for a game of Pharma-Name Scrabble? 🤭

• Love
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, newAB43, Edgewater and 2 others
I recently flew to Texas and wore a Goodnites diaper just for peace of mind although I did not need to use it. However I did get flagged at security checkpoint every time and had to be patted down. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, newAB43, Edgewater and 4 others
Ellyn said:
I always wet while flying, sometimes more, sometimes less than normal but thankfully I’ve never messed one, though there’s always a chance, which points out how logical it is for everyone to be diapered on flights. My husband is often irritated by sometimes turbulent flights and how restroom breaks are either denied or a long line for a very limited number of restrooms on board. Diapers simply make sense and lowers stress on flights, not that a person should necessarily use a diaper to ‘replace’ an otherwise good opportunity to use the facilities, which I feel strongly about.
Completely agree with this. My fiancée is the same, she probably has as mild OAB as possible, definitely not a problem in her life, but can cause problems in some situations, such as flying when there's a bit of turbulence. She also pees more when she's nervous, and turbulence makes her very nervous, so she's had many close calls and uncomfortable flights. Especially since my family lives in Vegas. And as anyone who is from Vegas/Arizona knows, the heat can make for rougher flights, so it often is a problem for her.

I always joke with her that she should just wear a diaper for the flights/road trips because it would make her life so much easier. But she absolutely refuses to. I'm not an ABDL so I don't want her to wear for other reasons, so I never push it. But I do like to tease her when shes struggling and remind her there is a very simple fix for it.

I also try to make it to the bathroom whenever possible, but the exception is on planes. I don't really fear turbulence/crashing, but I am more scared of a sudden drop in altitude where people without seatbelts crash into the overhead bins. It happened a few times when I was living in Asia, so I now just keep my seatbelt on at all times and just use my diaper. I've seen Top Gun, I don't want me or my fiancée to have a Goose situation.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, Freddie07601, newAB43 and 5 others
BobbiSueEllen said:
I have yet to see a potty in a Cessna. Oh, great, I just gave Entyvio another idea for a dumb commercial.

And whoever wrote the jingle needs to pay royalties, not collect. Could be the same person who wrote the one for Liberty Mutual. Could be...

Anyone up for a game of Pharma-Name Scrabble? 🤭
As I flew up it was easy to see,
The open skies were as wide as the sea,
Time went on and I needed to pee,
Oh why oh why can't I reach ATC,
Ended filing my Little Kings,
Entyvio is really swell,
In Cessesna you can smell!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, newAB43, Edgewater and 3 others
I saw that too, it was a delta airlines. I'm not sure if the individual in question needed to wear? or was wearing a diaper? the article didn't go into explicit detail.

However it's possible that in this case the individual concerned wasn't actually diapered at all, but just got caught short with a unfortunate bout of diarrhoea, leaving a trail of it from their seat to the bathroom.

It is true to say that in this instance a diaper might have helped, although i'm not sure even with a diaper how effective it would be at containing the smell? It must have been an absolute nightmare for the poor individual concerned. :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, newAB43, Diprs2 and 2 others
Oh god. The "diarrhea plane" it's being called. 🤢 I hope the culprit is not medically incontinent, because if the incident is deemed to have been reasonably foreseen and avoided, you can bet the airline is going to try to recoup its losses.

About 30 years ago I was aboard the "omelette plane." Apparently having 50 omelettes skate down the aisle of a 737 isn’t newsworthy, but I was there! The plane was still climbing steeply out of Seattle en route to Washington DC when the flight attendants decided to get started preparing the meal service. And then the cart fell over.

Of course that was altogether less gross than diarrhea, but it meant I had to change my breakfast order, and it was rather unpleasant to eat something else while the air was thick with the smell of omelettes.

Come to think of it, the plane should’ve turned back.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, Zeke, newAB43 and 6 others
TeeMousy said:
I recently flew to Texas and wore a Goodnites diaper just for peace of mind although I did not need to use it. However I did get flagged at security checkpoint every time and had to be patted down. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes, though they aren't allowed to embarrass you. If you are wearing a diaper on a flight and you inform the airline before the flight, they inform the security so that you are not publicly embarrassed, when going through the checks.

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192, Seasonedcitizen, TeeMousy and 4 others
I know someone who has a son with Down's syndrome and when travelling by plane (which they do frequently because of family overseas), he has (or had) to go without food or drink in the hours before the journey so he wouldn't have to use the toilet en route. I thought of asking why she didn't just put a diaper on him since it would surely be more comfortable and healthy than being dehydrated for that long, but thought better of it.

Ellyn, do you mean everyone or everyone who might possibly need one? Do any of your family do so at your suggestion?

