"Littles" with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome

Took me a while, but I finally figured out a new plan for diapers.
It took as long as it did because we moved, then I wound up in the hospital, then a bunch of other stuff happened, and I wasn't sure where/when to wear them.
Ordered a sample of Tykables camelots, going to try this out.

caitianx said:
Good Morning Lil_Shadow,

When it come to Asperger's Syndrome in women, their clinical presentation is different from us men, due to the fact that women really try to cognitively pound down obvious traits of being on the Autism Spectrum.
yup, autism in women oftentimes goes undiagnosed, because of masking and mirroring due to the pressure on girls to be more social. temple grandin spoke about this if you're interested in hearing what she has to say

Reactions: perlFerret
furbyreg said:
yup, autism in women oftentimes goes undiagnosed, because of masking and mirroring due to the pressure on girls to be more social. temple grandin spoke about this if you're interested in hearing what she has to say
The thing is, while both autism and ADHD do often present differently in women, it can present the same way in men, and other way round. While there is a correlation, calling it male and female autism makes it harder for people to get diagnosed who don't fit that pattern.

My ADHD wasn't diagnosed back 14y ago, since I didn't present as they expected from what they saw back then. When I got my autism diagnosis, the Professor even noted that he was surprised, because while for some traits I was typical, as he expected, but for several others I was more like he expected autism to be like in women.

It's a complicated subject, and I think we're doing things wrong if we don't say that autism and ADHD can present in different ways, because otherwise those who don't conform to the gender expectations may be dismissed.

An observation...
A lot of us autistics are open to being transgendered and genderfluid.

Reactions: NinaAlex and perlFerret
This morning my mother discovered some asshole stole her car's catalytic converter. My dad had to come over and take a look at the car. He couldn't fix it today, so he's sleeping over. That makes me feel nervous because he's a narc and my mom is trying to play nice with him. I'm going to try to focus on self-care tonight.

NinaAlex said:
The thing is, while both autism and ADHD do often present differently in women, it can present the same way in men, and other way round. While there is a correlation, calling it male and female autism makes it harder for people to get diagnosed who don't fit that pattern.

My ADHD wasn't diagnosed back 14y ago, since I didn't present as they expected from what they saw back then. When I got my autism diagnosis, the Professor even noted that he was surprised, because while for some traits I was typical, as he expected, but for several others I was more like he expected autism to be like in women.

It's a complicated subject, and I think we're doing things wrong if we don't say that autism and ADHD can present in different ways, because otherwise those who don't conform to the gender expectations may be dismissed.
i agree, we shouldn't label different autistic traits as "male autism" and "female autism" it's all autism! it's a spectrum and everyone is very different

furbyreg said:
i agree, we shouldn't label different autistic traits as "male autism" and "female autism" it's all autism! it's a spectrum and everyone is very different
Correct.
Gender differences do not matter.
It is still Autism.
It also does not matter with respect to my Autism that I am Genderfluid and Asexual.
It is all Autism.

Reactions: rainbowpenguin
caitianx said:
My diagnosis came at age 47.
I have a lot of Autistic traits.
Extreme hyperfocus on special interests.
No ability to read facial expressions in others except Happy or Furious.
Little Professor Syndrome.
"Little Precessor Syndrome". That is a very real thing!

Yes!
"Little Professor Syndrome"
I was mega annoying to my Dad with me going on and on about Science Stuff I know.

• Haha
Reactions: KrankyPants
MailCat581 said:
I have a Samsung Galaxy watch that I wear that monitors my heart rate.
We are in the Autistic Galaxy Watch club! 😎 *high five*

Reactions: Deleted member 41919
KrankyPants said:
"Little Precessor Syndrome". That is a very real thing!
That reminds me of my boyfriend, who's also autistic. One time when he was 8 or 9, he was watching a documentary about a monkey getting a vivisection and his mom walked in on it, and then quietly walked out. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: KrankyPants
rainbowpenguin said:
That reminds me of my boyfriend, who's also autistic. One time when he was 8 or 9, he was watching a documentary about a monkey getting a vivisection and his mom walked in on it, and then quietly walked out. 🤣
That's funny! For me, I describe things that people find confusing. Here's a good example and I've been doing things since little....

Tonight my mother called me because the television in the basement had a message that came up and she cannot exit it. I told her I'd be right there. On arrival, there was a message on the screen stating it cannot play "HDCP" content.

I have a way of explaining things like the message on screen while troubleshooting. I explained to my mother what HDCP is and that it is not true since videos on Netflix and Hulu work just fine because the television is HDCP compatible and the message is coming from the cable DVR receiver.

Once I power cycled it, I continued to explain how HDCP algorithms work and why over the air signal being digital signals and HDCP is a thing with cable providers. Believe it or not, my mom said "Okay, the TV is back on, can you please close the menus so I can see their cute kids?" I said, "Okay, but mom I can tell the image is not as clear as it can be, let me make sure it's still 1080p, because the cable box menu is still fuzzy."

I opened the Samsung TV menu and noticed the cable box is connected to the second HDMI port which does not allow the "fit to screen" option, which is why the cable box menu is fuzzy. I tried adjusting it while explaining and mom was like "enough fine tuning it's fine the way it is!" So I back off and said "Okay, okay". Then I went upstairs.

I went back downstairs to the basement an hour later asking if it was still working, she said yes and I said "You don't realize because most programs are formatted to compensate for this, but on each edge of the screen there are about 2" of image that you currently cannot see because the signal is not "fit to screen". Then, even after an hour of not messing with settings, mom said "maybe later..." And I said "when nobody is using the tv I'll sneak in and fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: perlFerret, rainbowpenguin and Deleted member 41919
MailCat581 said:
I'm the same way. I'll dubiously describe something using the tedious technical terminology (There I go; being like Captain Turbot on Paw Patrol again). Only to have to correct myself when people look at me with confused faces.
I loved your comment because that's exactly it. It feels natural to us and to others unnatural and odd, and quirky. Like don't ask [enter name] that, he will go on and on even if you don't pay them attention. I honestly feel that if I ask a question and it takes them a second to answer that they have a short attention span. I do know because I practiced keeping a conversation with my doctor that I just share interests at 11 instead of 6-7.

Do you ever have that happen where if feels like you can't share information about your favorite subject to people who love you because you have had a situation where they say "I don't understand and you kept going on and didn't listen to me when I told you I don't understand/care?"

Last edited:
caitianx said:
An observation...
A lot of us autistics are open to being transgendered and genderfluid.
Do me a favor, drop the 'transgendered' for 'transgender'.
Transgendered is being used by people opposed to us, as a way to reinforce the idea that this is something that was done to us, by whatever conspiracy suits their needs or believes.

But yes, autistic people seem to be less bound by social norms, so it may be easier for us to put our own evaluation of what feels right, over what society tells us who we should be.
Another factor may be that since what society tells us how we should be, can result in a lot of pain and suffering until we find our own path, and our own way to do things. That may just make it easier to critically examine other things society insists about us, and question them, and go with our feeling.

An apology for my error.
Anyway, I am okay.
A little bit sad.

Tomorrow my adult size baby bottle arrives in the mail! I can't wait to try it out with some milk. ^_^

Back