• Wow
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, newAB43, Edgewater and 4 others
HumanFly said:
I know someone who has a son with Down's syndrome and when travelling by plane (which they do frequently because of family overseas), he has (or had) to go without food or drink in the hours before the journey so he wouldn't have to use the toilet en route. I thought of asking why she didn't just put a diaper on him since it would surely be more comfortable and healthy than being dehydrated for that long, but thought better of it.

Ellyn, do you mean everyone or everyone who might possibly need one? Do any of your family do so at your suggestion?
That's outrageous, and just cruel. Airlines are very sensitive to individuals needs, if they are informed beforehand prior to the flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, newAB43, Edgewater and 2 others
I seen pictures of the aftermath, there's no diaper that is going to contain explosive diarrhoea like that.

• Wow
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, Zeke, newAB43 and 5 others
HumanFly said:

My belief is that everyone on a plane would probably benefit from wearing a diaper while traveling, really by any mode, but with social stigma being what it is, the mass majority likely wouldn’t consider it. I’ve recommended a diaper to my husband and boys but no takers.

• Thinking
Reactions: ianwee, Seasonedcitizen, Andrewgdfw and 9 others
Ellyn said:
My belief is that everyone on a plane would probably benefit from wearing a diaper while traveling, really by any mode, but with social stigma being what it is, the mass majority likely wouldn’t consider it. I’ve recommended a diaper to my husband and boys but no takers.
I guess Ego's play a part, rather than practicality :unsure:.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, Zeke, Freddie07601 and 3 others
Ellyn said:
Reportedly, the plane diverted to a nearby airport due to the strong odor throughout the plane.
Obviously having a BM accident while on an airplane is a disaster. Thankfully for me it's extremely rare. But I wonder why you don't use an internal deodorant? I had a BM accident a few years back when I was flying to Ireland. I'd been using chlorophyll and nobody noticed. But still it was completely uncomfortable. I didn't even tried to clean up and change. I hate bathrooms for flying. Too small. I had to sit with a loaded diaper for hours. I had been wearing a Confidry 24/7, NS Eternadry contour booster and plastic pants with compression shorts. Still, who likes to sit in a poopy diaper for hours?
Having a wet diaper isn't bad. As long as you're wearing a quality diaper, boosters and plastic pants. Must have been embarrassing when the plane smelled your accident (and diverted).

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, newAB43, Diprs2 and 2 others
I feel for the unfortunate person who had the diarrhea. I can’t count how many thousands of messy pants I’ve had throughout my life. And, yes, I am always diapered whether flying or not.

As a practical matter, I agree with @Ellyn If someone has a history of close calls and accidents, they should wear a diaper while flying. And, no, TSA has never patted me down despite decades of me going through security wearing a diaper. Let’s get over the shame people!

To add to @greatlake5 comment, I have been taking Chlorophyll daily for the last four months and it has been a Godsend. Very little smell from my BMs.

Last edited:
Reactions: forevertoddler, Pino, Freddie07601 and 8 others
Very unfortunate situation for everyone involved. The altitude doesn’t help someone hold it if the urge is strong. There is less air pressure at altitude than on the ground. Thus, any air inside your intestines is more apt to come out as your insides expand trying to hold it in. Ie explode vs implode (think titanic exploring submarine). Bottom line; the physics were against this poor person. Back to @Ellyn’s idea, wear a diaper. Plus, airplane washrooms are often disgusting.

• Wow
Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192, Seasonedcitizen, Freddie07601 and 6 others
greatlake5 said:
I had to sit with a loaded diaper for hours
Wow, that must have been uncomfortable. I would have had a major diaper rash after something like that. I’ve changed on planes many times. Not pleasant, I’ll admit.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, forevertoddler, ILuvDiapers and 5 others
TeeMousy said:
Near every time, until I got pre-approved and then only a randomly!

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, TeeMousy, Ellyn and 3 others
Edgewater said:
Near every time, until I got pre-approved and then only a randomly!
Flying with incontinence without TSA Precheck is just a terrible idea. One of the best ways to spend your money.

Reactions: Diprs2, Seasonedcitizen, Ellyn and 3 others
ILuvDiapers said:
Yes, though they aren't allowed to embarrass you. If you are wearing a diaper on a flight and you inform the airline before the flight, they inform the security so that you are not publicly embarrassed, when going through the checks.
Good to know. Although they didn’t embarrass me. It just took me by surprise the first time I thought maybe it was the clothes I had on. But on the return flight I was prepared and wore different clothes and still got flagged. But by that time I was used to it and kind of enjoyed it a little. 😜

• Haha
Reactions: Diprs2, Seasonedcitizen, Ellyn and 2 others
Back